Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index
 The RulesThe Rules FAQFAQ
   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   CalendarCalendar   SearchSearch 

Buckley's sudden shift in recruiting stance: Gubby Effect?

Users browsing this topic:0 Registered, 0 Hidden and 1 Guest
Registered Users: None

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index -> General Discussion

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
View previous topic :: View next topic  
BEAMER09 

PostPosted: Sat Sep 10, 2016 2:59 pm
Post subject: Reply with quote

What'sinaname wrote:
I personally think Gubby has been brought in to buy us a finals spot as everyone knows that Ed will have to make the tough call and sack Buckley if we fail to play finals in 2017.

This is about short term gain.

IF that is the thinking, we are a very poor club with self interests.

IMO the call should've already been made.

inxs88 

PostPosted: Sat Sep 10, 2016 4:24 pm

Pies4shaw wrote:
I'm not sure that there's much of a change. Collingwood has recruited ordinary, underperforming, out of contract or over the hill players since free agency began. Think Lynch, Russell, Young, White, Greenwood - and don't forget they seriously contemplated Kreuzer last year.

Sometimes it works, sometimes it doesn't. I think one needs to look at the entirety of the recruiting once it's done to form a view. Personally, I prefer to watch the team win a bit more often, so if they would like to bring in the odd all-time great to help with that so it isn't quite as excruciating waiting for the children to learn how to play, then I'm not that distressed by it.

One thing that does worry me about the bargain-basement recruiting strategy is that champion key position players aged 22 to 24 don't turn up in the bargain bin very often. I think we need to bite the bullet and trade properly for a couple. At the moment, we have only 1 (Moore) that you would expect, given other players' injury and form history, to be playing 20 games per season at a high level in 2 years - others may but you wouldn't want to be betting on it.

Clinton Young: 26 at the time of recruitment
Jordan Russell: 26 at the time " "
Levi Greenwood 25 at the time " "
Jesse White 25 at the time " "
Matty Kreuzer 26 at time of "possible" recruitment

My post was more geared around the 28++

Pies4shaw Leo

pies4shaw

PostPosted: Sat Sep 10, 2016 4:28 pm

Yes, fair enough.
Donny Aries

Formerly known as MAGFAN8.

PostPosted: Sat Sep 10, 2016 4:58 pm

Wells ?

When he's 'on', he looks like a World beater, but often, it's a matter of, "Is Daniel Wells playing today?"

It's a game. Enjoy it. Very Happy
The Boy Who Cried Wolf 

PostPosted: Sat Sep 10, 2016 4:59 pm

BEAMER09 wrote:
What'sinaname wrote:
I personally think Gubby has been brought in to buy us a finals spot as everyone knows that Ed will have to make the tough call and sack Buckley if we fail to play finals in 2017.

This is about short term gain.

IF that is the thinking, we are a very poor club with self interests.

IMO the call should've already been made.

The thing is, unless 'this' costs us almost nothing.. than its purely a selfish act, specifically designed to save Bucks job and which may in fact put us even further from a premiership.
Haff Capricorn

PostPosted: Sat Sep 10, 2016 6:40 pm

I still think we only get the dirt cheap, Ivan and whomever costs us SFA. We then bank the coin and next season give Fyfe an offer he can't refuse.
Cam Capricorn

Nick's BB Member #166

PostPosted: Sat Sep 10, 2016 6:53 pm

Fyfe is a country boy from W.A., there is no way in hell he would leave.
Geek 

geek

PostPosted: Sat Sep 10, 2016 7:21 pm

Cam wrote:
Fyfe is a country boy from W.A., there is no way in hell he would leave.

I dunno, Cam It does happen. Our Marsh and Williams are from rural WA and the rumour is that Fyfe wants to ply his trade out of Melbourne for a few years. Would love for us to be in the right spot to pick him up.

It's worth pointing out that Fyfe will only be RFA next year so we should look as well at organising another 1st round pick to offer as trade so that we don't wind up having to outbid a rabid bunch of Melbourne clubs in an auction battle
MatthewBoydFanClub 

PostPosted: Sat Sep 10, 2016 7:21 pm

Gubby = ruthless. Read anything else you want to read into it. Personally I'd rather have Balme around the club, but after 3 years of not making finals we have to make changes.
qldmagpie67 

PostPosted: Sat Sep 10, 2016 7:35 pm

This is a bit of a funny situation really.
We've been losing experience for a few years really and have invested heavily in the youth policy. I'm not against that as at least we have had a chance to add some real potential future stars to our list.
I'm not adverse to getting some expernced players in as long as there the right side of 30 (meaning no one over 28 before round 1 2017) this way we should be able to get 2-3yrs good service from them whilst the younger players keep learning. Also they need to fill roles we are weak on. We don't need any mids but could do with a small forward who can kick 30+ goals and a big bodied back or forward and maybe some real outside speed to work with Treloar. Really the most we would look at is 3 players max. Don't want them taking games away from our best kids.
If we lose Witts then we need to find a old ruck man who's happy to play VFL and be emergency for Grundy. As much as I like Cox I don't see him as a long term afl player just a tad bit slow and cumbersome really.
If we can't find those then stick with the youth policy and see how it plays out.
I would think losing Swan Toovey McCaffer and maybe Brown our list managers might think we could do with some experience
inxs88 

PostPosted: Sat Sep 10, 2016 8:22 pm

Having Gubby and Balme is perfect: Good cop Bad cop
35forever 

"I feel sick - dada dada dada da"

PostPosted: Sun Sep 11, 2016 2:02 am

Yeah, we're in a REAL funny situation, bloody hilarious!
If I barracked for any of the other 17 sides I'd be pi$$ing myself!
The genesis of Buckley's stated disinterest in older players came when he was asked if he had any interest in Boomer Harvey. His very revealing answer was that he didn't, as Boomer was better suited to a side whose "window" was open... IE: a side who had a snowman's chance in hell of playing a part in September. IE: Not us. Oh no, according to the Great Man, OUR window will be open around 2019-2023. (Perhaps he does have plans to retire after all?)
Well at least the man is smart enough to know how likely a Collingwood Flag is while the cancer called Buckley is eating the heart of our club.
This year there was a chance of course, all King Eddie had to do was wave his magic wand and consider the other million people beside himself & his best mate, and appoint ANY other coach, and the nightmare would be over. The 5 years of horrific games - more of them every year, the record low attendances, the loss of our 60 odd years as the Vic. club with the highest membership. All these and several other symptoms of our illness could have been wiped away in an instant if Eddie had seen fit not to piss another year away, and do what must be done to make us great again. But he's not going to. He's going to toss 2017 onto the bonfire of Buckley's ego, and ensure mediocrity for years to come. Then next week, he's going to let the members have their say about 2017, after all the decisions have been made. But fear not, he'll listen to your thoughts on member seating, membership packages, Women's football, and other peripheral shite. I'm guessing 4 or 5 people will get to ask a question, as long s it's not about anything important. Then he'll tell you about the exciting new things planned for members in 2017, and you'll all be suitably impressed, and you'll clap like brain dead morons while the great men smile benevolently and get the hell out of there having done their bit to soothe the plebs for another year.
But rest assured, 2017 will NOT be Buckley's last year. The list we have is simply too good to keep down and we will win around 12-13 games, just enough to scrape into 7th or 8th, making Buckley a genius supercoach, and earning him a 3 year extension of the nightmare. In 2018 we'll scrape in again, but betweeen the 2 years we'll win one final, then in 2019 we'll be right here again, having missed the finals and we'll be debating all over again while half a dozen wise ones insist that we're very close, and that the players and bad luck was to blame. Before you know it a decade will have passed. Another long decade, thrown away by ego, greed, and stupidity. Just like the 80's & 90's.

This could all have been ended 3 years ago, don't tell me you don't wish it had been.

-me, 2010
"The pies are going to the big dance!"-P.Daicos 2010
Visit My Website!
Raw Hammer 

PostPosted: Sun Sep 11, 2016 3:03 am

Here's your 2018 premiership team Wink

Scharenberg | Brown | Ramsay/Maynard
Wells | Reid | Dal Santo
Sidebottom | Pendlebury | Aish
Hoskin-Elliott | White/Cox | Mayne
Elliott | Moore | Fasolo
-----
Grundy | Treloar | Adams
-----
DeGoey | Greenwood | Crisp | Blair | Goldsack | Jong | Josh Green

Just about every player can kick! (exc. Brown)

thompsoc 

PostPosted: Sun Sep 11, 2016 9:15 am

Raw Hammer wrote:
Here's your 2018 premiership team Wink

Scharenberg | Brown | Ramsay/Maynard
Wells | Reid | Dal Santo
Sidebottom | Pendlebury | Aish
Hoskin-Elliott | White/Cox | Mayne
Elliott | Moore | Fasolo
-----
Grundy | Treloar | Adams
-----
DeGoey | Greenwood | Crisp | Blair | Goldsack | Jong | Josh Green

Just about every player can kick! (exc. Brown)

Never win a flag with this.
Maybe scrap into finals

thompsoc 

PostPosted: Sun Sep 11, 2016 9:16 am

35forever wrote:
Yeah, we're in a REAL funny situation, bloody hilarious!
If I barracked for any of the other 17 sides I'd be pi$$ing myself!
The genesis of Buckley's stated disinterest in older players came when he was asked if he had any interest in Boomer Harvey. His very revealing answer was that he didn't, as Boomer was better suited to a side whose "window" was open... IE: a side who had a snowman's chance in hell of playing a part in September. IE: Not us. Oh no, according to the Great Man, OUR window will be open around 2019-2023. (Perhaps he does have plans to retire after all?)
Well at least the man is smart enough to know how likely a Collingwood Flag is while the cancer called Buckley is eating the heart of our club.
This year there was a chance of course, all King Eddie had to do was wave his magic wand and consider the other million people beside himself & his best mate, and appoint ANY other coach, and the nightmare would be over. The 5 years of horrific games - more of them every year, the record low attendances, the loss of our 60 odd years as the Vic. club with the highest membership. All these and several other symptoms of our illness could have been wiped away in an instant if Eddie had seen fit not to piss another year away, and do what must be done to make us great again. But he's not going to. He's going to toss 2017 onto the bonfire of Buckley's ego, and ensure mediocrity for years to come. Then next week, he's going to let the members have their say about 2017, after all the decisions have been made. But fear not, he'll listen to your thoughts on member seating, membership packages, Women's football, and other peripheral shite. I'm guessing 4 or 5 people will get to ask a question, as long s it's not about anything important. Then he'll tell you about the exciting new things planned for members in 2017, and you'll all be suitably impressed, and you'll clap like brain dead morons while the great men smile benevolently and get the hell out of there having done their bit to soothe the plebs for another year.
But rest assured, 2017 will NOT be Buckley's last year. The list we have is simply too good to keep down and we will win around 12-13 games, just enough to scrape into 7th or 8th, making Buckley a genius supercoach, and earning him a 3 year extension of the nightmare. In 2018 we'll scrape in again, but betweeen the 2 years we'll win one final, then in 2019 we'll be right here again, having missed the finals and we'll be debating all over again while half a dozen wise ones insist that we're very close, and that the players and bad luck was to blame. Before you know it a decade will have passed. Another long decade, thrown away by ego, greed, and stupidity. Just like the 80's & 90's.

This could all have been ended 3 years ago, don't tell me you don't wish it had been.

Good summary.
Looking more and more like a lost decade.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index -> General Discussion All times are GMT + 11 Hours

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
Page 2 of 5   

Jump to: