Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index
 The RulesThe Rules FAQFAQ
   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   CalendarCalendar   SearchSearch 

4000 years of world history at a glance.

Users browsing this topic:0 Registered, 0 Hidden and 0 Guests
Registered Users: None

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index -> Victoria Park Tavern

View previous topic :: View next topic  
stui magpie Gemini

Prepare for the worst, hope for the best.

PostPosted: Tue Aug 23, 2016 6:01 pm
Post subject: 4000 years of world history at a glance.Reply with quote

http://www.businessinsider.com.au/if-you-love-history-and-you-love-maps-youre-going-to-flip-over-the-histomap-2016-8

Quote:
Care to see 4000 years of history at a glance?

That was the irresistible promise from Slate, which dug up “The Histomap” from the David Rumsey Map Collection recently and brought it to our attention.

It’s not strictly a map, but more of an early infographic from a time when there were no slideshows or click-and-zoom options.

“The Histomap” was created by John B. Sparks and first printed by Rand McNally in 1931. And we wanted to show it you mainly because it’s an incredible example of how much information you can cram on one page and at the same, show a much bigger picture.

I thought this was really cool. From the link you can go to the site that houses the "map" and look at the history of different groups/countries/cultures over the last 400 years, see how their power expanded, reduced and in several cases fully faded away or was supplanted by someone else. I've always liked history, just not the crap that was taught at school.

sixpoints 

PostPosted: Tue Aug 23, 2016 8:10 pm
Post subject: Reply with quote

Nice map, but it's interesting how the author lists nothing of note ever worth mentioning from Australia, the Pacific, Indonesia or Africa (besides ancient Egypt). Stuff all too about Central and South America. It's way too Euro-Centric, but I do like the idea and layout.
David Libra

I dare you to try

PostPosted: Tue Aug 23, 2016 8:39 pm

Interesting, thanks. I'm sure I remember coming across that map in old educational supplies shops many years ago. I've always been fascinated by this kind of stuff. One of my favourite books as a child was The Times Atlas of European History, which shows how European borders and nation states have changed over 3000 odd years. Couldn't recommend it highly enough if you're into this stuff:

https://www.goodreads.com/book/show/1193068.The_Times_Atlas_of_European_History

HAL 

Please don't shout at me - I can't help it.

PostPosted: Tue Aug 23, 2016 8:43 pm

Would you like to know more?
stui magpie Gemini

Prepare for the worst, hope for the best.

PostPosted: Tue Aug 23, 2016 8:59 pm

sixpoints wrote:
Nice map, but it's interesting how the author lists nothing of note ever worth mentioning from Australia, the Pacific, Indonesia or Africa (besides ancient Egypt). Stuff all too about Central and South America. It's way too Euro-Centric, but I do like the idea and layout.

Yeah, I get where you're coming from but the premise as I get it is about mapping the relative power exerted by different societies. The missing areas you mention, practically had none, certainly not in the 1930's when i was made.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index -> Victoria Park Tavern All times are GMT + 11 Hours

Page 1 of 1   

Jump to: