Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index
 The RulesThe Rules FAQFAQ
   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   CalendarCalendar   SearchSearch 

Why is there talk of Witts being traded?

Users browsing this topic:0 Registered, 0 Hidden and 0 Guests
Registered Users: None

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index -> General Discussion

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
View previous topic :: View next topic  
stui magpie Gemini

Prepare for the worst, hope for the best.

PostPosted: Mon Sep 05, 2016 8:13 pm
Post subject: Reply with quote

If he does go, and I hope he doesn't, I hope the same people calling for him to be traded are prepared to cop it when he's a dominant ruck for another team.

FFS we have people sooking about delisting Ceglar because he's been able to walk and chew gum at the same time in the Hawthorn team. If they had Witts playing for them, their midfield would be having a picnic and he'd be in contention for AA.

Big T 

PostPosted: Mon Sep 05, 2016 8:43 pm

Cos he's crap
matrix10 

PostPosted: Mon Sep 05, 2016 9:37 pm

stui magpie wrote:
Not me, I don't get it either.

He will be a dominant AFl ruckman, I want it to be for us not someone else.

This 100%
What'sinaname Libra

PostPosted: Mon Sep 05, 2016 9:57 pm

stui magpie wrote:
If he does go, and I hope he doesn't, I hope the same people calling for him to be traded are prepared to cop it when he's a dominant ruck for another team.

FFS we have people sooking about delisting Ceglar because he's been able to walk and chew gum at the same time in the Hawthorn team. If they had Witts playing for them, their midfield would be having a picnic and he'd be in contention for AA.

Interesting that both of these player underperform under the Collingwood system but outperform in the Hawthorn system.

Maybe this says more about our system then our players.
HAL 

Please don't shout at me - I can't help it.

PostPosted: Mon Sep 05, 2016 9:59 pm

Let's wait and see what they do.
Cam Capricorn

Nick's BB Member #166

PostPosted: Mon Sep 05, 2016 10:24 pm

What'sinaname wrote:
stui magpie wrote:

Interesting that both of these player underperform under the Collingwood system but outperform in the Hawthorn system.

Maybe this says more about our system then our players.

Cmon, Ceglar has hardly set the world on fire. He's been on the end of some premiership class high possession football. Many players could have looked good in there, as Vickery will show next year.

AN_Inkling 

PostPosted: Mon Sep 05, 2016 11:55 pm

stui magpie wrote:

I definitely think he can be an AFL player for another club. It's the reason why we'll look to trade him. He needs and deserves more opportunity but is going to struggle to get it behind Grundy. It's been my view for a long time that they aren't going to work well together, both being players that need to spend most of the game in the ruck. The club also seems to have come to this view and have already tried to trade Witts once.

Saying we should trade someone because they're crap is pretty pointless. That doesn't make us better. Trading a player who has value but just does not fit into our team is how you improve. Would Witts be handy as a back up in case Grundy goes down? Of course, but a player who will consistently be part of the first team even when we are injury free has even greater value, and that's what we'll look to replace Witts with.

Raw Hammer 

PostPosted: Tue Sep 06, 2016 1:18 am

Are people serious? Grundy is clearly our number one. Sorry, but you don't keep seniors who should starting in the reserves 'in case' of injury. You trade them for a regular senior player. Witts is currency. Grundy' back ups are White, Cox and Moore. Pretty simple. Our decent but second half of the year was on the back of a dominant Grundy. That ain't going to change. Witts needs an opportunity. No doubt he's good enough to play senior football, which is why a team bereft of strong ruck stocks will deal with us. And we will deal with them.
Geek 

geek

PostPosted: Tue Sep 06, 2016 11:56 am

220 hit outs in the last 4 weeks for an average of 55 per game. He's been up around the 20 possession mark as well and kicked goals in 2 of those matches.

It could just be a rare spell of form but you'd think he's going to have to try his luck at another club. He's way too good for VFL at the moment and I can't see us holding on to him, even if it was in our best interests. Much as having a dominant ruckman in reserve is a nice luxury, it is a bad idea when we are so vulnerable on the spine and slow on the outside
69 years a MAGPIE Libra

PostPosted: Wed Sep 07, 2016 3:05 pm

Witts, on current form, cannot oust Grundy, and, when we have played them both it has not worked. Witts has currency that could be extremely usefull to us. Particularly so if combined with the movements of all/some Williams, Cloke, Brown, Frost. I am sure the club has targets in mind to bolster the defense, in particular, and perhaps another mid/crumbing forward. Interesting times in October.
E 

PostPosted: Wed Sep 07, 2016 3:20 pm

Geek wrote:
220 hit outs in the last 4 weeks for an average of 55 per game. He's been up around the 20 possession mark as well and kicked goals in 2 of those matches.

It could just be a rare spell of form but you'd think he's going to have to try his luck at another club. He's way too good for VFL at the moment and I can't see us holding on to him, even if it was in our best interests. Much as having a dominant ruckman in reserve is a nice luxury, it is a bad idea when we are so vulnerable on the spine and slow on the outside

This sums it up pretty well. Witts should be worth a mid level first round draft pick. We might even be able to get our pick back. another Moore/De Goey, Aish type of talent at the club is much better than having a dominant ruckman in the twos.

HAL 

Please don't shout at me - I can't help it.

PostPosted: Wed Sep 07, 2016 3:22 pm

It could be true.
Boogie Knights 

PostPosted: Wed Sep 07, 2016 3:31 pm

Sadly, he may be looking for opportunity, and who could blame him really... Started the season ahead of Grundy and finished it well behind him... He is a depth player at Collingwood, but would be senior 1st ruck at many other clubs...

If he can be the main part in trades netting us Hoskin-Elliot and Tomlinson (or Steele) then so be it... Although the prospect of him feeding the GWS midfield for years to come isn't very appealing.
69 years a MAGPIE Libra

PostPosted: Wed Sep 07, 2016 3:33 pm

Boogie Knights wrote:
Sadly, he may be looking for opportunity, and who could blame him really... Started the season ahead of Grundy and finished it well behind him... He is a depth player at Collingwood, but would be senior 1st ruck at many other clubs...

If he can be the main part in trades netting us Hoskin-Elliot and Tomlinson (or Steele) then so be it... Although the prospect of him feeding the GWS midfield for years to come isn't very appealing.

True, but you have to back Grundy and our mids to be better.

MatthewBoydFanClub 

PostPosted: Wed Sep 07, 2016 3:59 pm

Cox is the key to me if he keeps improving the way he did this year. He showed this year that he can work with Grundy in the ruck and go forward when needed, or even predominately work as a forward. If Grundy got injured next year at some point, Cox can work all day in the ruck if needed (with White giving him spells in the ruck).

Witts is simply a luxury playing in the VFL waiting for Grundy to be injured before he gets a chance. Witts is better for his own playing future seeking greener pastures with another club. Brisbane, Essendon and Freemantle are all in need of a good ruck like Witts. Ideal for me would be trading Witts plus picks to Essendon for Laverde if he wants out. Otherwise use Witts for trade points to draft a KPP.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index -> General Discussion All times are GMT + 11 Hours

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Page 3 of 4   

Jump to: