Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index
 The RulesThe Rules FAQFAQ
   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   CalendarCalendar   SearchSearch 

The Draw - A Symphony

Users browsing this topic:0 Registered, 0 Hidden and 0 Guests
Registered Users: None

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index -> General Discussion

View previous topic :: View next topic  
WarrenerraW 

PostPosted: Wed Aug 24, 2016 8:51 pm
Post subject: The Draw - A SymphonyReply with quote

Not sure if many/if any of you nicksters know about this but the arts centre are putting on this special event leading into this year's GF: the 2010 drawn grand final showcased on a big screen to the sounds of a symphonic orchestra. I'm there's still tickets available. That's the link below and a blurb from their website.

https://www.artscentremelbourne.com.au/whats-on/2016/classical-music/the-draw-a-symphony

The Draw: A Symphony

with the Melbourne Symphony Orchestra
Composed by Tamil Rogeon

A live orchestrated screening of the drawn 2010 TOYOTA AFL Grand Final

This September Arts Centre Melbourne will join forces with the AFL and the Melbourne Symphony Orchestra to bring The Draw: A Symphony to the Hamer Hall stage. A live orchestrated screening of the drawn 2010 TOYOTA AFL Grand Final between St Kilda and Collingwood - an epic game that most Australians have never forgotten.

Played live by the Melbourne Symphony Orchestra, the nail biting Grand Final draw will be relived on the big screen with originally composed work by Tamil Rogeon (True Live, The Raah Project) highlighting every dramatic leap, bound, touch and goal.

Rogeon’s score further emphasises every moment of tension, elation and humour in the fight for ultimate victory which left AFL fans across the country on the edge of their seat.

A truly unique collision of two of Melbourne’s greatest loves, The Draw: A Symphony brings together the two worlds of passionate AFL footy and classical music.

“In arguably the best finish to a grand final in the modern era, a behind to St Kilda's Lenny Hayes at the 29-minute mark levelled the scores” – The Age

“The final seconds were played out in desperate fashion, with players risking limb, if not life, in a bid to find a decider. It was, however, to no avail, leaving all with the most hollow of feelings” – The Australian
piedys Taurus

Heeeeeeere's Dyso!!!

PostPosted: Wed Aug 24, 2016 9:29 pm
Post subject: Reply with quote

Probably better than showing most of our 2016 losses, with the Benny Hill Yakketty-sax tune blaring at all the fumbles and turn-overs, or Looney tunes theme playing for accompaniment...
Mugwump 

PostPosted: Wed Aug 24, 2016 9:36 pm

Love it - Maxwell's mark and play on late in the last quarter of that game, leading to our last goal, is still one of the greatest moments in Collingwood's history - ever. I put it up there with Daicos's first goal in the 1990 GF.

It all deserves symphonic treatment.

Presti35 Virgo

Dick Lee for Legend Status

PostPosted: Thu Aug 25, 2016 3:59 am

Id go to this if I wasnt living overseas.

Bit pricey though.

sixpoints 

PostPosted: Thu Aug 25, 2016 7:25 am

Got a mate who works in the media department of the AFL. He's got tickets so I'll be going to Hamer Hall. The MSO meets the Pies....it should be interesting. He reckons the project is going really well and it should be a helluva show. Anyway it gives me something Pies related to look forward to in September!
watt price tully Scorpio

PostPosted: Thu Aug 25, 2016 9:33 am

What a great idea.

Full of pathos and bathos but no Peter Daicos.

How much are pies at the Arts centre?

I don't know if I could watch that replay (again). Pretty painful & raw even 6 years later.

RudeBoy 

PostPosted: Thu Aug 25, 2016 12:29 pm

A gimmick to try and make money from Pies fans. Pass.
WarrenerraW 

PostPosted: Sat Aug 27, 2016 9:28 am

Mugwump wrote:
Love it - Maxwell's mark and play on late in the last quarter of that game, leading to our last goal, is still one of the greatest moments in Collingwood's history - ever. I put it up there with Daicos's first goal in the 1990 GF.

It all deserves symphonic treatment.

And his diving smother to rush through a behind.
WarrenerraW 

PostPosted: Sat Aug 27, 2016 9:31 am

RudeBoy wrote:
A gimmick to try and make money from Pies fans. Pass.

Ah come on, it's hardly kiss cam. Now that's what a call a gimmick.
Collingwood Crackerjack 

PostPosted: Sat Aug 27, 2016 9:48 am

watt price tully wrote:
What a great idea.

Full of pathos and bathos but no Peter Daicos.

How much are pies at the Arts centre?

I don't know if I could watch that replay (again). Pretty painful & raw even 6 years later.

I believe thats the tag line on the advertising posters

© Collingwood Crackerjack, 1992
HAL 

Please don't shout at me - I can't help it.

PostPosted: Sat Aug 27, 2016 9:52 am

Pretty much, eh?
Collingwood 4 eternity 

PostPosted: Thu Sep 22, 2016 11:11 pm

Wow it was just as emotionally draining as the actual GF

MSO and excerpts of the 7 commentators and abc radio at the key moments of the match

Clokes misses , Dawes misses , Maxys smother , Davis goal , Maxys mark which led to Clokes goal each replayed from every angle

A half time montage of Malthouses verbal (overlaid by the MSO ) emotions in the box and with the players , which when it ended a lone voice in the hall yelled out "Bring him back" which the audience laughed and applauded.

Was a very good production , it should be brought out on DVD with the MSO overlayed

WarrenerraW 

PostPosted: Fri Sep 23, 2016 12:09 am

I'm with you there. It was an awesome night. Not once did the music ever take away from the visuals. Loved reliving every heart wrenching moment of what was an incredible rollercoaster ride of a game. Don't know how we didn't win or lose. That MM montage was a bit cringe worthy yet comical. Surprised Ross the toss never featured in it. He's good for a tantrum or two, but how important was Maxwell that day. That diving smother and mark. Loved it. It was his leadership and the effort of a few others like swan heater and daisy that gave us a shot at redemption. Clokes misses in the second were typical cloke then the five consecutive behinds in the third followed by a goal by Davis in the 4th who up until then had about as many possessions as me that day. I was secretly hoping there'd be an encore featuring the GF2.
Fatui Attata 

PostPosted: Fri Sep 23, 2016 1:06 am

I loved it! Standing ovation. All the stuff ups, tension and such extraordinary commitment, and the whole time you know there was no result. That was the inherent drama of the story. At the same time, way back in the depths of all of our Collingwood minds was the comforting reminder of the euphoria we all felt one week later. The footage was sublime. The editing told the same story, but on a much deeper level. The closest I'll ever get to seeing something akin to watching my life flash before my eyes. Brilliant!!
Harrysz 

PostPosted: Fri Sep 23, 2016 8:44 am

It was brilliant.
Somehow, Benny Johnson's heroics in the last few seconds were missed but most of the important stuff was included.
Whenever a Collingwood goal was scored the Collingwood supporters in the audience applauded. Same with the St Kilda goals. The St Kilda applause seemed louder than the Collingwood applause.
The MSO was wonderful(as always) and the editing was first class.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index -> General Discussion All times are GMT + 11 Hours

Page 1 of 1   

Jump to: