Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index
 The RulesThe Rules FAQFAQ
   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   CalendarCalendar   SearchSearch 

Buckley's sudden shift in recruiting stance: Gubby Effect?

Users browsing this topic:0 Registered, 0 Hidden and 1 Guest
Registered Users: None

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index -> General Discussion

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
View previous topic :: View next topic  
mudlark 

PostPosted: Sun Sep 11, 2016 4:55 pm
Post subject: Reply with quote

think positive wrote:
mudlark wrote:
35forever wrote:
Yeah, we're in a REAL funny situation, bloody hilarious!
If I barracked for any of the other 17 sides I'd be pi$$ing myself!
The genesis of Buckley's stated disinterest in older players came when he was asked if he had any interest in Boomer Harvey. His very revealing answer was that he didn't, as Boomer was better suited to a side whose "window" was open... IE: a side who had a snowman's chance in hell of playing a part in September. IE: Not us. Oh no, according to the Great Man, OUR window will be open around 2019-2023. (Perhaps he does have plans to retire after all?)
Well at least the man is smart enough to know how likely a Collingwood Flag is while the cancer called Buckley is eating the heart of our club.
This year there was a chance of course, all King Eddie had to do was wave his magic wand and consider the other million people beside himself & his best mate, and appoint ANY other coach, and the nightmare would be over. The 5 years of horrific games - more of them every year, the record low attendances, the loss of our 60 odd years as the Vic. club with the highest membership. All these and several other symptoms of our illness could have been wiped away in an instant if Eddie had seen fit not to piss another year away, and do what must be done to make us great again. But he's not going to. He's going to toss 2017 onto the bonfire of Buckley's ego, and ensure mediocrity for years to come. Then next week, he's going to let the members have their say about 2017, after all the decisions have been made. But fear not, he'll listen to your thoughts on member seating, membership packages, Women's football, and other peripheral shite. I'm guessing 4 or 5 people will get to ask a question, as long s it's not about anything important. Then he'll tell you about the exciting new things planned for members in 2017, and you'll all be suitably impressed, and you'll clap like brain dead morons while the great men smile benevolently and get the hell out of there having done their bit to soothe the plebs for another year.
But rest assured, 2017 will NOT be Buckley's last year. The list we have is simply too good to keep down and we will win around 12-13 games, just enough to scrape into 7th or 8th, making Buckley a genius supercoach, and earning him a 3 year extension of the nightmare. In 2018 we'll scrape in again, but betweeen the 2 years we'll win one final, then in 2019 we'll be right here again, having missed the finals and we'll be debating all over again while half a dozen wise ones insist that we're very close, and that the players and bad luck was to blame. Before you know it a decade will have passed. Another long decade, thrown away by ego, greed, and stupidity. Just like the 80's & 90's.

This could all have been ended 3 years ago, don't tell me you don't wish it had been.

Sanctimonious wanker.The only "Brain dead morons" and Plebs I ca
n see here are you and the the folk who support you comments and there;s no friggin' surprises in that lot.

Hang on, your the one dishing the abuse. He is entitled to his opinion, if you don't like his opinion ignore his posts, and yes I know everyone has arseholes and opinions! I may not get as emotionally carried away as he does but he does have some points I agree with. I don't agree with those who think our coach is leading us to the cup, I did, I no longer do, but I don't feel the need to slag them off either. Basically, I'm saying, grow up.

So hang on a tick!!Calling the Collingwood membership "Brain dead morons' and Plebs" is What??? I'm not disputing his 'Points" at all. His opinions are his and he is perfectly entitled to them along with the membership of Collingwood haters,which you seem to subscribe to as well, but,as a member of the Collingwood football club,I take extreme umbrage at being called a "Brain dead moron" and /or a pleb.THAT is what I object to.
My opinion,which the haters point blank refuse to see,because it is an "Excuse" is we have not been Decimated by injuries,as you know ,decimation is a tenth of something,we have been crippled by a 55% injury list to our most senior players but heaven help anyone who uses that as a REASON!!! I mean,poor old Hawthorn lost Roughie due to illness and we had our own "Members" saying "What about that"???
I had thought of going through every teams list and taking out the full complement of injured Pies players on a like for like basis and see how the other teams would stack up and how the Collingwood haters would view that,but I haven't the patience.Maybe someone else would like to.You know,Swannie,Geelong,Danger,Hawthorn,Mitchel,Adelaide ,Sloane, Etc and so on until all our outs were covered and see how the other teams would stack up.
I stand by my comment.
CarringbushCigar Taurus

PostPosted: Sun Sep 11, 2016 5:08 pm

AN_Inkling wrote:
CarringbushCigar wrote:
AN_Inkling wrote:
jackcass wrote:
Cam wrote:
Is Maric better than Witts? I'd suggest he is twice the footballer but half the tap ruckman, thar be Witts achilles heel...

Does Maric offer more as a player than Howe? Surely if we're chasing a player like Maric there has to be a coaching role involved, if not, I'd rather throw Howe an opportunity. At least he can pinch hit as a KPF as well as ruck.

He does. He's been an AFL player. If we think L.Howe can make it, maybe we offer him a shot as a rookie, but there is a benefit to having experienced players in this type of role.

Inkling - is there a trade you haven't supported?
Seem to recall you thought Armstrong and Russell were also recruit worthy.

I don't see a problem with either of those. They cost nothing and actually played some games for the club. They're not, especially Armstrong, the kind of deals to be concerned about.

From memory, most of the deals I'm against didn't end up happening. I don't like the idea of recruiting Harvey and I'm not enthusiastic about Jong. When we do sign a player, I like to give them a chance before claiming them a failure. I think the only recent one I'd label as such would be Clint Young.

You can't see the point in signing Maric, or some other experienced ruck as a third option backup? If we're trading Witts we need to bring in someone. The ideal situation would be that they play zero games in 2017. In this role, a player with experience that can help mentor our young rucks definitely makes sense.

I can see the need for a Witts replacement, but Maric is done!
If u want a ruck coach then get a ruck coach.
Who has Maric taught? Hampson?

Both Minson and Jamar played better than Maric in 2016
Minson could potentially bounce right back for a year.
Maric is finished.
AN_Inkling 

PostPosted: Sun Sep 11, 2016 5:17 pm

^^Fair enough. Maric did have a poor 2016. For me, whoever the club feels is the right fit (it's mostly going to be character wise, because the hope is they don't play much if at all) is fine by me as the role is very minor.
Cam Capricorn

Nick's BB Member #166

PostPosted: Sun Sep 11, 2016 6:24 pm

Ok Mr Carringbush Cigar I want to challenge you. Tell us some positive things our club has done over the last 5 years, we've heard each and every one of your negative thoughts.
The Boy Who Cried Wolf 

PostPosted: Sun Sep 11, 2016 8:23 pm

Cam wrote:
Ok Mr Carringbush Cigar I want to challenge you. Tell us some positive things our club has done over the last 5 years, we've heard each and every one of your negative thoughts.

How about you tell us, because honestly I'm scratching my head to think of many apart from Aish and Moore.
doriswilgus 

PostPosted: Sun Sep 11, 2016 8:28 pm

The Boy Who Cried Wolf wrote:
Cam wrote:

How about you tell us, because honestly I'm scratching my head to think of many apart from Aish and Moore.

Treloar?I think that's a big positive.
The Boy Who Cried Wolf 

PostPosted: Sun Sep 11, 2016 8:37 pm

doriswilgus wrote:
The Boy Who Cried Wolf wrote:
Cam wrote:

Treloar?I think that's a big positive.

He cost us a LOT but I guess its a positive.
Albert Parker 

PostPosted: Sun Sep 11, 2016 10:13 pm

But apart from the aqueducts, what have the Romans done for us?

Crisp as steak knives?
Aish, Treloar, Moore
I think Howe did his job too
For a rookie, Smith had a good year
Grundy's come along well in his development
There's still a bit of promise in many of our young players too - Adams, De Goey et alia.

I think the new addition to the Holden Centre/Olympic Park is a great facility too

think positive Libra

Side By Side

PostPosted: Sun Sep 11, 2016 10:21 pm

mudlark wrote:
think positive wrote:
mudlark wrote:
35forever wrote:
The genesis of Buckley's stated disinterest in older players came when he was asked if he had any interest in Boomer Harvey. His very revealing answer was that he didn't, as Boomer was better suited to a side whose "window" was open... IE: a side who had a snowman's chance in hell of playing a part in September. IE: Not us. Oh no, according to the Great Man, OUR window will be open around 2019-2023. (Perhaps he does have plans to retire after all?)
Well at least the man is smart enough to know how likely a Collingwood Flag is while the cancer called Buckley is eating the heart of our club.
This year there was a chance of course, all King Eddie had to do was wave his magic wand and consider the other million people beside himself & his best mate, and appoint ANY other coach, and the nightmare would be over. The 5 years of horrific games - more of them every year, the record low attendances, the loss of our 60 odd years as the Vic. club with the highest membership. All these and several other symptoms of our illness could have been wiped away in an instant if Eddie had seen fit not to piss another year away, and do what must be done to make us great again. But he's not going to. He's going to toss 2017 onto the bonfire of Buckley's ego, and ensure mediocrity for years to come. Then next week, he's going to let the members have their say about 2017, after all the decisions have been made. But fear not, he'll listen to your thoughts on member seating, membership packages, Women's football, and other peripheral shite. I'm guessing 4 or 5 people will get to ask a question, as long s it's not about anything important. Then he'll tell you about the exciting new things planned for members in 2017, and you'll all be suitably impressed, and you'll clap like brain dead morons while the great men smile benevolently and get the hell out of there having done their bit to soothe the plebs for another year.
But rest assured, 2017 will NOT be Buckley's last year. The list we have is simply too good to keep down and we will win around 12-13 games, just enough to scrape into 7th or 8th, making Buckley a genius supercoach, and earning him a 3 year extension of the nightmare. In 2018 we'll scrape in again, but betweeen the 2 years we'll win one final, then in 2019 we'll be right here again, having missed the finals and we'll be debating all over again while half a dozen wise ones insist that we're very close, and that the players and bad luck was to blame. Before you know it a decade will have passed. Another long decade, thrown away by ego, greed, and stupidity. Just like the 80's & 90's.

This could all have been ended 3 years ago, don't tell me you don't wish it had been.

n see here are you and the the folk who support you comments and there;s no friggin' surprises in that lot.

Hang on, your the one dishing the abuse. He is entitled to his opinion, if you don't like his opinion ignore his posts, and yes I know everyone has arseholes and opinions! I may not get as emotionally carried away as he does but he does have some points I agree with. I don't agree with those who think our coach is leading us to the cup, I did, I no longer do, but I don't feel the need to slag them off either. Basically, I'm saying, grow up.

So hang on a tick!!Calling the Collingwood membership "Brain dead morons' and Plebs" is What??? I'm not disputing his 'Points" at all. His opinions are his and he is perfectly entitled to them along with the membership of Collingwood haters,which you seem to subscribe to as well, but,as a member of the Collingwood football club,I take extreme umbrage at being called a "Brain dead moron" and /or a pleb.THAT is what I object to.
My opinion,which the haters point blank refuse to see,because it is an "Excuse" is we have not been Decimated by injuries,as you know ,decimation is a tenth of something,we have been crippled by a 55% injury list to our most senior players but heaven help anyone who uses that as a REASON!!! I mean,poor old Hawthorn lost Roughie due to illness and we had our own "Members" saying "What about that"???
I had thought of going through every teams list and taking out the full complement of injured Pies players on a like for like basis and see how the other teams would stack up and how the Collingwood haters would view that,but I haven't the patience.Maybe someone else would like to.You know,Swannie,Geelong,Danger,Hawthorn,Mitchel,Adelaide ,Sloane, Etc and so on until all our outs were covered and see how the other teams would stack up.
I stand by my comment.

as a paid up legends member, I hardly count as a Collingwood hater.

two years ago there was supposed to be an investigation into our run of injuries. since not all teams have had our run of "bad luck" what do you think the problem is and why isn't our "luck" getting better? 55% injured. what the hell is wrong with our training/playing methods

by the way, ive always believed you make your own luck

and youll also note I don't need to resort to petty name calling, cheers

mudlark 

PostPosted: Mon Sep 12, 2016 10:44 am

think positive wrote:
mudlark wrote:
think positive wrote:
mudlark wrote:
35forever wrote:

I stand by my comment.

as a paid up legends member, I hardly count as a Collingwood hater.

two years ago there was supposed to be an investigation into our run of injuries. since not all teams have had our run of "bad luck" what do you think the problem is and why isn't our "luck" getting better? 55% injured. what the hell is wrong with our training/playing methods

by the way, ive always believed you make your own luck

and youll also note I don't need to resort to petty name calling, cheer

Your first response seems to be somewhat of an oxymoron as most "Paid up members" whether that be legends or 3 game members seem to think it it is their "Right" to call Buckley,Eddie ,a good slice of the playing list,the trainers etc,a range of derogatory names s you yourself have been called a "Brain dead moron/pleb ,someone else words,not mine,yet you feel happy to stand up for this?/Well,you know what I called it. Strange attitude I must admit.
I'm assuming you think collision injuries and knee injuries are the domain of the Collingwood fitness management.Lets's see.Swan shatters his foot,Scharenberg and Ramsey do their knees,Elliot has what appears to be a career ending back injury??/or complaint.Anyone with back issues would,I'm sure clarify that there is not much you can do about it. Faso nearly broke his neck and then broke his collar bone,Hardly a fitness issue.Witts broke his hand,Sinclair and Gault have concussion issues.This leaves Moore,who tore a hammy in round 22 and Adams with soft tissue.Hardly an epidemic you'd have to say.
Ask Troy Menzel and Geelong about knees.They might query yours to whether it was a "Fitness 'thing.
We've thrown all but 1 of our list into the senior team this year and beat 3 of the 4 finalists we played at the end of the year and lost to the pricks in the last round by a point and we all know we were better on the day but a few very bad decisions by some senior players cost us that one,so I believe we are,indeed,making not only our own luck,but developing a great list by a coach who wants the list to be his and not a bunch of know all supporters,who scream,'Play the kids,Play the kids" and when they do and they don't do the job ,they whinge that we have no experience???
And finally ,if you are happy to be called a brain dead moron and a pleb then i rest comfortably in the knowledge that perhaps it is indeed the case.I once again,stand by this comment.

Wink
Lazza 

PostPosted: Mon Sep 12, 2016 11:01 am

Cam wrote:

LOL!!!

You are challenging a flat earther to believe that the world is round...Smile Razz

The negatives do not deal with reality and positives, ever. It does not suit their personalities (lack of) or agendas here.

Try and gain a direction or an idea from what the negatives post. If you closely follow them, Collingwood is damned if they do and damned if they don't do. Recruit players and it is to save their hated Buck's and ignore players and it’s the club not acting in Collingwood's best interests!! No bloody idea if you ask me.
Gubby should do as he does and totally bloody ignore the confused and maniacally dumb wishes of such fools. Rolling Eyes

Darkstranger 

PostPosted: Mon Sep 12, 2016 11:53 am

Cam wrote:

Cam, dont waste your breath on this flog, only posts when something negative happens to Collingwood...

Lazza 

PostPosted: Mon Sep 12, 2016 12:58 pm

Darkstranger wrote:
Cam wrote:

Cam, dont waste your breath on this flog, only posts when something negative happens to Collingwood...

Not only CC, many other negatives here too.

CarringbushCigar Taurus

PostPosted: Mon Sep 12, 2016 2:09 pm

Cam wrote:

I actually supported extending Buckley for 1 year after 2016 NAB, primarily because there were reports we were going to extend for 2+.

Go and read my pre-trade rants on Treloar.
Totally bullish i was on he and Aish and thrilled the club got it done.
There's 2 or 3
I've always liked Josh Smith
I would be Maynard's biggest fan in Australia.
I love Derek Hine. I reckon Ben Hart is under-rated.
Are these negative thoughts?

I think letting go Russell and Young and Lynch were sound decisions :-p

I was really happy the club got a website.
Apparently we were one of the first clubs to adopt techniques for beer can cooling - known now as refrigeration.

Now here is a challenge for you Cam, feel free top use the brain power of Lazza and Dark Stranger to assist.
In all my negative thoughts that Ive apparently spewed forth onto this board for the last 5 years, name a few that have been wrong.
35forever 

"I feel sick - dada dada dada da"

PostPosted: Mon Sep 12, 2016 3:44 pm

We did some nutty trading in the first 2 years of the Buckley nightmare, but I don’t think it’s fair to lump Armstrong in with them. He was committed & could’ve done anything given a decent chance. He wasn’t. Another victim of the sub vest. Another early trade we often forget was Ben Hudson, who was excellent for us, pinch hitting when we had injuries, and more importantly, bringing out the beast in the best young ruck in our sport. I can see Brodes getting a big gap between his first initial & surname one day. (but maybe it’s a decoy for B. Maynard? I do wish Gillan would cut that shit out!)
It’s not completely ridiculous to look at Maric, he was the glamour ruckman for a while, and could offer good service as a backup ruck, as I can’t see Witter hanging around. He’s way too good to be in the twos and we should be using him to get the best player on offer.
My biggest question is what’s caused the turnaround in Buckley’s thinking? Last week there was no point getting one/two year max players unless your window was open, and he stated that ours was firmly nailed shut for at least a couple more years.
Of course while he’s coach that’s absolutely correct. Just watch this side do a 180 the second we dump Buckley. I know it like it’s already happened! And it should have! It’s gonna really pi$$ me off when the club goes straight to top 4 the first year without Buckley and there’s 50 threads on here saying “Why didn’t we do this years ago!?”
How many times does this sort of thing have to happen before we wake up?? Look at the teams which improved this year: StKilda...New coach. Melbourne...New Coach. Footscray...New Coach. Carlton...New Coach. GWS...New Coach. Adelaide...New coach. West Coast...New Coach. Essendon...well, they won’t be in the bottom 5 next year, bet the farm on it!

Most importantly though, the sides which have languished for years, and who finally got Coaches from the successful sides & with the newest methods, IE: Saints, Dogs, Dees, Blooze. All showed huge improvement, and all - for the first time in god knows how many years - beat us! In fact we played 7 games against those 4 sides, who knows how many we won? Yeah, exactly! And that one wasn’t terribly impressive. For the last decade we woulda marked all 7 games as walkovers, I certainly had 6 ticks in my fixture! Bet you did too! If we’d won those 6 “walkovers” we woulda been one of the sides fighting out 4th spot. But we didn’t, and we won’t next year either.
There were other sides like us, namely North, Richmond, Freo, Brisbane, Port. All stuck with long-time coaches, and only North made finals by a bee’s dick!
The worst thing a side can have is a coach who has been around for years, hasn’t made big changes in personnel & game plan, & hasn’t tasted the ultimate success.

Look at the sides who finished 1, 2, & 3. All have long-time coaches who HAVE tasted said ultimate success, and frankly, very few people are betting on any other side, maybe a few bucks for Adelaide, and a buck each way for GWS, but that’s it. Even so, of those sides, the ones who don’t win will be considering moving their coaches on.
What NO side has, is a coach who took over a side at the top & dragged them down for 5 years straight, with no apology, excuse or sign of improvement, in fact NOT EVEN A REVIEW!
No team could ever be that dense!!!

I think Bucks had it right first time, while he keeps his job our window is closed. Actually, it’s broken, nailed shut, sold to a demo yard for the Cedar and the hole bricked over & given 3 coats of render & a nice pale green lime-wash.

So no, there is no point getting old players. There’s nothing wrong with the list. Allowed to play our best, with our best 22, we are completely unbeatable. The only side I’ve seen this year whose best can touch ours is Footscray. Our list is better than Hawthorn or Geelong, they are simply better led.

PS: Great retort Carringbush, I agree with your positives 100%, except you are wrong in 1 area, I am Maynard's biggest fan. But like you, I'm really sick of being right.

-me, 2010
"The pies are going to the big dance!"-P.Daicos 2010
Visit My Website!
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index -> General Discussion All times are GMT + 11 Hours

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
Page 4 of 5   

Jump to: