Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index
 The RulesThe Rules FAQFAQ
   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   CalendarCalendar   SearchSearch 

2016 Census

Users browsing this topic:0 Registered, 0 Hidden and 0 Guests
Registered Users: None

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index -> Victoria Park Tavern

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next
View previous topic :: View next topic  
The Prototype Virgo

Paint my face with a good-for-nothin smile.

PostPosted: Wed Aug 10, 2016 1:29 am
Post subject: Reply with quote

Mum did the Census about 7pm, managed to get it all submitted without much trouble. I have seen a few on Facebook posting about it, mostly freaking out about the whole possibility of a fine for not doing it tonight.

https://www.facebook.com/davehardingphotography
https://www.facebook.com/Davage
stui magpie Gemini

Prepare for the worst, hope for the best.

PostPosted: Wed Aug 10, 2016 7:57 am

David wrote:
stui magpie wrote:
People having a shriek about the census website crashing and about fines prove that people are fkn idiots.

Fines don't start until September sometime fucktards, you can do the census anytime as long as the info is as of tonight.

fkn shrieking imbeciles. Rolling Eyes

(Woods of Ypres excepted) Wink

As they tell us at work, if the customer is confused then the problem isn't that they're an idiot, the problem is that we haven't explained it clearly enough. You can't hold everyone's hand, true, but this whole thing has been a PR disaster on the part of the ABS and their insufficient communication has been a big part of that. They've got five years to think of a better way to handle this; let's hope they get it right next time.

My experience is that communicating to a mass audience is an almost futile task, it doesn't matter how well you do it there'll be a number who don't understand it.

Communication only works well when you have a receptive audience.

regan is true fullback 

PostPosted: Wed Aug 10, 2016 8:35 am

this was a Liberal plot to abolish census takers. Typical conservatives, spend ten thousand dollars to save ten...
Pies4shaw Leo

pies4shaw

PostPosted: Wed Aug 10, 2016 10:52 am

stui magpie wrote:
David wrote:
stui magpie wrote:
People having a shriek about the census website crashing and about fines prove that people are fkn idiots.

Fines don't start until September sometime fucktards, you can do the census anytime as long as the info is as of tonight.

As they tell us at work, if the customer is confused then the problem isn't that they're an idiot, the problem is that we haven't explained it clearly enough. You can't hold everyone's hand, true, but this whole thing has been a PR disaster on the part of the ABS and their insufficient communication has been a big part of that. They've got five years to think of a better way to handle this; let's hope they get it right next time.

My experience is that communicating to a mass audience is an almost futile task, it doesn't matter how well you do it there'll be a number who don't understand it.

Why can't they just barcode our foreheads and walk us in a single line through a scanner?
think positive Libra

Side By Side

PostPosted: Wed Aug 10, 2016 12:25 pm

Pies4shaw wrote:
stui magpie wrote:
David wrote:
stui magpie wrote:

Why can't they just barcode our foreheads and walk us in a single line through a scanner?

i think swanny already has one

so i went through my in draw!! found it!! but the site is down, sigh!!!

Culprit Cancer

PostPosted: Wed Aug 10, 2016 1:45 pm

The Prototype wrote:
Mum did the Census about 7pm, managed to get it all submitted without much trouble. I have seen a few on Facebook posting about it, mostly freaking out about the whole possibility of a fine for not doing it tonight.
You have basically 6 weeks to do fill it in. Those with some form of intelligence knew it. We need to remove warning labels so we can remove the idiots through natural attrition.
think positive Libra

Side By Side

PostPosted: Wed Aug 10, 2016 2:57 pm

Culprit wrote:
The Prototype wrote:
You have basically 6 weeks to do fill it in. Those with some form of intelligence knew it. We need to remove warning labels so we can remove the idiots through natural attrition.

Wow, really? Harsh!
Lmaybe they didn't know cos they have more important things to worry about, or they just didn't give a shit!
For what it's worth, I knew how much time we had because I googled it, but gees, that's really over the top!

Culprit Cancer

PostPosted: Wed Aug 10, 2016 4:35 pm

think positive wrote:
Culprit wrote:
The Prototype wrote:

Wow, really? Harsh!
Lmaybe they didn't know cos they have more important things to worry about, or they just didn't give a shit!
For what it's worth, I knew how much time we had because I googled it, but gees, that's really over the top!
It's not a direct attack on Prototype, more the peole posting on Face Ache. I'm just over people who are whining about it due to lack of brain power. But I am still all for removing all warning labels. Razz I would run with that at the next election.
The Prototype Virgo

Paint my face with a good-for-nothin smile.

PostPosted: Wed Aug 10, 2016 4:55 pm

I had a few friends that didn't know about it, either doing their first census or got caught up in the whole issue about the fine. Our Census was done earlier in the evening without much of an issue.

I had been telling friends about the timeframe and all, just so they didn't stress so much, The whole online thing was a massive farce surely they would have known the website was never going to be able to sustain such a huge chunk of traffic all in one go.

https://www.facebook.com/davehardingphotography
https://www.facebook.com/Davage
stui magpie Gemini

PostPosted: Wed Aug 10, 2016 6:07 pm

Culprit wrote:
think positive wrote:
Culprit wrote:
The Prototype wrote:

Wow, really? Harsh!
It's not a direct attack on Prototype, more the peole posting on Face Ache. I'm just over people who are whining about it due to lack of brain power. But I am still all for removing all warning labels. Razz I would run with that at the next election.

I'm with you on all counts.

I'm also loving the furor about the data being hacked because the census bureau said hackers bought down the server. Rolling Eyes

A DDoS attack (if it was one) doesn't give hackers access to the data, it just overwhelms the server with spam traffic to stop people accessing it.

To understand what DDoS is, go here. http://www.digitalattackmap.com/understanding-ddos/

It's actually a surprisingly common hacker tactic. I'm aware of one organisation who hackers managed to get access to their network and used their email system to launch a DDoS on another organisation they routinely dealt with by firing spam email at their servers. The organisation receiving the spam had to tune their filters to block the emails which meant they blocked all communication with the first organisation until they sorted it out.

Interestingly I've seen reports that no DDoS attack showed up on the tracker maps, so it's potentially likely that the actual DDoS attack was called on by the census bureau and millions of numbats who didn't realise that they didn't actually have to do the thing online last night.

Dave The Man Scorpio

PostPosted: Wed Aug 10, 2016 7:17 pm

No Shock the Census was a Joke and Was Hacked
ronrat 

PostPosted: Wed Aug 10, 2016 7:43 pm

I agree. Get rid of cendud all together. Build schools , why bother. Your smartphone will do it all for you. Don't worry about where to build roads. Wait until they are needed and throw a few people out of home with crap compensation. People put more on facebook and other rubbish and then whinge about something useful.

I applied for a permit yesterday to reenter Thailand when I go home to Australia in October. Aside for the one page form I was handed a new one which says I must include phone, social media used, bars and cafes I visited and one name of a Thai citizen and his/her address. So I wrote I visited the International hospital and 7-11 in my street (there are 5). I just answered NA for the social media stuff.

And I am about to fill in a an Australian Tourist Visa application for my Thai girlfriend of 5 years. It is 18 pages long and I must add attachments. There are 49 questions.Included in that is the names and addreesses of her parents, children etc. Where she works, and if not why not. On top of that I have to include a letter from my parents saying she is staying there for free and copies of my bank statements Plus photocopies of her Id and all used pages of her passport.For that they will charge me 200 dollars and if unsuccessful I lose it.

So if filling in a form on paper or line is an issue for you don't do it. Then also don't whinge about having no new Government services in the future near you. And go bananas when new schools and services pop up all over Docklands and wealthier suburbs because they people there filled in forms correctly.

I worked years ago as a census collector. In Mt Evelyn in winter. Got bogged 5 times. No pub, few made roads, poor street lighting. I bet it is not like that now.

stui magpie Gemini

PostPosted: Wed Aug 10, 2016 8:31 pm

Dave The Man wrote:
No Shock the Census was a Joke and Was Hacked

Case in point. Rolling Eyes

think positive Libra

Side By Side

PostPosted: Wed Aug 10, 2016 8:36 pm

For what it probably isn't worth, I knew it wasn't a direct attack on Proto! I just thought it was overboard tanty stuff!
stui magpie Gemini

PostPosted: Wed Aug 10, 2016 8:58 pm

FWIW I currently have about zero capacity for sympathy for people who complain they didn't know something when the information is in front of them on a platter.

I have to deal with highly educated professional people every day who appear to have no common sense, patience or problem solving ability and who's instant response to not getting the desired outcome from any piece of technology they touch the first time is to claim it's broken rather than to take a second to stop and think.

I often wonder who showers and dresses them and drops them off at work in the mornings and then I remember they are esteemed people in their professions who save lives every day and have children of their own.

God I hope they're good at their jobs.................

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index -> Victoria Park Tavern All times are GMT + 11 Hours

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next
Page 3 of 6   

Jump to: