Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index
 The RulesThe Rules FAQFAQ
   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   CalendarCalendar   SearchSearch 

2016 NFL season thread

Users browsing this topic:0 Registered, 0 Hidden and 0 Guests
Registered Users: None

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index -> Nick's Sports Bar

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Pies4shaw Leo

pies4shaw

PostPosted: Mon Feb 06, 2017 2:16 pm
Post subject: Reply with quote

So, at 6 minutes and 12 seconds left in the 3rd quarter, the Falcons had a 99.7% chance of victory.

Somehow, Brady has brought the Pats back from the brink. If Atlanta loses this, it will be a choke of Collingwood 1970 or 1977 proportions.

Meanwhile, if you want to know what's happening in the big sport today, see the stickied Sheffield Shield round 7 thread - those games all start in less than 4 days' time. Rolling Eyes
Pies4shaw Leo

pies4shaw

PostPosted: Mon Feb 06, 2017 2:30 pm

And with another Tom Brady TD in overtime, the Falcons have snatched defeat from the jaws of victory.

Tom Brady deserves every accolade he is gong to get (as does Julian Edelman). What a breathtaking performance to pull that out of the fire. Brady must now be accepted as the undisputed best QB ever in the history of the NFL.

Just wow.

And in the big news, it is still 4 days until round 7 of the Shield starts.
Pies4shaw Leo

pies4shaw

PostPosted: Mon Feb 06, 2017 2:41 pm

So, from the time they led 28:3, the Falcons allowed 31 (no, that's not a typo - it really was 31) unanswered points.

Brady passed for 466 yards. Just incredible.
Pies4shaw Leo

pies4shaw

PostPosted: Mon Feb 06, 2017 2:52 pm

Thus proving, of course, that you can have a QB rating of 144.1 in a Super Bowl and still lose. Who'd have thought that? Just the single fumble-sack between the Falcons' first Super Bowl win and (let's be blunt) complete ridicule.
Dave The Man Scorpio

PostPosted: Mon Feb 06, 2017 3:31 pm

Brady is not the Greatest QB to ever play in the NFL.

Ryan did not lose it but the Secondary did in the 2nd Half. They could not Stop the Pats

Dave The Man Scorpio

PostPosted: Mon Feb 06, 2017 3:33 pm

Pies4shaw wrote:
And with another Tom Brady TD in overtime, the Falcons have snatched defeat from the jaws of victory.

Falcons got the Collywobbles Wink

Pies4shaw Leo

pies4shaw

PostPosted: Mon Feb 06, 2017 3:46 pm

Dave The Man wrote:
Brady is not the Greatest QB to ever play in the NFL.
Ryan did not lose it but the Secondary did in the 2nd Half. They could not Stop the Pats

Who would you say was/is better, DTM?

FWIW, I would have said Montana was way better and that Bradshaw and Starr were on a par. As a Packer fan, I would rather have Favre or (if Favre was not available for a comeback) Rodgers than Brady, if I were picking a quarterback for the fun of watching them play. But - Brady's winning record is quite astonishing. 466 yards in a Superbowl at age about 70 (hyperbole aside, he does turn 40 this coming August) - that's pretty tough to beat.

I remember Jack Spain (admittedly never the best judge or anything in sport or in politics) writing Brady off as too old after the Giants won in 2011. Brady has won two Super Bowls since then, one at age 37 and one at age 39.

Really, I've no particular love for Brady (and, eg, hoped his team would lose today) but it's an astonishing record.
Presti35 Virgo

Dick Lee for Legend Status

PostPosted: Mon Feb 06, 2017 9:39 pm

Bloody unreal ending.

The game was on overnight for me, but I couldn't believe it when I saw what happened.

One day the Redskins will win it again. I might be 136 years old by then, but it'll happen.

qldmagpie67 

PostPosted: Tue Feb 07, 2017 6:54 am

P4S it's hard in any sport to get a full agreement on who's the GOAT.
They name players from various eras and depending on who you support and when your teams best era was can influence opinions.
I'll take Brady he just seems to have that X factor to make things happen (yes with a lot of very good support players)
Listening to espn commentators they are all in agreement he's the greatest
I'm a niners fan and I would have plumped for Montana before yesterday heck I would have taken Young second (blind faith I know and Farve was outstanding and Rodgers is unbelievable granted and Akman Elway Starr Marino Manning Bradshaw all should be in th conversation) but no one has ever put together a resume like Brady.
Heck it ain't over yet either.
99.7% chance of winning and you lose is going to take some serious therapy to get over for Ryan.
Congrats to the pats
Pies4shaw Leo

pies4shaw

PostPosted: Tue Feb 07, 2017 7:46 am

I thought the coaching was solid, too. It was interesting watching the Pats' bench. Sure, when there was a disappointing play or a bad call, they shouted what they thought but they let it go straight after. I've never seen a guy look calmer with his team right down the very bottom of the hole than BB looked. With your team down 28:3 halfway through the 3rd quarter of the Super Bowl, history must have told him that it was time to expect a 55:10 blow-out as his team, realising all was lost, just dropped its bundle. The leadership to keep the players' heads up must have been phenomenal. They just kept doing the same thing, play after play, until the tide turned.
Pies4shaw Leo

pies4shaw

PostPosted: Tue Feb 07, 2017 9:32 am

Here's a fascinating analysis, by Bill Barnwell at ESPN, of what happened in this game. The second half (under the heading "But how?"), identifying what changed and why, is particularly interesting: http://www.espn.com/nfl/story/_/page/Barnwellx170206/anatomy-miracle-how-patriots-came-back-dead-super-bowl-li
Pies4shaw Leo

pies4shaw

PostPosted: Wed Feb 08, 2017 12:13 am

Here's the obligatory GOAT article:

http://www.espn.com/nfl/story/_/id/18628154/tom-brady-goat-super-bowl-51-nfl-2017-new-england-patriots

Said Chris Long: "He's the GOAT. He's the king of the petting zoo. There are other GOATs and other farm animals, but he's like the biggest GOAT. The GOAT that runs the whole petting zoo."

I watched and I was amazed. I think he probably is, too.
qldmagpie67 

PostPosted: Tue Feb 14, 2017 8:04 am

P4S it's interesting really as for 70% of the game Brady struggled when the Falcons rushed him and took his time away.
The longer the game went there lack of depth meant they couldn't keep the defensive line fresh and then Brady just took over.
From half way through the 3rd quarter he was flawless
Ended up with 466 passing yards a record and went 46 of 62 for 2 TD's 1 interception.
I was actually more surprised as the much hyped Falcons offence actually on,y scored 14 points
The judges rate him the GOAT and hard to argue but it's a different game now then years gone by
5 Super Bowl wins 7 appearances is going to take some beating
Jezza Taurus

2023 PREMIERS!

PostPosted: Tue Feb 14, 2017 9:37 pm

Pies4shaw wrote:
New England simply cannot win this, now.

Awkward...Razz

Pies4shaw Leo

pies4shaw

PostPosted: Wed Feb 15, 2017 12:55 pm

http://www.espn.com/nfl/story/_/id/18685611/atlanta-zoo-names-cockroach-patriots-qb-tom-brady
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index -> Nick's Sports Bar All times are GMT + 11 Hours

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next
Page 6 of 7   

Jump to: