Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index
 The RulesThe Rules FAQFAQ
   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   CalendarCalendar   SearchSearch 

man shoots neighbor's cat. OK or not?

Users browsing this topic:0 Registered, 0 Hidden and 0 Guests
Registered Users: None

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index -> Victoria Park Tavern

Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4  Next
View previous topic :: View next topic  

Was shooting the cat acceptable?
Yes
53%
 53%  [ 8 ]
No
46%
 46%  [ 7 ]
Other (please comment)
0%
 0%  [ 0 ]
Total Votes : 15

stui magpie Gemini

Prepare for the worst, hope for the best.

PostPosted: Sat Jul 23, 2016 6:15 pm
Post subject: man shoots neighbor's cat. OK or not?Reply with quote

Basically, this bloke has a 5 acre block, he's a conservationist and has spent 40 years turning it into a refuge for native flora and fauna.

See's a cat on his property, shoots it. It was the pet of the neighbour.

Some quotes from the story.

Quote:
On Thursday, Miss Shepherdson and her family watched as the Adelaide Magistrates Court fined Wilson $2000 but spared him a conviction for animal cruelty.

Magistrate Paul Foley said Wilson, a lifelong conservationist, was not the typical offender.

“The typical example involves a person who either grossly neglects an animal or whose motive is to simply cause pain and suffering,” he said.

“I accept you genuinely believed Spock was a threat to native wildlife on your property, particularly bird life.”

Quote:
He shot and killed Spock, 2, on the five-acre Ashton block he and his family have spent 40 years maintaining as a refuge for native flora and fauna.

Spock was microchipped, but not wearing a collar, and the Shepherdsons lived just 100m from Wilson’s home — but he did not ask if the cat was theirs before firing.

Thoughts?

I'm a tad biased in that I'm not a cat person.

I also think if you want to have a cat, and that's cool if you do, keep it inside away from native birds and lizards.

leaving aside the legalities of discharging a fire arm in a built up area (mind you considering he lived on 5 acres and the neighbor's house was 100m away I'm not sure how built up it was) is it fair enough to kill a cat on your property to protect native fauna?

Wokko Pisces

Come and take it.

PostPosted: Sat Jul 23, 2016 6:45 pm
Post subject: Reply with quote

Hard one, I am a cat person and once a cat has a taste for outdoor life you're not going to be able to keep them inside. My cat doesn't go outside and because he never really has I don't cop hours of meowing at the door or anything like that.

People seem to forget that cats aren't like dogs, they don't do what they're told, they pretty much always return home and they don't respect boundaries. Cat runs are incredibly expensive and some cats just wont stay indoors.

In short, no don't kill cats that are on your property unless they're obvious ferals. No collar was an issue of course, but who knows if this guy would respect someone's pet. Better to trap it imo.
stui magpie Gemini

PostPosted: Sat Jul 23, 2016 6:52 pm

^

I knew a bloke 30+ years ago who used to trap cats, he used rabbit traps baited with cat food.

Wasn't exactly cleaner, quicker or less cruel than shooting them.

Pies4shaw Leo

pies4shaw

PostPosted: Sat Jul 23, 2016 6:57 pm

What if the shooter is Islamic?
Wokko Pisces

Come and take it.

PostPosted: Sat Jul 23, 2016 7:15 pm

stui magpie wrote:
^

I knew a bloke 30+ years ago who used to trap cats, he used rabbit traps baited with cat food.

Wasn't exactly cleaner, quicker or less cruel than shooting them.

I meant cage traps and hand it in.
think positive Libra

Side By Side

PostPosted: Sat Jul 23, 2016 7:20 pm

Wokko wrote:
Hard one, I am a cat person and once a cat has a taste for outdoor life you're not going to be able to keep them inside. My cat doesn't go outside and because he never really has I don't cop hours of meowing at the door or anything like that.

People seem to forget that cats aren't like dogs, they don't do what they're told, they pretty much always return home and they don't respect boundaries. Cat runs are incredibly expensive and some cats just wont stay indoors.

In short, no don't kill cats that are on your property unless they're obvious ferals. No collar was an issue of course, but who knows if this guy would respect someone's pet. Better to trap it imo.

I agree, no need to kill it, and I am N O T a cat person!

stui magpie Gemini

PostPosted: Sat Jul 23, 2016 7:28 pm

Pies4shaw wrote:
What if the shooter is Islamic?

Well, cats aren't pork. Dim Sims are halal aren't they?

Morrigu Capricorn

PostPosted: Sat Jul 23, 2016 7:34 pm

Was it the first time he had seen the cat?

If it was he should have tried to catch puss and take him/her to the local vet to see if the owner could be found and the owner told to be more responsible and keep puss contained! He should not of shot the cat if it was the first time he had seen the cat.

Did he know the neighbour had a cat or know that it was the neighbour's cat?

If he did then he should have contacted the neighbour and told them to keep puss contained or else puss may come to harm to protect the native wildlife. And if the owners failed to keep puss safe and contained then he should have shot them as well!!

We built a great run for our girls - lots of grass and ramps etc and they can go safely in and out at their leisure.

When we inherited Sam cat from the neighbours ( cause they bred and didn't look after him Evil or Very Mad) hubby built an enclosed run down the side of the house so that Sam can get in and out of the study where his bed is!

I love cats but owners need to be responsible as they are hunters by nature and left to their own devices they wreak havoc on our small native wildlife and birds - they don't know they are doing the wrong thing!!

Culprit Cancer

PostPosted: Sat Jul 23, 2016 7:40 pm

Cats are predators, if they enter your property and you wish to kill them then it should be your right to kill that Cat. In saying that, the cat is someones pet and I know how pissed I would be if someone killed my pet. Do you really want that animosity with the said neighbour? A man this week was convicted in killing three neighbours over a dispute over dust they created as they drove past his house.
stui magpie Gemini

PostPosted: Sat Jul 23, 2016 7:50 pm

Morrigu wrote:

I love cats but owners need to be responsible as they are hunters by nature and left to their own devices they wreak havoc on our small native wildlife and birds - they don't know they are doing the wrong thing!!

Cats aren't people, they don't have a social conscience so absolutely they don't understand what humans consider right and wrong.

For me, it's not about right or wrong in that sense. It's not like a human who you can argue understands when they're committing a crime, cats are natural predators. The only reason they don't kill humans is they're too small and they have enough bluffed into looking after them

Morrigu Capricorn

PostPosted: Sat Jul 23, 2016 7:58 pm

stui magpie wrote:
Morrigu wrote:

Cats aren't people, they don't have a social conscience so absolutely they don't understand what humans consider right and wrong.

For me, it's not about right or wrong in that sense. It's not like a human who you can argue understands when they're committing a crime, cats are natural predators. The only reason they don't kill humans is they're too small and they have enough bluffed into looking after them

Excuse me - I'll have you know my girls and Sam ( taken a bit longer cause he is a boy!!) understand exactly what is right and wrong in this house Razz

And they are a lot better behaved and a shipload better company than a great many humans! Wink Very Happy

stui magpie Gemini

PostPosted: Sat Jul 23, 2016 8:13 pm

LOL, pay that.

Each to their own. Wink

Skids Cancer

Quitting drinking will be one of the best choices you make in your life.

PostPosted: Sat Jul 23, 2016 9:18 pm

Feral cats kill millions of native animals every night and are found across Australia. At this point in time, there is no effective mechanism for eradicating cats at a landscape level.

However, AWC is at the forefront of efforts to reduce the impact of cats. We are conducting the largest feral cat research program in Australia’s history.
- See more at: http://www.australianwildlife.org/field-programs/feral-cat-research.aspx#sthash.QbOz96Vf.dpuf

I hate cats. Shoot on sight!

stui magpie Gemini

PostPosted: Sat Jul 23, 2016 9:22 pm

Skids wrote:
Feral cats kill millions of native animals every night and are found across Australia. At this point in time, there is no effective mechanism for eradicating cats at a landscape level.

However, AWC is at the forefront of efforts to reduce the impact of cats. We are conducting the largest feral cat research program in Australia’s history.
- See more at: http://www.australianwildlife.org/field-programs/feral-cat-research.aspx#sthash.QbOz96Vf.dpuf

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qY6DxWFgnJc

Cool Wink Laughing

Morrigu Capricorn

PostPosted: Sat Jul 23, 2016 9:34 pm

Skids wrote:

What if you and your ilk could race them to make a few bucks and " be a winner" Rolling Eyes

Oh and look up the stats re the damage done to native wildlife and farmed livestock by feral domestic breed dogs - that result ( as do cats) from humans irresponsible behaviour!!!

Last edited by Morrigu on Sat Jul 23, 2016 9:41 pm; edited 1 time in total
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index -> Victoria Park Tavern All times are GMT + 11 Hours

Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Page 1 of 4   

Jump to: