Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index
 The RulesThe Rules FAQFAQ
   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   CalendarCalendar   SearchSearch 

Why is there talk of Witts being traded?

Users browsing this topic:0 Registered, 0 Hidden and 0 Guests
Registered Users: None

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index -> General Discussion

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
View previous topic :: View next topic  
What'sinaname Libra

PostPosted: Mon Sep 05, 2016 8:02 am
Post subject: Reply with quote

Because Witts could probably find a team to play 22 AFL games, not 2 AFL games as a backup.

You either play both, or you lose one.

E 

PostPosted: Mon Sep 05, 2016 9:49 am

What'sinaname wrote:
Because Witts could probably find a team to play 22 AFL games, not 2 AFL games as a backup.

You either play both, or you lose one.

And we cant play both. Witts should net us a first round draft pick or a really good player. Maybe we can turn that into another long term KPP. remember we got Reid and Brown with picks 8 and 10 and we got Moore with pick 8 (or so).

inxs88 

PostPosted: Mon Sep 05, 2016 10:23 am

Witts is Wes Fellowes reincarnated:

* Same number 15 Guernsey
* Ruckman
* left footer
* too good for Reserves footy
* built like an Adonis
* soft as butter

(Sure Wes won a B&F in 1986 when our voting system echoed the Brownlow and he had 6 best on ground games against weak teams).

Stevo75 

PostPosted: Mon Sep 05, 2016 11:25 am

The club should definitely hold on to him and they can both play in the same side. Grundy can pretty much play anywhere between half back and full forward and is a contested ball brute. Someone who makes his team mates walk taller when he's on. The biggest improvement in him this year for mine however is his ability to take a mark over his head. Something Witts has shown glimpses of and will also get better at as time goes on. It's common knowledge these players take time and it would be a dead set waste of time if we got rid of him now. Unless he lands us an oyt and out gun as part of a trade I say a big NO!
The Prototype Virgo

Paint my face with a good-for-nothin smile.

PostPosted: Mon Sep 05, 2016 11:32 am

MagpieBat wrote:
Cox would be our backup, if we didn't get one on the cheap.

Speaking of which, what's Cameron Wood up to these days...?

I believe he only just announced his retirement. Though that didnt stop Ben Hudson any.

https://www.facebook.com/davehardingphotography
https://www.facebook.com/Davage
mattys123 

PostPosted: Mon Sep 05, 2016 11:35 am

Witts game on the weekend once again showed why we should trade him if we can get anything of worth for him.

He is out of contract so he can just walk if he wants, but he is worth a fair but now at the trade table, so ask him where he wants to go and get a deal done.

He took 2 marks on the weekend, 2!!! Yes he had 47 hitouts but that explains Witts to a tee.

He can win the hitouts but his around the ground work is way below what is needed at senior AFL level.

Trade him now while we can get something for him.
kymbo5@yahoo.com.au 

PostPosted: Mon Sep 05, 2016 12:02 pm

I've been in the don't trade Witts camp for while but my lasting memory of him this year I must say is when he was in the middle of ground, got a handball from Pendles I think, then lumbered away at the speed of a glacier, under zero pressure and got caught holding the ball. A sure fire positive turnover for us turned into a nasty one against us, towards the end of a close game. My remote control nearly paid a heavy price for his lack of game awareness and leg speed.
Pebbles Rocks 

PostPosted: Mon Sep 05, 2016 2:33 pm

Cox is already a better player than Witts. He is courageous, is a better mark , has good game sense, is taller (just) and quicker.
We dont need three ruckmen

uncanny 

PostPosted: Mon Sep 05, 2016 2:41 pm

If they can get anything higher than pick 20 for him and land a good tall marking forward then go for it and trade him.
derkd 

PostPosted: Mon Sep 05, 2016 2:46 pm

Cam wrote:
To be brutal, he doesn't give us much other than hitouts [which he is quite talented at mind you]. I'm not sure he has much more upside to be honest, and I've been a Witts defender. On the flipside you could argue that Gawn and Jolly were similar at the same age too. Tricky one.

I agree with this, and would add that the only issue on him is that he is not a big goal kicker...that could change.

I like the guy, and as a mark of respect he deserves to be getting senior games now....and he won't at Collingwood (Moore, Cox, even White as fill in back up ruckmen). I think the Pies will look to add a more senior backup...someone from the VFL or a player with two or 3 years left to play second fiddle to Grundy.... a J.Giles at West Coast type.

The club would also recognise that market value post Nick Nat and Cegler's knee injuries would have seen Witts value increase ....the possibility of getting back into first round draft or getting a player the ilk of Will Hoskin-Elliott or Adam Tomlinson is far greater then him playing another season in the VFL.

And hey injuries happen, we have had plenty ...but if you were to hold on to every player as insurance of another going down ...well our list should be 70 odd strong lol. Laughing Laughing Laughing Laughing

Is it a risk? yes, but you don't gain without taking risks.

WhyPhilWhy? 

WhyPhilWhy?

PostPosted: Mon Sep 05, 2016 3:58 pm

If memory serves, didn't Lachie Keefe pinch hit in the ruck as well?
mudlark 

PostPosted: Mon Sep 05, 2016 4:36 pm

Darkstranger wrote:
Prime? I don't see it.

Me thinks you've been in the dark FAR too long.He is developing into a star.He may not ne quick,but neither is Sandilands.
jackcass Cancer

PostPosted: Mon Sep 05, 2016 5:31 pm

Why trade Witts? Good question. Think it's purely so posters will have a genuine "why'd the club let him go" or "why couldn't the club get the best out of him" type player as most of the others are proving to be just good average footballers at best, Witts could be just about anything as he comes into his prime and should be retained if at all possible, a pick in the 1st 20 required if not.
Piesnchess 

piesnchess

PostPosted: Mon Sep 05, 2016 5:51 pm

I would keep him, for insurance re Grundy injured, if he goes too some dead beat club and they turn him into a star, ala mal Michael, I will $£$%^%%$ spew, I will honeslty $£$%^%%$ spew bigtime.

Chess and Vodka are born brothers. - Russian proverb.
jatsad 

PostPosted: Mon Sep 05, 2016 7:51 pm

Gone.

Cannot mark and is soft.

Get what you can fo him.

Cox is more than as adequate backup ruckman.

And he doesn't want to spend the rest of his career as a backup.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index -> General Discussion All times are GMT + 11 Hours

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Page 2 of 4   

Jump to: