Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index
 The RulesThe Rules FAQFAQ
   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   CalendarCalendar   SearchSearch 

man shoots neighbor's cat. OK or not?

Users browsing this topic:0 Registered, 0 Hidden and 0 Guests
Registered Users: None

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index -> Victoria Park Tavern

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
View previous topic :: View next topic  

Was shooting the cat acceptable?
Yes
53%
 53%  [ 8 ]
No
46%
 46%  [ 7 ]
Other (please comment)
0%
 0%  [ 0 ]
Total Votes : 15

HAL 

Please don't shout at me - I can't help it.

PostPosted: Sat Jul 23, 2016 9:38 pm
Post subject: Reply with quote

Are we still talking about [quote] Correct?
5150 Sagittarius

PostPosted: Sat Jul 23, 2016 9:56 pm

He just sounds like an asshole, he'd find all his flora and fauna poisoned if it was my cat.
Pies4shaw Leo

pies4shaw

PostPosted: Sat Jul 23, 2016 10:01 pm

Is he related to the folk who have decided to deal with a feral goat problem by releasing dingoes who will be poisoned on time-delay after they have got rid of the goats? Evil things, people.
The Prototype Virgo

Paint my face with a good-for-nothin smile.

PostPosted: Sat Jul 23, 2016 10:16 pm

stui magpie wrote:
^

I knew a bloke 30+ years ago who used to trap cats, he used rabbit traps baited with cat food.

Wasn't exactly cleaner, quicker or less cruel than shooting them.

My old neighbour did this as well, with people's pets. He would set them up in his backyard and have them baited. It wasn't very nice. To me that was just asking for the animals to get into his yard, and get caught and he would have them taken away.

He caught a couple of dogs that way as well, he once had a go at us about a cat that we never owned.

As for the question I think the guy was right sadly in shooting the cat, if that was his only option to keep local wildlife and stuff protected from being attacked by the cat.

Though I'd have hoped there was something else he could have done, if there was no other option then fair enough.

I like cats, but feral cats are indeed a problem to local wildlife, and even some house pets can be a danger as well with the breeding with them, and other stuff. So it's a bit of a difficult decision to do.

https://www.facebook.com/davehardingphotography
https://www.facebook.com/Davage
David Libra

I dare you to try

PostPosted: Sat Jul 23, 2016 10:17 pm

Interesting question, Stui. The law is the law, but what's interesting here is the broader ethical implications of the act – and that boils down to a single question, which is, how should we think of the cat?

a) as a creature with 'personhood', with the right to life that that entails?
b) as a creature with very limited rights, such as the right to not be treated with undue cruelty?
or, c) as a mere possession owned by the next door neighbour (that is, its rights only matter insofar as the owner is affected by its death)?

To categorise these views, you might say a) is the animal rights view advocated for by Peter Singer and others, b) is reflected by the legal status quo and c) is the way animals were traditionally viewed before animal cruelty laws began to be enforced.

Let's start with b) first. If our main concern is cruelty, then it probably cannot be said that the cat was killed any more cruelly than a cow or a pig in an abattoir. We place far more social worth on domesticated animals like cats and dogs, but ethically speaking there's no justifiable reason to place them on a higher pedestal (and, indeed, when it comes time for feral cat culls, they are effectively treated as expendable). So if we're happy with pigs being shot in the head en masse so we can eat bacon, it would be remarkably hypocritical to complain about the same thing happening to a cat.

But of course, to the owner, this wasn't just any cat – it was perhaps his most prized and loved possession. And this is where c) kicks in, and the fine starts to seem appropriate. But I think it's worth asking whether we can really still justifiably treat animals like objects when we know for a fact that they are sentient beings with memory, desires, subjective experience of the world and ability to feel pleasure and pain. And that's why Singer's idea of 'speciesism' remains so compelling, because, as he points out, there's really no conceivable ethical justification for treating these living creatures like objects (as we still do, in so many areas of laws).

And that's where we get to a). If, as animal rights activists argue, we need to recognise the personhood of animals, then obviously there could be no justification for shooting a person for walking on your property. Or could there be? Because if a cat's life matters, then so do all the native animals, and the guy could perhaps justifiably claim an act of self-defence on behalf of his animals.

So, however you look at it, I don't think you could argue for a harsher penalty or greater ethical condemnation for what he did. If his animals were in genuine danger and the cat wasn't caused undue pain, it wasn't clearly wrong of him to do it.

Pies4shaw Leo

pies4shaw

PostPosted: Sat Jul 23, 2016 10:44 pm

Scum sucking bastard. It's a pity the gun didn't accidentally blow his pathetic head off.
Tannin Capricorn

Can't remember

PostPosted: Sat Jul 23, 2016 10:51 pm

The judge screwed up, big time.

1: Landholders have the right to control feral pest species on their property. You don't need permission, or a permit of any kind. It is your right. *

2: You as the landholder can be prosecuted for failing to control feral species. (This certainly applies to certain declared plant species I know about, I'm not sure which if any animals are included. Failing to control pest animal species will certainly make you a pariah amongst your neighbours - people get really shirty with a landholder who refuses to control ferals and buggers things up for everybody else.)

3: Cats are a feral pest.

4: Pet owners are required by law to keep their pets under control and, where appropriate, restrict them to the boundaries of their own property.

5: Landholders have the legal right to destroy animals which are worrying their livestock. A landholder can, for example, shoot a dog if (according to that landholder) it is worrying his sheep. This applies even if the animal is a pet and wearing a collar. **

6: The cat in question was not wearing a collar to identify it as a pet, and was thus indistinguishable from a feral animal. This is the pet owner's responsibility and he failed to discharge it.

Summary: no case to answer. That judge should be strung up on a predator-proof fence.

* Of course, the method you use must itself be legal. For example, to use phostoxin to fumigate rabbit burrows, you must hold a current Agricultural Chemical User's Permit; to use a rifle you must be suitably licenced for it; to use 1080 you must have a 1080 endorsement on your permit and follow the prescribed procedures, and so on.

** I have personal experience with this one - a scumbag neighbour once deliberately left fresh sheep offal lying around on his land to entice my partner's dog onto his property so that he could shoot it. There was no question of the dog harming his livestock, but the police could do absolutely nothing about it, other than inspect his shooting licence. (He hid his automatic weapons before they called, of course.)

Tannin Capricorn

Can't remember

PostPosted: Sat Jul 23, 2016 10:52 pm

Pies4shaw wrote:
Is he related to the folk who have decided to deal with a feral goat problem by releasing dingoes who will be poisoned on time-delay after they have got rid of the goats? Evil things, people.

So, Archimedies, how would you deal with it?

watt price tully Scorpio

PostPosted: Sat Jul 23, 2016 11:08 pm

I'm a cat & dog man but I support the bloke shooting the cat - (cat owners me included need to responsible for their cats - I place responsibility in part with the owners)

This guy (below - John Wamsley) used to wear a dead cat as a hat & he also set up & managed "Earth Sanctuaries" about 100,000 hectares of protected land (cat free) to assit native flora & fauna:

http://www.abc.net.au/landline/content/2005/s1330004.htm

Last edited by watt price tully on Sat Jul 23, 2016 11:12 pm; edited 1 time in total
Skids Cancer

Quitting drinking will be one of the best choices you make in your life.

PostPosted: Sat Jul 23, 2016 11:11 pm

Morrigu wrote:
Skids wrote:
I hate cats. Shoot on sight!

What if you and your ilk could race them to make a few bucks and " be a winner" Rolling Eyes

Oh and look up the stats re the damage done to native wildlife and farmed livestock by feral domestic breed dogs - that result ( as do cats) from humans irresponsible behaviour!!!

What a strange response Confused I've never been involved with greyhound racing, nor was the question of feral dogs raised.

watt price tully Scorpio

PostPosted: Sat Jul 23, 2016 11:13 pm

Pies4shaw wrote:

You were watching ABC news too tonight I see - bloody leftie Wink

Morrigu Capricorn

PostPosted: Sat Jul 23, 2016 11:29 pm

Skids wrote:
Morrigu wrote:
Skids wrote:
I hate cats. Shoot on sight!

What if you and your ilk could race them to make a few bucks and " be a winner" Rolling Eyes

Oh and look up the stats re the damage done to native wildlife and farmed livestock by feral domestic breed dogs - that result ( as do cats) from humans irresponsible behaviour!!!

What a strange response Confused I've never been involved with greyhound racing, nor was the question of feral dogs raised.

You race horses don't you?

Feral domestic breed dogs cause as much if not more damage to our native animals as cats and in addition they kill many livestock - you proposed an argument to shoot cats on sight because of the damage they inflict - well it ain't just cats and if stupid fckhead humans actually took some responsibility ( fat chance!!) then we wouldn't have so many feral cats or dogs 😈

Strangely enough I've sutured many many more wounds from naughty naughty dogs attacking humans including rug rats in suburbia and the outback than I have ever from cats!!!!

think positive Libra

Side By Side

PostPosted: Sun Jul 24, 2016 8:54 am

Tannin wrote:
The judge screwed up, big time.

1: Landholders have the right to control feral pest species on their property. You don't need permission, or a permit of any kind. It is your right. *

2: You as the landholder can be prosecuted for failing to control feral species. (This certainly applies to certain declared plant species I know about, I'm not sure which if any animals are included. Failing to control pest animal species will certainly make you a pariah amongst your neighbours - people get really shirty with a landholder who refuses to control ferals and buggers things up for everybody else.)

3: Cats are a feral pest.

4: Pet owners are required by law to keep their pets under control and, where appropriate, restrict them to the boundaries of their own property.

5: Landholders have the legal right to destroy animals which are worrying their livestock. A landholder can, for example, shoot a dog if (according to that landholder) it is worrying his sheep. This applies even if the animal is a pet and wearing a collar. **

6: The cat in question was not wearing a collar to identify it as a pet, and was thus indistinguishable from a feral animal. This is the pet owner's responsibility and he failed to discharge it.

Summary: no case to answer. That judge should be strung up on a predator-proof fence.

* Of course, the method you use must itself be legal. For example, to use phostoxin to fumigate rabbit burrows, you must hold a current Agricultural Chemical User's Permit; to use a rifle you must be suitably licenced for it; to use 1080 you must have a 1080 endorsement on your permit and follow the prescribed procedures, and so on.

** I have personal experience with this one - a scumbag neighbour once deliberately left fresh sheep offal lying around on his land to entice my partner's dog onto his property so that he could shoot it. There was no question of the dog harming his livestock, but the police could do absolutely nothing about it, other than inspect his shooting licence. (He hid his automatic weapons before they called, of course.)

Hmm well researched post.

On another level, was there a reason he was trigger happy? Had it been a problem? Was something getting into his sanctuary? Good point about the collar, though if he could sight such a small fast moving object, did he note the cat was in good nick? Most feral cats don't have a glossy regularly fed look I'd think. It's amazing to me how many lost and found add pets don't have a collar, and are not chipped. (My elderly dog doesn't wear his collar now, but he's also almost blind, and he won't go out the front now, unless I call him. )

If the neighbours house is 100m away, were they friendly? Did he know they had a cat? Shooting as the first option (or had he tried to catch it) seems a little gung-ho in such a stricl gun control country. But these are obviously moral, not legal questions. Does make you wonder though, what the next court case between these neighbours might be about.

I had a neighbour at our last house with a cat she refused to keep in. I made the mistake of approaching her in a really nice way, and asking her to keep it in. She said cats are very sensitive, and it's not healthy to lock them up. I said well so are people, we need our sleep, it comes over and sits at our bedroom window. She said "I hear your bloody dogs all night" I said"they are barking at your cat!" It improved a little, but eventually we got a cat trap and stuck it near our window. We never caught it, but it seemed to get the message.

Our neighbours cat roams a bit, but ifor some reason the dogs don't bark at it it got attacked by a dog passing a couple of years ago, thousands in vet bills, but they still let it roam!

I don't like cats, but his seems a little harsh if he didn't have prior problems with it and you have to wonder what happens now.

Tannin Capricorn

Can't remember

PostPosted: Sun Jul 24, 2016 9:04 am

Morrigu wrote:
Feral domestic breed dogs cause as much if not more damage to our native animals as cats

Completely wrong I'm afraid. Cats are far, far worse than dogs. There is any amount of evidence on this and no-one with relevant expertise would support such an outlandish view.

Rating ferals from worst to least-worst, cats are #2 after foxes. They used to be regarded as #1 by many experts but the evidence no longer supports that view. Foxes are even worse. Both are well ahead of rabbits. Rabbits? Yes. They are not predators but they destroy the cover that small animals need to hide from cats and foxes. They are regarded as a serious factor, not least because they provide year-round feed for foxes and cats, keeping predator numbers high and preventing the the normal predator-prey balance from restoring itself.

(In a normal, healthy ecosystem, when predators drive prey species numbers low, the predators start to die off for lack of food. This gives the prey species a chance to recover and the balance is restored. The constant availability of rabbits in Australia means that fox and cat numbers remain high all the time, and the last few members of an endangered species have no chance to breed up again.)

Dogs do harm too, but far less than foxes and cats, and some kinds of dog, on balance, do more good than harm. The Dingo (which is of course a kind of dog) has unquestionably saved dozens of species from extinction. Dingos dislike foxes and actively try to exterminate them - with a good deal of success as a rule; foxes are rare or absent everywhere where Dingos have been allowed to remain. Dingoes also keep cat numbers down. And it is foxes and cats which cause extinctions.(Between them, foxes and cats are responsible for about 95% of all mammal extinctions in Australia over the last 200 years.)

Domesticated dogs (be they pets or feral individuals) are not dingos, of course, and behave differently in a number of ways. Nevertheless, they do some good alongside the unquestioned harm they do. On balance, they generally do more harm then good, but they are very much minor league players in the slaughter championship.

Tannin Capricorn

Can't remember

PostPosted: Sun Jul 24, 2016 9:12 am

Yes, he sounds a bit gung-ho. If the cat had been wearing a collar, it would be much harder to justify his action.

Feral cats, in my experience, can be mangy-looking things or pictures of glossy-coated health. You seem to see the mangy ones in the cities mostly. In the bush, only the fittest creatures survive.

PS: emotion doesn't come into this. It's about facts. But for the record, I don't much care for dogs as a rule, and I am very fond of cats.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index -> Victoria Park Tavern All times are GMT + 11 Hours

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Page 2 of 4   

Jump to: