Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index
 The RulesThe Rules FAQFAQ
   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   CalendarCalendar   SearchSearch 

Federal Budget

Users browsing this topic:0 Registered, 0 Hidden and 0 Guests
Registered Users: None

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index -> Victoria Park Tavern

Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Wokko Pisces

Come and take it.

PostPosted: Wed May 10, 2017 12:49 pm
Post subject: Federal BudgetReply with quote

Congratulations to Labor on getting their budget through the lower house.

Seriously, may as well merge the LibLabs at this point.
Culprit Cancer

PostPosted: Wed May 10, 2017 4:38 pm
Post subject: Reply with quote

What's missing in all the smokes and mirrors is the lifting of the debt ceiling. Shocked So much for the Fiscal Perfectionist. I think the LNP have done it that way so they can blame Labor. Laughing
David Libra

I dare you to try

PostPosted: Wed May 10, 2017 5:40 pm

Still proposing to drug-test welfare recipients. Who but the Libs would think of something like that?
Skids Cancer

Quitting drinking will be one of the best choices you make in your life.

PostPosted: Wed May 10, 2017 5:55 pm

David wrote:
Still proposing to drug-test welfare recipients. Who but the Libs would think of something like that?

What's wrong with that?

When i was doing the State housing maintenance, the number of dole bludgers sittung around doing ferk all but pulling bucket bongs and drinking premix cans was huge.
They're supposed to be looking for work! The billions if dollars they leech off the taxpayer isn't to buy pot.

David Libra

I dare you to try

PostPosted: Wed May 10, 2017 5:59 pm

Which ignores the fact that some of the most vulnerable long-term unemployed people are in fact drug addicts. Let's test them and cut their pension so they turn to crime to survive! Good thinking!
HAL 

Please don't shout at me - I can't help it.

PostPosted: Wed May 10, 2017 5:59 pm

Skids wrote:
[quote="David"]Still proposing to drug-test welfare recipients. Who but the Libs would think of something like that?[/quote]

What's wrong with that?

When i was doing the State housing maintenance, the number of dole bludgers sittung around doing ferk all but pulling bucket bongs and drinking premix cans was huge.
They're supposed to be looking for work! The billions if dollars they leech off the taxpayer isn't to buy pot.
It would be nice if it was made up of only good memories.
Mugwump 

PostPosted: Wed May 10, 2017 7:02 pm

David wrote:
Which ignores the fact that some of the most vulnerable long-term unemployed people are in fact drug addicts. Let's test them and cut their pension so they turn to crime to survive! Good thinking!

As thinking goes, it's not quite as good as paying them for their lifestyle choices because of their implicit threat of criminal behaviour. God forbid that they should be expected to take some responsibility for their lives and their obligations to society. It's not like we have anything better to spend the money on.

stui magpie Gemini

Prepare for the worst, hope for the best.

PostPosted: Wed May 10, 2017 7:05 pm

David wrote:

Or maybe get them into rehab?

If they do turn to crime maybe a stint in forced rehab (aka gaol) would help.

I reckon the measure to divert people into rehab and put their money on cashless debit cards that have limited usage would be met with applause from some of the parents of these alleged addicts.

Morrigu Capricorn

PostPosted: Wed May 10, 2017 7:21 pm

David wrote:

And no extra money for detox beds and services and longer term residential places post detox which are critical!

There is no point detoxing someone - we were only allowed 6 days ( I don't know whether this has changed) which with the exception of benzos could physiologically detox but not psychologically detox or assist someone to develop adequate coping strategies and then sending them back to the same environment ( frequently toxic) that they came from!!!

I ran a drug and alcohol residential detox unit years ago - we had to take " compulsory" or court mandated clients - never ever worked - they usually just fcked it up for those trying so hard! Evil or Very Mad

That having been said there is a reasonable cohort of welfare recipients who are not addicts but who choose to use as lifestyle - no reason they couldn't work and no issue with stricter criteria for them to continue to receive tax payer funded payments!!

HAL 

PostPosted: Wed May 10, 2017 7:24 pm

Do you run for exercise?
Culprit Cancer

PostPosted: Wed May 10, 2017 7:34 pm

Drug testing welfare recipients is a Facebook policy to appease the gullible. It's not cost effective and will do nothing regarding the issue of drug use. It's there to grab votes from the non thinkers. We spend the money to put them on a cash card. How many of the 5000 are drug users? Let's say 20% so you have found 100. Big $$%^%%$ deal.Has anyone actually on here purchase illicit drugs? You don't get a shit load of cash on the dole, it's not as if you can buy a fortnights supply. Drug users are more likely to seek an alternative means of income to buy their gear so putting them on a cash card achieves nothing. But hey they get some votes. Wake up.
Pies4shaw Leo

pies4shaw

PostPosted: Wed May 10, 2017 8:21 pm

But it helps us as a society to dehumanise the poor and blame them for their lot.
HAL 

PostPosted: Wed May 10, 2017 8:25 pm

What does "it" refer to?
stui magpie Gemini

Prepare for the worst, hope for the best.

PostPosted: Wed May 10, 2017 8:58 pm

Pies4shaw wrote:
But it helps us as a society to dehumanise the rich and blame them for our lot.

Amended to provide a counter point.

David Libra

I dare you to try

PostPosted: Wed May 10, 2017 9:46 pm

Mugwump wrote:
David wrote:

As thinking goes, it's not quite as good as paying them for their lifestyle choices because of their implicit threat of criminal behaviour. God forbid that they should be expected to take some responsibility for their lives and their obligations to society. It's not like we have anything better to spend the money on.

Honestly, what difference does it make whether an unemployed person is having a bong hit three times a week or sitting around watching TV all day? It's just a populist exercise in dividing the "worthy" and "unworthy" poor a bit of red meat for the tabloids who are pissed off about their rich mates not getting a tax cut this time.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index -> Victoria Park Tavern All times are GMT + 11 Hours

Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
Page 1 of 5   

Jump to: