Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index
 The RulesThe Rules FAQFAQ
   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   CalendarCalendar   SearchSearch 

Buckley "soft generation"

Users browsing this topic:0 Registered, 0 Hidden and 0 Guests
Registered Users: None

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index -> General Discussion

Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next
View previous topic :: View next topic  
rad 

PostPosted: Sun Oct 02, 2016 7:39 pm
Post subject: Buckley "soft generation"Reply with quote

In the HS today page 17 Bucks called the current generation "soft" who want to do "just enough" and "minimum" at a speaking event.

I do agree to some extent however afl teams pick these kids up at 17, take them from home and in my view are a large part responsible for shaping them.

This proves to me that he doesn't have the players following him. Why have we not heard any players leaving the Bulldogs since Luke has been there? Why are the Bulldogs, who are the same generation, the hardest working team for each other and their coach I have ever witnessed?

This speaking engagement shows the difference of a coach who wants to blame others versus one that has empathy and knows how to get buy in.

If the Holden centre facilities has made the players feel entitled and doing the minimum, perhaps it's time for a new coach and some recruits who come from battler homes rather than silver spoon toffs.

I was one to back Bucks however this article is the nail and in his own words and views.

PS. We had Luke at CFC and he barracks for us. Now he is taking Cloke and the assistant coach we just parted with. It will be interesting to follow their careers next season.
Mugwump 

PostPosted: Sun Oct 02, 2016 7:50 pm
Post subject: Reply with quote

I haven't seen the article but would be interested in the context. One of the things that Buckley used to be criticized for as a player was his tendency to berate and punish rather than appreciate, lift and encourage. As reported, this does fit into that mould, and it might provide a little sustenance to those who claim he is not a good manager of people. But the context in which it was said Is important.
Dave The Man Scorpio

PostPosted: Sun Oct 02, 2016 7:56 pm

That shows why Bucks not been a Good Coach. He does not get what it takes to get the Best out of the Players
Piesnchess 

piesnchess

PostPosted: Sun Oct 02, 2016 8:08 pm

I don't get the connection, if he was just making a general comment about todays young gen, or some of them, perhaps he means more youngsters need the camaradie and comrade ship of a footy team, or any team game. Beveridge walked into a pretty good set up left to him by the previous coach, Mc cartney, who did a lot of the hard yards, even peter Gordon admitted that, Mc cartney laid the groundwork. The welfare dogs have been a disunited rabble for bloody decades, and they have two great seasons, give me a break jeesus, this is just anything to pot shot Bucks yet again.

Chess and Vodka are born brothers. - Russian proverb.
Bucks2014 

PostPosted: Sun Oct 02, 2016 8:09 pm

Before this turns into another thread of Buckley bashing, can you please post the article as I am unable to find it. I would be very interested in the context as he is one that generally says the right things.
Pies4shaw Leo

pies4shaw

PostPosted: Sun Oct 02, 2016 8:15 pm

Who cares what he says in the media - if that won flags, he'd have 5.
RudeBoy 

PostPosted: Sun Oct 02, 2016 8:17 pm
Post subject: Re: Buckley "soft generation"Reply with quote

rad wrote:
In the HS today page 17 Bucks called the current generation "soft" who want to do "just enough" and "minimum" at a speaking event.

I do agree to some extent however afl teams pick these kids up at 17, take them from home and in my view are a large part responsible for shaping them.

This proves to me that he doesn't have the players following him. Why have we not heard any players leaving the Bulldogs since Luke has been there? Why are the Bulldogs, who are the same generation, the hardest working team for each other and their coach I have ever witnessed?

This speaking engagement shows the difference of a coach who wants to blame others versus one that has empathy and knows how to get buy in.

If the Holden centre facilities has made the players feel entitled and doing the minimum, perhaps it's time for a new coach and some recruits who come from battler homes rather than silver spoon toffs.

I was one to back Bucks however this article is the nail and in his own words and views.

PS. We had Luke at CFC and he barracks for us. Now he is taking Cloke and the assistant coach we just parted with. It will be interesting to follow their careers next season.

FFS, that's a massive call to make from a one-liner, with no context for the quote provided at all. Rolling Eyes
The Boy Who Cried Wolf 

PostPosted: Sun Oct 02, 2016 8:18 pm

I honestly can't listen to him anymore, its always either excuses or blaming others.
rad 

PostPosted: Sun Oct 02, 2016 8:35 pm

What does the context matter in this case. He is bagging an entire generation and then asking them to buy memberships or play for him. Either way the insight into his thinking is evident.

Bucks might be a great tactical coach and media performer however he doesn't gave nan management as the best do.

Clarkson, Bevo, Klopp, Mourinho, Malthouse, Fergison etc. Their teams would die for them on the park.

Do you get this feeling from Bucks? I want a coach the players would go to war for not with.
Piesnchess 

piesnchess

PostPosted: Sun Oct 02, 2016 8:44 pm

rad wrote:
What does the context matter in this case. He is bagging an entire generation and then asking them to buy memberships or play for him. Either way the insight into his thinking is evident.

Bucks might be a great tactical coach and media performer however he doesn't gave nan management as the best do.

Clarkson, Bevo, Klopp, Mourinho, Malthouse, Fergison etc. Their teams would die for them on the park.

Do you get this feeling from Bucks? I want a coach the players would go to war for not with.

You are making far too much of this, heck its a one liner, If he means theres far too many kids these days obese, not active, playing computer games, ipods, etc, and not in active sports, he has a damn good point. To somehow link it to young players at the Pies is way a bridge too far, may as well wonder if the scott bros, Longmire, hardwick, Cameron, Richardson, etc, also have the players who want to go to war for them, this is a very long bow here. Confused

Chess and Vodka are born brothers. - Russian proverb.
Cam Capricorn

Nick's BB Member #166

PostPosted: Sun Oct 02, 2016 9:14 pm

There is no smoke without fire. The only hunky dory at the Holden Centre happening is a Bowie album on Eddie's ipod. Bucks has a valid point, but to paraphrase Dylan

"Come sporting coaches, throughout the land
And don't criticize what you can't understand
Your best protegés are beyond your command
Your old road is rapidly agin'.
Please get out of the new one if you can't lend your hand
For the times they are a-changin'.

The Soviets didn't see it coming and whooshka, babooska, no more USSR.

McCartney, Voss, Leppitsch, Sanderson [gulp] all similar styles done in in the last space of time by their lists. Now I'm not saying that's going to happen here but when the revolution comes, people can get swept up in it. The dogs situation might be the spark that ends an era -> in the league.

Either the great man will put the fire out, or it will consume him ala the Maid of Orléans. Unfortunately, this is our club we are talking about.

droversdog65 

PostPosted: Sun Oct 02, 2016 9:47 pm

Another day, another thread same old shit.
BEAMER09 

PostPosted: Sun Oct 02, 2016 9:50 pm

The Boy Who Cried Wolf wrote:
I honestly can't listen to him anymore, its always either excuses or blaming others.

Bingo!!!

Soft Generation he says - what bull crap.

I say refer Doggies and that is a generation on the move.

BEAMER09 

PostPosted: Sun Oct 02, 2016 9:52 pm

Dave The Man wrote:
That shows why Bucks not been a Good Coach. He does not get what it takes to get the Best out of the Players

another Bingo!!!

droversdog65 

PostPosted: Sun Oct 02, 2016 9:57 pm

Yes we must pander to the poor little darlings and make them believe it's Collingwood's privelege that they deign to play for us.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index -> General Discussion All times are GMT + 11 Hours

Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next
Page 1 of 6   

Jump to: