Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index
 The RulesThe Rules FAQFAQ
   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   CalendarCalendar   SearchSearch 

Torture & abuse of children in Juvenile Justice in NT

Users browsing this topic:0 Registered, 0 Hidden and 0 Guests
Registered Users: None

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index -> Victoria Park Tavern

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
View previous topic :: View next topic  
stui magpie Gemini

Prepare for the worst, hope for the best.

PostPosted: Tue Jul 26, 2016 6:39 pm
Post subject: Reply with quote

watt price tully wrote:
The Northern Territory shouldn't ever be allowed to be a state. It is a redneck pioneer place in many areas with incompetent management in the public service & bureaucratic structures. The CLP government is incompetent if not corrupt & needs to be held to account. That account will never be able to occur in the NT unfortunately (selling or leasing the port for something like 30 years to the Chinese ffs)?

Some of the other issues that cut across here include:

1. Entrenched racism (despite there being white offenders (the minority),
1.1 There are twice as many young aboriginals incarcerated since the royal commission into black deaths in custody more than 25years ago
2. Grog: (the current government LCP government has allowed more grog to be sold not less
3. Stupid laws that incarcerate kids for property offences so that CLP can say they are going to be tough on crime - never trust any government that says they are going to be tough on crime.
4. Poorly trained staff which goes back to incompetent management / incompetent public service

How long has this CLP government been in place?

That photo I referred to is 6 years old. My cousin only moved from Alice Springs 12 months ago and I recall him telling me a couple of years ago how restrictive the alcohol trade was.

Morrigu Capricorn

PostPosted: Tue Jul 26, 2016 7:44 pm

Um showing my ignorance here but what does a Royal Commission achieve that an investigation or inquiry doesn't?

Do they have more power or authority? ( yes I know I could google)

stui magpie Gemini

PostPosted: Tue Jul 26, 2016 7:50 pm

Morrigu wrote:
Um showing my ignorance here but what does a Royal Commission achieve that an investigation or inquiry doesn't?

Do they have more power or authority? ( yes I know I could google)

Theoretically independent, more power and more authority. Conducting an inquiry would be fine if it was done in good faith.

The other benefit is that the findings are made public which makes them harder to run from even though party politics always results in partisan beliefs where the subject is at all political.

Morrigu Capricorn

PostPosted: Tue Jul 26, 2016 7:52 pm

^ ah thank you!

VPT > Google Very Happy

watt price tully Scorpio

PostPosted: Tue Jul 26, 2016 9:00 pm

stui magpie wrote:
watt price tully wrote:
The Northern Territory shouldn't ever be allowed to be a state. It is a redneck pioneer place in many areas with incompetent management in the public service & bureaucratic structures. The CLP government is incompetent if not corrupt & needs to be held to account. That account will never be able to occur in the NT unfortunately (selling or leasing the port for something like 30 years to the Chinese ffs)?

Some of the other issues that cut across here include:

1. Entrenched racism (despite there being white offenders (the minority),
1.1 There are twice as many young aboriginals incarcerated since the royal commission into black deaths in custody more than 25years ago
2. Grog: (the current government LCP government has allowed more grog to be sold not less
3. Stupid laws that incarcerate kids for property offences so that CLP can say they are going to be tough on crime - never trust any government that says they are going to be tough on crime.
4. Poorly trained staff which goes back to incompetent management / incompetent public service

How long has this CLP government been in place?

That photo I referred to is 6 years old. My cousin only moved from Alice Springs 12 months ago and I recall him telling me a couple of years ago how restrictive the alcohol trade was.

What you highlighted was one of the factors of the CLP gaining power. I forget the specifics but in basic terms the experts informed the ALP about petrol & grog issues. The CLP chose to inform themselves by the profits of the grog & changed the grog selling policies.

When driving to the Gym this evening heard the current leader of the ALP in NT apologise on the inactions of past governments.

My remedy: Get a Major Stratton type figure to go in, consult & manage. The place is too small to have a "state type government" & the current lot have already shown they're not capable of good, competent & accountable government.

Praise to the Prince of Potts Point.

stui magpie Gemini

PostPosted: Tue Jul 26, 2016 9:16 pm

Thanks for answering the question, I had to google it.

The CLP won government in 2012 ending 11 years of Labor.

So the photo's and a lot of the stuff happened on labors watch too. Blaming one party is BS. There is clearly a problem that has happened while both parties were in power.

watt price tully Scorpio

PostPosted: Tue Jul 26, 2016 11:51 pm

stui magpie wrote:

So the photo's and a lot of the stuff happened on labors watch too. Blaming one party is BS. There is clearly a problem that has happened while both parties were in power.

Your last comment seems you haven't been following this too closely & comes across as a bit glib

Please note I did mention that the new ALP opposition leader apologised for past inaction for all governments

What you missed however was that:

1. While the CLP have been in power they held an inquiry into the juvenile justice centre in question
2. They were aware of the issues
3. The CLP denied knowing what was going on
3. Various legal representatives & NGO's advised indeed told the CLP what was occurring in the centre & other places
4. Through law & order issues the CLP lied about not knowing & dismissed the details of the findings (see the 7.30 report tonight as the sacked of his prisons responsibility minister scoffed & made comments at the time that if we went softly softly etc - made him look like a fool that he is)
5. and more

7.30 report:

http://www.abc.net.au/7.30/

However, while all parties share blame the CLP has lied about not knowing when they commissioned a report into it (under severe public pressure of course) in the first place.

The issue I mentioned earlier about grog in the NT has been politicised & used by the CLP in their elections when taking over from Claire Martin all those years ago. Their approach is the antithesis of what the D & A Policy advisors and people on the ground wanted.

That both parties have failed Aboriginal Australians brooks no issue with me however the detail of recent events shows CLP culpability.

Additional:

From letters to the Age:

"In 2011 a therapeutic SMART court (Substance Misuse Assessment and Referral for Treatment) was set up in Alice Springs and Darwin. Offenders were required to attend regular drug testing and participate in work-training programs instead of being jailed initially. Despite anecdotal evidence of offenders making real progress the court was discontinued in December 2012 without being evaluated. This did not stop NT attorney-general and justice minister John Elferink, who featured on Four Corners and has just been sacked, from declaring the court "ineffective and inefficient" and criticising its "soft on crime" approach"

The above is in part what I was trying to say about the f*ckers that are the CLP in NT.

Last edited by watt price tully on Wed Jul 27, 2016 1:26 am; edited 2 times in total
Dave The Man Scorpio

PostPosted: Wed Jul 27, 2016 12:36 am

stui magpie wrote:
I read this article today (haven't watched the 4 corners episode) http://www.businessinsider.com.au/the-truly-shocking-thing-about-the-nts-juvenile-detention-abuse-is-how-many-times-the-alarm-was-raised-and-ignored-2016-7

First thing that struck me was the date stamp on the photo, freeze from CCTV obviously. This shit has been going on for years.

So who Fault is it. The NT or Federal Goverments allowing this Shit to Happen

Dave The Man Scorpio

PostPosted: Wed Jul 27, 2016 12:38 am

Wokko wrote:
ABC Q&A Retweeted

RN Breakfast ‏@RNBreakfast 12m12 minutes ago
BREAKING: The PM @TurnbullMalcolm will urgently establish a Royal Commission into the NT Justice Scandal #4Corners

Funny how that Prick only does something when it comes Public Rolling Eyes

Morrigu Capricorn

PostPosted: Wed Jul 27, 2016 12:41 am

I'll probably get lambasted but what the hell!

There is a greater problem here - we pay the lowest wages and provide the least amount of training to people who we then charge with the responsibility of caring for our most vulnerable people - the young, the old and the damaged!

The footage was confronting but tbh I found the video of the poor old bloke with dementia being abused and assaulted by an attendant in a nursing home more distressing - and this is far far from an isolated incident - where is the Royal Commission to investigate the lack of care and abuse of our elders?? And where is the commitment from our Governments to provide adequate funding to ensure appropriate care?

I am not suggesting for one moment that the practices exposed are remotely acceptable and reform is not required but it seems to me we have a hierarchy of outrage and the treatment of our old folk who have committed no crime than be old and sick just don't attract the same " outrage" especially from the Twitterati brigade!

I worked in the NT mostly in remote communities - I understand the issues they are not easily addressed and chucking more cash at the problems will do stuff all - but there is a lack of accountability and responsibility from all - not just politicians

watt price tully Scorpio

PostPosted: Wed Jul 27, 2016 1:12 am

Morrigu wrote:

There is a greater problem here - we pay the lowest wages and provide the least amount of training to people who we then charge with the responsibility of caring for our most vulnerable people - the young, the old and the damaged!

The footage was confronting but tbh I found the video of the poor old bloke with dementia being abused and assaulted by an attendant in a nursing home more distressing - and this is far far from an isolated incident - where is the Royal Commission to investigate the lack of care and abuse of our elders?? And where is the commitment from our Governments to provide adequate funding to ensure appropriate care?

I am not suggesting for one moment that the practices exposed are remotely acceptable and reform is not required but it seems to me we have a hierarchy of outrage and the treatment of our old folk who have committed no crime than be old and sick just don't attract the same " outrage" especially from the Twitterati brigade!

I worked in the NT mostly in remote communities - I understand the issues they are not easily addressed and chucking more cash at the problems will do stuff all - but there is a lack of accountability and responsibility from all - not just politicians

Why should you get lambasted?

The only issue I have is not to compare or compete.

What a night on the ABC was Monday night:.

1.7.30 7.30 report with the issue you noted.
2.8.00 Australian story about a young couple & the refugee issue
3.8..30 Four Corners

The issue you noted needs a separate thread.

This is directly related to (and not limited to)

1. the disgraceful & shameful 2-3 billion of cuts by the current federal government,
2. the lack of staffing because of the cuts,
3. the cutting of red tape,
4. the business of aged care, t
5. the awful policies of the current government with respect to aged care funding removing flexibility to residential service providers,
6. the awful policies of the feds & the last lot of state libs resulting in closures of aged psychiatry facilities,
7. the lack of dementia specific facilities & the co location of people dementia into facilities not designed for people with dementia,
8. the incompetence & greed of some GP"s,
9. the woefully inadequate training & ongoing follow up of those completing mickey-mouse courses in aged care,
10. the exploitation of staff, the lack of accountability & scrutiny of service providers & public access.

All resulting in the abuse we saw exposed on the 7.30 report last night.

David Libra

I dare you to try

PostPosted: Wed Jul 27, 2016 1:43 am

stui magpie wrote:

Not sure anyone's making this a partisan issue. NT Labor are every bit as much of a mess https://blogs.crikey.com.au/northern/2015/08/20/delia-lawrie-and-a-wilful-disregard-of-the-known-facts/

I never used to care much about state/territory politics, but when it comes to criminal justice reform, these are the sorts of people who hold it back.

think positive Libra

Side By Side

PostPosted: Wed Jul 27, 2016 7:41 am

watt price tully wrote:
Morrigu wrote:

Why should you get lambasted?

The only issue I have is not to compare or compete.

What a night on the ABC was Monday night:.

1.7.30 7.30 report with the issue you noted.
2.8.00 Australian story about a young couple & the refugee issue
3.8..30 Four Corners

The issue you noted needs a separate thread.

This is directly related to (and not limited to)

1. the disgraceful & shameful 2-3 billion of cuts by the current federal government,
2. the lack of staffing because of the cuts,
3. the cutting of red tape,
4. the business of aged care, t
5. the awful policies of the current government with respect to aged care funding removing flexibility to residential service providers,
6. the awful policies of the feds & the last lot of state libs resulting in closures of aged psychiatry facilities,
7. the lack of dementia specific facilities & the co location of people dementia into facilities not designed for people with dementia,
8. the incompetence & greed of some GP"s,
9. the woefully inadequate training & ongoing follow up of those completing mickey-mouse courses in aged care,
10. the exploitation of staff, the lack of accountability & scrutiny of service providers & public access.

All resulting in the abuse we saw exposed on the 7.30 report last night.

Agree with both of you.

But I'll add the closure of care facilities for those with psychological conditions. Just how many homeless, how many in jail, really need medical intervention, or guidance?

Don't get me started on those dodgy aged care workers. Having them speak English so they can communicate with patients would be a good start.

Re the pay of those guards, what kind of training/education if any, do they get?

Skids Cancer

Quitting drinking will be one of the best choices you make in your life.

PostPosted: Wed Jul 27, 2016 10:22 am

http://www.ntnews.com.au/news/northern-territory/teen-bashed-people-and-tried-to-run-over-a-cop/news-story/1e1354f764011bb8afdd2ae06671a8d0

Not in any way condoning the behaviour of the prison guards but the kid in the hood footage is a piece of garbage.

think positive Libra

Side By Side

PostPosted: Wed Jul 27, 2016 10:53 am

Skids wrote:
http://www.ntnews.com.au/news/northern-territory/teen-bashed-people-and-tried-to-run-over-a-cop/news-story/1e1354f764011bb8afdd2ae06671a8d0

Not in any way condoning the behaviour of the prison guards but the kid in the hood footage is a piece of garbage.

I think it's a fair bet most of the inmates are criminals!

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index -> Victoria Park Tavern All times are GMT + 11 Hours

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
Page 2 of 5   

Jump to: