Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index
 The RulesThe Rules FAQFAQ
   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   CalendarCalendar   SearchSearch 

Torture & abuse of children in Juvenile Justice in NT

Users browsing this topic:0 Registered, 0 Hidden and 0 Guests
Registered Users: None

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index -> Victoria Park Tavern

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5
View previous topic :: View next topic  
watt price tully Scorpio

PostPosted: Tue Aug 16, 2016 8:21 pm
Post subject: Reply with quote

stui magpie wrote:
Interesting view on this from JFK.

Quote:
VIEWERS of the ABC were recently shown an emotional, one-sided Four Corners program on juvenile detention in the Northern Territory. It was frightening, but deliberately misleading. It relied on old footage and I believe the program was an abuse of the ABC’s charter and an abuse of taxpayers’ money.

http://www.heraldsun.com.au/news/opinion/abc-bias-over-nt-juvenile-detention-issue-offensive-unacceptable-jeff-kennett/news-story/cc33f3a64676aac373ca7a6387d4aaae

He puts some interesting context on the vision and the timing which, if correct, puts some of it in a different light.

I'm sure it will be ignored by some as typical liberal ABC bashing,.....

How could anyone think that Stui? I mean a liberal member, an ex premier going to support his comrades in NT before an election?

Shocked shocked I'm speechless, I mean how anyone could think such a thing. Razz Wink

stui magpie Gemini

Prepare for the worst, hope for the best.

PostPosted: Tue Aug 16, 2016 8:38 pm

^

LOL, I'd expect nothing less. Wink

HAL 

Please don't shout at me - I can't help it.

PostPosted: Tue Aug 16, 2016 8:41 pm

I like the way you talk.
David Libra

I dare you to try

PostPosted: Tue Aug 16, 2016 9:02 pm

To be honest, I did at times feel like the program was verging a little on advocacy as opposed to even-handed journalism. But Kennett's article seems to miss the point in a number of ways:

Quote:
That was on December 9, 2010, almost six years ago. Yet the ABC gave the impression the incident was recent and the fault of the current government.

On the contrary, the presenter was quite clear that the boy was only 13, then, and immediately followed it up with footage where they said he was now 17. I don't remember whether they mentioned a specific date, but the obvious implication there is that the footage is several years old. As for the political administration it occurred under...

Quote:
And there was certainly no mention that this occurred under the watch of an ALP government.

Why should there have been? Only a Liberal could think that this was the key issue at play here. Newsflash, Jeff: everything is not about your party. The documentary was about widespread, systemic failures that clearly transcended partisan concerns.

Quote:
Nor did it explain why officers took the action they did.

To some extent, this is true. The program may not have fully explained why they took this course of action, and as a result may have not presented the whole picture. But it did explain that they were concerned about the boy self-harming, so it was not as if they presented this as an inexplicable decision without cause.

Quote:
The second piece of footage was a spit hood being applied to an individual in a restraint chair. I am told this was because there had been threats of self-harm. It occurred in 2015 in the Complex Behaviour Unit, but there is no sign of aggression from the officers – on the contrary, they appear calm, as does the individual in the chair. I am also told it is not unusual for officers to film their activities as a matter of record if their actions are ever queried.

But all of this would have been perfectly clear to viewers, as it was to me when I watched it. What was shocking (even if Kennett doesn't consider it so) was the concept of a boy tied to a chair with a bag over his head and left for two hours. If you don't find that inherently shocking, then it's unlikely you'll have been affected by the images from the documentary; if you have been, then it's likely because it is an inherently shocking act.

Quote:
[The ABC] has destroyed the reputation of a minister who has been at the forefront of reforms in the NT prison system.

Not once did the program cast aspersions on the minister. It simply presented the facts (perhaps from, as I noted above, an advocacy position), and showed footage of him responding to questions and (very reluctantly) giving the journalist a tour of the facilities. If his reputation was hurt as a result of this, that wasn't the ABC's fault.

Last edited by David on Tue Aug 16, 2016 9:07 pm; edited 1 time in total
HAL 

Please don't shout at me - I can't help it.

PostPosted: Tue Aug 16, 2016 9:04 pm

Who wrote The Program ?
stui magpie Gemini

PostPosted: Tue Aug 16, 2016 9:30 pm

Interesting you took different pieces from it David.

I ignored the political bits as I expected that from JFK.

What I focused on was the bit about how the facility where most of the action appeared to have happened was closed a few years back, people were moved to new and different facilities, one named the same as the prior one, yet the insinuation apparently from the ABC was it was all at one facility with a continuous history.

It seems if he's right that action had happened regarding these issues, yet the presentation (again apparently) was that nothing had changed.

Also the last bit about the number of employees who have been injured and won't work again was interesting.

Leaving aside the political bickering and cheap shots at the ABC, it's potential further proof that there's several sides to any story.

David Libra

I dare you to try

PostPosted: Tue Aug 16, 2016 10:27 pm

stui magpie wrote:
What I focused on was the bit about how the facility where most of the action appeared to have happened was closed a few years back, people were moved to new and different facilities, one named the same as the prior one, yet the insinuation apparently from the ABC was it was all at one facility with a continuous history.

Again, this was clearly explained in the program, and we saw footage of the new facility. Which makes me wonder how much attention Jeff was paying when he watched it! But I agree that the program could have highlighted more the kind of pressure that the guards were under, which I already presumed was the case just from what I know about the system, but may not have been clear to most viewers.

stui magpie Gemini

PostPosted: Tue Aug 16, 2016 10:41 pm

Fair call, i haven't watched the program and have no desire or intention to.

No argument that JFK has his biases, they're obvious and apparent. Your benign criticism of the program though does reinforce that editors tailor programs such as this to their audience and that the ABC is not immune from that.

David Libra

I dare you to try

PostPosted: Wed Aug 17, 2016 2:09 am

I'll admit that I was expecting it – as an ABC program, after all – to be a little more cautious and even-handed in its reportage than it was. But perhaps it was a good thing it wasn't; as we've seen, you can sometimes achieve more with outrage than you can with calm explanation (and I don't just mean the royal commission; I don't share the hard-on that every politician and his dog has for them right now, though it may well do some good).

As a number of people pointed out in the aftermath, we'd had access to this information and some of the footage for years, but nobody gave a shit before the program aired – and that was an unequivocally bad thing, because even if one might be able to mount an argument that some of the practices were appropriate, it was only the Four Corners episode made a great number of people realise for the first time in any meaningful way that these kids exist, and that how they are treated matters. That, for me, is an incredibly important result.

think positive Libra

Side By Side

PostPosted: Wed Aug 17, 2016 6:46 am

I wondered why this kid is in an adult jail and googled it

http://www.ntnews.com.au/news/northern-territory/teen-bashed-people-and-tried-to-run-over-a-cop/news-story/1e1354f764011bb8afdd2ae06671a8d0

He's written a letter now thanking the public for their support.

Hopefully when he gets paroled next month, all this publicity breaks the cycle and the kid gets on a good path.

think positive Libra

Side By Side

PostPosted: Wed Aug 17, 2016 6:48 am

David wrote:
I'll admit that I was expecting it – as an ABC program, after all – to be a little more cautious and even-handed in its reportage than it was. But perhaps it was a good thing it wasn't; as we've seen, you can sometimes achieve more with outrage than you can with calm explanation (and I don't just mean the royal commission; I don't share the hard-on that every politician and his dog has for them right now, though it may well do some good).

As a number of people pointed out in the aftermath, we'd had access to this information and some of the footage for years, but nobody gave a shit before the program aired – and that was an unequivocally bad thing, because even if one might be able to mount an argument that some of the practices were appropriate, it was only the Four Corners episode made a great number of people realise for the first time in any meaningful way that these kids exist, and that how they are treated matters. That, for me, is an incredibly important result.

It's pretty bloody sad that's for sure. certsinly doesn't set the ground work for rehabilitation

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index -> Victoria Park Tavern All times are GMT + 11 Hours

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5
Page 5 of 5   

Jump to: