Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index
 The RulesThe Rules FAQFAQ
   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   CalendarCalendar   SearchSearch 

Torture & abuse of children in Juvenile Justice in NT

Users browsing this topic:0 Registered, 0 Hidden and 0 Guests
Registered Users: None

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index -> Victoria Park Tavern

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Culprit Cancer

PostPosted: Wed Jul 27, 2016 6:07 pm
Post subject: Reply with quote

Treating these young criminals like animals for the years that they are sentenced and then on release expect them to be human, works well.

This won't be fixed by smokes and mirrors as in a royal commission. Nothings been achieved in the latest royal commission into the church and child abuse. It's all about making everyone feel good and will be forgotten in weeks.

The abuse is rife in aged care and needs just as much if not more attention but the LNP's mates run those facilities.
stui magpie Gemini

Prepare for the worst, hope for the best.

PostPosted: Wed Jul 27, 2016 7:22 pm

Skids wrote:
http://www.ntnews.com.au/news/northern-territory/teen-bashed-people-and-tried-to-run-over-a-cop/news-story/1e1354f764011bb8afdd2ae06671a8d0

Not in any way condoning the behaviour of the prison guards but the kid in the hood footage is a piece of garbage.

I read online that the unedited video shows the kid was restrained for threatening self harm, said he'd break his own wrist, and that the hood is actually mesh, so it's see through, and is designed to stop people spitting.

I haven't read or watched all of the stuff so I'm also not condoning any of the behaviour.

Dunno if garbage is the term I'd use for the kid, there's usually some good in most people and there's reasons (not excuses) why they end up the way they are.

I'd say that he's exhibit A for the prosecution that the system up there is futterly ucked and I don't just mean the detention system.

David Libra

I dare you to try

PostPosted: Wed Jul 27, 2016 11:25 pm

I find it incredible that someone decided that those hoods were a necessary form of equipment to have in a juvenile detention facility. To prevent spitting, of all things.
think positive Libra

Side By Side

PostPosted: Wed Jul 27, 2016 11:47 pm

David wrote:
I find it incredible that someone decided that those hoods were a necessary form of equipment to have in a juvenile detention facility. To prevent spitting, of all things.

Really? Why should guards be spat on?

Morrigu Capricorn

PostPosted: Thu Jul 28, 2016 12:33 am

David wrote:

Exactly! Really how soft are those guards or the nurses or doctors in such facilities or hospitals who don't want to be spat at!

Surely being spat at is just part of the job eh - nothing better than copping some saliva especially from a drug user in the mouth or eye Rolling Eyes

David Libra

I dare you to try

PostPosted: Thu Jul 28, 2016 2:14 am

If I were working as a prison guard, I expect I'd have far more difficult and traumatising experiences than coming into contact with someone else's saliva. It's not an easy job (and I sympathise with the people who do it), but that makes it all the more important that conduct be measured and appropriate. Like many people watching that program, I struggle to imagine how putting a bag (transparent or otherwise) over someone's head could ever fulfil that criteria.

As for spitting perhaps it's a function of being dribbled on and wiping up shit every day, but I'm just not that squeamish about bodily fluids. I mean, god, getting accidentally spat on at the football or on a first date is a rite of passage, isn't it?

stui magpie Gemini

Prepare for the worst, hope for the best.

PostPosted: Thu Jul 28, 2016 7:39 am

^

I think you missed Morrigu's point.

Hep C or HIV ring any alarm bells? Rolling Eyes

Lazza 

PostPosted: Thu Jul 28, 2016 11:43 am

Morrigu wrote:
David wrote:

Exactly! Really how soft are those guards or the nurses or doctors in such facilities or hospitals who don't want to be spat at!

Surely being spat at is just part of the job eh - nothing better than copping some saliva especially from a drug user in the mouth or eye Rolling Eyes

Geez, these poor guard bastards wouldn't have lasted 5 minutes as old VFL umpires, opposition players/fans at Victoria Park after a Collingwood loss in the good old days.. Twisted Evil
Even old ladies used to spit, swear and hurl their brollies at these folk who used to go home full of feral spit and even some broken bloody dentures!!! Shocked

LOL!!! Razz

David Libra

I dare you to try

PostPosted: Thu Jul 28, 2016 11:49 am

stui magpie wrote:
^

I've heard antibacterial soap can do wonders.

Anyway, getting back to the more substantial topic at hand, this is a good piece:

https://www.theguardian.com/australia-news/commentisfree/2016/jul/26/we-act-as-though-people-in-prison-deserve-everything-they-get-they-dont

HAL 

Please don't shout at me - I can't help it.

PostPosted: Thu Jul 28, 2016 11:50 am

If I have to choose one, I pickHep C.
watt price tully Scorpio

PostPosted: Thu Jul 28, 2016 2:01 pm

David wrote:
stui magpie wrote:
^

Anyway, getting back to the more substantial topic at hand, this is a good piece:

https://www.theguardian.com/australia-news/commentisfree/2016/jul/26/we-act-as-though-people-in-prison-deserve-everything-they-get-they-dont

One can't underestimate that people do spit David. This is not a mere trifle. Have it in ED regularly as do police, paramedics & others indeed emergency workers are subject to this quite a bit.

However, they all could have worn protective glasses (plastic shields as one way to deal with it), they can be better ways than the full hood as was shown, restraint can be better applied than the mechanisms they used.

In many ways it is beside the point though & is not the main issue in town.

The royal commission cannot be in any way controlled or even have any influence by the CLP. The bloke sacked from his role as prisons or corrections is also attorney general there. The leader is a shocker there & needs to resign.

Skids Cancer

Quitting drinking will be one of the best choices you make in your life.

PostPosted: Thu Jul 28, 2016 2:23 pm

watt price tully wrote:
David wrote:
stui magpie wrote:
^

One can't underestimate that people do spit David. This is not a mere trifle. Have it in ED regularly as do police, paramedics & others indeed emergency workers are subject to this quite a bit.

However, they all could have worn protective glasses (plastic shields as one way to deal with it), they can be better ways than the full hood as was shown, restraint can be better applied than the mechanisms they used.

The royal commission cannot be in any way controlled or even have any influence by the CLP. The bloke sacked from his role as prisons or corrections is also attorney general there. The leader is a shocker there & needs to resign.

An approved piece of equipment I believe?

Apparently, the kid in that (edited) clip, was threatening self harm prior to being restrained & had continually assaulted the guards.

There's plenty more to this story than the 60 seconds of vision the public have been fed.

Pies4shaw Leo

pies4shaw

PostPosted: Thu Jul 28, 2016 3:06 pm

Skids wrote:
watt price tully wrote:
David wrote:
stui magpie wrote:
^

Apparently, the kid in that (edited) clip, was threatening self harm prior to being restrained & had continually assaulted the guards.

There's plenty more to this story than the 60 seconds of vision the public have been fed.

Of course there's more to it. There's the whole question of what kind of sick society would consider it to be acceptable to place anyone, whatever their transgressions, in such a vile environment. I wonder whether the outgoing Minister would like to do an episode of "Undercover Boss" in a place like that? No, I thought not.
watt price tully Scorpio

PostPosted: Thu Jul 28, 2016 3:16 pm

Skids wrote:
watt price tully wrote:
David wrote:
stui magpie wrote:
^

Don't get blinded by the side issues. Of course you did say you in no way condone the actions but...

Of course the issues are complex & no one is arguing against this. The issue we have is that people lied & covered up from the guards to the government over the abuse of kids mostly Aboriginal in NT. Even your premier has weighed in & good on him too - he knows the main issues & not the distractions.

David Libra

I dare you to try

PostPosted: Thu Jul 28, 2016 3:22 pm

Skids wrote:

The (much longer than 60 second) program explicitly told us that this was the reason for him being restrained in that manner. If you haven't watched it then you probably don't know what the public have or haven't been 'fed'.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index -> Victoria Park Tavern All times are GMT + 11 Hours

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
Page 3 of 5   

Jump to: