Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index
 The RulesThe Rules FAQFAQ
   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   CalendarCalendar   SearchSearch 

There's Dees, there's Tigers, but we are COLLINGWOOD

Users browsing this topic:0 Registered, 0 Hidden and 1 Guest
Registered Users: None

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index -> General Discussion

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Mugwump 

PostPosted: Mon Aug 29, 2016 9:45 pm
Post subject: Reply with quote

^ for once, I agree with KM. i'd have said that the proven best 22 players out yesterday were Moore, Adams, Reid, Elliott, and Fasolo. That is a hell of a list, amd much more potent collectively than their outs. I guess you can count Swan, but he seems a different case insofar as he will not make the team different and better in the future. Broomy, Langdon, Ramsay are all fringe players at this stage. And Schazza is more of a bald player than a fringe player.
AN_Inkling 

PostPosted: Mon Aug 29, 2016 9:46 pm

Krakouer Magic wrote:
What'sinaname wrote:
Let's not get ahead of ourselves. Hawthorn had two ruckman with 2 games of experience between them.

We should have smashed them in the clearances all day long.

Throw into that Hawks players weren't exactly going flat out. It reminded me of the time the Hawks beat us in round 22, 2010. Bruise free footy, high scoring and we lost mainly cause we had bigger things to worry about the following week.

Hawks had nothing but a bye to worry about the next week. This week though was their most important game of the season, lose it and they're virtually gone as a flag chance. To suggest they may have lacked the necessary motivation is ridiculous. All of the importance for this game was on their side, not ours.

Pies4shaw Leo

pies4shaw

PostPosted: Mon Aug 29, 2016 10:05 pm

Good pick up, there, JC. We absolutely must keep Witts and try to get them working as a team. A couple of speedy, crumbing forwards would be required - both of our guys are better than Ceglar and McEvoy and just as mobile. The problem isn't them playing up forward, it's the lack of persuasive contest at the fall of the ball.
Tannin Capricorn

Can't remember

PostPosted: Mon Aug 29, 2016 10:12 pm

What a bunch of whinging <snip> some of you are.

Why did we beat Geelong and GWS and WCE but lose to poor teams like Richmond and Carlton? Because we are a young side and young sides are always erratic, up one day, down the next. Fact of life. Basic fundamental of football.

Does this mean that, as our team matures, we will start winning consistently? No, of course not. We will be more consistent - you can back that in - but no-one knows yet whether out consistent level will be top 4 level, top 8 level, or less than that. Inconsistent young teams settle down after a couple of seasons, but the level at which they settle down is never known until it happens. You have to wait and see.

My guess is that Rudeboy is absolutely correct: we are going to be a powerhouse, but nobody knows that for sure yet.

We have great midfield strength - possibly the best young midfield in the comp with the likes of Adams, Treloar, Aish, Crisp, and DeG backing up still-youthful champions in Pendlebury, Varcoe, and Sidebottom. (Not too much wrong with Greenwood either.)

We have excellent small/medium defenders in Ramsay, 'Berg, Maynard, and one or two others.

We have outstanding small forwards in Elliott and Fasolo, and a tremdous ruck division.

Our weakness is the talls at either end. Brown is past his use-by, Reid is injured most of the time, Moore is Reid Mark II, and Cox is still an unknown quantity.

That leaves White as our best tall forward (unless Moore happens to be fit and/or Cox makes the position his own) and Frost as our best tall backman, with young Marsh starting to make his presence felt too.

Best case: Cox is as good as he seems, Moore learns how not to get injured every third week, White plays the way he did in the second half of this year, Reid plays more often than not, and Keefe picks up where he left off. Result: genuine premiership contenders.

Worst case: we struggle along with Brown down back (there are worse players than Nathan Brown holding down key defender posts at other clubs, so it's not the end of the world) and less-than-fantastic key forwards. Even that is not too bad though. At least we are rid of the Cloke disaster (Cloke is a great player and has a few years left in him at Hawthorn or Freo, but with him in the side at Collingwood our forward entries are crap; we absolutely must have a more mobile and creative type, even a Fasolo or an Elliott at FF if we can't find a big man that suits) and we have an excellent midfield coupled with outstanding half-backs (assuming Ramsay and Berg are fit). That still gives us a fair shot at it.

Stop whinging. Stop dreamin'. Just look at the facts and take a balanced view.

(Crikey! What am I saying? This is Nick's Collingwood BBS. We don't do "balanced view" here. Sorry. I forgot.)

Krakouer Magic 

PostPosted: Tue Aug 30, 2016 12:01 am

AnthonyC wrote:
Krakouer Magic wrote:
...Throw into that Hawks players weren't exactly going flat out....

Well I'm not immune from saying something silly, but you really did well there.

Clearly they had nothing to play for.

Yes it is worthy of a rolleyes. Rolling Eyes

Both teams average over 70 tackles a game this year. Neither side got over 60 yesterday. Both sides down 20 tackles from their season average. Then you throw into the fact HFC were holding teams to an average of 80 points a game and you don't think it's strange it turned into a free flowing, high scoring shoot out?

Hawks gave up 5 goals defensively more than their average for the year and we kicked 26 points more than our average score a game. But yes, HFC threw everything humanly possible at us to make sure they got the win... Accept when you look at the stats HFC didn't really hit there season long average...

In any case, didn't Melbourne and West Coast beat these guys? Why couldn't we do it? Just unlucky again I guess
Mugwump 

PostPosted: Tue Aug 30, 2016 12:13 am

^ KM's post
It was a great performance against a premiership side that had a top four spot at stake. As Leigh Matthews said in the last quarter, it was finals-like. But we did well, so the opposition could not have been trying. Are you for real ?? What a bizarro post. Rolling Eyes Confused

Mugwump 

PostPosted: Tue Aug 30, 2016 9:10 am

Tannin wrote:
What a bunch of whinging <snip> some of you are.

Why did we beat Geelong and GWS and WCE but lose to poor teams like Richmond and Carlton? Because we are a young side and young sides are always erratic, up one day, down the next. Fact of life. Basic fundamental of football.

Does this mean that, as our team matures, we will start winning consistently? No, of course not. We will be more consistent - you can back that in - but no-one knows yet whether out consistent level will be top 4 level, top 8 level, or less than that. Inconsistent young teams settle down after a couple of seasons, but the level at which they settle down is never known until it happens. You have to wait and see.

My guess is that Rudeboy is absolutely correct: we are going to be a powerhouse, but nobody knows that for sure yet.

We have great midfield strength - possibly the best young midfield in the comp with the likes of Adams, Treloar, Aish, Crisp, and DeG backing up still-youthful champions in Pendlebury, Varcoe, and Sidebottom. (Not too much wrong with Greenwood either.)

We have excellent small/medium defenders in Ramsay, 'Berg, Maynard, and one or two others.

We have outstanding small forwards in Elliott and Fasolo, and a tremdous ruck division.

Our weakness is the talls at either end. Brown is past his use-by, Reid is injured most of the time, Moore is Reid Mark II, and Cox is still an unknown quantity.

That leaves White as our best tall forward (unless Moore happens to be fit and/or Cox makes the position his own) and Frost as our best tall backman, with young Marsh starting to make his presence felt too.

Best case: Cox is as good as he seems, Moore learns how not to get injured every third week, White plays the way he did in the second half of this year, Reid plays more often than not, and Keefe picks up where he left off. Result: genuine premiership contenders.

Worst case: we struggle along with Brown down back (there are worse players than Nathan Brown holding down key defender posts at other clubs, so it's not the end of the world) and less-than-fantastic key forwards. Even that is not too bad though. At least we are rid of the Cloke disaster (Cloke is a great player and has a few years left in him at Hawthorn or Freo, but with him in the side at Collingwood our forward entries are crap; we absolutely must have a more mobile and creative type, even a Fasolo or an Elliott at FF if we can't find a big man that suits) and we have an excellent midfield coupled with outstanding half-backs (assuming Ramsay and Berg are fit). That still gives us a fair shot at it.

Stop whinging. Stop dreamin'. Just look at the facts and take a balanced view.

(Crikey! What am I saying? This is Nick's Collingwood BBS. We don't do "balanced view" here. Sorry. I forgot.)

Pretty much voice of reason. I might disagree with elements of this (I am not at all sure that Cloke is a problem if we use him well, rather than take him the lazy get out option for every forward entry), but I completely agree with the thrust of this post. Things are looking a lot brighter, but they are not actually bright until the lights go on in 2017 and we can see how tall these young men will grow up to be. On that will ride Buckley's future.

Stevo75 

PostPosted: Tue Aug 30, 2016 7:54 pm

Great post Rudeboy, always love your work. I'm extremely optimistic about next year and can't wait for it to get underway. Surely we are due for some luck on the injury front after having 3 years of injuries to KEY players. We've had no continuity which hurts and doesn't help build that cohesive team unit. If we can get our best team on the park for most of the year we will win more games than we lose. Big pre seasons from Elliott, Moore, Treloar, Adams and Fasolo will have all of them joining the elite with our captain and hopefully a fully fit Ben Reid. Exciting times.
Krakouer Magic 

PostPosted: Tue Aug 30, 2016 9:26 pm

Mugwump wrote:
^ KM's post
It was a great performance against a premiership side that had a top four spot at stake. As Leigh Matthews said in the last quarter, it was finals-like. But we did well, so the opposition could not have been trying. Are you for real ?? What a bizarro post. Rolling Eyes Confused

Hahaha Leigh Matthews said it was finals like. Leigh Matthews said leppa would be Lions coach to didn't he. Geez no commentators ever add gravy to the broadcast do they. "Finals like" except it wasn't it was round 23 and meant sweet F A.

And I never said we didn't do well, but why you guys are fawning all over a 1 point loss in round 23 like a premiership era is beckoning is beyond me.

It was end to end free flowing football. It was not finals like in the slightest. If it was 80 odd tackles would have been laid by each side.

Last edited by Krakouer Magic on Tue Aug 30, 2016 9:29 pm; edited 1 time in total
What'sinaname Libra

PostPosted: Tue Aug 30, 2016 9:28 pm

Krakouer Magic wrote:
Mugwump wrote:
^ KM's post

Hahaha Leigh Matthews said it was finals like. Leigh Matthews said leppa would be Lions coach to didn't he. Geez no commentators ever add gravy to the broadcast do they. "Finals like" except it wasn't it was round 23 and meant sweet F A.

It was end to end free flowing football. It was not finals like in the slightest. If it was 80 odd tackles would have been laid by each side.

Exactly, even Clarko admitted is was a good game for the fans. It was nothing like a final.
RudeBoy 

PostPosted: Tue Aug 30, 2016 10:37 pm

Stevo75 wrote:
Great post Rudeboy, always love your work. I'm extremely optimistic about next year and can't wait for it to get underway. Surely we are due for some luck on the injury front after having 3 years of injuries to KEY players. We've had no continuity which hurts and doesn't help build that cohesive team unit. If we can get our best team on the park for most of the year we will win more games than we lose. Big pre seasons from Elliott, Moore, Treloar, Adams and Fasolo will have all of them joining the elite with our captain and hopefully a fully fit Ben Reid. Exciting times.

Right on Stevo75. Next season will be an exhilarating one and I'll be backing bucks and our boys all the way to September action.
jackcass Cancer

PostPosted: Tue Aug 30, 2016 11:28 pm

Pies4shaw wrote:
Good pick up, there, JC. We absolutely must keep Witts and try to get them working as a team. A couple of speedy, crumbing forwards would be required - both of our guys are better than Ceglar and McEvoy and just as mobile. The problem isn't them playing up forward, it's the lack of persuasive contest at the fall of the ball.

Agree. Could imagine Rioli would love to have Witts and Grundy rotating forward.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index -> General Discussion All times are GMT + 11 Hours

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3
Page 3 of 3   

Jump to: