Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index
 The RulesThe Rules FAQFAQ
   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   CalendarCalendar   SearchSearch 

There's Dees, there's Tigers, but we are COLLINGWOOD

Users browsing this topic:0 Registered, 0 Hidden and 1 Guest
Registered Users: None

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index -> General Discussion

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
View previous topic :: View next topic  
woftam Gemini

I used to be undecided, but now I'm not so sure.

PostPosted: Mon Aug 29, 2016 12:02 pm
Post subject: Reply with quote

jackcass wrote:
^^ Maybe if we'd played the ruckman who beat them 62 - 23 hitouts (combined Fitzpatrick & Pittonet) a couple of weeks ago rather than the guy who has struggled in this area all season things might have been different.
Just unfortunate that Grundy chose yesterday to have a quieter day than what he's been producing of late. His around the ground work was very good but 3rd man up pretty much nullified his ruck advantage. That aside, Grundy off course did have more possessions and hitouts than both combined.

And off course Grundy himself is still a developing kid, no where near his peak. But you weren't interested in any real discussion about this, just scrounging for any negative you can find.

Clarko was always going to employ the 3rd man up tactic once McEvoy was ruled out. I'm not sure how you can counter it to be honest.
jackcass Cancer

PostPosted: Mon Aug 29, 2016 12:04 pm

woftam wrote:
jackcass wrote:
^^ Maybe if we'd played the ruckman who beat them 62 - 23 hitouts (combined Fitzpatrick & Pittonet) a couple of weeks ago rather than the guy who has struggled in this area all season things might have been different.
Just unfortunate that Grundy chose yesterday to have a quieter day than what he's been producing of late. His around the ground work was very good but 3rd man up pretty much nullified his ruck advantage. That aside, Grundy off course did have more possessions and hitouts than both combined.

And off course Grundy himself is still a developing kid, no where near his peak. But you weren't interested in any real discussion about this, just scrounging for any negative you can find.

Clarko was always going to employ the 3rd man up tactic once McEvoy was ruled out. I'm not sure how you can counter it to be honest.

Agree, not without giving away frees. Does make the outcome of the ruck contest much less predictable.
RudeBoy 

PostPosted: Mon Aug 29, 2016 12:45 pm

woftam wrote:
jackcass wrote:

Yet we smashed them at the clearances, because they went 3rd man up which meant they were one man short at the ground. I thought Bucks' coaching here was exemplary.
qldmagpie67 

PostPosted: Mon Aug 29, 2016 1:03 pm

RudeBoy wrote:
woftam wrote:
jackcass wrote:

Yet we smashed them at the clearances, because they went 3rd man up which meant they were one man short at the ground. I thought Bucks' coaching here was exemplary.

Agree rude there's not much you can do to combat it as you can't block or you give away a free and you don't know which player is going to be the 3rd man up. We got our hands on it first most of the time and cleared it reasonably well. I actually thought bucks had a good day coaching wise. He kept Mitchell's influence to a minimum, Hodge was sent to Treloar to try and negate him but then bucks sent Wills to annoy Hodge around the contest and give Treloar some space, Lewis wasn't damaging Burgoyne got a bit of it but he is an exceptional player and will always have some impact on the game & Cyril just did what Cyril does and find his way to space so often.
Cloke played his role really well I thought as well. Gave space to the other forwards by taking Frawley away from the contest and it also negated Gibson's ability to be able to be 3rd man up and spoil. Actually Gibson was fairly quiet as well.
Overall I think our style held up well and the loss of Aish hurt our run and carry the longer the game went.
For mine the coach gets a strong 8 1/2 out of 10 yesterday
Krakouer Magic 

PostPosted: Mon Aug 29, 2016 1:08 pm

What'sinaname wrote:
Let's not get ahead of ourselves. Hawthorn had two ruckman with 2 games of experience between them.

We should have smashed them in the clearances all day long.

Exactly, 11 of our best 22 were out? I'll list who we missed Reid, Adams, Moore, Fasolo and Elliot (though will he ever be the same player again?). The others are mainly on the cusp of the 22.

Hawks were missing Stratton, celgar, Roughead, Langford and McEvoy. Throw into that Hawks players weren't exactly going flat out. It reminded me of the time the Hawks beat us in round 22, 2010. Bruise free footy, high scoring and we lost mainly cause we had bigger things to worry about the following week.

We've got threads about injuries and umps costing us the game yesterday. Yet no one says "well our second goal, white actually threw it to Croker" or "blairs mark and goal in the 4th was actually interference on Fitzpatrick by Greenwood".

Just such a lack of objectivity on here. We've cleaned out players over the past 3 years, now it's assistant coaches and balmey's turn. Every year for the past 3 years has been the same "we've turned the corner, the futures bright, finals bound next year!".

And before I get called out for constantly being negative, I've said we've had the right list for the last 3 years. This year was more of the same though. Inconsistent, an almost schizophrenic team, from week to week, quarter to quarter. We aren't consistently great in any single area of the game.

Then by finishing 12th we get a harder draw that 13th to 18th. Depending on how those teams recruit in the off season (Essendon, Carlton, Fremantle and Richmond) would all be on the improve as well.

We have the list to make finals in 2017, regardless of what injuries happen. We should have made finals in 2016 even with the injuries we've had. It's just not acceptable to lose to Melbourne, Carlton, Port, Richmond, North and St Kilda.
jackcass Cancer

PostPosted: Mon Aug 29, 2016 2:33 pm

RudeBoy wrote:
woftam wrote:
jackcass wrote:

What was the final clearance numbers, 36-40... not sure that constitutes a smashing, particularly when you look at the quality of their clearance work relative to ours.
AnthonyC Aquarius

PostPosted: Mon Aug 29, 2016 2:39 pm

Krakouer Magic wrote:
...Throw into that Hawks players weren't exactly going flat out....

Well I'm not immune from saying something silly, but you really did well there.

Clearly they had nothing to play for.

Yes it is worthy of a rolleyes. Rolling Eyes

jackcass Cancer

PostPosted: Mon Aug 29, 2016 2:42 pm

Krakouer Magic wrote:
What'sinaname wrote:
Let's not get ahead of ourselves. Hawthorn had two ruckman with 2 games of experience between them.

Exactly, 11 of our best 22 were out? I'll list who we missed Reid, Adams, Moore, Fasolo and Elliot (though will he ever be the same player again?). The others are mainly on the cusp of the 22.

Hawks were missing Stratton, celgar, Roughead, Langford and McEvoy. Throw into that Hawks players weren't exactly going flat out. It reminded me of the time the Hawks beat us in round 22, 2010. Bruise free footy, high scoring and we lost mainly cause we had bigger things to worry about the following week.

We've got threads about injuries and umps costing us the game yesterday. Yet no one says "well our second goal, white actually threw it to Croker" or "blairs mark and goal in the 4th was actually interference on Fitzpatrick by Greenwood".

Just such a lack of objectivity on here. We've cleaned out players over the past 3 years, now it's assistant coaches and balmey's turn. Every year for the past 3 years has been the same "we've turned the corner, the futures bright, finals bound next year!".

And before I get called out for constantly being negative, I've said we've had the right list for the last 3 years. This year was more of the same though. Inconsistent, an almost schizophrenic team, from week to week, quarter to quarter. We aren't consistently great in any single area of the game.

Then by finishing 12th we get a harder draw that 13th to 18th. Depending on how those teams recruit in the off season (Essendon, Carlton, Fremantle and Richmond) would all be on the improve as well.

We have the list to make finals in 2017, regardless of what injuries happen. We should have made finals in 2016 even with the injuries we've had. It's just not acceptable to lose to Melbourne, Carlton, Port, Richmond, North and St Kilda.

Wow! Pot - Kettle - Black!

Langdon and Stratton are apparently top draw yet Langdon et al are fringe dwellers... Ceglar is such a great player...

And they weren't trying... probably had training load issues as well...

Last edited by jackcass on Mon Aug 29, 2016 2:43 pm; edited 1 time in total
woftam Gemini

PostPosted: Mon Aug 29, 2016 2:42 pm

RudeBoy wrote:
woftam wrote:
jackcass wrote:

Our rucks & mids were better than theirs in my opinion. The Fitzpatrick last goal I thought we were pretty unlucky. Grundy was on the ground fighting for the footy in the dying minutes. One man out of that centre square face off was standing back watching everybody else go hell for leather.He ended up with the ball after Burgoyne won the clearance. The rest is history.
woftam Gemini

PostPosted: Mon Aug 29, 2016 2:45 pm

qldmagpie67 wrote:
RudeBoy wrote:
woftam wrote:
jackcass wrote:

Agree rude there's not much you can do to combat it as you can't block or you give away a free and you don't know which player is going to be the 3rd man up. We got our hands on it first most of the time and cleared it reasonably well. I actually thought bucks had a good day coaching wise. He kept Mitchell's influence to a minimum, Hodge was sent to Treloar to try and negate him but then bucks sent Wills to annoy Hodge around the contest and give Treloar some space, Lewis wasn't damaging Burgoyne got a bit of it but he is an exceptional player and will always have some impact on the game & Cyril just did what Cyril does and find his way to space so often.
Cloke played his role really well I thought as well. Gave space to the other forwards by taking Frawley away from the contest and it also negated Gibson's ability to be able to be 3rd man up and spoil. Actually Gibson was fairly quiet as well.
Overall I think our style held up well and the loss of Aish hurt our run and carry the longer the game went.
For mine the coach gets a strong 8 1/2 out of 10 yesterday

Good post!!!!!!
Dave The Man Scorpio

PostPosted: Mon Aug 29, 2016 2:50 pm

Glad we did not put in for the last game. Opposite then Dees and Tigers.

But Tigers beat us last time and Dees beat us Twice this season

Piesnchess 

piesnchess

PostPosted: Mon Aug 29, 2016 6:05 pm

Pies4shaw wrote:
A loss is a loss. Just a dismal end to another dismal season.

2016 was over as a competitive prospect at the 20-minute mark of the first quarter of round 1 against the Swans, when it became tragically clear just how far behind the opposition our team actually is.

Let's hope that the 2017 edition of the team burns a little brighter for a little longer.

NOPE, you can thank fatboy Robbo for the Rd 1 smashing, he totally de railed our season opener, with his vile accusations of drug use, the bastard stingled out us, us alone, and ran with it, and it devastated our confidence. We never recovered, then mass injuries piled up, it is what it is. But, hopefull better times are now ahead of us. Surprised

Chess and Vodka are born brothers. - Russian proverb.
Piethagoras' Theorem Taurus

the hypotenuse, is always a cakewalk

PostPosted: Mon Aug 29, 2016 8:11 pm

The loss stung like hell, as bad as any this season, I'm just so sick of losing to these @&$!S! Evil or Very Mad The team has evolved though and I've seen enough to be a bit excited about the next few years. A bit of luck on the injury front and I've no doubt we're finals bound, even pushing top 4. Good times ahead!
didick 

didick

PostPosted: Mon Aug 29, 2016 9:31 pm

http://www.foxsports.com.au/afl/richmond-fan-and-sen-caller-mario-from-doncasters-hilarious-meltdown-over-massive-loss-to-sydney-swans/news-story/8a13a7a2d22542ffd289faaa269a2024
RudeBoy 

PostPosted: Mon Aug 29, 2016 9:36 pm

Krakouer Magic wrote:
What'sinaname wrote:

My list includes Moore, Adams, Reid, Fasolo, Elliott, Swan, Langdon, Scharenberg, Ramsay, Sinclair and possibly (borderline I agree) Broomhead. That's at least 10.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index -> General Discussion All times are GMT + 11 Hours

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
Page 2 of 3   

Jump to: