Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index
 The RulesThe Rules FAQFAQ
   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   CalendarCalendar   SearchSearch 

There's Dees, there's Tigers, but we are COLLINGWOOD

Users browsing this topic:0 Registered, 0 Hidden and 0 Guests
Registered Users: None

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index -> General Discussion

Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next
View previous topic :: View next topic  
RudeBoy 

PostPosted: Mon Aug 29, 2016 1:02 am
Post subject: There's Dees, there's Tigers, but we are COLLINGWOODReply with quote

Other teams outside the top 8 like the Tigers and Dees got absolutely smashed by 20 odd goals to top 4 teams this weekend, yet we, with 11 of our best players unavailable, came within a point of beating the reigning triple Premiers. I urge everyone to believe in where we are going, because the next few years are going to be god damn exhilarating. I've never been so excited by a loss in my more than 5 decades of following the Pies. It's been a painful journey, and at times, this year was perhaps the worst of all, but finally, when all's said and done, today demonstrated beyond all doubt, that we are on the right track and the good times are about to roll.

Add Moore, Scharenberg, Elliott, Langdon, Adams, Fasolo, Sinclair, Broomhead, Reid, Ramsay, young Daicos and Brown, plus a few other trades or draftees to our list and we will have a team capable of beating anyone next season. Go Pies. Le bon ton (let the good times roll).
eddiesmith Taurus

Lets get ready to Rumble

PostPosted: Mon Aug 29, 2016 1:25 am
Post subject: Reply with quote

Is it really something to celebrate? Another close loss? Beating GWS, Geelong and West Coast but being utterly humiliated against most of the bottom 8?

How can you use injuries as an excuse when you can beat or push the top teams but get done by shit teams? It seems bad coaching or leadership at the club and yet what will change next year? Oh, we will sack a couple of assistant coaches, that should fix it...

Last edited by eddiesmith on Mon Aug 29, 2016 1:36 am; edited 1 time in total
Mossi Leo

PostPosted: Mon Aug 29, 2016 1:35 am

I'm with you Rudeboy, we are on the way up, pity we have to wait 6 months for the action. Sad to see the past go by, lead by Swanny but the young blokes show a lot of promise. Without the umps keeping the Hawks in the game early, if we we didn't loose Aish we looked like we could run em off their feet. Anyway all for next year!
Mugwump 

PostPosted: Mon Aug 29, 2016 1:40 am

Hell yeah. I'm still hurting that we didn't close down that backline in the last two minutes because it would have been such an epic win. That fight back was incredible.

But make no mistake,this team would worry any opposition coach in a final right now, and it has positive development runway all over the ground. That list of the missing includes some of the most exciting emerging names in the competition. Moore, Elliott, Adams Aish and Sinclair are all outstanding talent who were not on the park today, and there is development to come in Marsh, Maynard, Crocker, Phillips, Ramsey and more. Plus, we can expect a new first round draft pick in Matty Scharenberg to take up a slot next year, with both break points fixed.

I think the sky is the limit for us from here, and today made that plain. We need Treloar and Pendlebury and Sidebottom to stay fit, but if they can do that, we have cover for nearly anything fate can deal us. I can't wait til April 2017.

Last edited by Mugwump on Mon Aug 29, 2016 1:56 am; edited 1 time in total
Donny Aries

Formerly known as MAGFAN8.

PostPosted: Mon Aug 29, 2016 1:40 am

eddiesmith wrote:
Is it really something to celebrate? Another close loss? Beating GWS, Geelong and West Coast but being utterly humiliated against most of the bottom 8?

How can you use injuries as an excuse when you can beat or push the top teams but get done by shit teams? It seems bad coaching or leadership at the club and yet what will change next year? Oh, we will sack a couple of assistant coaches, that should fix it...

Well, it is, for RB, as it is for most of us. Respect, Ed.

It's a game. Enjoy it. Very Happy
Pies4shaw Leo

pies4shaw

PostPosted: Mon Aug 29, 2016 6:44 am

A loss is a loss. Just a dismal end to another dismal season.

2016 was over as a competitive prospect at the 20-minute mark of the first quarter of round 1 against the Swans, when it became tragically clear just how far behind the opposition our team actually is.

Let's hope that the 2017 edition of the team burns a little brighter for a little longer.
woftam Gemini

I used to be undecided, but now I'm not so sure.

PostPosted: Mon Aug 29, 2016 8:22 am

While I see your point RB, you are essentially forgetting about the loss to Carlton & the 2 losses to the Dees & the poor loss to Richmond just a couple of weeks ago. You have to look at the season as a whole, not just isolate the last game because it was one of our best. Great effort yesterday & I was proud of the boys. But season 2016 is a failure & we have no guarantee the injury curse will be any better next year.
Mugwump 

PostPosted: Mon Aug 29, 2016 9:28 am

Pies4shaw wrote:
A loss is a loss.

2016 was over as a competitive prospect at the 20-minute mark of the first quarter of round 1 against the Swans when it became tragically clear just how far behind the opposition our team actually is.

Interesting that you use present tense. It clearly "was" far behind in round 1. It's clearly closed the gap greatly across the season. If you think wins against Geelong and GWS and losses of 3 points to the Dogs and 1 to the Hawks indicates that we are far behind now, then i don't think the evidence supports you. Like any team we can put in a bad one on the day, but our threat level has generally been high since rd12.

Last edited by Mugwump on Mon Aug 29, 2016 9:40 am; edited 1 time in total
Presti35 Virgo

Dick Lee for Legend Status

PostPosted: Mon Aug 29, 2016 9:36 am

So as we finish off 2016, we finished 3 wins out of the 8.

Prepare yourselves for the bunch of shouldas about to come up:

By quarter time in round 1 we knew it was going to be a tough season. Collingwood were flat. We'd lost Swan. The media was on our back. And we went on to suffer an 80 point loss. Our worst performance for the year.

Looking back, you can accept a loss to Sydney, especially up there. But not by such a margin. Maybe things would have been different if Swan didnt get hurt, but I guess there was no way that we were getting within 10 goals that night.

We should not have lost to Melbourne twice. Have they really over taken us? Gee wizz!

We should not have lost to Carlton or Richmond. Thankfully, we at least end the year 1-1 against both.

We were very unlucky against the Dogs both times. And against the Hawks yesterday. (All these could have been wins).

We should have done better against North. Much, much better. Also against Port, especially at the G. Both 50-60 point losses. Both these games were huge nails in out 2016 coffin. And both were gut wrenching, disappointing, disgusting, unacceptable.

I still think we're not a top 8 quality team, but it could be argued that we're at least on par with North (Who are not that great). However, Saints and Demons might also be in this discussion. (Can we jump North, Saints and Dees in 2017?).

Simply, we were our own worst enemies in 2016. We should have been in finals discussions, but put ourselves out of it. Sure, the injuries didnt help, especially in the Dogs game, but we had other problems as well.

I do believe we can become one of those teams that rounds out the top 8, but we are some way off becoming a top 4 side. And even further from a premiership threat.

MatthewBoydFanClub 

PostPosted: Mon Aug 29, 2016 9:49 am

Our season went belly up when Swan went down in the first minutes of the Swans game. You never want to blame individuals for your woes, but our preseason was based on certain structures and planning into the season including Gault and Swan in the forward line and Witts as our main ruckman. To radically have to revamp your plans, when your numbers are disintegrating around you on the field due to poor form and injury, is a credit to the staff who managed to right the ship and salvage something out of the season. I think we learned more about the side this year than any other of the five years of Buckley's coaching, which should hold us in good stead for next year.
GoWoodsmen 

PostPosted: Mon Aug 29, 2016 10:01 am

eddiesmith wrote:

It's called patience and the fact that it has taken time for the less experience players to pick up what the coaching staff are trying to do. Now I'm as sick of our post game press conferences as anyone but if you take Bucks' on his word then despite how good we were yesterday it sounds like there's a heap of stuff that just hasn't quite worked on the big stage.

I'm not going to say I'm excited for next year until we get through pre-season without someone doing their knee or doing something stupid.

I couldn't celebrate yesterday's loss because it's the cheaters from Glenferrie. Sick and tired of umpires destroying our games against them. But we have to rise above that. Makes you wonder about match fixing though when there are blatant free kicks (not 50/50, 100/0 - and yes that's with both eyes open) that the umpire just let's go. Really makes you wonder sometimes.

AnthonyC Aquarius

PostPosted: Mon Aug 29, 2016 10:15 am

woftam wrote:
While I see your point RB, you are essentially forgetting about the loss to Carlton & the 2 losses to the Dees & the poor loss to Richmond just a couple of weeks ago. You have to look at the season as a whole, not just isolate the last game because it was one of our best. Great effort yesterday & I was proud of the boys. But season 2016 is a failure & we have no guarantee the injury curse will be any better next year.

And pray tell, how RB in his post "essentially" forgets?

"You have to look at the season as a whole" you write, yet RB clearly states that "..and at times, this year was perhaps the worst of all..".

Don't feel singled out, but your comments just read to me of a completely negative mind set. None of us are happy with the year as it turned out. 2011 still pains me and many others I know as a totally wasted season, but until that last day it was great. Anyone with some common sense has to see that signs are indeed positive for the future.

I think if you compare all the sides in the competition any rational assessment would see that the future looks bright for us in that comparison.

No I'm not happy, but I'm just fed up of reading and hearing those that just keep pushing the line that the future is bleak.

What'sinaname Libra

PostPosted: Mon Aug 29, 2016 11:26 am

Let's not get ahead of ourselves. Hawthorn had two ruckman with 2 games of experience between them.

We should have smashed them in the clearances all day long.

woftam Gemini

I used to be undecided, but now I'm not so sure.

PostPosted: Mon Aug 29, 2016 11:55 am

AnthonyC wrote:
woftam wrote:

And pray tell, how RB in his post "essentially" forgets?

"You have to look at the season as a whole" you write, yet RB clearly states that "..and at times, this year was perhaps the worst of all..".

Don't feel singled out, but your comments just read to me of a completely negative mind set. None of us are happy with the year as it turned out. 2011 still pains me and many others I know as a totally wasted season, but until that last day it was great. Anyone with some common sense has to see that signs are indeed positive for the future.

I think if you compare all the sides in the competition any rational assessment would see that the future looks bright for us in that comparison.

No I'm not happy, but I'm just fed up of reading and hearing those that just keep pushing the line that the future is bleak.

On a board where there are way too many "everything is rosy" vs "the sky is falling" people? Yeah I feel singled out.

Like I said our boys were terrific yesterday & they have had some really encouraging performances against Cats, GWS & even the doggies, but that has been mixed in with a few poor performances as I also mentioned.
You can look at yesterdays performance or the wins against GWS & Cats & say the future is rosy like RB. Sure there is a lot to like. But the other side of the coin is you cannot accept poor performances like we have dished up against lower sides. We haven't made any inroads as far as wins or ladder position goes in 5 years. We have headed in the other direction. It's time now to start climbing the ladder. We keep using the injuries excuse & it is a valid one. But it seems we have the same rotten injury run every year, so I don't think we can count on not having many next year.

The talent is there.

Grundy has been phenomenal in the 2nd half of the year. As far as a ruckman goes he is a baby, but he is going to be a ripper.

Treloar is worth every penny. Star!!!

Moore looks like he could be anything. Very exciting

Lots more to touch on. But we need to start moving forward.
St Kilda & Melbourne both have progressed in the last couple of years.
Time for us to be doing the same. Wins & ladder position need to be heading in the improvement direction in 2017.
jackcass Cancer

PostPosted: Mon Aug 29, 2016 11:58 am

^^ Maybe if we'd played the ruckman who beat them 62 - 23 hitouts (combined Fitzpatrick & Pittonet) a couple of weeks ago rather than the guy who has struggled in this area all season things might have been different.
Just unfortunate that Grundy chose yesterday to have a quieter day than what he's been producing of late. His around the ground work was very good but 3rd man up pretty much nullified his ruck advantage. That aside, Grundy off course did have more possessions and hitouts than both combined.

And off course Grundy himself is still a developing kid, no where near his peak. But you weren't interested in any real discussion about this, just scrounging for any negative you can find.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index -> General Discussion All times are GMT + 11 Hours

Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next
Page 1 of 3   

Jump to: