Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index
 The RulesThe Rules FAQFAQ
   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   CalendarCalendar   SearchSearch 

Player wise, what are our biggest weaknesses?

Users browsing this topic:0 Registered, 0 Hidden and 0 Guests
Registered Users: None

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index -> General Discussion

Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next
View previous topic :: View next topic  
RudeBoy 

PostPosted: Sun Jul 24, 2016 1:11 pm
Post subject: Player wise, what are our biggest weaknesses?Reply with quote

Putting aside arguments about our coaching, I think it's useful to gauge where our biggest on-field weaknesses lie, since this should give us an indication of whether we are likely to improve significantly over the next couple of years.

FWIW, here's my 3 areas of significant weakness:

1. Ruck - though Grundy is the best ruckman for his age, his inability to consistently win hit centre square taps is making it very hard for our mids. He also does not take many contested marks. Realistically we haven't had winning ruckman since Jolly in 2010.

2. Key forward - I've been a long time critic, since 2011, of Cloke, so it's no surprise that I consider his deterioration as a major cause of our team's woes. Moore is still a couple of years away from having the physical strength and engine to assume a dominant key forward role. Who knows if Cox will ever be good enough? Obviously, we also desperately need a genuine fast crumbing forward full of X-factor as well. It's a long shot that Josh Daicos and/or Callum Brown can fill this void.

3. Big, strong midfielder - we need a strong bodied, big, tough midfielder, with pace and skill. Currently our toughest mids, Adams and Greenwood are small. We need real size in there to smash open packs and feed our outside runners. I'm hoping De Goey will grow into this role.

Until we can find solutions to these significant problem areas, I predict we will remain outside of finals contention.
Brenny 

PostPosted: Sun Jul 24, 2016 1:18 pm
Post subject: Reply with quote

First thing, I have to admit I was wrong about Reg Grundy. Well done to the lad, he's been brilliant.

I can't pin point what our biggest problem is. We have played two outstanding games of footy this year and then we go with the undisciplined shit like Friday night.

I honestly don't know what we need. One week they're awesome then the next Eight they're rubbish.

courtza 

PostPosted: Sun Jul 24, 2016 1:22 pm

2 and 3 are the biggest concerns.

You need a couple of key forwards which Darcy can be 1 in time but thats it really. Apart from Cox who is a maybe we have no one on our list.

The only hope for a big bodied mid is Degoey unless Wills can step up.

If I was drafting players I'd be looking for a Darling/ Stringer type size player who can play back or forward.

Reid would be great down forward but we cant fill the void down back.
Raw Hammer 

PostPosted: Sun Jul 24, 2016 1:32 pm

Skills.
Smarts.
Unfortunately, you can't teach these things, so we are stuck with a dumb, clanger-laden team.

A genuine F50 crumber wouldn't go astray as well. Is Matera from GCS out of contract?

Pies4shaw Leo

pies4shaw

PostPosted: Sun Jul 24, 2016 1:33 pm

We lack a coach. It'd be really, really good to start there. I'd like to see Ratten given a chance - he got more out of Carlton's list than Mick could manage and he has been closely involved with Hawthorn. I am genuinely unsure how much of the apparent player-personnel deficiencies at Collingwood are down to the players and how much is down to coaching. What I do know is that the Club was obviously rocked by the Carlton loss earlier in the season (as it should have been) but the waters seem to have covered over that particular shipwreck without a trace. Collingwood expected to play finals this year and has very seriously underperformed (that is, against its own expectations). If we lack adequate players, it is because the deliberate recruiting strategy implemented over the last 5 off-seasons has been a dismal flop. This was supposed to be a quick rebuild and I supported that - but it is starting to look more like a slow disintegration and a dismal waste of the careers of some of the greatest talent that has ever worn the black and white.
-----------------------

<Please re-read the topic heading - Bbmods>
doriswilgus 

PostPosted: Sun Jul 24, 2016 1:37 pm

Lack of pace around the ground,it kills us every time.North Melbourne are not a quick side by any means,yet we made them look like greyhounds the other night. There are too many plodders in this team,and not enough players with flair and pace.
Raw Hammer 

PostPosted: Sun Jul 24, 2016 1:45 pm

Perceived 'pace' comes from having structure and a set up where everyone knows where to be one step ahead. I implore people to watch other teams play, even live, and see how when in defence they already have 1, 2, and 3 players set up behind the ball and wide so there is always an option to break loose. We simply ball watch and ball chase and have no spread. It beggars belief, particularly when Simpson, Richardson, Pyke and Beveridgs have had less years years with their respective squads than Buckley.
neil Sagittarius

PostPosted: Sun Jul 24, 2016 2:36 pm

experience will help as will better luck with injuries

Another quality ruckman will help White is average Witts is injured and Gault is nothing Cox is not the answer either as a ruckman or forward

Mids DeGoey needs time and a couple of preseasons Wills Sier are potential

Forwards a decent KPF to go with Moore ideally Cloke if he can keep his head out of his arse Elliot playing helps

Donny Aries

Formerly known as MAGFAN8.

PostPosted: Sun Jul 24, 2016 2:48 pm

Simple. A CHF !!

It's a game. Enjoy it. Very Happy
simon tonna 

PostPosted: Sun Jul 24, 2016 3:07 pm

a high marking straight kicking tap winning ruck.

a captain who can guide/coach players on the park.

a smarter sidebottom.

Pies4shaw Leo

pies4shaw

PostPosted: Sun Jul 24, 2016 3:09 pm

If you had a smarter Sidebottom, that would be like having a 7' tall Daicos.
simon tonna 

PostPosted: Sun Jul 24, 2016 3:26 pm

^^nah my smarter sidebottom would allow me to shit on the run
Piesnchess 

piesnchess

PostPosted: Sun Jul 24, 2016 3:33 pm

Cenrte half Back, yes we have Reid, but I don't think Brown is as good as he used to be

Chess and Vodka are born brothers. - Russian proverb.
rand corp 

PostPosted: Sun Jul 24, 2016 3:41 pm

Injuries have robbed us of certain players and types this season but here is my take

Key Forwards: Cloke past his best, White never quite living up to potential, Moore not there yet, Cox still a project.

Crumbing forward: A genuinely nippy, silky, goal machine we have not had for some time, (Krakouer)

Genuine Goal Kicking Half Forward Flankers, Elliot out all year and Howe down back has robbed us in this area I feel.

Ruck: We have struggled to get support around Grundy who is a real trier.

Center Bounce: The most disturbing area of all, despite having a abundance of talent here: Pendles, Adams, Treloar, Greenwood, Crisp, DeGoey, Aish, Sidebottom, We get regularly smashed at the center clearance, especially in first quarters. Time for reputations to be put aside here and realize that only results count

Backline has had a really rough run with Langdon, Shaz, Ramsay, Williams, Sinclair all missing large junks or whole seasons of footy. Brown and Tooves showing signs of ageing, Frost and Ox dropping off. If we could get all these guys fit and firing along with Marsh, Reid then I am confident we have a solid back six.

Wings: Varcoe has been a shadow of his last season form and is not a long term solution. Steele does well but lacks pace, Aish looks more comfortable in the middle than out on a wing, likewise Crisp and DeGoey. Broomhead is another who looks lost anywhere but in the middle.

Call it a pessimists view if you like but to me it is why we are at the wrong end of the ladder as we come into the pointy end of the year.
RudeBoy 

PostPosted: Sun Jul 24, 2016 4:01 pm

Yeah, that's pretty much my view as well. Let's hope we get those 'new' defenders in Scharenberg, Ramsay and Keeffe up and about next year. also, we'd better hope like hell that both Moore and Cox improve significantly, because we don't really have any other key forward options.

Both Treloar and Adams should be even better next year, and if De Goey starts to deliver on his potential, we should be fine around the midfield. To me, that means we still need ruck support for Grundy (though Cox may improve in that area) and we urgently need a small crumbing forward.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index -> General Discussion All times are GMT + 11 Hours

Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next
Page 1 of 3   

Jump to: