Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index
 The RulesThe Rules FAQFAQ
   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   CalendarCalendar   SearchSearch 

Dane Swan retires (all tributes, thanks)

Users browsing this topic:0 Registered, 0 Hidden and 0 Guests
Registered Users: None

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index -> General Discussion

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 10, 11, 12, 13, 14  Next
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Presti35 Virgo

Dick Lee for Legend Status

PostPosted: Wed Aug 24, 2016 6:56 am
Post subject: Reply with quote

Open this and mute the sound: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RhasRFyKc2M

Then open this (https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=egY8rUpxqcE) and watch the first link.

If you start them in sync, it kind of matches up Dark Side Of The Moon/Wizard of Oz style. Razz Razz Razz

What'sinaname Libra

PostPosted: Wed Aug 24, 2016 8:11 am

blackandwhite4life wrote:
Been said already, but it really now does feel like the end of an era.

I doubt there's been a more loved Collingwood player in my lifetime.

He stands amongst the all time greats.

It was great to listen to Mick talking again today, it just felt like yesterday, and for me the animosity i felt towards him after his Carlton episode is all gone now.

I hope someone from the current generation can pick up the baton from Swanny, and bring some smiles, fun, toughness and wins back to Pie land.

Sadly, that won't happen. Buckley would not put up with someone like Dane Swan, especially the 2003 - 2006 Swanny. We are very fortunate / lucky that Malthouse didn't delist him early on.
Daz 

PostPosted: Wed Aug 24, 2016 8:44 am

Top player
Top bloke
love ya swanny
MatthewBoydFanClub 

PostPosted: Wed Aug 24, 2016 9:14 am

What'sinaname wrote:

It was great to listen to Mick talking again today, it just felt like yesterday, and for me the animosity i felt towards him after his Carlton episode is all gone now.

I hope someone from the current generation can pick up the baton from Swanny, and bring some smiles, fun, toughness and wins back to Pie land.

Sadly, that won't happen. Buckley would not put up with someone like Dane Swan, especially the 2003 - 2006 Swanny. We are very fortunate / lucky that Malthouse didn't delist him early on.

This is the Swanny tributes thread. You need the Back Buckley or Sack Buckley thread.
Haff Capricorn

PostPosted: Wed Aug 24, 2016 9:20 am

Shattered. thanks for the memories Swanny!
WarrenerraW 

PostPosted: Wed Aug 24, 2016 9:29 am

Not much more you can say that's already been said but Swanny retires as one of the greatest Collingwood players to have ever played and one of the best players the game has ever seen. All the best Swanny.
What'sinaname Libra

PostPosted: Wed Aug 24, 2016 9:31 am

BucksIsFutureCoach wrote:
What'sinaname wrote:

This is the Swanny tributes thread. You need the Back Buckley or Sack Buckley thread.

I'm not having a go at Buckley here. I'm saying that we were very lucky MM didn't delist Swan in the early years. I don't think Buckley (and probably 17 other coaches) would persist with a player like Swanny these days.
3rd degree Aries

PostPosted: Wed Aug 24, 2016 10:18 am

What'sinaname wrote:
BucksIsFutureCoach wrote:
What'sinaname wrote:

I'm not having a go at Buckley here. I'm saying that we were very lucky MM didn't delist Swan in the early years. I don't think Buckley (and probably 17 other coaches) would persist with a player like Swanny these days.

Ok so how about writing a tribute than having a tiff??

www.facebook/the hybernators
qldmagpie67 

PostPosted: Wed Aug 24, 2016 10:29 am

Eddie was on 360 last night as guest co host and they had Swanny retirement as the big story of the day.
Eddie said there were times early on when they had doubts. He said you know when your phone rings at 2am they ain't calling to tell you you've won the lotto !
He said Swanny had some issues early on but he could never question his desire
He said his father played a huge part in getting him on track in the early days when he could have toppled off the rails completely
Eddie said Dane greatest asset was he loyalty and trust in his mates. He said his background made him tough more than people could ever imagine
Eddie said when the book comes out we will see the X-rays and he said when you see them you will wonder how he ever walked again let alone thought of playing footy.
Gerard asked about MM being there and said if one player could unite Buckley and Malthouse it was Dane. Eddie laughed and said last week I rang Mick and asked would he attend for Dane without a seconds hesitation he said yes. He shook my hand and Bucks hand with meaning and thanked us for allowing him to be part of this. He said that's what makes Swanny great he just transcended all levels of people
A true champ and listening to Eddie wax lyrical about Swanny smiling whilst he did showed how much Eddie and the club thought of him.
Pies4shaw Leo

pies4shaw

PostPosted: Wed Aug 24, 2016 11:25 am

By way of tribute, I'm reposting my 4 August 2016 post in from another thread:

Pies4shaw wrote:
This time last year, the Great Dane was training off the back of a 33 disposal game against the Welfare and a 36 disposal, 2 Brownlow vote game against Melbourne and was preparing for his most recent 3 Brownlow vote game - a 22 kick, 10 mark, 19 handball (total of 41 disposals), 3 goal, 3 tackle, 4 inside 50, 6 clearance, 12 contested possession game against Carlton. As it happened, Swanny's 3 goals was the precise winning margin (16.9 to 13.9).

I was thinking about Dane's great contribution to Collingwood after re-watching his superb games against Footscray and Geelong in the 2010 finals in the last day or so.

Apart from being (presently - Pies4Shaw says, optimistically) two games behind Buckley in 8th place on the all-time Collingwood games list, with 258, Dane has a remarkable statistical record for the Pies, including the following:

Most disposals in a season (820 at an average of 31.54) - in the 2010 premiership year. Trailing behind in his wake in 2nd and 3rd places, respectively, are - wait for it - Dane Swan and someone called Dane Swan (769 in 2009 and 260 in 2011). He has a total of 5 of the 10-top "most disposal" seasons at Collingwood (725 in 2012 and 717 in 2013). Even though Swanny was in second place in 2012, he had the highest average disposals per game in that season (34.52 disposals per game in 21 games). To put that in context, Wayne Richardson averaged 32.83 disposals per game in 1971 but no other Collingwood player has been close (Beams won the Copeland in that 2012 year with an average of 30.88 per game). The games Swanny missed in 2012 included the 97-point flogging of the Gold Coast, the 26 point win over Adelaide (in which Beams, Sidebottom and Pendlebury got the Brownlow votes, 96 disposals and 5 of Collingwood's 10 goals between them) and the round 20 and 21 games (Swans and North).

Most kicks in a season over the last 25 years: 505 in 2010 and 472 in 2011. His 2009, 2012 and 2013 seasons round out the Collingwood top 20 since 1965.

He has 4 of Collingwood's top 20 records for most marks in a season. His best of 187 (5th on the Collingwood table) was in 2007. Only Tarrant, Lockyer and Cloke (twice) have taken more marks in a season than Swanny.

He has 6 of the top 20 records for most Collingwood contested possessions in a season, sitting in second and third place behind only Scott Pendlebury. His best was 311 contested possessions (2010).

Unsurprisingly, Swanny holds the top 2 (and 5 of the top 6) places in the Collingwood list of most uncontested possessions in a season. His best was 487 in 2009.

Although the rest of the competition spent the year chasing Swanny, he also laid 123 tackles in 2010 (equal 6th for Collingwood all-time - interestingly, he was only 4th for Collingwood that year, behind the greatest Collingwood tackler of all - Luke Ball, with 155, Pendles with 144 and Possum Toovey with 124).

He has 4 of the top 10 Collingwood clearance records per season (2010, 2011, 2012 and 2015). He has the top 2 spots in that list (147 and 141 clearances, respectively, in 2011 and 2010).

He has 4 of the top 10 Collingwood inside 50 records per season (2009, 2010, 2011 and 2013). He has been bettered only by Nathan Buckley and, apart from Swanny, only Buckley (4 times) and Travis Cloke (twice) have an inside 50 season record in Collingwood's top 10.

He has the record for most Collingwood inside 50s in a game (15 against St Kilda in 2015).

He has 4 of the top 20 places for most Collingwood clearances in a game. His best is 13 (twice). One of those was in a 49 disposal, 2 goal game against Hawthorn in 2012 - remarkably (because Collingwood lost), he only received 2 Brownlow votes for it.

He has 8 of the top 20 places for most Collingwood contested possessions in a game.

He has 7 of the top 20 places for most Collingwood uncontested possessions in a game.

He has 1 the top 20 places for most Collingwood marks inside 50 in a game (his best is 8 - the Collingwood best is 9).

Dane Swan - future Collingwood Hall of Fame member and all-time AFL great.
Skids Cancer

Quitting drinking will be one of the best choices you make in your life.

PostPosted: Wed Aug 24, 2016 12:07 pm

Pies4shaw wrote:
By way of tribute, I'm reposting my 4 August 2016 post in from another thread:

Twice Smile Laughing

An absolute legend.
Will always remember sitting at a small function with him over here in Perth; Having a beer, a chicken parmy and a laugh talking about our tats.

Will be a megastar in the media!

dillo_09 Cancer

PostPosted: Wed Aug 24, 2016 12:46 pm

Dear Dane Swan,

Thank you.

Mark Dillon
Member # 101738
Piesnchess 

piesnchess

PostPosted: Wed Aug 24, 2016 3:57 pm

Some smart computer buff should do that famous Hitler film clip, the one from Downfall, with Hitler finding out Swannie has retired, and nobody has told him. !

Chess and Vodka are born brothers. - Russian proverb.
RudeBoy 

PostPosted: Wed Aug 24, 2016 5:47 pm

He was not just a champion player - one of the best ever - but he was working class through and through. From Reservoir, his Dad, Billy Swan, was a wharfie and former champion player for Williamstown. Fans loved him because he was ‘one of them’ and never pretended to be anything than what he was - a loyal knockabout bloke, who happened to be f*cking good at football.

Sadly, the game has become so sanitised and controlled that his like are fast disappearing from the game. I salute you Swanny. Thanks for the memories.
kickit2me Taurus

PostPosted: Wed Aug 24, 2016 7:42 pm

I never got to see the early years of Swanny (was almost impossible to watch the footy 15 years ago if living overseas) but once I found a local watering hole that broadcasted games I became a fan, and within a few weeks he'd become my favorite player. Just something about the way he went about it.

I still remember a phone call to my old man back in 2007 when the young Pies were on the up (around the time of ANZAC Day and Heath Shaws' "we're going places" speech) and mentioning how I liked Swanny, his laconic style and his ball-winning abilities. It was a nothing phone call, but I still remember it because of Swanny.

What I think I'll miss the most though is something I never saw. Dane Swan spending a season as a forward running amok. A 50 goal season. It would have been the icing on a very impressive cake.

I'll miss ya mate.

Last edited by kickit2me on Wed Aug 24, 2016 8:05 pm; edited 1 time in total
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index -> General Discussion All times are GMT + 11 Hours

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 10, 11, 12, 13, 14  Next
Page 11 of 14   

Jump to: