Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index
 The RulesThe Rules FAQFAQ
   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   CalendarCalendar   SearchSearch 

Brenton Sanderson appointed as Bucks new right hand man?

Users browsing this topic:0 Registered, 0 Hidden and 0 Guests
Registered Users: None

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index -> General Discussion

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next
View previous topic :: View next topic  
MatthewBoydFanClub 

PostPosted: Tue Aug 09, 2016 9:10 am
Post subject: Reply with quote

MagpieBat wrote:
It's about as valid as assuming that being someone's best mate somehow enhances one's coaching ability.

So, what are we doing here again...?

Being one's best mate neither qualifies you, or disqualies for the job. It's more about the mindset and background qualifications needed to compliment the strengths and weaknesses of the senior coach that are needed here. If Sanderson is to replace Harvey he comes from a different part of the playing field (defensive back) to Buckley (attacking, hard working mid) and so provides another prospective to the coaching group. Sanderson was a successful assistant coach at Geelong and succeeded in his first couple of years in the senior job at Adelaide until he self imploded and was sacked. So I don't see anything in his CV that should disqualify for the job at Collingwood.
I have a couple of close mates who I argue, disagree and fight with all the time. But if I was running a company, they would be the first two I would hire. You need to apply the same logic to running a football club.
Medders85 

PostPosted: Tue Aug 09, 2016 9:11 am

I for one am happy (if true) that we are targeting Sanderson as he has done a variety of coaching at different clubs and has coached at the top level. I hope it doesn't stop there but. All assistants need to go, and be replaced for next season. If we have another season like the last three Bucks goes next season....
MatthewBoydFanClub 

PostPosted: Tue Aug 09, 2016 9:20 am

Medders85 wrote:
I for one am happy (if true) that we are targeting Sanderson as he has done a variety of coaching at different clubs and has coached at the top level. I hope it doesn't stop there but. All assistants need to go, and be replaced for next season. If we have another season like the last three Bucks goes next season....

I think the one who needs to stay is Hart, who has worked wonders having to rework a backline that has been hammered by injuries and indecision (playing Reid forward or back?). Losing Hart would be like losing Brad Scott, Richardson and Beveridge.
Medders85 

PostPosted: Tue Aug 09, 2016 9:21 am

BucksIsFutureCoach wrote:
Medders85 wrote:

I think the one who needs to stay is Hart, who has worked wonders having to rework a backline that has been hammered by injuries and indecision (playing Reid forward or back?). Losing Hart would be like losing Brad Scott, Richardson and Beveridge.

And also at times a backline who has been under siege by quick ball coming in due to lack of midfield pressure.

WhyPhilWhy? 

WhyPhilWhy?

PostPosted: Tue Aug 09, 2016 9:53 am

Dave The Man wrote:
...at least Sando has had a Descent Run as a Coach and been to a Few Clubs

Very astute observation Dave.
BazBoy 

PostPosted: Tue Aug 09, 2016 9:55 am

Which (midfield) was the exit mans job
qldmagpie67 

PostPosted: Tue Aug 09, 2016 10:14 am

I actually like this appointment his friendship with Buckley aside. He was highly thought of in Port Adelaide & Geelong and Thompson has stated publicly he was a very astute tactical assistant.
He was a player who didn't have the natural skill as many but his hard work paid dividends for him and he brings that hard working attitude to the mix as well.
I think being friends and having good bonds and communication with a head coach as a assistant actually is a good thing. He will be able to say things to Buckley a person who doesn't have the same relationship does.
I doubt he's a yes man at all. If he was he wouldn't have got the arse from Adelaide he would have listened to Roo more and nodded his head instead of disagreeing with him thus costing him his job (it's no secret Roo didn't like the fact he didn't have more input into the team and the way it played and he made those feelings known among the playing group even hinting a coaching change was going to happen)
He brings experience at various clubs and has said publicly he had to work on some communication issues and also has now spent time working with elite juniors so he understands and knows what's coming through the system which could be handy come draft time in the coming years.
Instead of being negative why not look at the pluses he brings and judge him on his performance once he starts work
kymbo5@yahoo.com.au 

PostPosted: Tue Aug 09, 2016 10:38 am

qldmagpie67 wrote:
I actually like this appointment his friendship with Buckley aside. He was highly thought of in Port Adelaide & Geelong and Thompson has stated publicly he was a very astute tactical assistant.
He was a player who didn't have the natural skill as many but his hard work paid dividends for him and he brings that hard working attitude to the mix as well.
I think being friends and having good bonds and communication with a head coach as a assistant actually is a good thing. He will be able to say things to Buckley a person who doesn't have the same relationship does.
I doubt he's a yes man at all. If he was he wouldn't have got the arse from Adelaide he would have listened to Roo more and nodded his head instead of disagreeing with him thus costing him his job (it's no secret Roo didn't like the fact he didn't have more input into the team and the way it played and he made those feelings known among the playing group even hinting a coaching change was going to happen)
He brings experience at various clubs and has said publicly he had to work on some communication issues and also has now spent time working with elite juniors so he understands and knows what's coming through the system which could be handy come draft time in the coming years.
Instead of being negative why not look at the pluses he brings and judge him on his performance once he starts work

Very well said. The point about his links to talented youth thru AIS is something I like a lot. I like what I have heard from him in the media, is articulate, constructively critical and seems to have a good understand of contemporary footy. Having said that, everyone sounds good in the media I guess (exceptions being Sam Newman, Anthony Mundine, Cathy Freeman and Donald Trump!)

watt price tully Scorpio

PostPosted: Tue Aug 09, 2016 10:42 am

barrybc41 wrote:
A South Australian "Mafia"
Bucks
Burns
Brenton

Add Balme and we have the alliteration team:

Barrybc
Bucks
Burns
Brenton
Balme

It's a bonspiracy I tell you. Can't pronounce the letter B.

Silly Bunt

jackcass Cancer

PostPosted: Tue Aug 09, 2016 11:15 am

MagpieBat wrote:
It's about as valid as assuming that being someone's best mate somehow enhances one's coaching ability.

So, what are we doing here again...?

As I said, good get based on his CV. Well respected assistant at both Port and Geelong, ongoing tenure with the AIS squad, none of which changes as a consequence of his relationship with Buckley other than via some mystical cyber myth suggesting nepotism.
BazBoy 

PostPosted: Tue Aug 09, 2016 2:00 pm

Subject was raised of coach's moving on 360 and
Bucks stated Coaching Association require August
one the club's to notify their coaching staff of club
reveiw so as if coach not required he can canvas
for position else where.

That's the timing sorted but not club's decision

The Prototype Virgo

Paint my face with a good-for-nothin smile.

PostPosted: Tue Aug 09, 2016 2:05 pm

MagpieBat wrote:
This Sanderson thing, if true, isn't really that surprising, at least to those who have been paying attention. Buckley openly said two years ago when Sanderson got his pink slip from Adelaide that he would either make room or make up a role for him if the football department spending cap would allow it (he's been hamstrung on that front by Pert and McGuire).

Channel 7 tonight reported that Sanderson would be coming in as a "senior assistant coach" which, co-incidentally, is also Robert Harvey's title. Is Banger getting the arse?

Regardless, I'm not sure adding yet another Buckley mate to the current crew of Buckley mates is a recipe for success, Sanderson's coaching resume aside...

On the positive side he was getting pretty good reviews as an assistant coach, much like Richardson, and Hinkley so the Buckley friendship aside it could be a good addition.

We will see though, if he's a flop he and Buckley can see their way out the door and we get people that will do the right thing.

https://www.facebook.com/davehardingphotography
https://www.facebook.com/Davage
The Prototype Virgo

Paint my face with a good-for-nothin smile.

PostPosted: Tue Aug 09, 2016 2:08 pm

barrybc41 wrote:
With Leppich imminent sacking we got Sando so
as to hang the "No job vacancies" sign up at Holden Centre lol

I wouldn't worry he'd never dock at Collingwood, he didn't seem like a bad assistant coach according to those in the know. But I think we can bypass Leppa and all.

https://www.facebook.com/davehardingphotography
https://www.facebook.com/Davage
BazBoy 

PostPosted: Tue Aug 09, 2016 2:10 pm

Well we have all had our say and all have our opinions.
The club will make their decision and that will be it

So we will have to see how it play's out and lets hope
it work's

Collingwood Crackerjack 

PostPosted: Tue Aug 09, 2016 2:48 pm

Good pick-up, I've always rated him, was unlucky at the Crows

Collingwood Crackerjack, 1992
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index -> General Discussion All times are GMT + 11 Hours

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next
Page 4 of 8   

Jump to: