Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index
 The RulesThe Rules FAQFAQ
   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   CalendarCalendar   SearchSearch 

Buckley's sudden shift in recruiting stance: Gubby Effect?

Users browsing this topic:0 Registered, 0 Hidden and 1 Guest
Registered Users: None

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index -> General Discussion

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5
View previous topic :: View next topic  
burnsy17 Virgo

PostPosted: Mon Sep 12, 2016 4:16 pm
Post subject: Reply with quote

35forever wrote:
Our list is better than Hawthorn or Geelong, they are simply better led..

Geez you talk some garbage!

How about we compare the two? Put some facts to the argument? I'll highlight the winning player in each position and leave blanks the break evens..... Hawks win hands down - which is why they've won the last 3 flags!!!

Pies Backs: Ramsey, Brown, Maynard, Langdon, Ried, Sharenberg
Hawks Backs: Birchall, Frawley, Burgoyne, Gibson, Straton, Whitecross

Pies Mids: Sidebottom, Swan, Pendlebury, Trealor, Adams, Grundy
Hawks Mids: Hill, Mitchell, Smith, Hodge, Lewis, McEvoy

Pies forwards: Elliott, Blair, Cloke, Moore, Fasolo, White
Hawks forwards: Rioli, Puopolo, Roughead, Gunston, Breust, Sicily

Pies bench: Greenwood, Crisp, Varcoe, Aish,
Hawks bench: Hartung, Langford, Ceglar, Duryea

Lazza 

PostPosted: Mon Sep 12, 2016 4:22 pm

burnsy17 wrote:
35forever wrote:
Our list is better than Hawthorn or Geelong, they are simply better led..

Geez you talk some garbage!

'Aint THAT the truth........ Rolling Eyes

MatthewBoydFanClub 

PostPosted: Mon Sep 12, 2016 5:02 pm

mudlark wrote:
think positive wrote:
mudlark wrote:
think positive wrote:
mudlark wrote:
35forever wrote:
Yeah, we're in a REAL funny situation, bloody hilarious!
If I barracked for any of the other 17 sides I'd be pi$$ing myself!
The genesis of Buckley's stated disinterest in older players came when he was asked if he had any interest in Boomer Harvey. His very revealing answer was that he didn't, as Boomer was better suited to a side whose "window" was open... IE: a side who had a snowman's chance in hell of playing a part in September. IE: Not us. Oh no, according to the Great Man, OUR window will be open around 2019-2023. (Perhaps he does have plans to retire after all?)
Well at least the man is smart enough to know how likely a Collingwood Flag is while the cancer called Buckley is eating the heart of our club.
This year there was a chance of course, all King Eddie had to do was wave his magic wand and consider the other million people beside himself & his best mate, and appoint ANY other coach, and the nightmare would be over. The 5 years of horrific games - more of them every year, the record low attendances, the loss of our 60 odd years as the Vic. club with the highest membership. All these and several other symptoms of our illness could have been wiped away in an instant if Eddie had seen fit not to piss another year away, and do what must be done to make us great again. But he's not going to. He's going to toss 2017 onto the bonfire of Buckley's ego, and ensure mediocrity for years to come. Then next week, he's going to let the members have their say about 2017, after all the decisions have been made. But fear not, he'll listen to your thoughts on member seating, membership packages, Women's football, and other peripheral shite. I'm guessing 4 or 5 people will get to ask a question, as long s it's not about anything important. Then he'll tell you about the exciting new things planned for members in 2017, and you'll all be suitably impressed, and you'll clap like brain dead morons while the great men smile benevolently and get the hell out of there having done their bit to soothe the plebs for another year.
But rest assured, 2017 will NOT be Buckley's last year. The list we have is simply too good to keep down and we will win around 12-13 games, just enough to scrape into 7th or 8th, making Buckley a genius supercoach, and earning him a 3 year extension of the nightmare. In 2018 we'll scrape in again, but betweeen the 2 years we'll win one final, then in 2019 we'll be right here again, having missed the finals and we'll be debating all over again while half a dozen wise ones insist that we're very close, and that the players and bad luck was to blame. Before you know it a decade will have passed. Another long decade, thrown away by ego, greed, and stupidity. Just like the 80's & 90's.

This could all have been ended 3 years ago, don't tell me you don't wish it had been.

Sanctimonious wanker.The only "Brain dead morons" and Plebs I ca
n see here are you and the the folk who support you comments and there;s no friggin' surprises in that lot.

Hang on, your the one dishing the abuse. He is entitled to his opinion, if you don't like his opinion ignore his posts, and yes I know everyone has arseholes and opinions! I may not get as emotionally carried away as he does but he does have some points I agree with. I don't agree with those who think our coach is leading us to the cup, I did, I no longer do, but I don't feel the need to slag them off either. Basically, I'm saying, grow up.

So hang on a tick!!Calling the Collingwood membership "Brain dead morons' and Plebs" is What??? I'm not disputing his 'Points" at all. His opinions are his and he is perfectly entitled to them along with the membership of Collingwood haters,which you seem to subscribe to as well, but,as a member of the Collingwood football club,I take extreme umbrage at being called a "Brain dead moron" and /or a pleb.THAT is what I object to.
My opinion,which the haters point blank refuse to see,because it is an "Excuse" is we have not been Decimated by injuries,as you know ,decimation is a tenth of something,we have been crippled by a 55% injury list to our most senior players but heaven help anyone who uses that as a REASON!!! I mean,poor old Hawthorn lost Roughie due to illness and we had our own "Members" saying "What about that"???
I had thought of going through every teams list and taking out the full complement of injured Pies players on a like for like basis and see how the other teams would stack up and how the Collingwood haters would view that,but I haven't the patience.Maybe someone else would like to.You know,Swannie,Geelong,Danger,Hawthorn,Mitchel,Adelaide ,Sloane, Etc and so on until all our outs were covered and see how the other teams would stack up.
I stand by my comment.

as a paid up legends member, I hardly count as a Collingwood hater.

two years ago there was supposed to be an investigation into our run of injuries. since not all teams have had our run of "bad luck" what do you think the problem is and why isn't our "luck" getting better? 55% injured. what the hell is wrong with our training/playing methods

by the way, ive always believed you make your own luck

and youll also note I don't need to resort to petty name calling, cheer

Your first response seems to be somewhat of an oxymoron as most "Paid up members" whether that be legends or 3 game members seem to think it it is their "Right" to call Buckley,Eddie ,a good slice of the playing list,the trainers etc,a range of derogatory names s you yourself have been called a "Brain dead moron/pleb ,someone else words,not mine,yet you feel happy to stand up for this?/Well,you know what I called it. Strange attitude I must admit.
I'm assuming you think collision injuries and knee injuries are the domain of the Collingwood fitness management.Lets's see.Swan shatters his foot,Scharenberg and Ramsey do their knees,Elliot has what appears to be a career ending back injury??/or complaint.Anyone with back issues would,I'm sure clarify that there is not much you can do about it. Faso nearly broke his neck and then broke his collar bone,Hardly a fitness issue.Witts broke his hand,Sinclair and Gault have concussion issues.This leaves Moore,who tore a hammy in round 22 and Adams with soft tissue.Hardly an epidemic you'd have to say.
Ask Troy Menzel and Geelong about knees.They might query yours to whether it was a "Fitness 'thing.
We've thrown all but 1 of our list into the senior team this year and beat 3 of the 4 finalists we played at the end of the year and lost to the pricks in the last round by a point and we all know we were better on the day but a few very bad decisions by some senior players cost us that one,so I believe we are,indeed,making not only our own luck,but developing a great list by a coach who wants the list to be his and not a bunch of know all supporters,who scream,'Play the kids,Play the kids" and when they do and they don't do the job ,they whinge that we have no experience???
And finally ,if you are happy to be called a brain dead moron and a pleb then i rest comfortably in the knowledge that perhaps it is indeed the case.I once again,stand by this comment.

Wink

I think her criticism is warranted FWIW. All clubs have injuries and ours run deeper than a lot of other clubs, but not as bad as Brisbane or Gold Coast. It's all about what you do to mitigate injuries with the way you operate your list management and our list management has been poor in my view. Any player who gets injured should a ready replacement from the list of 40-44 players. Certain players you can't replace so some years will be bad, but when you have three years in a row of bad injuries, it's something else other than bad luck.

I'm over blaming the coach and the head of fitness. It's simply an over expectation of the list and the quality of some of the players we retained on our list when we should have looked a bit deeper and analysed where our list was headed and made the changes we needed to make 2-3 years ago.

I concede that it's difficult to manage your list when GWS and GC get all the draft picks, but Geelong and Hawthorn managed their lists better than we did. Despite all the injuries, when you see premiership players in Brown, Cloke, Macaffer and Toovey playing VFL, you know you're doing something wrong. It's not the coach. He's doing his best. It's not the fault of the head of fitness. He's doing his best. It's not Derek Hine's fault. He's managed to find some gems in the draft the last few years.

It's the fault of the collective for overestimating the abilities of the list to at the very least contest finals for us and then pinpoint the players needed to improve the list to a point where we could deliver finals football, like Hawthorn have in picking up Lake and Frawley, or Geelong have in picking up Dangerfield.

I should add we corrected last year when we got Treloar, Aish and Howe and we're doing our best this year to improve the list. There's a lag time from when you make major changes to the list and when you start to reap the results of those changes. Where I differ to the optimists here is that I think we blundered the years between 2011 and 2013 away with poor recruitment, which threw Nathan Buckley to the cleaners, which no amount of astute coaching from him, could address the serial defects in the list.
E 

PostPosted: Mon Sep 12, 2016 5:40 pm

AN_Inkling wrote:
We have 0 players over 30 and a very young squad overall. If we want to make finals we probably need to bring in one or two more mid to late aged players. I think our young team is good enough for finals now, but the competition for spots is stronger than any time I can remember, so it won't be easy and one or two more mature players might be needed.

With outs like: Cloke, Toovey, Macaffer it's quite important that we bring in some experience.

I'd be shocked if it was Harvey though, don't see much sense in that.

harvey actually makes some sense. Imagine you view Brown or Daicos as the long term answer up forward for our crumbing forward. well its hard to imagine them bursting onto the scene and being a big difference maker in 2017. A boomer might be someone who can teach and play the position for a season while they catch on to the speed of the game and develop for another year.

Lazza 

PostPosted: Mon Sep 12, 2016 5:42 pm

E wrote:
AN_Inkling wrote:
We have 0 players over 30 and a very young squad overall. If we want to make finals we probably need to bring in one or two more mid to late aged players. I think our young team is good enough for finals now, but the competition for spots is stronger than any time I can remember, so it won't be easy and one or two more mature players might be needed.

With outs like: Cloke, Toovey, Macaffer it's quite important that we bring in some experience.

I'd be shocked if it was Harvey though, don't see much sense in that.

harvey actually makes some sense. Imagine you view Brown or Daicos as the long term answer up forward for our crumbing forward. well its hard to imagine them bursting onto the scene and being a big difference maker in 2017. A boomer might be someone who can teach and play the position for a season while they catch on to the speed of the game and develop for another year.

Hard to argue with the logic but CC definitely disagrees with that line of thinking E... Rolling Eyes

Big T 

PostPosted: Mon Sep 12, 2016 6:24 pm

Our defence is deplorable, other areas are solid. I would have thought this is the area tk focus on.
Cam Capricorn

Nick's BB Member #166

PostPosted: Mon Sep 12, 2016 6:26 pm

CarringbushCigar wrote:
Cam wrote:
Ok Mr Carringbush Cigar I want to challenge you. Tell us some positive things our club has done over the last 5 years, we've heard each and every one of your negative thoughts.

I actually supported extending Buckley for 1 year after 2016 NAB, primarily because there were reports we were going to extend for 2+.

Go and read my pre-trade rants on Treloar.
Totally bullish i was on he and Aish and thrilled the club got it done.
There's 2 or 3
I've always liked Josh Smith
I would be Maynard's biggest fan in Australia.
I love Derek Hine. I reckon Ben Hart is under-rated.
Are these negative thoughts?

I think letting go Russell and Young and Lynch were sound decisions :-p

I was really happy the club got a website.
Apparently we were one of the first clubs to adopt techniques for beer can cooling - known now as refrigeration.

Now here is a challenge for you Cam, feel free top use the brain power of Lazza and Dark Stranger to assist.
In all my negative thoughts that Ive apparently spewed forth onto this board for the last 5 years, name a few that have been wrong.

Thank you that's all I wanted to hear. I respect all posters and their viewpoints and won't resort to derogation. I shouldn't have singled you out, but I'm reading Power Without Glory at the moment so I was attracted by the name. I snapped, and should be rubbed out for 2 weeks down to 1 with an early plea Wink

I've played some footy and know its much easier to spoil than kick goals, so I like to see guys showing commitment at both ends to show perspective [like my opinion matters].

As for your comments, I think the reason it gets heated on here is we all see the validity of our own posts and feel the sting of missing finals. One side sees small wins as progress albeit slow, one side feels small wins cover terminal deficiencies. Yada yada yada we've heard it all a million times this year, the only way things will be restored to even [if possible] is either a dumped coach or at least a semi final in '17. Even if we make the prelim next year, if we lose, then I'm sure there would be copious fever unleashed on how Bucks got it wrong [in that game].

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index -> General Discussion All times are GMT + 11 Hours

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5
Page 5 of 5   

Jump to: