Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index
 The RulesThe Rules FAQFAQ
   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   CalendarCalendar   SearchSearch 

watt price tully's wonderful bike riding adventure:

Users browsing this topic:0 Registered, 0 Hidden and 0 Guests
Registered Users: None

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index -> Victoria Park Tavern

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6 ... 13, 14, 15  Next
View previous topic :: View next topic  
think positive Libra

Side By Side

PostPosted: Thu Sep 07, 2017 6:54 am
Post subject: Reply with quote

David wrote:
WPT asked me to post these. Looks like a lot of fun!

Awesome pics, looks fabulous.

And WPT my knees ache just reading the details of the ride! No way I would last a day! Well done to you, dig deep for the primary school, sausages need love too!

stui magpie Gemini

Prepare for the worst, hope for the best.

PostPosted: Thu Sep 07, 2017 6:50 pm

Just no getting excited when you see the finish line.

Cheating doesn't end well.

https://twitter.com/AwardsDarwin/status/905526476006727682

Razz

watt price tully Scorpio

PostPosted: Thu Sep 14, 2017 11:55 pm

Had a wonderful bike ride, the hilliest & one of the toughest Bicycle Quensland has put on in it's 16-17 years. Friggin amazing

Some of the views in Northern NSW were unbelievable & nearly put me to tears. I really had to stop myself from crying as the beauty was so incredibly moving of the panorama before me. Phenomenal.

I made it up every hill without stopping at times with a bit of speed mostly not. Most places were very cold at night & I had a shit sleeping bag. Got a cough on the second - third last nights. When you got up for a pee in the middle of the night you could hear coughs in tents all the time.

The last day (sunday) was a simple ride from Mirwullumbah to Currumbin: only 36 km's. However, there was a 5 km quite steep continous climb that occasionally changed to steep. I was feeling pretty ordinary, had to ignore some others who were walking their bikes & just look down while puntuating this with gobfulls of plegm over the narrow road shoulder - breathing was laboured, my bike has factory fitted gears (forgot to get lower gear ratio's or get extra cogs on the chain ring), the sweating was profuse & I just ground it out. It was really tough.

Got home at 7.30 pm on Sunday & I felt deliriously sick. Went to the Dr on Tuesday & got antibiotics with a repeat which I'm going to have to use. Still coughingand still expereiencing temperature dysregulation.

When I'm feeling better I'll upload some photo's.

I've already piad a deposit for next year's ride starting at Cairns & going through the Daintree forest as well as the Atherton Tablelands. Not having been to Carins, Daintree and the Atherton Tablelands before this is a great way to see Australia (you can keep the mancold)

Having said that I've lost my appettite & have lost 2-3 kg's since I've returned. Getting used to eating very little Very Happy

think positive Libra

Side By Side

PostPosted: Fri Sep 15, 2017 12:02 am

Can I catch the anti appetite bug please!

But you can keep the bike ride! My cheeks are burning thinking about it! You will Love the Daintree, it's simply beautiful

Get those pics up please!

stui magpie Gemini

PostPosted: Fri Sep 15, 2017 7:23 am

Masochistic sod. Wink

The ride from Cairns up to the Atherton tablelands will be spectacular, but OMFG, combine those hills with the heat and humidity................... Shocked

If you get a chance up there, go north from Cairns to the Daintree river, cross over on the ferry and drive/cycle up to Cape tribulation and back. Now THAT's a view.

watt price tully Scorpio

PostPosted: Fri Sep 15, 2017 8:36 am

stui magpie wrote:
Masochistic sod. Wink

The ride from Cairns up to the Atherton tablelands will be spectacular, but OMFG, combine those hills with the heat and humidity................... Shocked

If you get a chance up there, go north from Cairns to the Daintree river, cross over on the ferry and drive/cycle up to Cape tribulation and back. Now THAT's a view.

Looking forward to going on this ride & will be conflicted if the pies make the finals.

The impresive thing about the Bicycle Ride is the age group:

Average age of 51
Lots more women on this ride & as a guess, most riders were in the mid to late 50's to the late 70's.
There were young families with kids
Some teeens, some in the 20's, 30' & 40's
Fat & skinny, tall & short, two legged & one legged, a few E bikes, 2 x recumbent bikes, 2 or more folding bikes,

think positive Libra

Side By Side

PostPosted: Fri Sep 15, 2017 8:45 am

E bike? Is that an alternate reality thing?
watt price tully Scorpio

PostPosted: Fri Sep 15, 2017 9:26 am

think positive wrote:
E bike? Is that an alternate reality thing?

"....An electric bicycle, also known as an e-bike or booster bike, is a bicycle with an integrated electric motor which can be used for propulsion. There are a great variety of e-bikes available worldwide, from e-bikes that only have a small motor to assist the rider's pedal-power (i.e., pedelecs) to somewhat more powerful e-bikes which tend closer to moped-style functionality: all, however, retain the ability to be pedalled by the rider and are therefore not electric motorcycles. E-bikes use rechargeable batteries and the lighter varieties can travel up to 25 to 32 km/h (16 to 20 mph), depending on the laws of the country in which they are sold, while the more high-powered varieties can often do in excess of 45 km/h (28 mph)....."

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Electric_bicycle

think positive Libra

Side By Side

PostPosted: Fri Sep 15, 2017 12:18 pm

Oooohhhh I like the sound of that, for the hills!!
swoop42 Virgo

Whatcha gonna do when he comes for you?

PostPosted: Fri Sep 15, 2017 1:22 pm

I believe some of the more high powered E bikes aren't legal on Australia roads which takes some of the fun out of the idea in my opinion.

I could be wrong but I'm sure I read once upon a time that they could be modified to reach speeds of 80 km/h.

You want bloody strong tyres and bike frame at that speed though not to mention protective apparel.

I'm sure I've seen people getting around down my way with some sort of small engine they've fitted themselves to a bike but I guess those aren't legal on roads either as they reach good speeds.

Anyone know much about these backyard kind of modifications?

think positive Libra

Side By Side

PostPosted: Fri Sep 15, 2017 3:59 pm

Not on abike but years ago hubby fitted a motor to a cheap manual treadmill, only ha 1 speed and I doubt usain bolt would have lasted long on it
stui magpie Gemini

PostPosted: Fri Sep 15, 2017 7:21 pm

swoop42 wrote:
I believe some of the more high powered E bikes aren't legal on Australia roads which takes some of the fun out of the idea in my opinion.

I could be wrong but I'm sure I read once upon a time that they could be modified to reach speeds of 80 km/h.

You want bloody strong tyres and bike frame at that speed though not to mention protective apparel.

I'm sure I've seen people getting around down my way with some sort of small engine they've fitted themselves to a bike but I guess those aren't legal on roads either as they reach good speeds.

Yeah, I've had a ride on one. basically a 2 stroke whippersnipper motor fitted to a bike. Where the handbrakes should be, one was a clutch and the other the throttle. Get peddling along while holding in the clutch, slowly let out the clutch while the bike is moving, the motor kicks in. Daughter BF bought one from the market when he lost his licence. No gears, it was on a beach bicycle, so strong frame and big tyres.

You can buy conversion kits on ebay as well as complete ones ready to rock.

https://www.ebay.com.au/sch/i.html?_from=R40&_trksid=p2380057.m570.l1311.R1.TR12.TRC2.A0.H0.Xmotorised.TRS0&_nkw=motorised+bicycle&_sacat=0

HAL 

Please don't shout at me - I can't help it.

PostPosted: Fri Sep 15, 2017 7:25 pm

Where do you think?
swoop42 Virgo

Whatcha gonna do when he comes for you?

PostPosted: Fri Sep 15, 2017 10:11 pm

stui magpie wrote:
swoop42 wrote:

Yeah, I've had a ride on one. basically a 2 stroke whippersnipper motor fitted to a bike. Where the handbrakes should be, one was a clutch and the other the throttle. Get peddling along while holding in the clutch, slowly let out the clutch while the bike is moving, the motor kicks in. Daughter BF bought one from the market when he lost his licence. No gears, it was on a beach bicycle, so strong frame and big tyres.

You can buy conversion kits on ebay as well as complete ones ready to rock.

https://www.ebay.com.au/sch/i.html?_from=R40&_trksid=p2380057.m570.l1311.R1.TR12.TRC2.A0.H0.Xmotorised.TRS0&_nkw=motorised+bicycle&_sacat=0

Ok thanks.

Are they allowed on roads?

stui magpie Gemini

PostPosted: Fri Sep 15, 2017 10:20 pm

Only if the cops don't pick you up.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index -> Victoria Park Tavern All times are GMT + 11 Hours

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6 ... 13, 14, 15  Next
Page 5 of 15   

Jump to: