Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index
 The RulesThe Rules FAQFAQ
   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   CalendarCalendar   SearchSearch 

List management - who comes, who goes and who stays?

Users browsing this topic:0 Registered, 0 Hidden and 0 Guests
Registered Users: None

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index -> General Discussion

Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next
View previous topic :: View next topic  
MightyMagpie 

PostPosted: Fri Jul 15, 2016 11:10 pm
Post subject: List ManagementReply with quote

Some very difficult decisions coming up at year's end.

We have to move at least 3 guys off the list. (As an aside, We have traded away some draft selections, but might be advantaged by the discount for 2 potential father/sons.). Best guess right now is that we would use 2 live picks and 1 rookie upgrade.

Who departs (assuming Swanny plays another year)? For mine it is Macaffer, Toovey and Goodyear. I'd like to see Macaffer looked after in some role at the club and get a rookie or VFL contract. Unlikely he will be picked up elsewhere I would have thought. Toovey is an FA (from memory) and I expect him to move elsewhere if there is interest. FA compensation (if any) might help with FS points. Goodyear is a tough call and prompted only by the facts he has only earned the 2 senior games, not set the world on fire and we must delist 3 players. If not him, then who? If Swanny retires then maybe Goodyear earns a reprieve.

My understanding is that the usual rookie contract is 1 year. With rumoured Brisbane Bears' interest looming over him, it may be necessary to promote Keeffe to the primary list or risk losing him.

Smith and Cox are deserving of upgrade, but we may need to carefully manage nominated rookies and mid-season rookies to have all our AFL-ready talent available.

Thomas is probably expendable, Golds hasn't set the VFL world on fire and Wyatt is presumably a longer term project. Gault is another difficult one. Can't see him ending up on the primary list yet so maybe a re-rookie.

inxs88 

PostPosted: Fri Jul 15, 2016 11:36 pm
Post subject: Reply with quote

We shall make up to 7-8 changes to the list. This Most bottom 8 clubs do this and some even higher. With Buckley in the last year of a contract he won't die wondering about certain 50/50 players, and as such expect the post season player reviews shall fall under 5 categories:

Trade Bait:

* J Witts: papers are stamped
* T Cloke (reckon shall stay)
* A Oxley

Delistings:

* B Macaffer (captain of Reserves 2017)
* C Gault
* M Goodyear: make hang on

Free Agents:

* N Brown (likely to stay)
* A Toovey (likely to be delisted if not taken elsewhere)

Retirees:

* D Swan: his injuries are akin to a car crash. He'll get $500,000 if he chooses not to play on as compo.

Fortunate:

* J Blair: has photos
* J White: worth persevering with
* Marley W: a battler at best, I'd move him on

Conclusion:

Don't think we are going to feel to scared by Brisbane pursuing Keefe. They had their chance in last years Rookie draft and failed to do so. Also him and J Thomas would be viewed as scum to the footy world if they left the Pies given our 2 years of unwavering support.

Big Dan 

PostPosted: Sat Jul 16, 2016 12:49 am

Trade - 3 of the following:
Witts (for picks only)

Delist:
Toovey
Gault

Retire:
Swan
MatthewBoydFanClub 

PostPosted: Sat Jul 16, 2016 10:05 am

I'd like to see Macaffer get a run of 4-5 games in the seniors. That will tell us if still has career going into next season.
Goodyear deserves another year before we give up on him. We don't want him to turn into another Ceglar.
Definitely should keep Witts unless we get a first rounder draft pick.
I think we have too many half back flankers. Oxley and Langdon should have good currency to do trades. I would retire Toovey. We need more tall timber in the forward line and back line.
Pies4shaw Leo

pies4shaw

PostPosted: Sat Jul 16, 2016 10:54 am

My but you people are fickle! Langdon played brilliantly for two seasons, then had a slightly poorer run because of an interrupted preseason and now he's to be traded???!!
RudeBoy 

PostPosted: Sat Jul 16, 2016 12:33 pm

I think Goldsack may be lucky to survive.

The Hun suggested this morning that we are keen to recruit Sam Reid from the Swans, believing that we can get his body right. If we can end up with Sam Reid, Josh Daicos, Callum Brown and a refreshed Keeffe, then we'll be in good shape.

Whether it's trading, delisting or retiring, the following are the players I really don't see a future with us beyond this year:

Witts
Oxley
Gault
Toovey
Swan
Caff
Goodyear

and possibly
Goldsack (though he's probably worth keeping in reserve)

Obviously the next few weeks will also determine whether Cloke continues with us too.
Skids Cancer

Quitting drinking will be one of the best choices you make in your life.

PostPosted: Sat Jul 16, 2016 1:00 pm

We've managed to use the most (= with GC) players on a list this year, 38.

The top 4 have used; Hawks 32, Swans 33, Crows Just 27 & the Cats 31.

John Wren Virgo

"Look after the game. It means so much to so many."

PostPosted: Sat Jul 16, 2016 3:12 pm

Pies4shaw wrote:
My but you people are fickle! Langdon played brilliantly for two seasons, then had a slightly poorer run because of an interrupted preseason and now he's to be traded???!!

this surprises me.

MightyMagpie 

PostPosted: Sat Jul 16, 2016 3:27 pm

Not sure if they would make it through the rookie draft, but it would be ideal if we could delist some of the experienced (now) borderline players and rookie them providing good experience deep down the list (injury cover) and set up our VFL side - I'm thinking of Macaffer primarily, but Goldsack and Toovey would be other possibilities.
MightyMagpie 

PostPosted: Sat Jul 16, 2016 3:33 pm

BucksIsFutureCoach wrote:
I'd like to see Macaffer get a run of 4-5 games in the seniors. That will tell us if still has career going into next season.
Goodyear deserves another year before we give up on him. We don't want him to turn into another Ceglar.
Definitely should keep Witts unless we get a first rounder draft pick.
I think we have too many half back flankers. Oxley and Langdon should have good currency to do trades. I would retire Toovey. We need more tall timber in the forward line and back line.

If you keep Goodyear you have to move someone else to make the minimum 3 changes.

If you trade Witts we would need a replacement ruckman on the list in my view. If Grundy went down in round 1 it would be season over if Cox had to ruck essentially solo. Cox has needed a 3 week (so far) break after a only a few AFL games. I don't want Moore in there and White/Cloke/Keeffe aren't great ruck options.

No idea why you would want to trade Langdon. Kid will be a fixture for several years. Oxley is borderline 22 and could be moved, but I'm not sure why you would do it unless you could get an even better player onto the list.

MightyMagpie 

PostPosted: Sat Jul 16, 2016 3:36 pm

RudeBoy wrote:
I think Goldsack may be lucky to survive.

The Hun suggested this morning that we are keen to recruit Sam Reid from the Swans, believing that we can get his body right. If we can end up with Sam Reid, Josh Daicos, Callum Brown and a refreshed Keeffe, then we'll be in good shape.

Whether it's trading, delisting or retiring, the following are the players I really don't see a future with us beyond this year:

Witts
Oxley
Gault
Toovey
Swan
Caff
Goodyear

and possibly
Goldsack (though he's probably worth keeping in reserve)

Obviously the next few weeks will also determine whether Cloke continues with us too.

Witts - up to him whether he wants to compete with Grundy and Cox. Probably would have better opportunities elsewhere, but I'd keep him if he was happy to stay.

Oxley - borderline 22, but handy to keep around. Would consider trading him if we could somehow get a better player onto the list.

Swan - will be determined by Swanny and doctors. If he can and wants to play on then he will.

Others - I agree.

Jezza Taurus

2023 PREMIERS!

PostPosted: Sat Jul 16, 2016 6:01 pm

Very surprised that people think Langdon should be traded or at the very least it should be considered Shocked
Pies4shaw Leo

pies4shaw

PostPosted: Sat Jul 16, 2016 6:26 pm

^^^^ Apparently they think the Club has too many future captains and we should share some around.
Bob Sugar 

PostPosted: Sat Jul 16, 2016 6:29 pm

Trade bait

Cloke: If the price is right.

Witts: Happy to keep as back up depending on contract size, if wants a significant pay rise i'd be looking to trade.

Broomhead: Reckon he needs to break into the 22 before seasons end or else it might be time to field some offers, Port or Crows might bite.

Delist

Toovey
Goodyear

On the day before the first, Daicos created God.

You like this.
Bob Sugar 

PostPosted: Sat Jul 16, 2016 6:35 pm

Richmond could be the team to deal with this year, they have a pretty good list and they could use both Cloke and Witts, cost? Their first rounder, that'll give us currency to chase Hoskin-Elliot.

On the day before the first, Daicos created God.

You like this.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index -> General Discussion All times are GMT + 11 Hours

Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next
Page 1 of 8   

Jump to: