Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index
 The RulesThe Rules FAQFAQ
   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   CalendarCalendar   SearchSearch 

300 Club - So few Pies

Users browsing this topic:0 Registered, 0 Hidden and 0 Guests
Registered Users: None

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index -> General Discussion

Goto page Previous  1, 2
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Albert Parker 

PostPosted: Tue Jul 26, 2016 11:53 am
Post subject: Reply with quote

300 game players would typically have played in a few finals to help the annual tallies.

Bucks wasn't helped by the delayed start to his career as a mature ager of sorts. 280 AFL games and 37 for Port Adelaide prior to that.

Happy birthday to our coach btw.

jackcass Cancer

PostPosted: Tue Jul 26, 2016 12:51 pm

Pies4shaw wrote:
Marcus Ashcroft won flags in his 268th, 293rd and 318th games.

I've run out of puff - but it's fair to say that it's a lot more common than I thought. My perception before I started looking was that the ranks of the 300+ were full of good players in poor teams.

I think you've got too much time on your hands!
jackcass Cancer

PostPosted: Tue Jul 26, 2016 12:54 pm

Albert Parker wrote:
300 game players would typically have played in a few finals to help the annual tallies.

Bucks wasn't helped by the delayed start to his career as a mature ager of sorts. 280 AFL games and 37 for Port Adelaide prior to that.

Happy birthday to our coach btw.

Exactly, Mitchell for example probably got to the 300 a year ahead of schedule due to the 22 finals games he's played.
Pies4shaw Leo

pies4shaw

PostPosted: Tue Jul 26, 2016 1:23 pm

Mitchell started about a year younger than Buckley. He's only played a dozen more finals than Bucks did. The real difference is that he hasn't had many significant injuries that have cost him games - he's averaged 20 games per season over his career (including his first, 9-game year and the present incomplete one), whereas Bucks was very durable until the end of 2003 but then missed around half the available games over his last 4 seasons.
Pies4shaw Leo

pies4shaw

PostPosted: Tue Jul 26, 2016 1:28 pm

jackcass wrote:
Pies4shaw wrote:
Marcus Ashcroft won flags in his 268th, 293rd and 318th games.

I've run out of puff - but it's fair to say that it's a lot more common than I thought. My perception before I started looking was that the ranks of the 300+ were full of good players in poor teams.

I think you've got too much time on your hands!

Well, obviously! I'm sick in bed, using football stats to take my mind off how awful I feel. Laughing
Albert Parker 

PostPosted: Tue Jul 26, 2016 2:32 pm

Pies4shaw wrote:
Mitchell started about a year younger than Buckley. He's only played a dozen more finals than Bucks did. The real difference is that he hasn't had many significant injuries that have cost him games - he's averaged 20 games per season over his career (including his first, 9-game year and the present incomplete one), whereas Bucks was very durable until the end of 2003 but then missed around half the available games over his last 4 seasons.

So Bucks played 280 games + 12 finals + one more season (which he would have been selected for every game) = 300+

My note re players reaching 300 and finals was not Buckley specific but a generalised observation versus someone else's presumption that 300 gamers were generally hardy battlers who played at less successful clubs.

HAL 

Please don't shout at me - I can't help it.

PostPosted: Tue Jul 26, 2016 2:35 pm

How much more could it be?
Pies4shaw Leo

pies4shaw

PostPosted: Tue Jul 26, 2016 2:59 pm

Albert Parker wrote:
Pies4shaw wrote:

So Bucks played 280 games + 12 finals + one more season (which he would have been selected for every game) = 300+

My note re players reaching 300 and finals was not Buckley specific but a generalised observation versus someone else's presumption that 300 gamers were generally hardy battlers who played at less successful clubs.

Ok. My comment was prompted by jackcass' about Mitchell's finals.
Presti35 Virgo

Dick Lee for Legend Status

PostPosted: Tue Jul 26, 2016 11:20 pm

I remember looking at this a while back (theres a thread on here somewhere) about out top 100 players in order of games played vs other teams.

How many have played in Grand Finals? IIRC, all except Sav and Paul Williams who played in one with Sydney.

And you look at the Dogs, Saints, Swans, etc top 100 players, hardly any of them have played in the big dance.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index -> General Discussion All times are GMT + 11 Hours

Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2   

Jump to: