Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index
 The RulesThe Rules FAQFAQ
   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   CalendarCalendar   SearchSearch 

What can we learn from finals teams

Users browsing this topic:0 Registered, 0 Hidden and 0 Guests
Registered Users: None

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index -> General Discussion

Goto page 1, 2  Next
View previous topic :: View next topic  
qldmagpie67 

PostPosted: Mon Sep 12, 2016 9:57 am
Post subject: What can we learn from finals teamsReply with quote

I've actually watched with some interest the finals unravel so far and looked at the styles and plans that appear to be successful.
Thus far the teams who have applied the most pressure and made the most tackles have been winners.
The Bulldogs and Giants showed relentless pressure will undo any side
Also the teams that run and carry and take the game on more are being more successful. Is this to do with the opposition or more so that it isn't giving sides defences time to settle ?
Also just over 60% of all goals scored have been by hybrid types, crumbing forwards and midfielders. Yes a few power forwards have kicked some but the vast majority have been by non KPF
If this is the standard that will make you successful then maybe we have a chance to a finals side in 2017
We have developed a run and carry style that has been developing well since the bye and when we really commit to it and take the game on we have opened up the opposition consistently.
We have the hybrid type forwards and if they can become more consistent then our scoring potential increases markedly.
Our mids have shown they can kick goals they need to probably find 6-10 goals a game between the weekly for us to be winning games. It's possible especially if Treloar DeGoey Sidey Greenwood Aish and Crisp can stay fit. Also Adams Pendles Wills Phillips Varcoe aren't slouches in front of goal.
Moore we all know is going to be a star but he's going to need help. So a White Howe Reid or whoever else we play as the tall forward options must either clear space for Moore to be one on one or get deep and be dangerous themselves.
Fasalo Elliott Howe (any combination of 2) need to find 35+ goals each
I think we need to show daring coming out of defence which means we need to clean up our disposal drastically. We need to find that outlet who can then link with the running midfield and get the ball moving forward quickly.
One constant over all games in the finals for the majority of time slow ball movement doesn't get the job done consistently.
The last factor is the defensive pressure applied inside your attacking 50. It has to be manic and consistent at all times. Getting goals from turnovers is a huge momentum builder and also the more work defenders have to do the more mistakes they are inclined to make.
I would rather see us losing each games by backing ourselves and being courageous and sticking to a attacking game plan than dick around with the ball and eventually turn it over 70m from goal and be back under pressure.
I wonder how a young Brown or Daicos may add some real crumbing skills and defensive pressure in our forward 50
Darkstranger 

PostPosted: Mon Sep 12, 2016 11:57 am
Post subject: Reply with quote

What I learnt is the following:

Both teams in the Prelim (GWS & Geel) were belted by Collingwood.

Bulldogs who played the game of their life should have lost twice to us. Hawthorn who probably should have won lost to a team that we belted and should have also lost to us as well...

So, I reckon with a bit of tweaking we could challenge next year.

Lesson over.

jackcass Cancer

PostPosted: Mon Sep 12, 2016 12:44 pm

Darkstranger wrote:

Bulldogs who played the game of their life should have lost twice to us. Hawthorn who probably should have won lost to a team that we belted and should have also lost to us as well...

Lesson over.

Weren't all the teams we beat on increased training loads?
piedys Taurus

Heeeeeeere's Dyso!!!

PostPosted: Mon Sep 12, 2016 1:49 pm

Darkstranger wrote:

Lesson over.

Agreed. And if we could only stop losing to all those shit teams that didn't make the eight, that would probably go a long way towards enhancing our finals prospects in 2017.

BazBoy 

PostPosted: Mon Sep 12, 2016 2:31 pm

Effectively 5 minutes into 2016 we lost a 30 to 40 + forward when Swannie went down as the plan talked of was him lurking like an Eddie Betts

With his huge tank and abilty gone we started 30 to 40 goals down

This is pure oinion but not altogether out of the question

RudeBoy 

PostPosted: Mon Sep 12, 2016 2:33 pm
Post subject: Re: What can we learn from finals teamsReply with quote

qldmagpie67 wrote:
I've actually watched with some interest the finals unravel so far and looked at the styles and plans that appear to be successful.
Thus far the teams who have applied the most pressure and made the most tackles have been winners.
The Bulldogs and Giants showed relentless pressure will undo any side
Also the teams that run and carry and take the game on more are being more successful. Is this to do with the opposition or more so that it isn't giving sides defences time to settle ?
Also just over 60% of all goals scored have been by hybrid types, crumbing forwards and midfielders. Yes a few power forwards have kicked some but the vast majority have been by non KPF
If this is the standard that will make you successful then maybe we have a chance to a finals side in 2017
We have developed a run and carry style that has been developing well since the bye and when we really commit to it and take the game on we have opened up the opposition consistently.
We have the hybrid type forwards and if they can become more consistent then our scoring potential increases markedly.
Our mids have shown they can kick goals they need to probably find 6-10 goals a game between the weekly for us to be winning games. It's possible especially if Treloar DeGoey Sidey Greenwood Aish and Crisp can stay fit. Also Adams Pendles Wills Phillips Varcoe aren't slouches in front of goal.
Moore we all know is going to be a star but he's going to need help. So a White Howe Reid or whoever else we play as the tall forward options must either clear space for Moore to be one on one or get deep and be dangerous themselves.
Fasalo Elliott Howe (any combination of 2) need to find 35+ goals each
I think we need to show daring coming out of defence which means we need to clean up our disposal drastically. We need to find that outlet who can then link with the running midfield and get the ball moving forward quickly.
One constant over all games in the finals for the majority of time slow ball movement doesn't get the job done consistently.
The last factor is the defensive pressure applied inside your attacking 50. It has to be manic and consistent at all times. Getting goals from turnovers is a huge momentum builder and also the more work defenders have to do the more mistakes they are inclined to make.
I would rather see us losing each games by backing ourselves and being courageous and sticking to a attacking game plan than dick around with the ball and eventually turn it over 70m from goal and be back under pressure.
I wonder how a young Brown or Daicos may add some real crumbing skills and defensive pressure in our forward 50

We definitely play a similar hard tackling and run and carry game as the winners you mentioned. We also beat the Cats, Giants and should have beaten the Dogs and Hawks, which suggests we are not that far off being a serious contender. What we need, imo, which the Giants and Dogs have plenty of, is a bit more genuine leg speed through the middle. As it stands, really only Varcoe and Treloar have genuine pace, though Adams is reasonably quick. Pendles, Sidey, Crisp, De Goey and Wills all lack pace. That's why it may be worth a punt on a player like Wells to give us that extra bit of outside pace.
piedys Taurus

Heeeeeeere's Dyso!!!

PostPosted: Mon Sep 12, 2016 2:37 pm

barrybc41 wrote:
Effectively 5 minutes into 2016 we lost a 30 to 40 + forward when Swannie went down as the plan talked of was him lurking like an Eddie Betts

With his huge tank and abilty gone we started 30 to 40 goals down

This is pure oinion but not altogether out of the question

Baz, a little off topic perhaps, but yes his loss effectively cost us a midfield rotation, and countless goals, as well as voiding the plan to make him a permanent forward once his body started to slow down, in 2017 onwards.

I thought the wear and tear on Pendles, Adams and Treloar due to Swan's absence was telling at several stages throughout 2016.

Just hoping the troops can cover his loss in 2017.

melliot 

PostPosted: Mon Sep 12, 2016 2:57 pm

I was impressed with GWS the most. Their outside speed killed the Swans. I think GWS may win it, as inexperienced as they are. It is a question of who they meet on GF day. They have beaten Swans, Hawks and Cats. They can beat the best and it's a matter of if they play their best.

I think (and hope!) they'll smash the Hawks in Sydney. Their speed will cut them to ribbons and also have the tall forwards and a dominating Ruckman to worry them.

Swans look slow in comparison. I can't understand why they didn't clear the F50 and drop Buddy in there after half time. If the game didn't change trend GWS was always going to win. They lacked an ability to score or even look dangerous in the f50.

Hawks and Cats was a grinding game. Neither side were overly impressive IMO. Very contrasting styles.

Cats win contested ball and kick long to a contest often. I thought they lacked overlap run through the middle. To beat the Cats you must hit up the short leading forward around the 40m-70m mark or run it through this area. Their defense is all setup around dropping back for the long kick into the F50. Bombing into the f50 against the Cats will see it hard for you to score.

Hawks continuously get smashed at contested ball. They rely on keeping the ball themselves (which they do an awesome job at). They defend with their zone so well. Make you kick up the line, pick it off and then hold onto the ball and rarely give it up. They make very few unforced errors with the ball. They may not play well, but still be in the game by being surgical/methodical with the ball. Can now be exposed by an opposition good ruckman, outside speed, and good tall forwards. Hawks don't have good tall forwards now. their small forwards do all the damage. Need good small defenders against them to hold Brust, Cyril, Poppy, and Gunston.

Dogs were awesome. Appeared an effort based win to me. Out worked (tackled/ran/defended) the WCE. Will have to bring that each week to go further. But I think WCE were rattled, as much as Dogs played well. Hope they smash the Hawks, but reckon Hawks will win. They don't have a good ruckman, or tall forwards to expose the Hawks deficiencies.

Crows were flat track bullies. There is a level difference between 8th and 7th I think. Their scoring power will be held up by the Swans on the SCG (shoe box ground). Swans are wounded and exposed. If the Crows can get over the Swans they are a chance on the bigger MCG. But think the Swans will defend too well.
BazBoy 

PostPosted: Mon Sep 12, 2016 3:04 pm

Learnt by observing a quality Key forward who the
media say not as pertenant in modern footy

Well Jeremery Cameron turned the game on its head with that clutch of goals

I learnt we should even if a glimmer of chance grab him (guess unlikely) but him and Moore on the park
mate

piedys Taurus

Heeeeeeere's Dyso!!!

PostPosted: Mon Sep 12, 2016 3:08 pm

barrybc41 wrote:
Learnt by observing a quality Key forward who the
media say not as pertenant in modern footy

Well Jeremy Cameron turned the game on its head with that clutch of goals

And that insane tackle on Rowan, which effectively broke Sydney.
A real finals psychological blow.

qldmagpie67 

PostPosted: Mon Sep 12, 2016 3:23 pm

Some really good points raised here even by me ole mate Dyso.
For mine losing Elliott for the season before a balls bounced and Swan within a couple minutes really set us back more than we may realised at the time. Between them one would have assumed there was around 50-60 goals for the season so that was a big lose. Coupled with losing Ramsay & Scharenberg who I thought would have been a couple of mainstays in the back half and add skill to the side. This didn't allow us to use Varcoe as a damaging runner through the middle or the link up player going forward.
It wasn't the amount of injuries more so who was injured and the length of them.
I've got high hopes for 2017 based on our weekly efforts from the bye onwards. Young teams are always going to have some up and down games and we had a couple were we didn't get out head into them until it was nearly to late but for the most part we were competitive and took a few scalps and should have had the Dogs and Hawks on our scalp ledger (those 2 more wins might have changed our whole outlook on 2016)
We need to really work hard on our disposal and get that overall effiency rate up to the high 70's % as a minimum
I think Treloar will better with a full preseason, Pendles played busted for long parts of the season and will be better for the rest, Adams missed matches, Crisp was only fair, DeGoey started slow but come good towards the back half of the year, Aish showed enough in the second half of the year to give me real hope he's going to be very good, Moore just started to really shine from the bye onwards and was starting to really impose himself on games, grundy' second half of the year was awesome, Smith didn't do much wrong all year, Maynard showed he can be very useful, Wills & Phillips did nothing to suggest they couldn't be afl standard footballers, White had his best year for the club and Howe rally looked at home in defence and finally Reid showed why he we a AA player prior to his injury.
Lots to like going forward just need some better skills and maybe some extra dash through the middle and we can be around that top 8 in 2017
piedys Taurus

Heeeeeeere's Dyso!!!

PostPosted: Mon Sep 12, 2016 3:35 pm

qldmagpie67 wrote:
Some really good points raised here even by me ole mate Dyso.

Lots to like going forward just need some better skills and maybe some extra dash through the middle and we can be around that top 8 in 2017

What's that old saying? If you put enough monkeys in front of enough typewriters, with enough paper, for long enough, that one of the simians will eventually churn out War & Peace? Shocked

As i've said in another thread, most of the players on our list will have to improve their disposal standard by 5-10% over this preseason, if we are going to be serious about challenging for the final eight in 2017.

Hopefully some free-agents might fall our way, as we have very limited trade currency in the upcoming period, as things stand, after selling the farm to secure both Treloar and Aish last year...

Lazza 

PostPosted: Mon Sep 12, 2016 3:40 pm

piedys wrote:
Hopefully some free-agents might fall our way, as we have very limited trade currency in the upcoming period, as things stand, after selling the farm to secure both Treloar and Aish last year...

Sometimes in astute business decisions, you do need to sell the farm for long term financial success brother piedy's. Twisted Evil Razz
Believe me, we are on the right track for sustained success brother.

piedys Taurus

Heeeeeeere's Dyso!!!

PostPosted: Mon Sep 12, 2016 3:43 pm

Lazza wrote:
piedys wrote:

Sometimes in astute business decisions, you do need to sell the farm for long term financial success brother piedy's. Twisted Evil Razz
Believe me, we are on the right track for sustained success brother.

Hope you are right broLaz, another "free September" would be melt-down city... Sad

69 years a MAGPIE Libra

PostPosted: Mon Sep 12, 2016 4:29 pm

Aside from the football on the park, I found it interesting that Burgoyne has come out in the papers today asking for Michell to be protected. Highly rated fair footballer supporting a serial sniper. I'm surprised he didn't ask for less umpire scrutiny for Hodge and co. Hawks looking for the edge again?
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index -> General Discussion All times are GMT + 11 Hours

Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2   

Jump to: