Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index
 The RulesThe Rules FAQFAQ
   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   CalendarCalendar   SearchSearch 

The mega deal that could propel us to premiership contender

Users browsing this topic:0 Registered, 0 Hidden and 1 Guest
Registered Users: None

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index -> General Discussion

Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next
View previous topic :: View next topic  
qldmagpie67 

PostPosted: Fri Sep 09, 2016 6:19 am
Post subject: The mega deal that could propel us to premiership contenderReply with quote

Firstly let me state this is only a opinion.
If we want to really be in premiership contention we need to land a big fish
There isn't many on the market but there are clubs who may part with one to secure some players or draft picks

We are sure to draft Brown and Daicos and Keefe and Thomas will come onto the senior list as well.
So the mega deal I'm looking at goes as follows

Frost to Lions for pick 24
Oxley to Suns for pick 28
Cloke to Bulldogs for pick 31
Williams to Freo for pick 39
Witts and Sidebottom to Richmond for Rance & pick 43 + there first 2nd round draft pick 2017
Pick 24 + Richmond pick 2017 to GWS for Hoskin Elliott

So we land Rance & Hoskin Elliott and have picks 26, 28, 31, 39, 43, 44, 62 & 80
Depending on who bids what for Daicos & Brown we could use maybe 1 second pick and our 4th & 5th picks to land them both (allowing for our reduction of 20%) leaving us with say picks 28, 31, 39, 43, 44 to land 4 more players (maybe we can find a diamond in the rough like Beams at pick 28 or 31 or a Langdon with our 40's)

Now I know there's going to be carrying on about trading Sidey but to get a gun you need to give something up plus we would need to free up cap space to accomodate Rance. Yes we lose something but finding outside mids is a damn lot easier than finding a back man like Rance. Richmond get a ruck they need and some skill they desolately need and keeps them (in there opinion but not reality) in finals contention
We fill a huge weakness by adding Rance to our backline and frees up either Reid or Keefe to go forward
Hoskin Elliott complements a new look very mobile forward line with a couple of good marking talls and a couple hybrid types running free.
Aish can fill the Sidey role and move into the mid field. He's a decent mark his disposal is good (yes he mightn't have all the tricks Sidey has) and he runs ok and will only get better (he's 21 so 5yrs younger than Sidey)

Assuming everyone on our list is fit for round 1 our side could be something like this

B Ramsay Rance Maynard
HB Langdon Keefe Scharenberg
C Aish Treloar Crisp
HF Hoskin-Elliott Reid Howe
F Varcoe Moore Fasalo
R Grundy Adams Pendlebury
Int Greenwood DeGoey White Elliott
Emg Brown Daicos Sinclair Blair Broomhead Brown Smith Marsh Phillips Wills Crocker

It's only an opinion but heck I like the look of this side and it has depth and versatility for the coach to change things up during a game depending on momentum
think positive Libra

Side By Side

PostPosted: Fri Sep 09, 2016 7:59 am
Post subject: Reply with quote

Nope, we don't trade Sidey full stop. Crazy.
If Elliot doesn't make it back we need him for that roll. The thing with sidey is he can play anywhere from end to end, except as the talls.

All this about Keefe and Thomas walking back in. We don't even know if they are any good anymore. And I for one haven't forgiven them yet.

And Scharenberg? I'm not ready to count on him yet either. It's been a long time, it's a big step up from VFL, and we need to know his body will last.

Cloke for pick 31? Did you see the bulldog game? They don't need him. And that's too cheap. Keep him, play him back. Or as a foil for Moore when needed.

Aish is great, but we need Sideys experience still.

I'd prefer to take less risks and see where we are round 10 next year.

woftam Gemini

I used to be undecided, but now I'm not so sure.

PostPosted: Fri Sep 09, 2016 8:02 am

Trade Sidey? Nope
Tigers trade Rance? Nope
Presti35 Virgo

Dick Lee for Legend Status

PostPosted: Fri Sep 09, 2016 8:09 am

As much as I'd love to get Rance, I would hate to lose Sidey.

I also think we could get a better pick for Williams... even if only 4 or 5 picks.

think positive Libra

Side By Side

PostPosted: Fri Sep 09, 2016 8:12 am

Don't get the trade Marley stuff. I really don't

Yeah he does some dumb things, our whole backline does. We need an honest to goodness defending general.

And some skills would help the whole team.

kymbo5@yahoo.com.au 

PostPosted: Fri Sep 09, 2016 9:02 am

I got to the bit about trading Sidebottom - then felt very sick.
MatthewBoydFanClub 

PostPosted: Fri Sep 09, 2016 9:02 am

think positive wrote:
Nope, we don't trade Sidey full stop. Crazy.
If Elliot doesn't make it back we need him for that roll. The thing with sidey is he can play anywhere from end to end, except as the talls.

All this about Keefe and Thomas walking back in. We don't even know if they are any good anymore. And I for one haven't forgiven them yet.

And Scharenberg? I'm not ready to count on him yet either. It's been a long time, it's a big step up from VFL, and we need to know his body will last.

Cloke for pick 31? Did you see the bulldog game? They don't need him. And that's too cheap. Keep him, play him back. Or as a foil for Moore when needed.

Aish is great, but we need Sideys experience still.

I'd prefer to take less risks and see where we are round 10 next year.

Spot on. If we want to self destruct and undo all the good work we did in recruiting Treloar, Aish and Howe, by all means trade Sidebottom for a downgrade to WHE (who may come to us anyway). The path to a premiership is a slow one, which Voss found out the hard way when Brisbane recruited Fevola.
mudlark 

PostPosted: Fri Sep 09, 2016 9:04 am

think positive wrote:

Yeah he does some dumb things, our whole backline does. We need an honest to goodness defending general.

How many "Dumb things"? can you do before you say enough is enough? Whorethorn would be playing an elimination final tonight if William had not have done any ONE of his 3 really dumb things.I've totally had a gut fun of his DUMD things.
think positive Libra

Side By Side

PostPosted: Fri Sep 09, 2016 10:40 am

mudlark wrote:
think positive wrote:

How many "Dumb things"? can you do before you say enough is enough? Whorethorn would be playing an elimination final tonight if William had not have done any ONE of his 3 really dumb things.I've totally had a gut fun of his DUMD things.

really? we lost the game by a point and its allllll Marleys fault? noone else did a boo boo? for the whooooolllllleeeeee game! no gimme hawks free kicks? no posters? woweeeee i must have been sitting in an alternate reality MCG!! that aint how i saw it!

even Blair did one boo boo!

if we had a general for the backline, he would make better decisions. look at Maxy, Look at Heater, thats what we need!

Magpietothemax Taurus

magpietothemax

PostPosted: Fri Sep 09, 2016 11:03 am

think positive wrote:
mudlark wrote:
think positive wrote:

really? we lost the game by a point and its allllll Marleys fault? noone else did a boo boo? for the whooooolllllleeeeee game! no gimme hawks free kicks? no posters? woweeeee i must have been sitting in an alternate reality MCG!! that aint how i saw it!

even Blair did one boo boo!

if we had a general for the backline, he would make better decisions. look at Maxy, Look at Heater, thats what we need!

Brilliant response.You and I seem to have similar views.Agree totally on Marley.To blame him for the 1 point loss is absurd. We need his dyamism and energy downback.With proper leadership, as you suggested, Williams would become a very good rebounding half back in his own right.
magpieazza 

magpieazza

PostPosted: Fri Sep 09, 2016 12:17 pm

Sidey is like the backbone to our midfield. Having lost Swanny is enough pain already.

Good on you qldmag for giving us something to think about but I want Collingwood to find a couple Key backs from lower leagues who could slip right in to cover Frost/Brown if they leave.

I still think getting in Dal Santo could be a masterstroke, on top of WHE, Mayne + Key back.

qldmagpie67 

PostPosted: Fri Sep 09, 2016 1:14 pm

Folks calm down I never said we should do this it was a simple way to thrust us in to contender status very quickly and really improve the team.
We need a big back man and Rance is the right age and experience. Hoskin-Elliott may not be any better than what we have but what we have hasn't been setting the world on fire and there's no guarantee Elliott will be back let alone back to his best.
For trading 1 player from our best 22 we get a all Australian defender entering his prime, WHE who was pick 4 and has a huge upside, gives us extra draft picks mostly in the second round and lands us Brown and Daicos without breaking the bank and we have 4 or 5 draft picks still to land some other players
I agree it won't happen but clubs some times need to be brave and make decisions that may seem harsh on a player or players but in the long term give the team the best chance to feature in the finals for a period of time.
If anyone thinks Rance wouldn't be worth chasing then they have zero idea about football he would be our general and glue holding the back line together
It was simply a way of showing how you can get a elite defender/player to your club without selling the future.
piedys Taurus

Heeeeeeere's Dyso!!!

PostPosted: Fri Sep 09, 2016 1:37 pm
Post subject: Re: The mega deal that could propel us to premiership contenReply with quote

qldmagpie67 wrote:
Firstly let me state this is only a opinion.
If we want to really be in premiership contention we need to land a big fish
There isn't many on the market but there are clubs who may part with one to secure some players or draft picks

So the mega deal I'm looking at goes as follows... etc

It's only an opinion but heck I like the look of this side and it has depth and versatility for the coach to change things up during a game depending on momentum

I like the amount of thought [Wiley Coyote type-genius] and calculations that you devoted to those trades, but way, way, too many things would have to fall our way to get even close to making it happen.
You really need that snow-ball effect and with negotiating and trading of picks with other clubs who aren't actually intent on reeming us, which would seem to be in the vast minority...

Wokko Pisces

Come and take it.

PostPosted: Fri Sep 09, 2016 1:54 pm

I both love and hate this time of year.

This post explains the hate.
Piesnchess 

piesnchess

PostPosted: Fri Sep 09, 2016 2:22 pm

Tell him hes dfreamin. - Darrly Kerrigan.

Chess and Vodka are born brothers. - Russian proverb.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index -> General Discussion All times are GMT + 11 Hours

Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next
Page 1 of 3   

Jump to: