Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index
 The RulesThe Rules FAQFAQ
   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   CalendarCalendar   SearchSearch 

Prague

Users browsing this topic:0 Registered, 0 Hidden and 0 Guests
Registered Users: None

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index -> Victoria Park Tavern

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Presti35 Virgo

Dick Lee for Legend Status

PostPosted: Sun Aug 07, 2016 8:34 am
Post subject: PragueReply with quote

So some guy got off his motorbike, ran me down and hit me in the back of my head. He was yelling at me in Czech, so I had no idea what he was saying.

After the commotion, some locals said he was unhappy about how long I took to walk across the crossing.

One also said they were very worried for me as he had a helmet on and a clenched fist coming toward my head. I didn't see it coming, but they said he hesitated for half a second before changing his fist into an open hand.

Still got no idea what happened. I was with about 6 or 7 others crossing the walkway. And I wasn't even at the back. And the crossing was lucky to be 3 metres long. (single lane).

Anyway, I live to cross a zebra crossing another day. [/quote]

think positive Libra

Side By Side

PostPosted: Sun Aug 07, 2016 9:53 am
Post subject: Reply with quote

I get where he's coming from, I'm one of those morons that stops for people to cross even when I don't have to, and it drives me nuts how many take their time, and don't even acknowledge it! Razz

I'm joking of course! That's fricken bizarre! We're u the smallest? Was he a gutless bully? (Swinging a helmet says yes to that!)

Hope your ok. That's really nuts

Presti35 Virgo

Dick Lee for Legend Status

PostPosted: Mon Aug 08, 2016 7:56 am

Thanks TP.

The locals telling me I was in the right and that he was a nutcase made me feel much better. We were actually waiting at the next set of lights by the time he drove up. It could have been a case of mistaken identity? Or he was looking for a problem? I wasn't wearing a Collingwood top, so it wasn't that.

There's always two sides to a story, but bloody heck, I'd love to hear his side. I guess it's possible I've done something without realising, but we had the right to cross and he was absolute miles away when we crossed. And I'd hardly call what we did slow. Just a normal pace, we knew where we were going and I wasn't looking at my phone or anything like that.

I'm not the biggest bloke going round. (Bout 77-80 kg). Perhaps he thought he'd show me up? But to attack someone that wasn't even looking is gutless. Anyway I'm just thankful he decided to open hand me instead of punch. Could have been a different story.

Just goes to show you how things can happen out of nowhere.

Only problem I've got now is when the mrs sees one of those bikes, she says he's come to finish the job.

think positive Libra

Side By Side

PostPosted: Mon Aug 08, 2016 8:39 am

Christ on a (sorry) bike!
Your missus has an evil sense of humour!

Look after your self though mate, my nephew got King hit from behind when he was travelling around Europe, and he's 6'r" and easily 100kg, and he was playing for the jets at the time. He woke up hours later in the gutter. Doesn't matter how big the bastards or you are, if you don't see them coming.

stui magpie Gemini

Prepare for the worst, hope for the best.

PostPosted: Mon Aug 08, 2016 7:09 pm

Yeah, I'm with TP. Look after yourself, I guess there's far quits everywhere.
Morrigu Capricorn

PostPosted: Mon Aug 08, 2016 7:53 pm

TBH Presti I am astounded that someone there stopped at all - ped crossings seem to be irrelevant Confused

Glad you're ok!

stui magpie Gemini

PostPosted: Mon Aug 08, 2016 8:38 pm

Actually one thing I noticed in the US is how drivers are so cautious of pedestrians at crossings.

I guess if you think that if you beep or yell at a pedestrian they may pull out an Uzi and straffe your hummer, you're more inclined to manners. Razz

think positive Libra

Side By Side

PostPosted: Mon Aug 08, 2016 11:21 pm

stui magpie wrote:
Actually one thing I noticed in the US is how drivers are so cautious of pedestrians at crossings.

I guess if you think that if you beep or yell at a pedestrian they may pull out an Uzi and straffe your hummer, you're more inclined to manners. Razz

Yup ditto for road rage, and driving in general. I actually like driving there! And they get the zipper!

Wokko Pisces

Come and take it.

PostPosted: Tue Aug 09, 2016 7:45 am

Although the Czech Republic is up there with the USA for gun laws and ownership.
David Libra

I dare you to try

PostPosted: Tue Aug 09, 2016 10:19 am

^ Basically, what that means is that an armed society is a fearful society. And yes, fear can cause people to be more polite. Is that really such a good trade off?
think positive Libra

Side By Side

PostPosted: Tue Aug 09, 2016 10:43 am

David wrote:
^ Basically, what that means is that an armed society is a fearful society. And yes, fear can cause people to be more polite. Is that really such a good trade off?

nope

and just aside, if you've spent a bit of time there, its not just fear, its just genuine polite. apart from New York, I found it everywhere, except occasionally at theme parks, and its the foreigners doing the pushing in!!

Pies4shaw Leo

pies4shaw

PostPosted: Tue Aug 09, 2016 11:21 am

David wrote:

The quote continues :"... gunfighting has a strong biological use. We do not have enough things to kill off the weak and the stupid these days. But to stay alive as an armed citizen a man has to be either quick with his wits or with his hands, preferably both. Its a good thing."

It needs to be understood as a comment made (just after Pearl Harbour) about order in an hypothetical future society in which duelling has immense social importance. Heinlein had a fine imagination (I love many of his novels) but I wouldn't mistake him for a political theorist.

Reading Heinlein is like watching Kurosawa - you can admire the heroism without thinking it would be a good thing if we all carried samurai swords in the streets or that we need to make sure that we have "enough things to kill off the weak or the stupid."
stui magpie Gemini

PostPosted: Tue Aug 09, 2016 7:32 pm

Look, the remark about the guns was a flippant one on my behalf but the observation of civility toward pedestrians was genuine.

They are genuinely far more tolerant of pedestrians and cyclists from my observation doing a lot of walking. Maybe they're just used to pedestrians marching in front of cars when they think they have right of way and so are conditioned to stop and wait, but a few times I was crossing roads and a car was waiting to turn so I waved them to go through and they shook their head/hands to say they'd wait for me.

Cyclists btw aren't trying to zip through traffic wearing lycra like their in a road race, they're generally in street clothes peddling along on a standard cycle, not one of these expensive racing bikes. Very civilised and easy to watch out for.

think positive Libra

Side By Side

PostPosted: Wed Aug 17, 2016 6:27 pm

Yep

Doing the zipper today I miss the yanks good manners!

Everyone is in a hurry here!

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index -> Victoria Park Tavern All times are GMT + 11 Hours

Page 1 of 1   

Jump to: