Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index
 The RulesThe Rules FAQFAQ
   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   CalendarCalendar   SearchSearch 

Will watch with interest. Clubs keen on Dawes.

Users browsing this topic:0 Registered, 0 Hidden and 0 Guests
Registered Users: None

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index -> Nick's Other AFL

Goto page 1, 2  Next
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Presti35 Virgo

Dick Lee for Legend Status

PostPosted: Thu Aug 25, 2016 4:23 am
Post subject: Will watch with interest. Clubs keen on Dawes.Reply with quote

http://www.afl.com.au/news/2016-08-24/clubs-keen-on-outofcontract-demon

So it seems that some of the other clubs are looking at Dawes (2Cool with his opportunities at Melbourne harder to find behind their younger set up.

I wonder which clubs are looking at him?

Strange to think they had a Clarke-Dawes set up only a couple seasons ago, and now looking at a Hogan-Weideman set up.

Whatever they're paying Dawes will go towards paying (and keeping) Hogan next year. But it'd be sweet if he left them for Freo.

Anyway, I'll be interested to see what happens with Dawes. He really fell away after 2011 didnt he?

What'sinaname Libra

PostPosted: Fri Aug 26, 2016 4:20 pm
Post subject: Reply with quote

Dawes' decline was worse that Jack Anthony's. That alone should scare every club away from this massive spud
piedys Taurus

Heeeeeeere's Dyso!!!

PostPosted: Fri Aug 26, 2016 5:27 pm

Glad Dawes left, so Dees could gift us Grundy; imagine playing Melbourne with Gawn and Grundy controlling the stoppages? No thanks!
Dave The Man Scorpio

PostPosted: Fri Aug 26, 2016 5:51 pm

piedys wrote:
Glad Dawes left, so Dees could gift us Grundy; imagine playing Melbourne with Gawn and Grundy controlling the stoppages? No thanks!

Dawes Pick was Broomhead.

Wellingham's pick we got from Eagles was Grundy's Pick

ronrat 

PostPosted: Fri Aug 26, 2016 7:47 pm

Dave The Man wrote:
piedys wrote:

Semantic DTM. We had 3 in a row.

Pies4shaw Leo

pies4shaw

PostPosted: Sat Aug 27, 2016 8:30 am

Why is it necessary to refer to him as a "massive spud"? He was a fine contributor in our 2010 season and helped the 'pies to a flag. He didn't ever really recover from the bad hand-break and "corrective" eye surgery he had late in his time with Collingwood. It isn't his fault that Melbourne offered him a ridiculous contract.
What'sinaname Libra

PostPosted: Sat Aug 27, 2016 9:06 am

Pies4shaw wrote:
Why is it necessary to refer to him as a "massive spud"? He was a fine contributor in our 2010 season and helped the 'pies to a flag. He didn't ever really recover from the bad hand-break and "corrective" eye surgery he had late in his time with Collingwood. It isn't his fault that Melbourne offered him a ridiculous contract.

Like IBM and the census, once you accept what is the rather large sum of money to do a job, then you open yourself up to criticism when you fail. Whether I call Dawes a spectacular failure / massive spud / useless footballer, it's all the same.
Presti35 Virgo

PostPosted: Mon Aug 29, 2016 6:09 am

I think the Dees are going to let him go.

New coach. He'll tidy up a bit before he gets behind the desk I reckon.

Harry probably on the way out too.

piedys Taurus

Heeeeeeere's Dyso!!!

PostPosted: Thu Sep 01, 2016 3:38 pm

ronrat wrote:
Dave The Man wrote:
piedys wrote:

Semantic DTM. We had 3 in a row.

Including the one we pissed away on Kennedy.

Presti35 Virgo

PostPosted: Thu Sep 01, 2016 9:23 pm

^ yeah but turned that into Howe, so....
The Prototype Virgo

Paint my face with a good-for-nothin smile.

PostPosted: Fri Sep 02, 2016 1:52 am

Pies4shaw wrote:

I liked Dawes and was sad that he left the club, I don't blame him for that, though his last season and a lot of it after has not been really been massive I wouldn't call him a massive spud.

Injuries have helped affect him no doubt, and no doubt he felt he deserved to be best 22 at the club and not have to take a backseat to Lynch at the time. But I guess we tried to give him a role that wasn't him.

He could have a role in a VFL side, not sure he has much AFL left in him.

https://www.facebook.com/davehardingphotography
https://www.facebook.com/Davage
think positive Libra

Side By Side

PostPosted: Sat Sep 03, 2016 10:08 am

The Prototype wrote:
Pies4shaw wrote:

I liked Dawes and was sad that he left the club, I don't blame him for that, though his last season and a lot of it after has not been really been massive I wouldn't call him a massive spud.

Injuries have helped affect him no doubt, and no doubt he felt he deserved to be best 22 at the club and not have to take a backseat to Lynch at the time. But I guess we tried to give him a role that wasn't him.

He could have a role in a VFL side, not sure he has much AFL left in him.

I'm with both of you

He was magnificent for us in several games. Maybe the coach couldn't get his best out of him. Certainly his last year he was obviously struggling with confidence when he kept getting dropped. And then it was leave or rot in the VFL.

Oh wait where have I heard this story before?

Jezza Taurus

2023 PREMIERS!

PostPosted: Sat Sep 03, 2016 6:03 pm

Dawes was a great contributor in 2010 and his form in early 2011 was excellent, but after sustaining a broken knuckle in his hand and having eye surgery, he was a shadow of the player he once demonstrated in the early parts of his career.

I have no issue that he moved on especially when we got Quinten Lynch and turfed him out of the team in the process, which raised eyebrows from some at the time due to a six year age difference and Lynch was coming to the end of his career.

Also looking back on it, Dawes was also a victim of playing the so-called 'Leigh Brown role' throughout 2012 which stalled his development.

The Prototype Virgo

PostPosted: Sat Sep 03, 2016 6:57 pm

We failed to make Dawes the new Leigh Brown, so Lynch was going to do that role and Dawes was going to go back to what he was doing before. I guess when Dawes was told he was going to have to fight for a spot with the pecking order the way it was he wasn't too pleased and wanted to go.

Dawes has had a few setbacks since and hasnt really set the world on fire with the Dees when he has been on the park. VFL may have been the place for him in the end.

But at least he seems to have a good head on his shoulders and will have a good post-AFL career in law.

The Prototype Virgo

PostPosted: Sat Sep 03, 2016 7:04 pm

think positive wrote:

I'm with both of you

He was magnificent for us in several games. Maybe the coach couldn't get his best out of him. Certainly his last year he was obviously struggling with confidence when he kept getting dropped. And then it was leave or rot in the VFL.

Oh wait where have I heard this story before?

I don't blame the coach for dropping Cloke, I think VFL was the best place for him to find confidence away from the big crowds and all the other eyes that were on him. At least down in the VFL there wasn't a big following and he didn't have the fans heckling him as much.

He tried playing crowd noise into his headset to get him used to it and all that, so I am guessing that could be part his issue. I think it runs deeper than that and we have had Hendy trying to help him, but seems there's a lot going on in that head that cannot be fixed.

Dawes on the other hand I believe his injuries brought a decline in form and confidence, once Lynch was given the role of Leigh Brown and it was taken from Dawes who lacked the ability to become another Leigh Brown he may have thought it was time to move on.

I am not sure what Cloke's issues are, the massive contract pressure that was on him couldn't have helped him any. His dad shopping him around and fans heckling him as well couldn't have either.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index -> Nick's Other AFL All times are GMT + 11 Hours

Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2   

Jump to: