Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index
 The RulesThe Rules FAQFAQ
   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   CalendarCalendar   SearchSearch 

I met Rosie Batty today.

Users browsing this topic:0 Registered, 0 Hidden and 0 Guests
Registered Users: None

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index -> Victoria Park Tavern

View previous topic :: View next topic  
stui magpie Gemini

Prepare for the worst, hope for the best.

PostPosted: Thu Sep 01, 2016 8:00 pm
Post subject: I met Rosie Batty today.Reply with quote

Rosie Batty was at my workplace today. She was originally coming in to spend a couple of hours with a group working on strategy around family violence, but she ended up being there for the day, concluding with giving a speech to a large group of employees who would have been hanging off the rafters if they didn't have to limit numbers for logistical reasons.

First part of the day was a morning tea with the snr management of which, for the next 3 weeks, I'm one. (my boss has these lapses of judgement sometimes)

So I've wandered into the boardroom, there's only about 5 people there, 3 of them I don't recognise. One of the women I don't recognise walks up to me, puts out her hand (spots my name tag) and says "Hi Stuart, how are you?"

I shake her hand and give the standard response when greeted by someone I don't know, turn to the next person I don't know who is waiting to say hello and 3...2....1....clunk. OK, that was Rosie.

Grab a cuppa and sit down. Few more come in, so it's a small informal group, no speeches no spiels. People sat around the table, asked her questions and she described some of the stuff she's been doing recently, some of the experiences she's had and provided some observations on different places. All very informal and relaxed.

Sitting down for an informal chat is a good way to get a read on someone. I was impressed.

She's a very intelligent and articulate person. She was able to pick up threads of what others were saying, link them in a way that showed very good strategic thinking and deep knowledge of the subject matter. She wasn't talking to average joes but with senior managers, almost all with clinical backgrounds and qualifications coming out the wazoo and she didn't just hold her own.

I won't pretend I agreed with absolutely everything she said, but I got a far better understanding of how she thinks and why.

Very unaffected, intelligent, articulate and overall impressive person.

watt price tully Scorpio

PostPosted: Thu Sep 01, 2016 11:35 pm
Post subject: Reply with quote

Interesting stuff. The heartbreak she's gone though; Sounds like a remarkable woman.
HAL 

Please don't shout at me - I can't help it.

PostPosted: Thu Sep 01, 2016 11:39 pm

I thought so too.
luvdids Sagittarius

PostPosted: Fri Sep 02, 2016 10:15 am

I still can't fathom how she always seems so composed, right from day 1. Remarkably tough woman. I suppose having a such a strong message to spread gives her strength. I'm sure most would crumble in a heap - she reminds me a little of the Morecombs, they're also amazingly strong considering what they've been through.

What did she say that you didn't agree with?
Dave The Man Scorpio

PostPosted: Fri Sep 02, 2016 6:03 pm

My Dad said he seen her at the Local Shops Quiet a Few Times but never speaken to her.

I can still not understand why she let her Ex-Husband who a Beat Both of them Up. Close to her son

stui magpie Gemini

PostPosted: Fri Sep 02, 2016 6:34 pm

luvdids wrote:
I still can't fathom how she always seems so composed, right from day 1. Remarkably tough woman. I suppose having a such a strong message to spread gives her strength. I'm sure most would crumble in a heap - she reminds me a little of the Morecombs, they're also amazingly strong considering what they've been through.

What did she say that you didn't agree with?

I don't want to restart a debate, mainly how she viewed (or at least seemed to view) family violence as an all male problem.

I agree to an extent. The majority of assaults period are by males, even when the male is the victim of family violence it's more likely to be a male perpetrator than a female, but it's not exclusively a male issue.

I was talking to someone else who is working in the field who seemed to agree with my point that we shouldn't have a situation where an action is condoned against one gender and condemned against another. , If it's unacceptable behaviour it should be unacceptable, period.

But she is impressive. When she was being introduced to give the speech to the large gathering, they played the videos of the news footage at the time of her son being killed, including her being interviewed at the time. I cringed on her behalf, even though I assume (or hope like hell) she knew it was coming. How she held it together to go up and speak straight after that has me buggered. I have the emotional range of a teaspoon and I felt for her, it was so raw.

watt price tully wrote:
Interesting stuff. The heartbreak she's gone though; Sounds like a remarkable woman.

That she is. I'm not easily impressed.

stui magpie Gemini

PostPosted: Fri Sep 02, 2016 6:52 pm

Dave The Man wrote:
My Dad said he seen her at the Local Shops Quiet a Few Times but never speaken to her.

I can still not understand why she let her Ex-Husband who a Beat Both of them Up. Close to her son

There's a whole lot of complicated psychological reasons why they do that Dave, and I'm not qualified to try to explain them but I'll give you two examples from 2 different women who grew up in a household with a violent father.

Case 1 was the eldest child. She has little to nothing to do with her father now, went through the whole everyone off to the womens refuge several times and still can't understand why her mother went back so many times and why it took so long to bite the bullet and leave. I reckon if her husband ever hit her it would be the last time he'd ever touch her, period. She just would not cop it at all.

Case 2 the father wasn't as bad as case 1 but still belted her mother. Mum never left. She grew up with it and didn't leave home til she was 20. Somehow, it became normal for her and in her early relationships she found herself going for guys like her dad. Even though she knew rationally that it was neither normal or OK, It took her a few years of reflection and some therapy to fix that "flaw" in her own makeup.

HAL 

Please don't shout at me - I can't help it.

PostPosted: Fri Sep 02, 2016 6:54 pm

Because of the experiential qualities of your learnings and understandings.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index -> Victoria Park Tavern All times are GMT + 11 Hours

Page 1 of 1   

Jump to: