Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index
 The RulesThe Rules FAQFAQ
   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   CalendarCalendar   SearchSearch 

2017 musings...

Users browsing this topic:0 Registered, 0 Hidden and 0 Guests
Registered Users: None

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index -> General Discussion

View previous topic :: View next topic  
cityslick1 

PostPosted: Wed Sep 07, 2016 3:22 am
Post subject: 2017 musings...Reply with quote

Sharenberg Marchbank Maynard
Howe Reid Crisp
Sidebottom Pendlebury De Goey
Fasolo White Aish
Elliott Moore Cox

Grundy Treloar Adams

Greenwood Sinclair Broomhead Varcoe

E: Langdon, Smith, Williams, Wills, Phillips, Ramsay, Goldsack,

Would love to add another gun key forward to this list, so over to you Gubby...

Witts, Brown and Cloke trades to help deliver Marchbank, along with the hope of that elusive key forward. P Wright maybe...
MatthewBoydFanClub 

PostPosted: Wed Sep 07, 2016 9:17 am
Post subject: Reply with quote

So how much influence does Gubby have with the GWS football department that players there can be directed to us? Not much given the circumstances Gubby left the club I would have thought. Silvagni would have more influence getting GWS players to Carlton than we have at our club.
cityslick1 

PostPosted: Wed Sep 07, 2016 10:12 am

How much? This much...

Gubby knows each of the GWS players personally. He also knows their managers, which ones are happy or otherwise... What their preferences / requirements are for a move, what level of coin they are after, what GWS's strategy is re priority players to retain, or what they want in exchange for players wanting to leave... again tied in with their drafting strategy for the next 2 - 3 years.

There's a good reason why we poached Gubby now. GWS is a treasure trove just waiting to be looted. Otherwise they could dominate the finals for the next 6 - 7 years.

We still need to get the deals done, but we'll be going hard for at least a few of their kids over the next 2 years
MatthewBoydFanClub 

PostPosted: Wed Sep 07, 2016 10:50 am

Hope you're right.
CarringbushCigar Taurus

PostPosted: Wed Sep 07, 2016 2:03 pm

BucksIsFutureCoach wrote:
So how much influence does Gubby have with the GWS football department that players there can be directed to us? Not much given the circumstances Gubby left the club I would have thought. Silvagni would have more influence getting GWS players to Carlton than we have at our club.

You can't be serious.
derkd 

PostPosted: Wed Sep 07, 2016 2:05 pm
Post subject: Re: 2017 musings...Reply with quote

cityslick1 wrote:
Sharenberg Marchbank Maynard
Howe Reid Crisp
Sidebottom Pendlebury De Goey
Fasolo White Aish
Elliott Moore Cox

Grundy Treloar Adams

Greenwood Sinclair Broomhead Varcoe

E: Langdon, Smith, Williams, Wills, Phillips, Ramsay, Goldsack,

Would love to add another gun key forward to this list, so over to you Gubby...

Witts, Brown and Cloke trades to help deliver Marchbank, along with the hope of that elusive key forward. P Wright maybe...

Word on Marchbank is that it is Carlton or St.Kilda. To be honest i would prefer Will Hoskin-Elliott I think he fits our needs far better and is the right age bracket etc.

Neil Appleby Taurus

PostPosted: Wed Sep 07, 2016 2:25 pm

Dunno about that backline cityslick1. It's not exactly pacy is it? I'd have Ramsay back there in Crisp's spot.
Williams? Has he been offered a contract or is he off the the west?

Regarding Gubby, he may well have great knowledge of the playing group at GWS, but I suspect Dave Matthews may want to deal with any club but Collingwood just now. He was already off-side before the Whitfield stupidity emerged. Heaven only knows what he's saying now.

Damien Aquarius

Me Noah & Flynn @ the G

PostPosted: Wed Sep 07, 2016 7:12 pm

Where is Keefe? ...and maybe Thomas. I've heard little about either but hope that Keefe in particular can play a role in defence next year and as a pinch hitter in the ruck.
jatsad 

PostPosted: Wed Sep 07, 2016 8:16 pm

BucksIsFutureCoach wrote:

Are you kidding.

We have got Treloar and Adams from GWS.

Carlton, thanks to Silvagni, got 4 for one pick and there's a good reason for that:

Phillips - Spud
Lamb - Spud number 2
Sumner - Spud number 3
Plowman - Is the best of them but no superstar.

You tell me who has done better.

cityslick1 

PostPosted: Wed Sep 07, 2016 10:26 pm

In reality we usually play at least 7 down back, so add Sinclair to that backline, which, with Varcoe, Crisp, Maynard and Reid, is quick enough. Sharenberg wasn't exactly slow as a junior either, but what it does give us is quality and v good delivery.

Take the mistakes of Brown and Wiliams et al away and we should be a 3-4 goal a game better defensive team.

Also, I don't remember the Geelong backline of 5 years ago being that quick... they just read the play, stuck to their structures and had more quality down back than any other team. Limiting mistakes is more important than loading up your attacking options in any high level sport.

And FWIW, I liked Keefe and Thomas at their best, so would love for them to push into the best 22 again.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index -> General Discussion All times are GMT + 11 Hours

Page 1 of 1   

Jump to: