Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index
 The RulesThe Rules FAQFAQ
   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   CalendarCalendar   SearchSearch 

How far could "this" team go in 2017?

Users browsing this topic:0 Registered, 0 Hidden and 0 Guests
Registered Users: None

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index -> General Discussion

Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Sir Alan of Didak Virgo

PostPosted: Wed Jul 27, 2016 1:36 pm
Post subject: How far could "this" team go in 2017?Reply with quote

B. Maynard Brown Marsh
HB. Langdon Reid Scharanberg
C. Aish Treloar Crisp
HF. Howe Moore Sidebottom
F. Fasolo Cloke Elliot

Rucks: Grundy, Pendlebury, Adams

Inter: De Goey, Varcoe, Greenwood, Keefe

Emer: Williams, Smith, White

Unknown ???: Swan

I look at this side and dream BIG. Could seriously do damage and looks a genuine TOP 4 team.

The depth is outstanding and I dare say we have the best bracket of 26-41 ranked players of all the AFL clubs...Ramsey, Frost, Goldsack, Oxley, Sinclair, Broomhead, Thomas, Blair, Wills, Toovey, Cox, Macaffer, Crocker, Phillips and untried first round draft pick Sier.

In many respects, the weakness of our list goes hand-in-hand with its strength...that the 26-41 bracket players are very, very similiar in ability to those outside of our top 6-8. We need more players going from "Average" to "Above Average" and then more players going from "Above Average" to "Elite". The mechanics of Buckley's list are in place...the improvement must come from within and ultimately, this is what will define his tenure. A coach that was provided and helped put together a wonderful list. A coach that either was or wasn't able to develop and maximise the talent at his disposal. Surely next year it's finals or bust for Bux. I just hope he can get his preferred team on the park more weeks than most.

Outside of this Top 41, next year's two father-sons (Daicos + Brown) provide some optimism.

Keefe looms as a key plank, particularly if he can kick 25-30 goals and provide adequate ruck relief for Grundy. This enables us to settle Reid and Moore in the key CHB/CHF positions.

"If" Swan both plays on and returns to his best for another season or two, could it be the icing on the (Premiership) cake?

Last edited by Sir Alan of Didak on Sun Jul 31, 2016 2:42 pm; edited 27 times in total
RudeBoy 

PostPosted: Wed Jul 27, 2016 1:57 pm
Post subject: Reply with quote

Not very far with Cloke imho.
MP magpie 

PostPosted: Wed Jul 27, 2016 2:21 pm

8th if cards fall our way.

*assuming current coach remains.
Bob Sugar 

PostPosted: Wed Jul 27, 2016 2:25 pm

14th.

On the day before the first, Daicos created God.

You like this.
magpieazza 

magpieazza

PostPosted: Wed Jul 27, 2016 2:26 pm

Honestly, No.

But if Swan is fit and we don't get too many injuries, then we could but in an ideal world we would still further need....

1. Another elite onballer with elite kicking skills.

2. Hurley.

These two would be akin to getting Ball/Jolly. ( I still have faith in Grundy)

The Boy Who Cried Wolf 

PostPosted: Wed Jul 27, 2016 2:38 pm

We could make the finals, just, but unlikely as the current wind blows. I can't see us challenging for a flag in any foreseeable timeframe.
Stinger 

PostPosted: Wed Jul 27, 2016 2:52 pm

It's not the OP team that I'm interested in...it's the B Grade team that has to take the park after this team is decimated by injuries come the 2nd NAB game that we need to focus on. How that team fares will determine our 2017 prospects.
Pies4shaw Leo

pies4shaw

PostPosted: Wed Jul 27, 2016 3:00 pm

Hopeless, one-paced midfield. Yesterday and today I have been watching games from 1996 and 1997. We couldn't get anywhere with a midfield boasting Russell, Francis, Buckley, Williams, McGuane, Wright, Brown and Crosisca (and Burns playing at half-back) even with the twin Rocca towers tearing some games up in the second year. Why would this one do any better? Until we get some line-breaking speed and skill of the Russell/Wright/Brown/McGuane/Buckley variety into the side and a coaching team that understands how to use them, I fear this team is going nowhere.

More specifically, extreme improvement would be required of all of the following for that Collingwood team to be competitive: Maynard, Scharenberg, Varcoe, Treloar, Crisp, Moore, Cox (Cloke won't be an option because he'll be playing for the premiers), De Goey, Oxley, Greenwood and Keeffe. And that assumes that Swan plays on and that Elliott and Ramsay can pick straight up where they left off. Personally, that looks like an 8 to 12 win (depending on how soft our draw is) team to me, at best.

I hope I'm wrong but, having put on games from the Tony Shaw Years with the hope of convincing myself that we're better placed now than we were then, I have reached the opposite conclusion. There is less elite talent in the present team and the game plan we use now makes many of our good footballers look ordinary. Seriously, old whipping boys like Jason Wild and Patto used the ball much better than many of our present regular starters - that isn't hyperbole: I've been seeing it with my own eyes, despite my expectations and recollections to the contrary.
Pebbles Rocks 

PostPosted: Wed Jul 27, 2016 3:10 pm

Oxley will be trade bait
Swan won't play on and if he does he will be a shadow of his former self. He has barely walked let alone run in the last 4 months
Sharenberg and Ramsay are coming off ACL's and it takes another 12 months to recover full confidence, agility etc

At the end of the day our skills even with a full list are middle of the road. 7th-12th is where we will stay unless we find at least one small forward who is feared. Whorks have 3 of them.

Sir Alan of Didak Virgo

PostPosted: Wed Jul 27, 2016 3:24 pm

In my opinion, Hawthorn (clearly) and perhaps West Coast have the best forward lines in the comp

This is how the above-mentioned team would stack up, "player v player v player" in the forward line:

J.Howe - Gunstan - J.Hill

Elliot - Rioli - J.Cripps

Sidebottom - Puopolo - Yeo

Fasolo - Breust - Le Cras

Cloke - Sicily - Kennedy

Moore - Shoenmakers - Darling

Keefe - Ceglar - Lycett

Last edited by Sir Alan of Didak on Wed Jul 27, 2016 5:14 pm; edited 1 time in total
The_Staunton Virgo

PostPosted: Wed Jul 27, 2016 4:03 pm

We won't be a flag contender for 3+ years, even if everything went right...

That them? Paddling around 8-14 again...

doriswilgus 

PostPosted: Wed Jul 27, 2016 4:21 pm

Pies4shaw wrote:
Hopeless, one-paced midfield. Yesterday and today I have been watching games from 1996 and 1997. We couldn't get anywhere with a midfield boasting Russell, Francis, Buckley, Williams, McGuane, Wright, Brown and Crosisca (and Burns playing at half-back) even with the twin Rocca towers tearing some games up in the second year. Why would this one do any better? Until we get some line-breaking speed and skill of the Russell/Wright/Brown/McGuane/Buckley variety into the side and a coaching team that understands how to use them, I fear this team is going nowhere.

More specifically, extreme improvement would be required of all of the following for that Collingwood team to be competitive: Maynard, Scharenberg, Varcoe, Treloar, Crisp, Moore, Cox (Cloke won't be an option because he'll be playing for the premiers), De Goey, Oxley, Greenwood and Keeffe. And that assumes that Swan plays on and that Elliott and Ramsay can pick straight up where they left off. Personally, that looks like an 8 to 12 win (depending on how soft our draw is) team to me, at best.

I hope I'm wrong but, having put on games from the Tony Shaw Years with the hope of convincing myself that we're better placed now than we were then, I have reached the opposite conclusion. There is less elite talent in the present team and the game plan we use now makes many of our good footballers look ordinary. Seriously, old whipping boys like Jason Wild and Patto used the ball much better than many of our present regular starters - that isn't hyperbole: I've been seeing it with my own eyes, despite my expectations and recollections to the contrary.

You forgot to mention Sidebottom needing to step up.If he could cut out those dinky little left foot passes that always go straight to the opposition he could become a pretty decent player, Smile
Pies4shaw Leo

pies4shaw

PostPosted: Wed Jul 27, 2016 4:46 pm

I should have noticed that the Future Captain is not in this side. Langdon immediately improves it, of course, but it still lacks midfield class outside of the two stars.
Piesnchess 

piesnchess

PostPosted: Wed Jul 27, 2016 4:53 pm

With a good run with injuries, at long bloody last,we definitely are Finals bound next season, but we must start well, try to win at least four outa the first six games, and finish around sixth I reckon. The following season, the Prelim, after that, sky is the limit, one can dream. !

Chess and Vodka are born brothers. - Russian proverb.
Sir Alan of Didak Virgo

PostPosted: Wed Jul 27, 2016 5:16 pm

Pies4shaw wrote:
I should have noticed that the Future Captain is not in this side. Langdon immediately improves it, of course, but it still lacks midfield class outside of the two stars.

Completely forgot about Langdon and agree that he's in our very best side. I also forgot about Marsh, who will serve us better in theory than Frost as the necessary 3rd key back. Team has been amended. Howe comes forward. Oxley goes out, as does Swannie who seems more likely at this stage to retire.

Last edited by Sir Alan of Didak on Wed Jul 27, 2016 5:33 pm; edited 4 times in total
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index -> General Discussion All times are GMT + 11 Hours

Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next
Page 1 of 3   

Jump to: