Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index
 The RulesThe Rules FAQFAQ
   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   CalendarCalendar   SearchSearch 

Filling in the gaps

Users browsing this topic:0 Registered, 0 Hidden and 0 Guests
Registered Users: None

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index -> General Discussion

View previous topic :: View next topic  
RudeBoy 

PostPosted: Thu Sep 22, 2016 4:02 pm
Post subject: Filling in the gapsReply with quote

It's the off season and I am bored, so here's a challenge. We've all had a go at picking our possible best team for 2017, but how about we list the team, leaving blanks where we need much better players? My list is based on the assumption that Scharenberg, Ramsay and Elliott all make full recoveries and are available to play.

B: Maynard ? Langdon

HB: Scharenberg Reid Ramsay

C: Crisp Pendles Aish

HF: De Goey ? Fasolo

F: Elliott Moore ?

Foll: Grundy, Treloar, Adams

IC: Sidey, Varcoe, ?, ?

Obviously we have a host of players who could fill these gaps, such as:

Cox
White
Wills
Brown
Crocker
Broomhead
Blair
Phillips

However, I suggest they'd all need to improve significantly (which some should) or be replaced by better options if we are to become a top 4 contender.
Mossi Leo

PostPosted: Thu Sep 22, 2016 4:28 pm
Post subject: Reply with quote

RB Just had a quick look and looks like you missed Howe, fast becoming a favourite of mine.
RudeBoy 

PostPosted: Thu Sep 22, 2016 4:43 pm

Mossi wrote:
RB Just had a quick look and looks like you missed Howe, fast becoming a favourite of mine.

Well spotted Mossi.

In: Howe

Out: Langdon (possibly to the IC bench)
jackcass Cancer

PostPosted: Thu Sep 22, 2016 5:21 pm

Looks about right once Howe slotted back into the starting 18.

Will watch with interest to see how Cox progresses in 2017. If we don't get an alternative via trade or draft he and White are going to be pivotal to our chances in 2017.

I think someone will need to be playing pretty good footy to keep Smith and Marsh out of the side with another preseason under their respective belts. Smith in particular would be vying with Crisp for that wing position.
What'sinaname Libra

PostPosted: Thu Sep 22, 2016 7:55 pm

Gault obviously fills the gap in the forward line. Lock him in Eddie.
Mugwump 

PostPosted: Thu Sep 22, 2016 8:03 pm

You're pretty bullish on Scharenberg for a bloke who has hardly been on the park and I think Sinclair, if he gets over his concussion issue, is a potential star. Unfortunately we have not seen the best of him given injuries, but I'd have Sinclair there in place of Schaz on exposed form. of course, if Schaz is as good as the hype, he'll be there.
stui magpie Gemini

Prepare for the worst, hope for the best.

PostPosted: Thu Sep 22, 2016 8:44 pm

Quote:
B: Maynard ? Langdon

HB: Scharenberg Reid Ramsay

C: Crisp Pendles Aish

HF: De Goey ? Fasolo

F: Elliott Moore ?

Foll: Grundy, Treloar, Adams

IC: Sidey, Varcoe, ?, ?

I'd put Cox at FF with Elliot and Fas in the pockets, play Moore at CHF with a roaming commission to use his athleticism. De Goey and Sidey as the HFF.

Key Backs are Reid, with FB Frost or Brown. Keefe is a maybe depending how he pulls up with many teams playing 2 ruckmen with one in the forward line, or just 200cm+ key forwards, Keeffe will be valuable

Not convinced on either Sharra or Langdon. Howe gets one HBF and Manyard is a lock for mine down back somewhere, so there's one small back job up for grabs, ideally someone with speed and good disposal. Reid and Howe take care of the intercept marking. Varcoe?

Pies4shaw Leo

pies4shaw

PostPosted: Thu Sep 22, 2016 10:23 pm

Can Scharenberg stand unassisted, yet? Is Elliott still in two pieces in the loading bay? Have they found Ramsay's other leg? Will Treloar ever be able to kick for goal as well as Cloke? Can Pendlebury improve a little each year for the next decade to take up the slack? Can Sidebottom get a late growth-spurt and take over at CHF?

These are all extremely valuable questions. We should revisit them, yet again, on Sunday.
Presti35 Virgo

Dick Lee for Legend Status

PostPosted: Fri Sep 23, 2016 3:25 am

I posted in the wrong thread, sorry.

Last edited by Presti35 on Fri Sep 23, 2016 6:22 am; edited 1 time in total
Mugwump 

PostPosted: Fri Sep 23, 2016 4:36 am

jackcass wrote:

Will watch with interest to see how Cox progresses in 2017. If we don't get an alternative via trade or draft he and White are going to be pivotal to our chances in 2017.

I think someone will need to be playing pretty good footy to keep Smith and Marsh out of the side with another preseason under their respective belts. Smith in particular would be vying with Crisp for that wing position.

Funny, but I do not see Cox as a positive at all, unless it is in the ruck (and even there, I have my doubts). He seems to me the ultimate slow, immobile forward, and I think that his inclusion hurt us last year in most games (esp Richmond), as he provides zero defensive pressure up forward.

Could he become a top quality ruckman and release Grundy for CHF ? I have my doubts that he'll ever be a patch on the excellent Brodie in ruck, and Brodie was not crash hot up forward either, when tried there in the past.

So I tend to discount Cox from my 2017 calculations at this stage. As usual when dismissing a Pies player , hope I am wrong...

qldmagpie67 

PostPosted: Fri Sep 23, 2016 5:56 am

Pies4shaw wrote:
Can Scharenberg stand unassisted, yet? Is Elliott still in two pieces in the loading bay? Have they found Ramsay's other leg? Will Treloar ever be able to kick for goal as well as Cloke? Can Pendlebury improve a little each year for the next decade to take up the slack? Can Sidebottom get a late growth-spurt and take over at CHF?

These are all extremely valuable questions. We should revisit them, yet again, on Sunday.

I know it's not Sunday but important questions like this need urgent attention

Yes Scharenberg can stand unassisted since we installed those wooden legs. He's slowly getting used to them and hopefully our budget stretches to adding feet to the legs sooner than later
Elliott has been moved from the loading dock and is now in cold storage (cyragenic) we are bullish about his chances to be right for our 2312 assault on the premiership under the guidance of our new head coach Zeb Buckley the great great great great great great grandson of Nathan
We did actually find Ramsays leg it was stowed in Swanny's locker as spare parts in case his operation had failed
Treloar's kicking has improved markedly he actually now understands that the 2 big posts in the middle should be his targets. Apparently he was coached by Demir Cloke as a child and had to have a full frontal labottomy to adjust his thinking
Pendles continued improvement is a given in fact in our 2312 premiership assault he actually plays midfield, ruck, CHF, CHB & wing in at the same time
Unfortunately Sidey suffered a career ending injury. He was unfortunately run over by a bulldozer in his bath tub at home by a crazed magpie supporter from Queensland screaming no more dinky kicks. The good news was the bulldozer was unharmed as there were not awards or trophies in the lounge room to get stuck in the treads.
P4S I think we need to revisit these questions again maybe tomorrow to see if there's been any further developments
jackcass Cancer

PostPosted: Fri Sep 23, 2016 10:44 am

Mugwump wrote:
jackcass wrote:

Funny, but I do not see Cox as a positive at all, unless it is in the ruck (and even there, I have my doubts). He seems to me the ultimate slow, immobile forward, and I think that his inclusion hurt us last year in most games (esp Richmond), as he provides zero defensive pressure up forward.

Could he become a top quality ruckman and release Grundy for CHF ? I have my doubts that he'll ever be a patch on the excellent Brodie in ruck, and Brodie was not crash hot up forward either, when tried there in the past.

So I tend to discount Cox from my 2017 calculations at this stage. As usual when dismissing a Pies player , hope I am wrong...

Still learning the craft and would have gained enormously from his exposure this year. I'm hopeful that will see further gains in 2017. I see him more as a forward who rucks occasionally.
3rd degree Aries

PostPosted: Fri Sep 23, 2016 10:56 am

What'sinaname wrote:
Gault obviously fills the gap in the forward line. Lock him in Eddie.

At last you bring enlightenment!

www.facebook/the hybernators
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index -> General Discussion All times are GMT + 11 Hours

Page 1 of 1   

Jump to: