Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index
 The RulesThe Rules FAQFAQ
   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   CalendarCalendar   SearchSearch 

Arrested in Victoria for protesting at an abortion clinic.

Users browsing this topic:0 Registered, 0 Hidden and 0 Guests
Registered Users: None

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index -> Victoria Park Tavern

Goto page 1, 2  Next
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Culprit Cancer

PostPosted: Thu Aug 04, 2016 8:14 pm
Post subject: Arrested in Victoria for protesting at an abortion clinic.Reply with quote

I am all for this law
Quote:
“I intend to pursue this case to the High Court to prove that the “Safe Access Zone” amendment is unconstitutional because it burdens the constitutional freedom of political communication,” Ms Clubb posted on Facebook.

http://www.heraldsun.com.au/news/law-order/mother-of-13-arrested-in-east-melbourne-clinic-protest/news-story/a90d71765491cd1189348579a4f98a0b

I used to work near this clinic and these people are evil. This is a stunt to test the law and I hope they lose and have to pay full legal costs.
stui magpie Gemini

Prepare for the worst, hope for the best.

PostPosted: Thu Aug 04, 2016 9:06 pm
Post subject: Reply with quote

Is that the clinic on Wellington parade a bit east of Jolimont Station?

I used to walk past that years ago and those god botherers used to shit me to tears.

Abortion is legal and people should be able to enter the clinic without having photos of dead babies shoved in their face and being verbally abused.

There's free speech and then there's harassment.

Morrigu Capricorn

PostPosted: Thu Aug 04, 2016 9:35 pm

It's not just a clinic for abortion ( well it wasn't don't know about now not that it matters) they provided very good women's health medicine services - surgical menopause and hormone treatments etc!

I hated these bastards with a passion and had many a heated argument with them - how fckn dare they shove their shite down people's throat and they were unbelievably aggressive and had no concept or care about invading your personal space - closest I've ever come to snotting someone - so very close!!

I love this law - they must fail in their challenge so that Ms Clubb and the rest of the band of numpties can learn that they cannot impose their will or belief in what they interpret as their sky fairy's doctrine on others and learn to respect and accept the choices of individuals and not attempt to impose their will by vile harassment!!! Evil or Very Mad

David Libra

I dare you to try

PostPosted: Thu Aug 04, 2016 9:46 pm

stui magpie wrote:
There's free speech and then there's harassment.

This sums it up for me, too. Of course it's a fine line and I wouldnt want to see the laws go too far the other way (the right to protest, after all, must be protected). But harassing individual women walking into a clinic is unacceptable, and hopefully something that these exclusion zones will put an end to.

Dave The Man Scorpio

PostPosted: Fri Aug 05, 2016 12:07 am

Bloody Bible Bashes.

They should Piss Off.

Having a Abortion can be a Very Sensible Thing

Jezza Taurus

2023 PREMIERS!

PostPosted: Fri Aug 05, 2016 12:28 am

I'm fine with protesting, but intimidating and threatening those attending the clinic is another thing all together.
Dave The Man Scorpio

PostPosted: Fri Aug 05, 2016 3:45 pm

Jezza wrote:
I'm fine with protesting, but intimidating and threatening those attending the clinic is another thing all together.

That is breaking the Law

Wokko Pisces

Come and take it.

PostPosted: Fri Aug 05, 2016 3:49 pm

Everyone thinks restricting protest is a good idea when they're ideologically opposed to the protest.

If they assault people then arrest them, otherwise they should be free to express their view and protest something they find to be fundamentally wrong. If you cheer on restricting pro lifers then don't sook once union or pro-refugee protests or whoever is winning the privilege olympics at the moment get shut down.
Jezza Taurus

2023 PREMIERS!

PostPosted: Fri Aug 05, 2016 4:20 pm

Dave The Man wrote:
Jezza wrote:

That is breaking the Law

Protesting isn't illegal and shouldn't be illegal regardless of how silly or absurd the cause may be, but threatening to inflict harm on someone is illegal and is another legal matter separate from your right to protest.

think positive Libra

Side By Side

PostPosted: Fri Aug 05, 2016 7:08 pm

Wokko wrote:
Everyone thinks restricting protest is a good idea when they're ideologically opposed to the protest.

If they assault people then arrest them, otherwise they should be free to express their view and protest something they find to be fundamentally wrong. If you cheer on restricting pro lifers then don't sook once union or pro-refugee protests or whoever is winning the privilege olympics at the moment get shut down.

Great post

An exclusion area is a good idea, but the. It would be for all protests

Culprit Cancer

PostPosted: Fri Aug 05, 2016 7:21 pm

The exclusion area is what is required with these pro life nutters. The law was to stop them harassing, spitting, intimidating and abusing people that enter these clinics. They are religious extremists and we are lucky they don't have easy access to explosives and weapons.
stui magpie Gemini

Prepare for the worst, hope for the best.

PostPosted: Fri Aug 05, 2016 7:44 pm

think positive wrote:
Wokko wrote:

Great post

An exclusion area is a good idea, but the. It would be for all protests

As I said earlier, protesting is one thing, harassment is another.

Everyone has the right to protest but if the form of that protest includes harassing innocent people then they need to be moved back.

People have the right to protest, people also have the right to go about undertaking legal activities without being harassed and bullied by people who don't agree with that activity.

Same reason an exclusion zone exists for protesters against duck hunting, a legal but unpopular activity.

Wokko is right in that it's can't only be one way.

That's also why I disagree as I've said before with allowing counter protests to happen at the same time. There needs to be separation.

Morrigu Capricorn

PostPosted: Fri Aug 05, 2016 8:30 pm

Wokko wrote:

Their right to protest has not been restricted, they can protest all day and all night if they like!

If they had a scrap of human decency and respected others basic rights to go about their business without being charged at and being screamed at and abused a few millimetres from their face by a complete stranger in a threatening manner then a safe exclusion zone would not have been required - they didn't, they don't so they can get stuffed!!!

You have a daughter you would be happy for grown men ( and many many of them are) to be able to intimidate and threaten her in such a manner ?

ronrat 

PostPosted: Fri Aug 05, 2016 8:55 pm

Well done on Fiona Patten for getting this law through.
David Libra

I dare you to try

PostPosted: Fri Aug 05, 2016 9:07 pm

Indeed! One of the Sex Party's biggest achievements in the Vic upper house. Wish they'd managed to get a seat in the Senate, too – there's a real absence of their brand of civil libertarianism in Australian politics.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index -> Victoria Park Tavern All times are GMT + 11 Hours

Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2   

Jump to: