Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index
 The RulesThe Rules FAQFAQ
   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   CalendarCalendar   SearchSearch 

Possible Coup in Turkey. Details sketchy.

Users browsing this topic:0 Registered, 0 Hidden and 0 Guests
Registered Users: None

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index -> Victoria Park Tavern

Goto page 1, 2  Next
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Wokko Pisces

Come and take it.

PostPosted: Sat Jul 16, 2016 6:57 am
Post subject: Possible Coup in Turkey. Details sketchy.Reply with quote

https://www.rt.com/news/351334-ankara-shooting-jets-helicopters/

Bosphorus bridges closed, police disarmed and jets in the air.
Wokko Pisces

Come and take it.

PostPosted: Sat Jul 16, 2016 7:37 am
Post subject: Reply with quote

https://twitter.com/SkyNewsBreak/status/754049753269301248

Miltary claims to have taken control.
watt price tully Scorpio

PostPosted: Sat Jul 16, 2016 11:57 am

Wow.

There is along history of military rule & Erdogan has been running the joint like a "Putinesque" empire - Islamo-fascist in a suit.

Utter scumbag but I don't support the idea of a coup (yet)

stui magpie Gemini

Prepare for the worst, hope for the best.

PostPosted: Sat Jul 16, 2016 4:13 pm

Seems like it's over, for now.

Interesting read about the why.

http://www.heraldsun.com.au/news/world/why-did-it-all-suddenly-boil-over-in-turkey/news-story/c807da0ed458a8bdc4f7f1fb0098b580

Jezza Taurus

2023 PREMIERS!

PostPosted: Sat Jul 16, 2016 4:48 pm

It's a good summary of events, Stui. Thanks for linking the article.

It appears the coup is over for now, but this could head into two possible directions. Either a civil war in Turkey erupts with the Kurds also getting involved and ISIS exploiting the unrest, or Erdogan will crack down hard on political enemies and Islamize Turkey even further.

Very troubling times for the region.

Quote:
Heres what we know:

A group of Turkish military officers said it was taking over the country in order to restore democracy. Its unclear who is leading the coup or how much support it holds within Turkeys armed forces.

President Recep Tayyip Erdogan, who was on vacation, returned to Istanbul a few hours after the coup began. He said its organizers would face the highest price and urged his supporters to take to the streets.

Military forces took control of some state broadcasters and some airport facilities. Multiple news outlets reported gunfire and some explosions in Istanbul, the countrys largest city, as well as the capital Ankara.

In a blow to the coups organizers, President Obama and NATO Secretary-General Jens Stoltenberg expressed support for Turkeys democratically elected government and institutions.

At least 60 people have died since the uprising began, local broadcasters reported.

http://www.theatlantic.com/news/archive/2016/07/turkey-government/491579/

think positive Libra

Side By Side

PostPosted: Sat Jul 16, 2016 5:03 pm

Turkish president said coup has failed. 42 dead 100 injured.

Gees vision right now of people getting stomped.

Wokko Pisces

Come and take it.

PostPosted: Sat Jul 16, 2016 7:31 pm

The coup was probably the last chance for Turkey to return to a Kemalist secular State. Erdogan is an Islamist and a Dictator and the thing about failed coups is they allow purges and solidification of power.

I was really hoping for a relatively peaceful military victory, but it appears that Erdogan will remain in power.

The army in Turkey is charged with protecting the secular state from Theocratic take over. They're required to preform a coup to do this. Maybe for the last time they were trying to do that duty.
Morrigu Capricorn

PostPosted: Sat Jul 16, 2016 9:46 pm

Crying or Very sad they are reporting 200 dead!

This attempted coup whilst well meaning given what direction the current president is taking the country will further decimate their tourism industry which employs so very many Turks and Kurds (all the staff where we stayed on 3 different visits were Kurds - and lovely) that can't be good!

This from June before the attempted coup:

Turkey has seen a slump in arrivals this year, with civil instability and terror attacks keeping visitors away from the once-popular destination.

The number of arrivals to the country fell 34.7 per cent, year-on-year, for May the biggest drop in 22 years to 2.48million.

Each month this year has registered a double-digit percentage point fall, apart from January where visitors fell just 6.4 per cent.

Wokko Pisces

Come and take it.

PostPosted: Sat Jul 16, 2016 11:24 pm

This is Erdogan's Reichstag Fire. I'd expect emergency powers, purge of the military and judiciary and he'll rule for life; effectively becoming Sultan.

There's still fighting and the Coup forces have captured a frigate but it looks like having little popular support. Some reports are claiming that the coup was organized by even harder line Islamists so the secular forces didn't get involved and now they're being purged.

All very confusing still.
David Libra

I dare you to try

PostPosted: Sun Jul 17, 2016 1:12 am

Can't see much good coming of this, I'm afraid. And I share Wokko's and WPT's view on Erdogan.
Wokko Pisces

Come and take it.

PostPosted: Sun Jul 17, 2016 10:29 am

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-3693729/Did-Erdogan-STAGE-coup-based-Turkish-cleric-facing-extradition-botched-rebellion-claims-president-orchestrated-plot-justify-clampdown-civil-rights.html

Here's an article suggesting the same thing I did about it being a staged coup (like the Reichstag Fire). Even if it wasn't staged, just botched it gives Erdogan the justification for getting rid of any and all opposition to him and his party. Some in the government have already suggested it was a US backed coup (think Bay of Pigs level of **** up).
HAL 

Please don't shout at me - I can't help it.

PostPosted: Sun Jul 17, 2016 10:34 am

Some may in the government suggested it was a US backed coup think Bay of Pigs level of **** up, but not all.
watt price tully Scorpio

PostPosted: Mon Jul 18, 2016 2:25 pm

Wokko wrote:
This is Erdogan's Reichstag Fire. I'd expect emergency powers, purge of the military and judiciary and he'll rule for life; effectively becoming Sultan.

There's still fighting and the Coup forces have captured a frigate but it looks like having little popular support. Some reports are claiming that the coup was organized by even harder line Islamists so the secular forces didn't get involved and now they're being purged.

All very confusing still.

Good points.

Intersting article in the Sunday Age that explains the main actors by Paul McGeough:

Who is Gulen & why is Erdogan obsessed with him:

http://www.smh.com.au/world/turkey-coup-who-is-fethullah-gulen-and-why-is-recep-tayyip-erdogan-obsessed-with-him-20160716-gq76m7.html

Skids Cancer

Quitting drinking will be one of the best choices you make in your life.

PostPosted: Tue Jul 26, 2016 2:14 pm

Erdogan heavily armed his Muslim Brotherhood militia and now over 6,000 secularist soldiers have been arrested after Friday nights attempted coup and now they must be humiliated and paraded in the nude just as ISIS paraded Iraqi soldiers and then piled up and crammed like sheep, even tortured inside mosques.

http://www.michaelsmithnews.com/2016/07/lapsed-plo-terrorist-explains-what-turkeys-erdogan-is-doing-and-whats-likely-to-happen-next.html

David Libra

I dare you to try

PostPosted: Tue Jul 26, 2016 4:47 pm

It's sickening to see. Just a consolidation of power for Erdogan. Almost wonder if a successful military coup would have been a better result (and I mean as the slight lesser of two evils).
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index -> Victoria Park Tavern All times are GMT + 11 Hours

Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2   

Jump to: