Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index
 The RulesThe Rules FAQFAQ
   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   CalendarCalendar   SearchSearch 

When was the last time you went to the Movie cinema?

Users browsing this topic:0 Registered, 0 Hidden and 0 Guests
Registered Users: None

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index -> Victoria Park Tavern

Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next
View previous topic :: View next topic  
stui magpie Gemini

Prepare for the worst, hope for the best.

PostPosted: Mon Sep 05, 2016 7:15 pm
Post subject: When was the last time you went to the Movie cinema?Reply with quote

Just thought I'd ask. I haven't been for ages.

The last time I went to the movies I took my daughter and one of the neighbours kids to see one of The Lord of the Rings movies. I don't remember which one but it had a massive battle scene toward the end with those ginormous elephants.

I've been given free tickets, I just give them away. I got 3 gold class tickets a few months back, I gave 2 to my son and I don't remember where I put the other one.

I find it interesting that people still go in this day and age. When Movies first made their niche, there was no television so going to the movies was the only option to see.......a movie.

Even through the TV era, small screen CRT TV's, shit home audio options (unless you had megabucks) and low quality playback options meant it was still a good option.

Nowdays with mega flat screen TV's, home projection units and good surround sound options easily affordable and high quality playback options with Blueray and downloads means you can watch movies in the comfort of your own home.

For mine, apart from something to do with the kids on school holidays (get them out of the house and make them sit still for an hour or two) I don't see the attraction and think it's an industry that must be staring at the end.

So when's the last time you went to the Movies?

If you go frequently, why?

David Libra

I dare you to try

PostPosted: Mon Sep 05, 2016 8:04 pm
Post subject: Reply with quote

I still go pretty regularly, though less so than before Ingmar was born. For me, it's a social activity (with Lola or a friend) and I also just love the whole thing – buying a choc top, sitting down with a group audience, the lack of distractions, the big screen, everything. I even go by myself sometimes and usually enjoy it too (though it's much better to talk about the film with a friend afterwards). I don't care so much about the picture quality, though; TV is fine for me and I'm happy to even watch old videotapes.

Last time for me was about three weeks ago, at the film festival. Next time will be the Melbourne Cinematheque in a couple of weeks (there's an old Czech film called Marketa Lazarova that I really want to see).

Morrigu Capricorn

PostPosted: Mon Sep 05, 2016 8:11 pm

The last time I went to the cinema it was to see the premiere of Rattle and Hum Shocked

Better things to do!

Last edited by Morrigu on Mon Sep 05, 2016 11:24 pm; edited 1 time in total
stui magpie Gemini

Prepare for the worst, hope for the best.

PostPosted: Mon Sep 05, 2016 8:19 pm

David wrote:
I still go pretty regularly, though less so than before Ingmar was born. For me, it's a social activity (with Lola or a friend) and I also just love the whole thing – buying a choc top, sitting down with a group audience, the lack of distractions, the big screen, everything. I even go by myself sometimes and usually enjoy it too (though it's much better to talk about the film with a friend afterwards). I don't care so much about the picture quality, though; TV is fine for me and I'm happy to even watch old videotapes.

Last time for me was about three weeks ago, at the film festival. Next time will be the Melbourne Cinematheque in a couple of weeks (there's an old Czech film called Marketa Lazarova that I really want to see).

I sort of get the social thing, as a concept. It just doesn't work for me.

The last time I went to the movies with a group of friends was to see Rocky 3.

think positive Libra

Side By Side

PostPosted: Mon Sep 05, 2016 10:31 pm

Went on New Year's Eve with hubby, to seethe rock in San Andreas, not good!

Junior and I saw all the hunger games movies together in gold class. I love gold class! Not keen on the cheap seats, someone always crackles or gets their phone out! Shits me!

Bought hubby gold class tickets for his birthday Wednesday. And his and hers snorkelling masks! Mine has the GoPro attachment. I'm sure he will love it!

David Libra

I dare you to try

PostPosted: Mon Sep 05, 2016 11:12 pm

It's been such a long time since I did the gold class thing. Are the seats, smaller theatres and catering etc. really worth the extra price? I could definitely see it as a nice thing to do on an anniversary, or something, but I could never see myself doing it on a regular basis. Cinema tickets are so expensive as it is!
luvdids Sagittarius

PostPosted: Mon Sep 05, 2016 11:28 pm

Last night.
I used to go to the movies once a year if I was lucky. Just changed gas & electricity to Simply Energy & get 2 gold class tickets every 3 months, was intending to give them away but have been each time & am actually enjoying it.

If I watch a movie at home I always get distracted, check phone, play a game etc, at the cinema you have to sit & watch it, I find I enjoy the film more at the cinema than at home. Plus being waited on doesn't hurt Wink

When the free ticket deal runs out I probably wouldn't bother again for ages though.
HAL 

Please don't shout at me - I can't help it.

PostPosted: Mon Sep 05, 2016 11:33 pm

That recently.
David Libra

I dare you to try

PostPosted: Mon Sep 05, 2016 11:35 pm

As an aside, does anyone still say "going to the pictures"? Just realised that wasn't a phrase I'd heard in a long time (I think my grandma used to say it).
luvdids Sagittarius

PostPosted: Mon Sep 05, 2016 11:39 pm

*puts hand up* Embarassed
Jezza Taurus

2023 PREMIERS!

PostPosted: Mon Sep 05, 2016 11:44 pm

Over a year ago!
Wokko Pisces

Come and take it.

PostPosted: Tue Sep 06, 2016 12:27 am

I went to see Suicide Squad with the kiddo quite recently. I prefer the experience to watching things at home, like LD I tend to get distracted by things.
David Libra

I dare you to try

PostPosted: Tue Sep 06, 2016 1:26 am

luvdids wrote:
*puts hand up* Embarassed

Nothing to be embarrassed about! I think it's great that people still say it. Old-fashioned expressions like that should never die. Mr. Green

partypie 

PostPosted: Tue Sep 06, 2016 1:37 am

I went to a couple of events for Cinefest Oz a couple of weekends ago. Reportedly the festival was well attended. I saw six short films, all with female main characters, and Spin Out, an Australian comedy co directed by Tim Ferguson.
think positive Libra

Side By Side

PostPosted: Tue Sep 06, 2016 8:10 am

I think I say going to the movies, or going to the pictures, or maybe going to see (insert movie title)
what does everyone else say then? Going to the cinema? That sounds weird

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index -> Victoria Park Tavern All times are GMT + 11 Hours

Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next
Page 1 of 3   

Jump to: