Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index
 The RulesThe Rules FAQFAQ
   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   CalendarCalendar   SearchSearch 

Bomber wants a gig!! (yes, it's long)

Users browsing this topic:0 Registered, 0 Hidden and 0 Guests
Registered Users: None

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index -> General Discussion

Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next
View previous topic :: View next topic  
35forever 

"I feel sick - dada dada dada da"

PostPosted: Thu Jul 21, 2016 6:16 pm
Post subject: Bomber wants a gig!! (yes, it's long)Reply with quote

As one of the leaders of the Bye-Bye Buckley Brigade, I find it incumbent on me to acknowledge that Buckley has shown some improvement as a coach in the last 4-6 weeks.

That hasnt changed anything of course, 6 weeks out from finals we are a mathematical chance as was the case for the last 4 seasons. Sure, we are approaching from beneath this time rather than above, and that is due to the most abysmal first half of a season since the weeping days of 2005.

So yes, there does appear to have been some improvement, largely on the back of fewer injuries (though losing Faz the week before was critical), and other injured players returning, as well as big improvements from kids like Maynard, Marsh, and Aish. Of course our ridiculous run home - somehow a harder one than the reigning triple premiers, (HUH?) makes the mathematical possibility just that, a numbers game, not good enough in a season where Hawthorn look set to equal our proudest remaining record, the 4 flags in a row, and unless someone pulls off a stunner (and really only Sydney, Geelong and Adelaide are true chances), that record will likely fall in the first week of October, leaving us a very, very long Summer to contemplate Collingwoods fall from its ancient position as the greatest overall team in Footy history, and that in a period which should have seen us cement that spot for another century.
Season 2012 should have produced a record 17th flag, but, our foot having finally healed from the bullet wounds of the 90s, we decided to utterly blow it right off with a .50 cal. and armour piercing rounds in 2011.
Once again we went down the old road of giving the coaching job to a favourite son, and once again it has been an abject failure. Five years on the time has once again arrived to bring in the help of an outsider, and that outsider has just announced he WILL in fact seek a coaching appointment in 2017.

Bomber Thompson is not a stupid man, in fact hes a highly intelligent man with a footy IQ very few can approach. Far more, he has shown time and again that he can get the best out of a group of men. He captained Premiership sides under the great Kevin Sheedy, making him another in the line from Tommy Hafey, (if you were breeding racehorses you would leap on him!).
He has also been responsible for 3 flags at Geelong, their first in many decades. (unless youre one of the 7 muppets who believe that Scott had something to do with the 2011 win, hell, Eddie Mac had more to do with that win than Chris Scott!)
Even more than this resume, he took the drugged up, decimated Essendon side from 11th in 2012 under James Tird, to a remarkable 7th - before the AFL brought the hammer down and tossed them out of finals... Lucky Carlton. But that season they were as tough as theyd been in many years waging a battle with Hawthorn & Geelong for the top spot for most of the season, which their list simply didnt warrant

Bomber is perceived by players as a tough, no-nonsense coach who was one of the premier backs of the 80s and 90s. And a big part of Essendons successes in that time. As coach of Geelong he is second only to Reg Hickey, and that only if you attribute the 2011 flag to Chris Scott (which is ridiculous, its like crediting Buckley for our making the Prelim in 2012), otherwise he equals Hickey. He in fact beats Hickey for finals won (both coached 18, but Hickey coached 40 more games) and overall winning percentage.

With Bomber at the helm, Collingwood WILL rise in 2017, and rise all the way to the top 4 and possibly the Granny. He has a far better list to work with than any of the others, although Hafey had some stars, and he could well be the very catalyst required to bring about the Magpie Dynasty that shouldve begun in 2010 and still be running!
Season 2017 will also mark exactly 100 years since the greatest coach of all time, the great Jock, took us to the first of the 8 flags he brought us, towards the end of WWI, our only wartime flag.

Its Time!!! (imagine the 1972 ALP campaign song playing)

The alternative:
============
Buckley finishes out his contract in 2017, 5 players are injured before the H&A begins, including new guns Brown & Daicos, who will both miss the season. In the days before Round 1, there will be rumour - of unknown origin - that Pendlebury and Treloar are both mass-murderers, and at least one of them is the Anti-Christ, possibly both. This will be the big story despite 7 dead bodies being dug up under Sam Mitchells house & Jobe Watson being officially tried in the Hague for War crimes. This will affect our start to the season, making our opening games against Hawthorn, Sydney, West Coast, Adelaide, & Geelong more difficult, but we will win 2 of these games with the remaining 16 players not on the injury list, leading the media to laud Buckley as the greatest coach of our time, despite his having personally injured 8 of those players during training, and a knife fight with Brodie Grundy.
After the bye well have won 5 games before Buckley confesses that he was actually paid several million dollars by Carlton to coach the way he did for six years.
This will lead to speculation about replacing him as coach, though that will be scotched by Eddie defending him, Nathan having promised to be good from now on.

We wont win the flag.

-me, 2010
"The pies are going to the big dance!"-P.Daicos 2010
Visit My Website!
think positive Libra

Side By Side

PostPosted: Thu Jul 21, 2016 6:44 pm
Post subject: Reply with quote

I'll take bomber in a heart beat
qldmagpie67 

PostPosted: Thu Jul 21, 2016 6:48 pm

As long winded as that was forever35 I found it amusing and reading between the lines your obviously referring to his admission he wants to coach again at some stage as its in his blood (his words)
He was on 360 last night and said he wouldn't coach next year but was open to the idea of coaching if the board of any prospective club adopted his philosophy of coaching and give him control basically
I'm not against him as coach as if Buckely was not there but bomber said he wouldn't speak with any club that had a coach in place under any circumstances
I believe we have a top 8 list maybe top 4 with a bit of luck on the injury front and having Balme here already I'm sure that would make the job more attractive to bomber should the club and Buckley part ways
cityslick1 

PostPosted: Thu Jul 21, 2016 6:51 pm

It's not Buckley mate, it's the players... including their development, age and injuries.

Brown, Goldy, Witts, Cloke, Caf and Blair have not progressed... Swan, scharenberg, Freeman and Elliott succumbed to injury and DeGoey, Maynard, Grundy, Moore, Adams, Treloar, Broomhead, Smith and Marsh are all young men that are yet to hit their peak.

Rectify this and I still refuse to believe that Bucks isnt capable of coaching a premiership winning side.

He, and about 15 other coaches could've done it with that Geelong side.

And on Bomber... Mark Robinson and the club don't even want him back at Essendon, which should tell you everything. He became v unreliable and disorganised towards the end.
woftam Gemini

I used to be undecided, but now I'm not so sure.

PostPosted: Thu Jul 21, 2016 7:36 pm

If Bucks isn't coaching us next year then I hope to god Bomber Thompson isn't.
piedys Taurus

Heeeeeeere's Dyso!!!

PostPosted: Thu Jul 21, 2016 7:40 pm
Post subject: Re: Bomber wants a gig!! (yes, it's long)Reply with quote

35forever wrote:

The alternative:
============
.... This will be the big story despite 7 dead bodies being dug up under Sam Mitchells house...

You can bet when the CSI forensic post mortem is conducted, that all corpses will have bruises on their thigh bones, attributed to corkies from some thug's knees, possibly incurred during the course of a football match... Surprised

stui magpie Gemini

Prepare for the worst, hope for the best.

PostPosted: Thu Jul 21, 2016 8:20 pm

woftam wrote:

I'm really in two minds about him as a coach.

The guy is erratic and potentially unstable, but he has form on the board and did get a lift out of the bumbers after tird ran away to france.

Dunno.

I'm happy to back bucks but I'll go with whatever the board decides, they're in the best position to make decisions, not us.

jackcass Cancer

PostPosted: Thu Jul 21, 2016 8:27 pm

woftam wrote:

Yep, this!
Pies4shaw Leo

pies4shaw

PostPosted: Thu Jul 21, 2016 8:32 pm

Surely Collingwood wouldn't seriously consider this clown? What part could he play in achieving a finish between 12th and 18th next year?
Bob Sugar 

PostPosted: Thu Jul 21, 2016 8:43 pm

Thompson hates Collingwood.

On the day before the first, Daicos created God.

You like this.
Pies4shaw Leo

pies4shaw

PostPosted: Thu Jul 21, 2016 8:46 pm

Bob Sugar wrote:
Thompson hates Collingwood.

Peter McKenna used to say that he barracked for Essendon as a boy.
watt price tully Scorpio

PostPosted: Thu Jul 21, 2016 9:23 pm

think positive wrote:
I'll take bomber in a heart beat

+1

burnsy17 Virgo

PostPosted: Thu Jul 21, 2016 10:33 pm

jackcass wrote:
woftam wrote:

Yep, this!

Bomber will never coach anywhere again.

Spend some time on google punching in his name and you'll soon work out why.

He allegedly has some issues.

kymbo5@yahoo.com.au 

PostPosted: Thu Jul 21, 2016 10:33 pm

It's a no from me. We have an excellent coach already.

The Bears are in the market for someone who actually has a clue about coaching and managing players (people skills) so Bomber might head north.

inxs88 

PostPosted: Thu Jul 21, 2016 11:13 pm

He is out there selling a bloody book!!!! Don't get drawn in to this riff raff
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index -> General Discussion All times are GMT + 11 Hours

Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next
Page 1 of 3   

Jump to: