Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index
 The RulesThe Rules FAQFAQ
   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   CalendarCalendar   SearchSearch 

Father/Son question

Users browsing this topic:0 Registered, 0 Hidden and 0 Guests
Registered Users: None

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index -> General Discussion

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Raw Hammer 

PostPosted: Thu Sep 08, 2016 9:47 pm
Post subject: Father/Son questionReply with quote

If Daicos or Brown isn't quite ready for senior AFL football, and if drafted would likely spend the entire year in the VFL, is there any way we'd look to say, "Hey, don't nominate for the draft, instead sign up to play with our VFL team, the next draft we'll take you as a father-son?" Is there any sense or merit in this? Do they relinquish father-son rights once they play senior football? Just a thought that I'm sure won't happen but wanted to know whether it was technically allowed.
stui magpie Gemini

Prepare for the worst, hope for the best.

PostPosted: Thu Sep 08, 2016 9:54 pm
Post subject: Reply with quote

Damn good question, bit left of centre but I like it.

Unfortunately, I can't answer it.

Dave The Man Scorpio

PostPosted: Thu Sep 08, 2016 9:56 pm

I think that be called Draft Tampering.

Other Teams Rate them so they be Calling Foul.

I have not heard a Rule that Prospect HAVE to Nominate for the Draft but be very weird

stui magpie Gemini

Prepare for the worst, hope for the best.

PostPosted: Thu Sep 08, 2016 10:00 pm

My first thought was draft tampering too. I'm not sure if it qualifies but the AFL hates giving us anything so they may find a way.

Another downside in hindsight is that with a year of exposed form against men in the VFL, they may cost us higher draft picks in 12 months time than now. We still have to go through the bidding process.

jackcass Cancer

PostPosted: Fri Sep 09, 2016 12:15 am

Do they remain F/S options in future years if they pass on the draft?

Irrespective I'd rather wrap them up this season.
Bob Sugar 

PostPosted: Fri Sep 09, 2016 12:24 am

Why would they agree to it though? They'll make 70k if drafted this year, if they opt for the VFL they'll get sweet FA.

On the day before the first, Daicos created God.

You like this.
Raw Hammer 

PostPosted: Fri Sep 09, 2016 12:54 am

We pay them a hefty VFL wage then...

Was just thinking out loud and wondering if you can still be considered a father son after playing senior football.

Culprit Cancer

PostPosted: Fri Sep 09, 2016 6:22 am

Raw Hammer wrote:
We pay them a hefty VFL wage then...

Was just thinking out loud and wondering if you can still be considered a father son after playing senior football.
VFL have a salary cap and the players are not on big bucks and that is why many head back to local clubs. Kyle Martin is just one example.

I like the idea though, in saying that we would have people that would be looking at any available loophole that can be exploited.
jackcass Cancer

PostPosted: Fri Sep 09, 2016 10:34 am

Where does the assumption come from that either Daicos and Brown might not be ready?
piedys Taurus

Heeeeeeere's Dyso!!!

PostPosted: Fri Sep 09, 2016 1:22 pm
Post subject: Re: Father Son QuestionReply with quote

Raw Hammer wrote:
If Daicos or Brown isn't quite ready for senior AFL football, and if drafted would likely spend the entire year in the VFL, is there any way we'd look to say, "Hey, don't nominate for the draft, instead sign up to play with our VFL team, the next draft we'll take you as a father-son?" Is there any sense or merit in this? Do they relinquish father-son rights once they play senior football? Just a thought that I'm sure won't happen but wanted to know whether it was technically allowed.

It's a damn good scenario to pose, and we MAY get away with it, as there is no precedent that comes to mind to say it can't be engineered.
But rest assured if we did roll the dice on this out of necessity to secure them both, then the AFL would amend the drafting laws as a result.
And we could expect a surprise audit of the VFL books too at the end of 2017.

So presuming Brown is demanding the most attention prior to the draft, then ask the Daicos' to delay Josh's nomination for a year?

RudeBoy 

PostPosted: Fri Sep 09, 2016 3:30 pm
Post subject: Re: Father Son QuestionReply with quote

Raw Hammer wrote:

That would make matters worse, because in 12 months time they would probably be rated as first round draft picks.
mattys123 

PostPosted: Fri Sep 09, 2016 4:08 pm

jackcass wrote:
Where does the assumption come from that either Daicos and Brown might not be ready?

Would probably have to do with no 17-18 year old being ready for senior football. Well almost no one.

Apart from the Cripps types who burst onto the scene and play at a consistent level in the seniors in their first year, most first year players aren't ready to go.

Daicos and Brown will be no different.

Neither is rated as a first round pick so they obviously have developing to do before they even push for a senior game.

We will take both of them in this draft, but I'd say Brown is the only one capable of even getting a handful of senior games next year. Daicos won't debut till 2018 from what I've seen.
Raw Hammer 

PostPosted: Fri Sep 09, 2016 4:20 pm

...we add $20K to his 3rd year to make up for the lost wage from 2017?

If he kills it in the VFL to warrant a 1dt round pick do be it. That's a good thing. It means he's a jet. We simply hand over Pick 18 Wink

jackcass Cancer

PostPosted: Fri Sep 09, 2016 4:22 pm

mattys123 wrote:
jackcass wrote:

Would probably have to do with no 17-18 year old being ready for senior football. Well almost no one.

Apart from the Cripps types who burst onto the scene and play at a consistent level in the seniors in their first year, most first year players aren't ready to go.

Daicos and Brown will be no different.

Neither is rated as a first round pick so they obviously have developing to do before they even push for a senior game.

We will take both of them in this draft, but I'd say Brown is the only one capable of even getting a handful of senior games next year. Daicos won't debut till 2018 from what I've seen.

Yeah, but that's just the norm. Defer the draft age if you want 1st year players more likely to be senior ready.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index -> General Discussion All times are GMT + 11 Hours

Page 1 of 1   

Jump to: