Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index
 The RulesThe Rules FAQFAQ
   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   CalendarCalendar   SearchSearch 

Buckley's sudden shift in recruiting stance: Gubby Effect?

Users browsing this topic:0 Registered, 0 Hidden and 1 Guest
Registered Users: None

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index -> General Discussion

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
View previous topic :: View next topic  
mudlark 

PostPosted: Sun Sep 11, 2016 9:36 am
Post subject: Reply with quote

35forever wrote:
Yeah, we're in a REAL funny situation, bloody hilarious!
If I barracked for any of the other 17 sides I'd be pi$$ing myself!
The genesis of Buckley's stated disinterest in older players came when he was asked if he had any interest in Boomer Harvey. His very revealing answer was that he didn't, as Boomer was better suited to a side whose "window" was open... IE: a side who had a snowman's chance in hell of playing a part in September. IE: Not us. Oh no, according to the Great Man, OUR window will be open around 2019-2023. (Perhaps he does have plans to retire after all?)
Well at least the man is smart enough to know how likely a Collingwood Flag is while the cancer called Buckley is eating the heart of our club.
This year there was a chance of course, all King Eddie had to do was wave his magic wand and consider the other million people beside himself & his best mate, and appoint ANY other coach, and the nightmare would be over. The 5 years of horrific games - more of them every year, the record low attendances, the loss of our 60 odd years as the Vic. club with the highest membership. All these and several other symptoms of our illness could have been wiped away in an instant if Eddie had seen fit not to piss another year away, and do what must be done to make us great again. But he's not going to. He's going to toss 2017 onto the bonfire of Buckley's ego, and ensure mediocrity for years to come. Then next week, he's going to let the members have their say about 2017, after all the decisions have been made. But fear not, he'll listen to your thoughts on member seating, membership packages, Women's football, and other peripheral shite. I'm guessing 4 or 5 people will get to ask a question, as long s it's not about anything important. Then he'll tell you about the exciting new things planned for members in 2017, and you'll all be suitably impressed, and you'll clap like brain dead morons while the great men smile benevolently and get the hell out of there having done their bit to soothe the plebs for another year.
But rest assured, 2017 will NOT be Buckley's last year. The list we have is simply too good to keep down and we will win around 12-13 games, just enough to scrape into 7th or 8th, making Buckley a genius supercoach, and earning him a 3 year extension of the nightmare. In 2018 we'll scrape in again, but betweeen the 2 years we'll win one final, then in 2019 we'll be right here again, having missed the finals and we'll be debating all over again while half a dozen wise ones insist that we're very close, and that the players and bad luck was to blame. Before you know it a decade will have passed. Another long decade, thrown away by ego, greed, and stupidity. Just like the 80's & 90's.

This could all have been ended 3 years ago, don't tell me you don't wish it had been.

Sanctimonious wanker.The only "Brain dead morons" and Plebs I ca
n see here are you and the the folk who support you comments and there;s no friggin' surprises in that lot.
noddy, Aries

PostPosted: Sun Sep 11, 2016 10:53 am

i don't think there's any gubby-led conspiracy. we are in a situation where we'll have salary cap space without most of travis's big pay packet but we don't have low picks to trade for someone like o'meara. so the obvious place to look is free agency.
Magpie Jack 

PostPosted: Sun Sep 11, 2016 11:41 am

Ivan Maric? Why would you play Cloke, Goldsack and Toovey in the reserves for most of the year and then try and recruit hacks like Maric?
The place has gone mad.

think positive Libra

Side By Side

PostPosted: Sun Sep 11, 2016 12:02 pm

mudlark wrote:
35forever wrote:
Yeah, we're in a REAL funny situation, bloody hilarious!
If I barracked for any of the other 17 sides I'd be pi$$ing myself!
The genesis of Buckley's stated disinterest in older players came when he was asked if he had any interest in Boomer Harvey. His very revealing answer was that he didn't, as Boomer was better suited to a side whose "window" was open... IE: a side who had a snowman's chance in hell of playing a part in September. IE: Not us. Oh no, according to the Great Man, OUR window will be open around 2019-2023. (Perhaps he does have plans to retire after all?)
Well at least the man is smart enough to know how likely a Collingwood Flag is while the cancer called Buckley is eating the heart of our club.
This year there was a chance of course, all King Eddie had to do was wave his magic wand and consider the other million people beside himself & his best mate, and appoint ANY other coach, and the nightmare would be over. The 5 years of horrific games - more of them every year, the record low attendances, the loss of our 60 odd years as the Vic. club with the highest membership. All these and several other symptoms of our illness could have been wiped away in an instant if Eddie had seen fit not to piss another year away, and do what must be done to make us great again. But he's not going to. He's going to toss 2017 onto the bonfire of Buckley's ego, and ensure mediocrity for years to come. Then next week, he's going to let the members have their say about 2017, after all the decisions have been made. But fear not, he'll listen to your thoughts on member seating, membership packages, Women's football, and other peripheral shite. I'm guessing 4 or 5 people will get to ask a question, as long s it's not about anything important. Then he'll tell you about the exciting new things planned for members in 2017, and you'll all be suitably impressed, and you'll clap like brain dead morons while the great men smile benevolently and get the hell out of there having done their bit to soothe the plebs for another year.
But rest assured, 2017 will NOT be Buckley's last year. The list we have is simply too good to keep down and we will win around 12-13 games, just enough to scrape into 7th or 8th, making Buckley a genius supercoach, and earning him a 3 year extension of the nightmare. In 2018 we'll scrape in again, but betweeen the 2 years we'll win one final, then in 2019 we'll be right here again, having missed the finals and we'll be debating all over again while half a dozen wise ones insist that we're very close, and that the players and bad luck was to blame. Before you know it a decade will have passed. Another long decade, thrown away by ego, greed, and stupidity. Just like the 80's & 90's.

This could all have been ended 3 years ago, don't tell me you don't wish it had been.

Sanctimonious wanker.The only "Brain dead morons" and Plebs I ca
n see here are you and the the folk who support you comments and there;s no friggin' surprises in that lot.

Hang on, your the one dishing the abuse. He is entitled to his opinion, if you don't like his opinion ignore his posts, and yes I know everyone has arseholes and opinions! I may not get as emotionally carried away as he does but he does have some points I agree with. I don't agree with those who think our coach is leading us to the cup, I did, I no longer do, but I don't feel the need to slag them off either. Basically, I'm saying, grow up.

AN_Inkling 

PostPosted: Sun Sep 11, 2016 1:23 pm

Magpie Jack wrote:
Ivan Maric? Why would you play Cloke, Goldsack and Toovey in the reserves for most of the year and then try and recruit hacks like Maric?
The place has gone mad.

To play him in the reserves most of the year Confused If we're looking at Maric it's to take the spot as break glass ruck cover should we get 2-3 injuries. As a veteran on his last legs he's better suited to this role than Witts, who we'd look to trade so we can improve our first team - hopefully with a promising young KPP.

Cam Capricorn

Nick's BB Member #166

PostPosted: Sun Sep 11, 2016 2:13 pm

Is Maric better than Witts? I'd suggest he is twice the footballer but half the tap ruckman, thar be Witts achilles heel...
RudeBoy 

PostPosted: Sun Sep 11, 2016 2:28 pm

Cam wrote:
Is Maric better than Witts? I'd suggest he is twice the footballer but half the tap ruckman, thar be Witts achilles heel...

Given that Witts will expect to play senior football elsewhere, I'm assuming we're looking at recruiting an experienced ruckman happy to play mainly in the VFL, like Hudson did a few years back. On that basis - assuming we get a good trade deal for Witts - I think a player like Maric would be good insurance for Grundy.
CarringbushCigar Taurus

PostPosted: Sun Sep 11, 2016 2:36 pm

Magpie Jack wrote:
The place has gone mad.

Absolutely mad!

Maric is the last bloke u would choose to recruit from 2016 and Mayne isn't far behind him.

Maric can't jump, he can barley walk and he can't talk.
But apparently he can coach better than Jarryd Rivers.
inxs88 

PostPosted: Sun Sep 11, 2016 2:37 pm

noddy, wrote:
i don't think there's any gubby-led conspiracy. we are in a situation where we'll have salary cap space without most of travis's big pay packet but we don't have low picks to trade for someone like o'meara. so the obvious place to look is free agency.

100% correct. With a list that has no player north of 29 years of age it's hardly "cheating" topping up some elite talent that comes for free. Bucks has done nothing but put himself "second" in the pursuit of regenerating the playing list.

Would welcome Wells, Henderson from the Crows and Mayne (if only his deal is $400,000 or less with triggers). Add in the return of:

* Scharenberg
* Elliott
* Ramsay
* Broomhead

(hopefully all can overcome injuries)

Plus possible draft inclusions and some trades such as Hoskin Elliott means a freshness and upside rebound may be quicker than expected by the doomsayers!

jackcass Cancer

PostPosted: Sun Sep 11, 2016 2:41 pm

Cam wrote:

Does Maric offer more as a player than Howe? Surely if we're chasing a player like Maric there has to be a coaching role involved, if not, I'd rather throw Howe an opportunity. At least he can pinch hit as a KPF as well as ruck.
AN_Inkling 

PostPosted: Sun Sep 11, 2016 3:28 pm

jackcass wrote:
Cam wrote:

Does Maric offer more as a player than Howe? Surely if we're chasing a player like Maric there has to be a coaching role involved, if not, I'd rather throw Howe an opportunity. At least he can pinch hit as a KPF as well as ruck.

He does. He's been an AFL player. If we think L.Howe can make it, maybe we offer him a shot as a rookie, but there is a benefit to having experienced players in this type of role.

CarringbushCigar Taurus

PostPosted: Sun Sep 11, 2016 3:54 pm

AN_Inkling wrote:
jackcass wrote:
Cam wrote:

He does. He's been an AFL player. If we think L.Howe can make it, maybe we offer him a shot as a rookie, but there is a benefit to having experienced players in this type of role.

Inkling - is there a trade you haven't supported?
Seem to recall you thought Armstrong and Russell were also recruit worthy.
daicos35 Leo

Is é an Phríomhroinn linne

PostPosted: Sun Sep 11, 2016 4:03 pm

Maric didn't sound keen from the audio played on Sunday Footy, I prefer we kept Jarrod Witts. He is going to be a very good long term ruckman. Dal Santo seems ready to have a life after footy.

GWS did the tough yards with a young group and is on the cusp of getting some reward in consistent high performance. We've done most of the hard yards too. Wanting Mayne I can understand, maybe Wells. Not seeing the benefits of dragging old players away from retirement. It's a bit concerning to change course so far into a plan that has been painful at times, but looks like it has turned the corner in 2016 on the back of wins against several top eight teams in the run home.

So much detail seems to be in the public domain about all these choices. Meh!

AN_Inkling 

PostPosted: Sun Sep 11, 2016 4:25 pm

CarringbushCigar wrote:
AN_Inkling wrote:
jackcass wrote:
Cam wrote:

Inkling - is there a trade you haven't supported?
Seem to recall you thought Armstrong and Russell were also recruit worthy.

I don't see a problem with either of those. They cost nothing and actually played some games for the club. They're not, especially Armstrong, the kind of deals to be concerned about.

From memory, most of the deals I'm against didn't end up happening. I don't like the idea of recruiting Harvey and I'm not enthusiastic about Jong. When we do sign a player, I like to give them a chance before claiming them a failure. I think the only recent one I'd label as such would be Clint Young.

You can't see the point in signing Maric, or some other experienced ruck as a third option backup? If we're trading Witts we need to bring in someone. The ideal situation would be that they play zero games in 2017. In this role, a player with experience that can help mentor our young rucks definitely makes sense.

Albert Parker 

PostPosted: Sun Sep 11, 2016 4:25 pm

^I think NDS too is worth a shot. Good skills and most disposals at North this season including last night's final. Wouldn't hurt to have his experience and skills around the club.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index -> General Discussion All times are GMT + 11 Hours

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
Page 3 of 5   

Jump to: