Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index
 The RulesThe Rules FAQFAQ
   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   CalendarCalendar   SearchSearch 

Post season list improvements

Users browsing this topic:0 Registered, 0 Hidden and 0 Guests
Registered Users: None

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index -> General Discussion

Goto page 1, 2  Next
View previous topic :: View next topic  
inxs88 

PostPosted: Wed Aug 17, 2016 2:00 am
Post subject: Post season list improvementsReply with quote

Obviously a the silly season is starting with rumours of departures and possible trade in targets. It's always interesting to see 'would be list managers" who think that Marley + Cloke shall net Hurley and Marchbank for example.

That aside, I shall attempt to join the silly season circus with a few thoughts and predictions that may provide a catalyst for our resurgence back into finals calculations. So lets examine the state of play:

WHAT DO WE LACK?

* small crumbing forward
* quality small back who provides both run and carry + shuts down smalls
* an elite tall back to provide support for Reid
* a "Gunston" type 191cm forward capable of 40-50 goals per year

WHAT DRAFT PICKS DO WE HAVE?

25, 43, 61, 79, 97, 115 (approx.)

WHAT PLAYER CURRENCY DO WE HAVE?

Well this a subjective exercise but "one man's trash is another man's treasure". So let's put forward some options:

1. Jarrod Witts

* some pundits say a pick as high as 15 some say as high as 35. Recent trades that may give some comparison or benchmark include Tom Hickey (pick 13 plus a positive swap of later picks). Not bad for a then Gold Coast Ruck whom was 3rd in line behind Zac Smith and Tom Nicholls. There is a shortage of available Ruck options this year and with at least 6 clubs including Bulldogs, GWS and Richmond amongst them. Rucks also generally command a premium come trade period.

outcome: reckon a pick in the early 20's is achievable

2. Nathan Brown:

*he has many fans hear on Nick's and just as many detractors. As a free agent key back, may also pique the curiosities of clubs lacking in this vital area. If the push for Hurley is legitimate and ultimately successful, it's fair to assume he won't be in our plans. Can see him getting a 3 year deal elsewhere on $400,000+ which was similar to Shaun Higgins arrangement.

outcome: a pick around 30

3. Marley W:

* rumours of unprofessionalism and homesickness surround Marley and if he wants out, don't think the club should attempt to change his mind given the historical club support and his "dud left foot".

outcome: a direct swap to a homesick Ed Langdon (pick 46 in 2014 draft) seems like a win/win.

4. Travis Cloke:

*his lack of plan b, second efforts and general agility has made him a redundant force. Sad but we have to admit it. With supposedly 3-4 clubs circling, this could bump up his market value. Does turn 30 in March so a first round pick would be unrealistic.

Outcome: pick between 25-30 with steak knives our way

5. Jarryd Blair:

*140 games, 26 years of age, Premiership player and solid citizen but not what we need. Apparently the Eagles have been monitoring his situation and don't be surprised if the Gold Coast (via Eade) makes a bid:

Outcome: pick in the 45-55 range

6. Miscellaneous:

* Broomhead: keep at all costs
* Toovey: no currency, delisted or retire (has health sector ambitions)
* Macaffer: no currency, VFL offer should beckon
* Frost: likely to be kept as back up if Brown goes
* Swan: shall retire in all likelihood
* Oxley: contracted and we should keep

SO WHO SHOULD WE TARGET IN TRADE WEEK:

Many rumours out there of which some would have us with Fyfe, Walters, Hurley and Marchbank at Pie land, but lets be realistic. I think Bucks would be keen to add:

1. Hoskin Elliott:

* former pick 4 in draft whose versatility and X factor would assist does come with injury baggage. 50 matches in virtually 5 seasons suggest that although his potential is there, his market value has diminished. With GWS under salary cap and list management stress...

outcome: he is worth a pick in the 20's

2. Ricky Henderson:

* Nathan has been a fan as far back as 2014. Like Hoskin Elliott, he does have injury issues and is 28. However, as a free agent this year we won't be losing existing precious draft picks on securing him:

outcome: if we get him, the potential Nathan Brown compo pick would probably offset Henderson's acquisition.

3. Michael Hurley:

* the $64 question. If he chose us as a club, we would be negligent in not moving heaven and earth to secure this 7+ season AA gun.

Outcome: we would love for him to be a "delisted free agent" and come for free but in this "politically correct, sensitive new age list management environment" I would think that the Paddy Ryder goodwill trade from Port Adelaide to the Dons, would be the pathway both clubs take:

eg.

swap pick recived for Witts (pick 23 approx.) + pick 25 (our second) to GWS for our pick 7 (the Treloar pick returned) then ontrade this and a future second rounder 2017 for Hurley.

4. J. Daicos & Callum Brown:

* Do we have anything left over you may ask. Well father: son picks do get an immediate 20% discount on points needed for their accrual. Brett Anderson (SEN) whose grasp on the TAC Cup is exceptional leans towards Daicos as a likely second rounder and Brown as a third rounder. Obviously some clubs shall bid and force us to use "market value selections".

Outcome:

Daicos: pick 43 may work nicely here

Brown: packaging 61 and a possible Blair draft pick should suffice.

RESULTS:

In:

1. Hoskin Elliott
2. Ricky Hendeson
3. Michael Hurley
4. Callum Brown
5. Josh Daicos
6. Ed Langdon

Yes this is just one person's opinion, however the weight of factual data, researched click bait and informed gossip suggests these are the players bucks and Hine want to add to the 2017 line up.

Last edited by inxs88 on Wed Aug 17, 2016 1:32 pm; edited 41 times in total
E 

PostPosted: Wed Aug 17, 2016 2:24 am
Post subject: Reply with quote

i think you are mad to trade Nathan brown for pick 30. the guy has just as many years left (5) as Ben Reid. he lowered his colors a little bit a couple of times this year, but he is an ideal full back type.

Part of the problem with Brown is that because he is currently surrounded by players with poor disposal, you are expecting too much from him. If you return good ball users around him like Scharenberg, langdon, Ramsey and reid (and hopefully by some miracle sinclair) then he can go back to doing what he is supposed to do. Negate the best power forward on their team (something he always does pretty well - so well that i notice the rare times he gets beaten one on one - it is the exception rather than the rule - having said rthat, he is not Rance but neither are the 17 other full backs in the league and we dont have an obvious replacement).

woftam Gemini

I used to be undecided, but now I'm not so sure.

PostPosted: Wed Aug 17, 2016 9:34 am

E wrote:
i think you are mad to trade Nathan brown for pick 30. the guy has just as many years left (5) as Ben Reid. he lowered his colors a little bit a couple of times this year, but he is an ideal full back type.

Part of the problem with Brown is that because he is currently surrounded by players with poor disposal, you are expecting too much from him. If you return good ball users around him like Scharenberg, langdon, Ramsey and reid (and hopefully by some miracle sinclair) then he can go back to doing what he is supposed to do. Negate the best power forward on their team (something he always does pretty well - so well that i notice the rare times he gets beaten one on one - it is the exception rather than the rule - having said rthat, he is not Rance but neither are the 17 other full backs in the league and we dont have an obvious replacement).

Yeah the problem with having defenders who cannot kick well is the opposition allow them freedom to receive the ball sideways from better kicking players. Teams leave the likes of Frost, Brown & Marsh the freedom to get the footy deep in defence because they know they are a big chance to turn it over. For us the opposition just make sure Reid & Howe are covered & then wait for the turn over.
E 

PostPosted: Wed Aug 17, 2016 9:45 am

woftam wrote:
E wrote:

Yeah the problem with having defenders who cannot kick well is the opposition allow them freedom to receive the ball sideways from better kicking players. Teams leave the likes of Frost, Brown & Marsh the freedom to get the footy deep in defence because they know they are a big chance to turn it over. For us the opposition just make sure Reid & Howe are covered & then wait for the turn over.

I understand this, but the reality is that Brown's main job is to make sure there are few to no marks taken by his direct opponent. Brown is not a great kick I agree, but he is fairly reliable in his disposal. Lumping him with Marsh and Frost is not accurate. The issue, again, is when Brown is one of 4 players whose kicking skills isn't a weapon. Then it has the potential to be more of a liability.

No one EVER mentioned Brown's lack of skills when he was in a backline with Shaw, Lumumba, Leon Davis, Maxwell and Reid. Man that was a string defensive unit. We really should have won more than 1 premiership with that team....... what a shame Reid, Wellers, Jolly and others were all lame on GF day.

MatthewBoydFanClub 

PostPosted: Wed Aug 17, 2016 9:50 am

Furthermore on Brown, he was elected to the leadership group at the start of the year. For the sake of continuity he needs to stay on the list into next year. We don't have any other leaders in defence. That's part of the problems we have had this year. If we are able to do the impossible and get Hurley to Collingwood Brown still has his place in the side because Hurley is a genuine swing man who can play back or forward.
The big disappointment this year has been Frost. Instead of coming on, he has gone backwards. I would either delist or trade him to Essendon to get back Hartley now that Hartley has had a taste of AFL footy.
jackcass Cancer

PostPosted: Wed Aug 17, 2016 11:13 am

Oh beaut, it's time for 1 of our at least bi-weekly regurgitated list hypotheticals.

Hasn't Blair's contract just been extended?
MatthewBoydFanClub 

PostPosted: Wed Aug 17, 2016 11:37 am

jackcass wrote:
Oh beaut, it's time for 1 of our at least bi-weekly regurgitated list hypotheticals.

Thought he and White had their contracts extended at the same time a few weeks ago. Now they list Blair as a free agent which is a bit strange?!
thompsoc 

PostPosted: Wed Aug 17, 2016 11:45 am

jackcass wrote:

In the australian newspaper today they had him as a free agent.
And Mr Nix Jackcass.
When was the last time you put up a new topic???

Last edited by thompsoc on Wed Aug 17, 2016 11:50 am; edited 2 times in total
thompsoc 

PostPosted: Wed Aug 17, 2016 11:48 am

And Inxs88 that was a really good and well researched post.
Well done.
My question is do you really believe that there is any interest what so ever in Blair?

3rd degree Aries

PostPosted: Wed Aug 17, 2016 1:24 pm

BucksIsFutureCoach wrote:
Furthermore on Brown, he was elected to the leadership group at the start of the year. For the sake of continuity he needs to stay on the list into next year. We don't have any other leaders in defence. That's part of the problems we have had this year. If we are able to do the impossible and get Hurley to Collingwood Brown still has his place in the side because Hurley is a genuine swing man who can play back or forward.
The big disappointment this year has been Frost. Instead of coming on, he has gone backwards. I would either delist or trade him to Essendon to get back Hartley now that Hartley has had a taste of AFL footy.

a fair point I had a lot of hope for the Albino , but his game against Port was shocking.

www.facebook/the hybernators
inxs88 

PostPosted: Wed Aug 17, 2016 1:25 pm

thompsoc wrote:
And Inxs88 that was a really good and well researched post.
Well done.
My question is do you really believe that there is any interest what so ever in Blair?

Cheers Thompsoc. Do know the Eagles have had a dearth of small forwards hence their interest in Ballantyne and as mooted earlier in the year Blair. Also have a funny feeling that for the right price, Eade at Gold Coast would love more "heart and soul citizens" which Blair's "brand" seems to be.

PS;

Yeah would be excited to see a Jackcass post but are getting the feeling he is not a real real person but "Hal's illegitimate computer love child"

3rd degree Aries

PostPosted: Wed Aug 17, 2016 1:40 pm

Isnt Jack Gunston an " Adam Oxley" type??

www.facebook/the hybernators
inxs88 

PostPosted: Wed Aug 17, 2016 1:44 pm

3rd degree wrote:

Isnt Jack Gunston an " Adam Oxley" type??

I'd take 30 a year from Adam Very Happy

RudeBoy 

PostPosted: Wed Aug 17, 2016 1:50 pm

What do we need?

A full back

Another key marking forward

A small crumbing forward.

Who can we trade out to help get them?

Witts
Cloke
Williams

Non-negotiables

We must draft Brown and Daicos

Possibilities

I'm not completely sold on Hurley, but reckon Sam Reid could be a great pick up if we were confident about his physical shape.

Keeffe may surprise us and fill a key defensive position, even enabling Ben Reid to be switched up forward.

Frost may prove he's better than he's shown this year.

Broomhead may finally knuckle down and do the hard work over the pre-season to emerge as the small crumbing forward we desperately need.
Lazza 

PostPosted: Wed Aug 17, 2016 2:12 pm

Exactly what we need at Nick's - yet another bloody new topic based purely on speculation..... Rolling Eyes How about we wait to discuss reality based on facts for a change? Shocked

Talking about speculation, it reminds me of the old joke based on the billboard in Hawthorn years ago that said "What will you do if Jesus came to Hawthorn?". Some wag wrote "move Peter Hudson to Centre half forward"...... Razz Twisted Evil

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index -> General Discussion All times are GMT + 11 Hours

Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2   

Jump to: