Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index
 The RulesThe Rules FAQFAQ
   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   CalendarCalendar   SearchSearch 

What can we learn from finals teams

Users browsing this topic:0 Registered, 0 Hidden and 0 Guests
Registered Users: None

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index -> General Discussion

Goto page Previous  1, 2
View previous topic :: View next topic  
neil Sagittarius

PostPosted: Mon Sep 12, 2016 4:43 pm
Post subject: Reply with quote

piedys wrote:

What's that old saying? If you put enough monkeys in front of enough typewriters, with enough paper, for long enough, that one of the simians will eventually churn out War & Peace? Shocked

Wrong totally wrong the internet has proven this is false Very Happy

STOKA35 Capricorn

PostPosted: Mon Sep 12, 2016 5:27 pm

Darkstranger wrote:
What I learnt is the following:

Both teams in the Prelim (GWS & Geel) were belted by Collingwood.

Bulldogs who played the game of their life should have lost twice to us. Hawthorn who probably should have won lost to a team that we belted and should have also lost to us as well...

So, I reckon with a bit of tweaking we could challenge next year.

Lesson over.

That what I thought
Is it the hope we are looking for
piedys Taurus

Heeeeeeere's Dyso!!!

PostPosted: Mon Sep 12, 2016 5:50 pm

neil wrote:
piedys wrote:

What's that old saying? If you put enough monkeys in front of enough typewriters, with enough paper, for long enough, that one of the simians will eventually churn out War & Peace? Shocked

Hmmm... i'm tempted to start a gofundme site to myth-bust that! Wink

neil Sagittarius

PostPosted: Mon Sep 12, 2016 8:42 pm

piedys wrote:
neil wrote:
piedys wrote:

Hmmm... i'm tempted to start a gofundme site to myth-bust that! Wink
Very Happy Very Happy Very Happy Very Happy
AN_Inkling 

PostPosted: Mon Sep 12, 2016 8:54 pm
Post subject: Re: What can we learn from finals teamsReply with quote

RudeBoy wrote:
qldmagpie67 wrote:
I've actually watched with some interest the finals unravel so far and looked at the styles and plans that appear to be successful.
Thus far the teams who have applied the most pressure and made the most tackles have been winners.
The Bulldogs and Giants showed relentless pressure will undo any side
Also the teams that run and carry and take the game on more are being more successful. Is this to do with the opposition or more so that it isn't giving sides defences time to settle ?
Also just over 60% of all goals scored have been by hybrid types, crumbing forwards and midfielders. Yes a few power forwards have kicked some but the vast majority have been by non KPF
If this is the standard that will make you successful then maybe we have a chance to a finals side in 2017
We have developed a run and carry style that has been developing well since the bye and when we really commit to it and take the game on we have opened up the opposition consistently.
We have the hybrid type forwards and if they can become more consistent then our scoring potential increases markedly.
Our mids have shown they can kick goals they need to probably find 6-10 goals a game between the weekly for us to be winning games. It's possible especially if Treloar DeGoey Sidey Greenwood Aish and Crisp can stay fit. Also Adams Pendles Wills Phillips Varcoe aren't slouches in front of goal.
Moore we all know is going to be a star but he's going to need help. So a White Howe Reid or whoever else we play as the tall forward options must either clear space for Moore to be one on one or get deep and be dangerous themselves.
Fasalo Elliott Howe (any combination of 2) need to find 35+ goals each
I think we need to show daring coming out of defence which means we need to clean up our disposal drastically. We need to find that outlet who can then link with the running midfield and get the ball moving forward quickly.
One constant over all games in the finals for the majority of time slow ball movement doesn't get the job done consistently.
The last factor is the defensive pressure applied inside your attacking 50. It has to be manic and consistent at all times. Getting goals from turnovers is a huge momentum builder and also the more work defenders have to do the more mistakes they are inclined to make.
I would rather see us losing each games by backing ourselves and being courageous and sticking to a attacking game plan than dick around with the ball and eventually turn it over 70m from goal and be back under pressure.
I wonder how a young Brown or Daicos may add some real crumbing skills and defensive pressure in our forward 50

We definitely play a similar hard tackling and run and carry game as the winners you mentioned. We also beat the Cats, Giants and should have beaten the Dogs and Hawks, which suggests we are not that far off being a serious contender. What we need, imo, which the Giants and Dogs have plenty of, is a bit more genuine leg speed through the middle. As it stands, really only Varcoe and Treloar have genuine pace, though Adams is reasonably quick. Pendles, Sidey, Crisp, De Goey and Wills all lack pace. That's why it may be worth a punt on a player like Wells to give us that extra bit of outside pace.

I think we've shown our best is good enough. With a few more experienced players we'd be more likely to sustain something near that level.

The problem is that there are a number of teams outside the 8 who's best is good enough. What we'll see next year is which of them take the leap to perform consistently.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index -> General Discussion All times are GMT + 11 Hours

Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2   

Jump to: