Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index
 The RulesThe Rules FAQFAQ
   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   CalendarCalendar   SearchSearch 

Apple

Users browsing this topic:0 Registered, 0 Hidden and 0 Guests
Registered Users: None

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index -> Victoria Park Tavern

Goto page Previous  1, 2
View previous topic :: View next topic  
What'sinaname Libra

PostPosted: Thu Sep 01, 2016 7:22 pm
Post subject: Reply with quote

Interested in how you think Google avoided $500 million in tax per year, that would imply net income of $1.67 billion.

Global net income is $US16 billion, or $A21 billion. Now Australia represents, say 2% of the global economy, so net income attributable to Australia might be 420 million. That also assumes the Australia contributes the same as the the US to Google's profit...I presume the IP (the value of the company) is developed offshore so why should Australia be compensated for something it did not contribute to?

So really, Australia net income should be much lower than $420 million. Let's assume it's half that, leaving $210 million net income, or tax of $63 million

HAL 

Please don't shout at me - I can't help it.

PostPosted: Thu Sep 01, 2016 7:23 pm

Why now? Australia is my home.
Mugwump 

PostPosted: Thu Sep 01, 2016 7:57 pm

^ Good reply, Tannin, as always.

Sorry if I made a straw man out of your post. I was responding to : "Pay them to sit of the beach if you like, you are still getting 100% of the public benefit they were providing working for the multi-national tax dodger (i.e., none) and at vastly lower cost. Or, if you want to be really cost-effective, pay them to be nurses, teachers, park rangers, street sweepers, policemen, road builders, social workers, whatever you like. And remember, you are still saving huge amounts of money doing this."

I was lost by your reasoning in that, because a corporation that pays zero corporate taxes can still create value to the host economy, so I don't think you save money by employing people to sit on the metaphorical beach rather than having people work for a corporate tax-dodger. The extent to which it does so depends, doubtless, on the business concerned.

Finally, yes, I agree that an hour spent on VPT is rarely wasted, but it is not always the best available use. Still, far better class of debate overall than you get on the football forum - even if the chances of changing anyone's mind (or clarifying one's own muddle) are similarly slim. Good luck with the work, brother.

Tannin Capricorn

Can't remember

PostPosted: Thu Sep 01, 2016 8:43 pm

What'sinaname wrote:
Interested in how you think Google avoided $500 million in tax per year, that would imply net income of $1.67 billion.

Nope. Google makes more than $2 billion in Australia from advertising alone. Yes, that's just the advertising rake-off, and does not include any of Google's many other activities.

What'sinaname wrote:
I presume the IP (the value of the company) is developed offshore so why should Australia be compensated for something it did not contribute to?

In fact, Australia contributes significantly to Google's IP, and Google helps itself to several millions of dollars worth of Australian tax write-offs each year as "research and development" allowance. Having fleeced the Australian taxpayer for this money, adding insult to injury, Google then pretends that the IP actually belongs to Google Singapore and is thus able to avoid paying tax on the profits it generates from this Australian taxpayer- funded R&D.

By using the Singapore scam, Google avoids $200 million a year in GST alone, never mind all the other tax it dodges.

(The GST scam is being brought to a close at long last as a result of public pressure and very reluctant government action. (They had to do something. But as little as possible, of course.) But don't worry, Google will think of something else next week.)

Compare Google's piddly 400 jobs with the vast armies of people who used to work in classified advertising 20 years ago. Sure, technologies change (nobody knows this better than I do in my job), but in looking at the changes in that industry we tend to overestimate the impact of computer technology and grossly underestimate the impact of unfair and unconscionable competition via tax dodging.

watt price tully Scorpio

PostPosted: Thu Sep 01, 2016 11:27 pm

David wrote:
This is why international co-ordination on tax avoidance is so important MNCs can just keep getting away with murder if the countries they operate in are too scared to tax them fairly. As citizens, we should be demanding that this stuff gets pursued; after all, we're the people who are getting ripped off in the long run.

Problem is as you know in a horse race back (even when more than two are racing) back self interest (apologies to Jack Lang). Singapore needs to be forced to the table.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index -> Victoria Park Tavern All times are GMT + 11 Hours

Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2   

Jump to: