Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index
 The RulesThe Rules FAQFAQ
   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   CalendarCalendar   SearchSearch 

Milo on the Bolt Report

Users browsing this topic:0 Registered, 0 Hidden and 0 Guests
Registered Users: None

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index -> Victoria Park Tavern

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Jezza Taurus

2023 PREMIERS!

PostPosted: Tue Jul 26, 2016 12:58 am
Post subject: Reply with quote

Jezza Taurus

2023 PREMIERS!

PostPosted: Wed Aug 03, 2016 1:11 am

Milo was on the Bolt Report again last night, this time discussing his recent ban on Twitter and the issues of free speech.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FmctktE0xXI

think positive Libra

Side By Side

PostPosted: Wed Aug 03, 2016 9:15 am

Once again just proves that Twitter and tweeting is for morons! For saying things that they probably would not dare say face to face. I just don't get why anyone bothers. It's just so anti social. It could do really good things, and yet so many just want to use it to be nasty. If you don't like the movie, say the movie stinks, but did the actress, no matter what her colour, religion or weight on the scales is, deserve to be attacked?

And just because "others do it, or worse" doesn't make it acceptable. Double standards? Then put your money and time elsewhere. It costs nothing to have manners and be nice. Or silent. If you can't disagree with someone else's opinion without resorting to abuse, your the one with the problem.

On a side note, read the comments! Amazing how many of the Americans see Bolt! For what it's worth, I've always enjoyed reading his stuff, way back when it was the second thing after the footy I looked for in the paper!

Wokko Pisces

Come and take it.

PostPosted: Wed Aug 03, 2016 11:30 am

I think Bolta's got a mancrush Laughing
stui magpie Gemini

Prepare for the worst, hope for the best.

PostPosted: Wed Aug 03, 2016 6:10 pm

think positive wrote:
Once again just proves that Twitter and tweeting is for morons! For saying things that they probably would not dare say face to face. I just don't get why anyone bothers. It's just so anti social. It could do really good things, and yet so many just want to use it to be nasty. If you don't like the movie, say the movie stinks, but did the actress, no matter what her colour, religion or weight on the scales is, deserve to be attacked?

And just because "others do it, or worse" doesn't make it acceptable. Double standards? Then put your money and time elsewhere. It costs nothing to have manners and be nice. Or silent. If you can't disagree with someone else's opinion without resorting to abuse, your the one with the problem.

On a side note, read the comments! Amazing how many of the Americans see Bolt! For what it's worth, I've always enjoyed reading his stuff, way back when it was the second thing after the footy I looked for in the paper!

I don't mind Twitter, but then again I don't have many progressive lefties that i follow so I don't get to see all the angst ridden pap unless I go looking for it, which I sometimes do just to wind them up. Razz Laughing

Pies4shaw Leo

pies4shaw

PostPosted: Tue Feb 21, 2017 7:26 am

Here's a little more of Milo's "free speech":

https://www.theguardian.com/us-news/2017/feb/20/milo-yiannopoulos-denies-supporting-paedophilia-cpac-online-video
Pies4shaw Leo

pies4shaw

PostPosted: Tue Feb 21, 2017 7:27 am

Wokko wrote:

Well, perhaps he does: apparently for Milo (see link in previous post) 'sex between “younger boys” and older men could be a “coming-of-age relationship … in which those older men help those younger boys discover who they are”.'
Lazza 

PostPosted: Tue Feb 21, 2017 9:00 am

One fine day, the right wingers here will be intelligent enough to at least recognise the huge difference between free speech and hate speech. One entitles you to have your own opinion under peaceful societal rules irrespective of someone else’s' views, and the other incites/advocates action relating to hatred, violence and vitriolic speech against someone else that in effect cause pain, anger and sadness to the others. Radio shock jocks are a great example of these bloody imbeciles. Evil or Very Mad Mad
think positive Libra

Side By Side

PostPosted: Tue Feb 21, 2017 9:38 am

Lazza wrote:
One fine day, the right wingers here will be intelligent enough to at least recognise the huge difference between free speech and hate speech. One entitles you to have your own opinion under peaceful societal rules irrespective of someone else’s' views, and the other incites/advocates action relating to hatred, violence and vitriolic speech against someone else that in effect cause pain, anger and sadness to the others. Radio shock jocks are a great example of these bloody imbeciles. Evil or Very Mad Mad

Where are those BIG hands clapping

Mugwump 

PostPosted: Tue Feb 21, 2017 10:24 am

think positive wrote:
Lazza wrote:

Nah, lots of things in speech cause "pain, anger or sadness". And on the basis of the evidence I've seen, it's the "progressive Left" which has so much difficulty distinguishing between forthright criticism and hate speech, frequently labeling views they do not like as the latter.

I think there is such a thing as hate speech - it is speech that explicitly advocates groups being subjected to physical violence or unlawful conduct. I could live with that being banned. But the feelings of any individual, even if justified (and of course the snowflake Left find justification under every hedge) are never in themselves a good reason to suppress opinion.

Lazza 

PostPosted: Tue Feb 21, 2017 10:55 am

Mugwump wrote:
think positive wrote:
Lazza wrote:

Nah, lots of things in speech cause "pain, anger or sadness". And on the basis of the evidence I've seen, it's the "progressive Left" which has so much difficulty distinguishing between forthright criticism and hate speech, frequently labeling views they do not like as the latter.

I think there is such a thing as hate speech - it is speech that explicitly advocates groups being subjected to physical violence or unlawful conduct. I could live with that being banned. But the feelings of any individual, even if justified (and of course the snowflake Left find justification under every hedge) are never in themselves a good reason to suppress opinion.

Just putting the blame on the other side is a pathetic answer really. Rolling Eyes It is despicable nonsense that this type of attitude and behaviour only belongs to one group. Having said that, as a frequent poster to Nick's I read this type of attitude here only from the right wingers on this forum. If you can show me hate speech advocated from a left leaning poster, please feel totally free to show me their quote/s.

Putting it another way, MY opinion is that it is perfectly permissible and in fact totally credible to suppress opinion, challenge and counter any proposition that incites hate and detestable vitriol towards another person or group in our society that causes much angst to the recipients. The ONLY exceptions are people with terrorist or evil tendencies/intentions I reckon. Not an ounce of sympathy for those bastards. Evil or Very Mad Mad

Mugwump 

PostPosted: Tue Feb 21, 2017 11:33 am

Lazza, you started off by alleging that right wingers were "not intelligent enough" to distinguish between free speech and hate speech. I pointed out that the Left are certainly not good at distinguishing that either, when it suits them. You then said it was "pathetic" of me to blame one side, which is the sport you clearly commenced and I tried to balance. We're not going to make much progress with that kind of logic.

I should add that civility is a great virtue, and decency and respect for those with other views should be expected. But the use of the term "hate speech" to censor opinions which cause hurt feelings is not valid, in my view, because feelings are subjective and personal and you cannot, or should not, use a subjective power to control a public space. Note that I support prosecution of real hate speech, such as trolling advocating rape or violence etc. As with many things, I would be rather more severe on the perpetrators of that kind of hate speech than our fairly useless justice system is today.

David Libra

I dare you to try

PostPosted: Tue Feb 21, 2017 11:38 am

Pies4shaw wrote:
Wokko wrote:

Well, perhaps he does: apparently for Milo (see link in previous post) 'sex between “younger boys” and older men could be a “coming-of-age relationship … in which those older men help those younger boys discover who they are”.'

I seem to recall Stephen Fry saying something similar at one stage. It may seem repellent to us, but I'm also aware that gay men who make such claims are often simply reflecting on their own experiences as teenagers – and that leads us to the rather substantial problem of either having to assert their victimhood while they deny it, or accepting that such matters are rather more complicated than our culture insists.

Lazza 

PostPosted: Tue Feb 21, 2017 11:42 am

Mugwump wrote:
Lazza, you started off by alleging that right wingers were "not intelligent enough" to distinguish between free speech and hate speech. I pointed out that the Left are certainly not good at distinguishing that either, when it suits them. You then said it was "pathetic" of me to blame one side, which is the sport you clearly commenced and I tried to balance. We're not going to make much progress with that kind of logic.

I should add that civility is a great virtue, and decency and respect for those with other views should be expected. But the use of the term "hate speech" to censor opinions which cause hurt feelings is not valid, in my view, because feelings are subjective and personal and you cannot, or should not, use a subjective power to control a public space. Note that I support prosecution of real hate speech, such as trolling advocating rape or violence etc. As with many things, I would be rather more severe on that kind of hate speech than our fairly useless court system is today.

You are digressing, diverting and changing the topic to suit your own needs. I clarified that I meant that right wingers were "not intelligent enough" to distinguish between free speech and hate speech on this forum. Then I challenged you to provide me with evidence that this is not a true statement. Happy for you to provide this.
I say that trying to muddy the waters by some posters whinging that free speech is being disallowed when they actually mean hate speech is disingenuous of you.

Mugwump 

PostPosted: Tue Feb 21, 2017 12:10 pm

Lazza wrote:
Mugwump wrote:

I should add that civility is a great virtue, and decency and respect for those with other views should be expected. But the use of the term "hate speech" to censor opinions which cause hurt feelings is not valid, in my view, because feelings are subjective and personal and you cannot, or should not, use a subjective power to control a public space. Note that I support prosecution of real hate speech, such as trolling advocating rape or violence etc. As with many things, I would be rather more severe on that kind of hate speech than our fairly useless court system is today.

You are digressing, diverting and changing the topic to suit your own needs. I clarified that I meant that right wingers were "not intelligent enough" to distinguish between free speech and hate speech on this forum. Then I challenged you to provide me with evidence that this is not a true statement. Happy for you to provide this.
I say that trying to muddy the waters by some posters whinging that free speech is being disallowed when they actually mean hate speech is disingenuous of you.

I can't follow your logic at all, I'm afraid, and if anyone is digressing it's you, I think - but anyway, I'd say that those of us on the right are certainly regularly assailed with charges - dishonestly and unjustifiably - of racism, bigotry and various psychiatric "phobias" on this forum and by Leftists in society at large. Is that what you mean ? I'm truly not sure what you are talking about, other than you seem to be upset because right wingers do not share your view that "hate speech" is something that offends someone's feelings. And that's correct. If you want me to point out instances of where conservatives on this forum do adopt this largely Leftist position, then consider your challenge rather pointlessly successful.

You can have the last word, though, because I can't grasp the logic of your argument and it's probably not going to add much to the sum of knowledge to pursue this further, at this point.

Last edited by Mugwump on Tue Feb 21, 2017 12:11 pm; edited 1 time in total
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index -> Victoria Park Tavern All times are GMT + 11 Hours

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next
Page 2 of 7   

Jump to: