Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index
 The RulesThe Rules FAQFAQ
   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   CalendarCalendar   SearchSearch 

Buckley's sudden shift in recruiting stance: Gubby Effect?

Users browsing this topic:0 Registered, 0 Hidden and 0 Guests
Registered Users: None

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index -> General Discussion

Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
View previous topic :: View next topic  
inxs88 

PostPosted: Sat Sep 10, 2016 10:29 am
Post subject: Buckley's sudden shift in recruiting stance: Gubby Effect?Reply with quote

Interesting two weeks ago Bucks alluded at a presser that Boomer and players north of 28 years of age were not really on the radar screen. Flash forward 2 weeks later and we are into:

* Chris Mayne
* Ivan Maric
* Brent Harvey
* Nick DalSanto
* Daniel Wells
* Brett Delidio

Not saying I am against it, but there definitely is a change of philosophy that I contribute to the "Gubby Effect". Outside the dalliance with Q stick in 2012, Nathan should get credit for investing in youth and building a squad that I think can challenge in the future.

However, I think Gubby may be an allie in pushing Bucks to be a tad more "risky" in pursuing mature age talent that can supplement the current list build. With a squad in 2017 that shall be bereft of anyone being north of 29 years of age, to me if we can top up 2-3 players that are essentially "free in the market place" and don't dent the salary cap should be worth considering.

Who would I take?

* Wells: 2 year deal who'll "de stress Pie fans when kicking"
* Harvey: 1 year deal, would kick 30 goals+ and be a great role model
* Ricky Henderson: has to be keen to move after being unfairly omitted
* Maric: only on a rookie list

Whatever, happens should be an interesting trade period.

Pies4shaw Leo

pies4shaw

PostPosted: Sat Sep 10, 2016 10:52 am
Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm not sure that there's much of a change. Collingwood has recruited ordinary, underperforming, out of contract or over the hill players since free agency began. Think Lynch, Russell, Young, White, Greenwood - and don't forget they seriously contemplated Kreuzer last year.

Sometimes it works, sometimes it doesn't. I think one needs to look at the entirety of the recruiting once it's done to form a view. Personally, I prefer to watch the team win a bit more often, so if they would like to bring in the odd all-time great to help with that so it isn't quite as excruciating waiting for the children to learn how to play, then I'm not that distressed by it.

One thing that does worry me about the bargain-basement recruiting strategy is that champion key position players aged 22 to 24 don't turn up in the bargain bin very often. I think we need to bite the bullet and trade properly for a couple. At the moment, we have only 1 (Moore) that you would expect, given other players' injury and form history, to be playing 20 games per season at a high level in 2 years - others may but you wouldn't want to be betting on it.
What'sinaname Libra

PostPosted: Sat Sep 10, 2016 11:01 am

I personally think Gubby has been brought in to buy us a finals spot as everyone knows that Ed will have to make the tough call and sack Buckley if we fail to play finals in 2017.

This is about short term gain.

Pies4shaw Leo

pies4shaw

PostPosted: Sat Sep 10, 2016 11:06 am

Short term gain is fine. I think we've had quite enough long term pain for one decade.
RudeBoy 

PostPosted: Sat Sep 10, 2016 11:22 am
Post subject: Re: Buckley's sudden shift in recruiting stance: Gubby EffecReply with quote

inxs88 wrote:
Interesting two weeks ago Bucks alluded at a presser that Boomer and players north of 28 years of age were not really on the radar screen. Flash forward 2 weeks later and we are into:

* Chris Mayne
* Ivan Maric
* Brent Harvey
* Nick DalSanto
* Daniel Wells
* Brett Delidio

Not saying I am against it, but there definitely is a change of philosophy that I contribute to the "Gubby Effect". Outside the dalliance with Q stick in 2012, Nathan should get credit for investing in youth and building a squad that I think can challenge in the future.

However, I think Gubby may be an allie in pushing Bucks to be a tad more "risky" in pursuing mature age talent that can supplement the current list build. With a squad in 2017 that shall be bereft of anyone being north of 29 years of age, to me if we can top up 2-3 players that are essentially "free in the market place" and don't dent the salary cap should be worth considering.

Who would I take?

* Wells: 2 year deal who'll "de stress Pie fans when kicking"
* Harvey: 1 year deal, would kick 30 goals+ and be a great role model
* Ricky Henderson: has to be keen to move after being unfairly omitted
* Maric: only on a rookie list

Whatever, happens should be an interesting trade period.

No-one knows who we are actually into. There's a lot of smoke and mirrors at this time of year. I still hope and pray we do not go down the road of recruiting hacks and has beens from other clubs. If we do, I reckon it will set us back a couple of years.
thompsoc 

PostPosted: Sat Sep 10, 2016 11:22 am

What'sinaname wrote:
I personally think Gubby has been brought in to buy us a finals spot as everyone knows that Ed will have to make the tough call and sack Buckley if we fail to play finals in 2017.

This is about short term gain.

100% correct.
Can anyone see us recruiting anyone in the draft that will need a few years of development?
No, most will be ready made players.
Project players low in the draft maybe considered as they won't matter to Bux that much.

MightyMagpie 

PostPosted: Sat Sep 10, 2016 12:07 pm

Bucks has put it on the table that 2017 is make or break so no real surprise.

When you look at our retirements (Swan, Toovey, Macaffer), likely departures (Cloke) and possible departures we are left with very few experienced players so, again, it is no real surprise that we are looking to replace the experience.

PS Mayne is 27 according to WA Today's article.

kymbo5@yahoo.com.au 

PostPosted: Sat Sep 10, 2016 12:14 pm

[quote="Pies4shaw"]I'm not sure that there's much of a change. Collingwood has recruited ordinary, underperforming, out of contract or over the hill players since free agency began. Think Lynch, Russell, Young, White, Greenwood - and don't forget they seriously contemplated Kreuzer last year.

I would argue that White and Greenwood have been good to very good.

Luke Ball, Leigh Brown, Darren Jolly all did exceptionally also. You win some, you lose some. You miss 100% of the shots you don't take.

AN_Inkling 

PostPosted: Sat Sep 10, 2016 12:17 pm

We have 0 players over 30 and a very young squad overall. If we want to make finals we probably need to bring in one or two more mid to late aged players. I think our young team is good enough for finals now, but the competition for spots is stronger than any time I can remember, so it won't be easy and one or two more mature players might be needed.

With outs like: Cloke, Toovey, Macaffer it's quite important that we bring in some experience.

I'd be shocked if it was Harvey though, don't see much sense in that.

AN_Inkling 

PostPosted: Sat Sep 10, 2016 12:21 pm

Wells on the other hand makes a lot of sense and would be awesome. Would take a chunk of cap though.
Cam Capricorn

Nick's BB Member #166

PostPosted: Sat Sep 10, 2016 12:35 pm

Youth comes through the draft automatically. I guess given we have no 30+ yr olds now that Swanny is gone and Cloke presumably goes [turns 30 in March next year], that there is room for some veterans [maybe three] to give us an experience boost.

Who I would go after:
Reece Conca [24 at start of 2017] -> back half or wing
Josh Green [24] -> replace Blair

Both would make us a harder, more aggressive team.

But on top of those we need some X factor and KPPs

neil Sagittarius

PostPosted: Sat Sep 10, 2016 12:51 pm

Green is lazy do not want
Also Fasolo and Elliot are back next year so small forward spot is filled. If you like you can add Broomhead and probably Brown and Daicos to that position

Pies4shaw Leo

pies4shaw

PostPosted: Sat Sep 10, 2016 1:02 pm

kymbo5@yahoo.com.au wrote:
Pies4shaw wrote:
I'm not sure that there's much of a change. Collingwood has recruited ordinary, underperforming, out of contract or over the hill players since free agency began. Think Lynch, Russell, Young, White, Greenwood - and don't forget they seriously contemplated Kreuzer last year.

I would argue that White and Greenwood have been good to very good.

Luke Ball, Leigh Brown, Darren Jolly all did exceptionally also. You win some, you lose some. You miss 100% of the shots you don't take.

No argument with me. I was commenting on the players as they were when they were recruited, not what they did (or didn't do) at Collingwood when they got here.
Pies4shaw Leo

pies4shaw

PostPosted: Sat Sep 10, 2016 1:06 pm

MightyMagpie wrote:
Bucks has put it on the table that 2017 is make or break so no real surprise.

When you look at our retirements (Swan, Toovey, Macaffer), likely departures (Cloke) and possible departures we are left with very few experienced players so, again, it is no real surprise that we are looking to replace the experience.

PS Mayne is 27 according to WA Today's article.

Mayne is 27 - but he turns 28 on 2 November.
The Boy Who Cried Wolf 

PostPosted: Sat Sep 10, 2016 1:19 pm

The 'Sack Effect' would have been a slightly more appropriate name imo.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index -> General Discussion All times are GMT + 11 Hours

Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
Page 1 of 5   

Jump to: