Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index
 The RulesThe Rules FAQFAQ
   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   CalendarCalendar   SearchSearch 

Round 19 - Collingwood vs Port Melbourne at Victoria Park

Users browsing this topic:0 Registered, 0 Hidden and 0 Guests
Registered Users: None

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index -> The VFL Magpies

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next
View previous topic :: View next topic  
3rd degree Aries

PostPosted: Sat Aug 13, 2016 4:50 pm
Post subject: Reply with quote

Gault best on ground as expected

www.facebook/the hybernators
John Wren Virgo

"Look after the game. It means so much to so many."

PostPosted: Sat Aug 13, 2016 5:33 pm

neil wrote:
So Cloke did well
How about the other players? Anyone at the game care/able to give a report?

thought borthwick, witts and smith were strong contributors. cloke was ok without being outstanding.

Pies4shaw Leo

pies4shaw

PostPosted: Sat Aug 13, 2016 5:39 pm

That's the official line on the guy who won the game off his own boot, is it, JW? He was so far better than any other player on the field for either team in the second half that it wasn't even a contest.
John Wren Virgo

PostPosted: Sat Aug 13, 2016 5:45 pm

^ nah, my unofficial observation.
MagpieBat 

PostPosted: Sat Aug 13, 2016 5:46 pm

I don't play this card all that often (if ever), but if you didn't have a tear in your eye while watching Clokey make that last stand on the sacred field of Victoria Park, then fair dinkum, you have no soul...
Pies4shaw Leo

pies4shaw

PostPosted: Sat Aug 13, 2016 5:48 pm

Borthwick was our best mid. Pendlebury played very well down back. Of the senior players, Gault has retired (but hasn't yet told anyone formally), Frost was hard at it but lacked finesse, Williams tried to break the lines and spent the day running into trouble, Witts was good (but made a few unforgivable errors, including dropping a simple chest mark near goal in the last quarter when the game was still in the balance. Caff is slow but showed class with his disposal a few times. Toovey looks finished but tried hard, as he has tried hard every game for a decade. Goodyear (he's number 27, isn't he?) didn't really catch the eye.

For senior selection, you probably couldn't look beyond Cloke and Witts for next week, if you were selecting the team for now, rather than building for 2017.
MagpieBat 

PostPosted: Sat Aug 13, 2016 5:49 pm

Quote:
Collingwood 12.12 (84)
Port Melbourne 10.8 (6Cool

Goals - Collingwood: Cloke 5, Witts 2, Moloney 2, Collopy 2, Indovino
Port Melbourne: Cain 3, Dwyer 2, Haretuku, Lisle, Golby, Dickson, Hobbs

Best - Collingwood: Macaffer, Cloke, Borthwick, Williams, Frost, M.Smith
Port Melbourne: Crocker, Mihocek, Van Unen, Cook, Cain, Mascitti

http://www.collingwoodfc.com.au/news/2016-08-13/cloke-kicks-five-in-vfl-win

Pies4shaw Leo

pies4shaw

PostPosted: Sat Aug 13, 2016 5:53 pm

MagpieBat wrote:
I don't play this card all that often (if ever), but if you didn't have a tear in your eye while watching Clokey make that last stand on the sacred field of Victoria Park, then fair dinkum, you have no soul...

I do think that the way he backs up in the VFL is a huge credit to him. No dummy spit, just desperate effort. It may not be enough to get him another senior game but he just did everything he could for the team. Late in the game, with the 'Pies under siege and struggling to get it out of defence, he ran 100 yards to give the kick-to target on wing/half back. He is an ornament to the jumper and it's a shame that some of his detractors didn't turn up to see it.
MagpieBat 

PostPosted: Sat Aug 13, 2016 5:59 pm

Doubt they'll even watch the replay either...
MagpieBat 

PostPosted: Sat Aug 13, 2016 6:01 pm

And speaking of replays...

http://www.collingwoodfc.com.au/video/2016-08-13/vfl-r19-pies-v-boroughs-1st-quarter

http://www.collingwoodfc.com.au/video/2016-08-13/vfl-r19-pies-v-boroughs-2nd-quarter

http://www.collingwoodfc.com.au/video/2016-08-13/vfl-r19-pies-v-boroughs-3rd-quarter

http://www.collingwoodfc.com.au/video/2016-08-13/vfl-r19-pies-v-boroughs-4th-quarter

Enjoy!

Donny Aries

Formerly known as MAGFAN8.

PostPosted: Sat Aug 13, 2016 7:57 pm

MB, what's the go with this: On the Pies' website, after Clokey's rap, it says Witts had a 'virtuoso performance' and yet he didn't make their best players list ??

"BEST

Collingwood: Macaffer, Cloke, Borthwick, Williams, Frost, M.Smith"

It's a game. Enjoy it. Very Happy
Kosh 

PostPosted: Sat Aug 13, 2016 8:18 pm

Pies4shaw wrote:
MagpieBat wrote:

I do think that the way he backs up in the VFL is a huge credit to him. No dummy spit, just desperate effort. It may not be enough to get him another senior game but he just did everything he could for the team. Late in the game, with the 'Pies under siege and struggling to get it out of defence, he ran 100 yards to give the kick-to target on wing/half back. He is an ornament to the jumper and it's a shame that some of his detractors didn't turn up to see it.

I couldn't agree more with the Bat & P4S. Watching the great man out there today was a joy. He was the dominant force on the ground and despite some god awful delivery just showed why he is so respected and loved (by some of us).

On balance that was a tremendous win. It was hard to see from the members' wing but P4S advised that there was a 4 goal wind to the Yarra Falls end. This perhaps explains the dreadful over use of handball in the second quarter. Being able to outscore the Borough significantly in the last quarter was a great effort.

No, Sack, Phillips, Captain Jack, or Ox and still they won. Pendles, Borthwick, Moloney were all good. I thought the Ferg had been killed at one stage as he was poleaxed on the outer wing, but he got back up and kept going.

Witts had one of those games where a player just owns any space he wants to own, but he couldn't quite finish it off. 2 Goals was a good return but he could have killed the game in the last quarter and didn't quite get the job done. I really hope to keep him on the list next year. As good as Reg Grundy is, he is just one person and we are one injury away from having no ruckman at all. My own view is that Witts is the best tap ruckman at the club but just can't compete with Reg in general play.

I am looking forward to the Finals. I haven't been able to go much this year but as I have been saying for a few years, I get much more pleasure from watching the scoobs than the firsts. On another note, jeez i miss Sam Dwyer. He got a few against us today. Very, very good footballer.
1892_ 

PostPosted: Sat Aug 13, 2016 9:21 pm

Once again the club bests are questionable. I had Witts clear bog across the 4 quarters today with Cloke huge in the second half. Pendlebury along with Frost were important to our win and Williams had a good last quarter.
MagpieBat 

PostPosted: Sun Aug 14, 2016 2:58 am

Donny wrote:
MB, what's the go with this: On the Pies' website, after Clokey's rap, it says Witts had a 'virtuoso performance' and yet he didn't make their best players list ??

"BEST

Collingwood: Macaffer, Cloke, Borthwick, Williams, Frost, M.Smith"

It's a phenomenon that those of us who watch the VFL closely are all too familiar with, Donny. Some have made reference to chimps on typewriters. Others have described it as participant ribbon awarding. And still some holdouts have called it the One True Word. Quite simply, the VFL bests have a long history of throwing up results that are, in the opinion of many, ones that go against the grain.

It's also not uncommon to simply get one's VFL recap from the official website and come away thinking that we have the next Len Thompson or Peter Daicos or Scott Pendlebury bubbling away in the magoos. For some reason, no one plays a poor game in the eyes of collingwoodfc.com.au...

And on that score, I plead guilty. Mucked up a few scores during the call, abbreviated a couple of others in commentary, for which I apologise most sincerely. Four hours sleep and all...

John Wren Virgo

PostPosted: Sun Aug 14, 2016 9:34 am

^ mb, truth be told, names get drawn from a hat. a punter at the after match function gets to select the names. if no one applauds when a name gets called out they select a new name. sometimes this can go on for hours with redraw after redraw. i thought everyone knew this. Rolling Eyes Wink Laughing
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index -> The VFL Magpies All times are GMT + 11 Hours

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next
Page 7 of 8   

Jump to: