Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index
 The RulesThe Rules FAQFAQ
   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   CalendarCalendar   SearchSearch 

Police killings in the USA

Users browsing this topic:0 Registered, 0 Hidden and 0 Guests
Registered Users: None

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index -> Victoria Park Tavern

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15  Next
View previous topic :: View next topic  
HAL 

Please don't shout at me - I can't help it.

PostPosted: Sat Sep 30, 2017 12:49 am
Post subject: Reply with quote

How do you usually introduce yourself?
Mugwump 

PostPosted: Sat Sep 30, 2017 12:55 am

Tannin wrote:
Mummy hug.

Baby shudder.

think positive Libra

Side By Side

PostPosted: Mon Oct 23, 2017 9:59 pm

And ‘The People’ speak!

http://www.thegatewaypundit.com/2017/10/nfl-hell-several-stadiums-nearly-empty-anthem-protest-backlash-rolls-week-7-photos/

Hmm, I’m a guessing the powers that be will not be happy. Good on them! Money walks and talks!

David Libra

I dare you to try

PostPosted: Mon Oct 23, 2017 11:28 pm

Some things are more important than money. Protest isn’t a popularity contest and it will inevitably alienate some people.
Mugwump 

PostPosted: Tue Oct 24, 2017 1:40 am

As far as I can tell, the serious studies on this issue do not support systemic discrimination in shooting between black and other ethnicities, once we control for the context of a given encounter. It seems that black suspects are disproportionately represented in circumstances where shooting is likely (eg where the suspect brandishes a weapon, or creates a reasonable fear of harm). This is the factor which explains the differential rate. It is notable that recent black immigrants, largely Somali or Nigerian, rarely seem to be shot by police (though of course, as an individual, anyone can be shot in America). This does not fit the reflexive political narrative, so when politics trumps truth, it tends not to be discussed.

Why do police encounter more young black men in circumstances which make shootings more likely ? Well, non-immigrant black Americans have suffered for years from disproportionate levels of family breakdown, high rates of teenage pregnancy, low rates of educational attainment, and general economic disadvantage in a society where everyone seems be losing, except for a few at the top.

It might be wise if the kneelers actually looked at making their protests a little more sophisticated and thoughtful, rather than indulging in an act of gross oversimplification. But then, this type of protest is rarely about solving anything. Truth and level-headed inquiry should come first, politics second,but we seem to be losing the capacity for that.

think positive Libra

Side By Side

PostPosted: Tue Oct 24, 2017 7:00 am

David wrote:
Some things are more important than money. Protest isn’t a popularity contest and it will inevitably alienate some people.

Well I guess when your making 7 figures regardless of how you position yourself for the National Anthem things can be more important than money!
But once the gate drop starts hurting the bottom line those pay packets might be in trouble.

Those huge stadiums should be packed to the rafters for some of those games if you read all the way through. That’s a lot of disgruntled supporters not paying at the gate.

Does the protest get watered down if it goes on unchanged? Is there a better way?

think positive Libra

Side By Side

PostPosted: Tue Oct 24, 2017 7:04 am

Mugwump wrote:
As far as I can tell, the serious studies on this issue do not support systemic discrimination in shooting between black and other ethnicities, once we control for the context of a given encounter. It seems that black suspects are disproportionately represented in circumstances where shooting is likely (eg where the suspect brandishes a weapon, or creates a reasonable fear of harm). This is the factor which explains the differential rate. It is notable that recent black immigrants, largely Somali or Nigerian, rarely seem to be shot by police (though of course, as an individual, anyone can be shot in America). This does not fit the reflexive political narrative, so when politics trumps truth, it tends not to be discussed.

Why do police encounter more young black men in circumstances which make shootings more likely ? Well, non-immigrant black Americans have suffered for years from disproportionate levels of family breakdown, high rates of teenage pregnancy, low rates of educational attainment, and general economic disadvantage in a society where everyone seems be losing, except for a few at the top.

It might be wise if the kneelers actually looked at making their protests a little more sophisticated and thoughtful, rather than indulging in an act of gross oversimplification. But then, this type of protest is rarely about solving anything. Truth and level-headed inquiry should come first, politics second,but we seem to be losing the capacity for that.

Exactly right. And just blaming one side (even allowing for the occasion rogue or trigger happy cop) is never going to solve anything.

I’d much rather see sone focus on the sporting stars, of all colours, who are putting their money where their knees are, and that’s into programs and scholarships that assist the disadvantaged. And there are plenty that do just that.

A big mental shift is needed, not just on the blue side of the line.

David Libra

I dare you to try

PostPosted: Tue Oct 24, 2017 8:59 am

Mugwump wrote:

There are plenty of pointers to ongoing discrimination against African-American men, including far higher incarceration rates, racial profiling and random searches. The police shootings of unarmed black men are just the most horrific and visible aspect of that systemic violence. I grant that a lot of that disparity is connected to existing socioeconomic disadvantage, but all of this is irrevocably tied to a long – and ongoing – history of institutionalised racism. How can that be waved away when black men are still literally dying because some police officers interpret their mere existence as a threat?

At the end of the day, these NFL players have chosen a peaceful way to protest. They’re not screaming in people’s faces, destroying public property or trying to shout others down. They’re kneeling in silence. It’s a powerful image; no wonder some spectators can’t handle it.

Mugwump 

PostPosted: Tue Oct 24, 2017 9:32 am

^ yes, they are entitled to protest, of course. That helps make America what it is. I just think their protest is inarticulate, unreasoned by its nature and jejune, and the protest of the paying public is of course also legitimate.

As to the systemic disadvantage, we agree, but the Texas study showed that, in a given context, black men are no more likely to be shot by police than other ethnicities. I am yet to see a sound rebuttal of that rigorous study.

Black men do have worse outcomes, as I said. It doubtless begins with slavery, but the question is what factors embed the disadvantage among working class black men in modern times ? If you think it is just, or largely, the eternal catch-all of “racism”, I think that needs more rigorous evidence. Living as I do in one of the most cosmopolitan cities of the world, where individuals of every background almost always rub along together pretty amiably, I think the evidence is that most people are not racist, though they do generically discriminate on features that they see as salient to threat.

The collapse of parenting in black families was first diagnosed by Daniel Moynihan in the Johnson administration (there is a reason the term motherf*cker came to be used widely in black street gangs in the late 1960s) and the consequences have been terrible, as he predicted. If you take away from young men the stabilizing influence of a male role model who goes to work, brings home money and cares for his children, you store up a whole host of problems. I suspect that lies at the root of much of the problem, but good luck finding anyone who is prepared to kneel on behalf of individual responsibility and personal restraint. That really would be an interesting protest.

David Libra

I dare you to try

PostPosted: Tue Oct 24, 2017 10:17 am

Mugwump wrote:
though they do generically discriminate on features that they see as salient to threat.

Well that's the whole problem here, isn't it? Blackness is seen as inherently threatening, therefore some police officers will overreact and innocent people will get gunned down. A handful of deaths like that a year may not make many statistical waves, but they are of course a tragedy and one that ought to be fought back against.

Mugwump 

PostPosted: Tue Oct 24, 2017 11:00 am

David wrote:
Mugwump wrote:
though they do generically discriminate on features that they see as salient to threat.

Well that's the whole problem here, isn't it? Blackness is seen as inherently threatening, therefore some police officers will overreact and innocent people will get gunned down. A handful of deaths like that a year may not make many statistical waves, but they are of course a tragedy and one that ought to be fought back against.

Every unreasonable or unwarranted death is a tragedy. It demands inquiry and where appropriate, criminal sanction on the perpetrator. However, the argument is not about these individual anomalies but systemic killing based on race. Read the reputable Cesariolab.com, which puts the data into context using sensible statistical controls, and the effect disappears. The trouble is that young black men seem to commit, proportionately, way more felonies. I think the sociological reasons for this need to be open-mindedly explored if we really want more young black men to return home from the streets. If, instead, we would prefer to parade concern by kneeling in public stadia in the service of politically selective data, it’s best to be honest about that.

Regarding threat perception, one other statistic to ponder is that around 45% of fatal shootings of police are committed by black men (about 13% of American males). That is also data that requires context, but it says something about the realities of policing and race in the US.

Wokko Pisces

Come and take it.

PostPosted: Tue Oct 24, 2017 11:40 am

think positive Libra

Side By Side

PostPosted: Tue Oct 31, 2017 7:06 am

Well that’s all kinds of oops!

http://www.foxnews.com/sports/2017/10/29/mlbs-bruce-maxwell-who-knelt-during-anthem-is-arrested-on-gun-charge.html

stui magpie Gemini

Prepare for the worst, hope for the best.

PostPosted: Tue Oct 31, 2017 6:43 pm

Wokko wrote:

If that graph is accurate, it puts the whole thing into perspective doesn't it.

Mugwump 

PostPosted: Tue Oct 31, 2017 7:01 pm

^ yep, I thought the same. The modern obsession with collective identity is about power, far more than justice.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index -> Victoria Park Tavern All times are GMT + 11 Hours

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15  Next
Page 11 of 15   

Jump to: