Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index
 The RulesThe Rules FAQFAQ
   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   CalendarCalendar   SearchSearch 

NSW to ban greyhound racing in 2017

Users browsing this topic:0 Registered, 0 Hidden and 0 Guests
Registered Users: None

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index -> Victoria Park Tavern

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10  Next
View previous topic :: View next topic  
think positive Libra

Side By Side

PostPosted: Tue Oct 11, 2016 10:56 pm
Post subject: Reply with quote

I get your point skids, and hopefully,even though it's been overturned, the lawsget tougher, the people who make sure the laws are followed get tougher, and there is no more live baiting. I'd like to see at the very least some limit to breeding. No animal should die because it can't run fast enough, unless a natural predator is on its arse. At the very lease regulations will be tightened, and followed through. And no second chances.

And that goes for racing too.

On a brighter note, today Oscars law was officially tabled in Victoria. No more puppy farms. E Rey victory is a small step. Cheers

Morrigu Capricorn

PostPosted: Tue Oct 11, 2016 11:42 pm

Skids wrote:
And what happens to all the dogs and horses when they ban (it will NEVER happen) racing? What bout the billions, actually 10' s of billions of dollars that the racing codes generates?

If there is no money to be made then the breeding of animals to race and will stop . Animals bred for this poxy " industry" have no life unless they win a shipload of money so if there is no " monetary value" then there will be no interest.

Oh and it WILL happen - the dinosaurs became extinct and so will the racing industry!

The almighty dollar eh - the most important thing!! Who exactly benefits from the 10's of billions of dollars this corrupt and morally bankrupt industry generates? To me it seems most of the money generated on the back of animal exploitation and cruelty results from gambling - why not just bet on who flips a bottle top the way you thought or here's a radical thought perhaps less gambling may help society - who exactly benefits form the 10's of billions that racing generates????

Skids wrote:
If you banned everything that offended someone, there'd be nothing.

If you think opposition to the exploitation and cruelty of animals is about being " offended" then you have the understanding and intellect of a dumpling!

David Libra

I dare you to try

PostPosted: Thu Oct 13, 2016 7:33 pm

Culprit wrote:
Devils advocate here. An estimated 60000 greyhounds in NSW how many will find homes? The remainder that don't are dead. Flow on affect is, how many people that are employed in the industry will now be on the dole queue? The same queue everyone whines about free loaders. Just two points and as a third as they want horse racing banned as well. If no racing, the horses then become vermin as they are an introduced species. More dead animals. Big Picture ignored, ramifications are massive.

I suspect this is simpler than it looks. There's two questions at play: a) should an industry be banned and b) how should the banning process work?

The answer to a) should be a simple one of ethics. If the industry causes clear harm without any substantial mitigating benefit, then making it illegal may well be the best option. That seems like it may be the case here. The answer to b), on the other hand, has a lot to do with time and a transitional process. In some cases like, I dunno, hard drug production the harm is so severe that perhaps you have to cut it off ASAP and let the chips fall where they may, even though you know that it's going to cost people their livelihoods. In others, a transitional approach may be preferable, where you, say, gradually reduce the licenses and venues for greyhound racing over a certain period of time. An approach like that here would probably mitigate any concerns over unnecessary greyhound deaths or people not having time to find other work.

stui magpie Gemini

Prepare for the worst, hope for the best.

PostPosted: Thu Oct 13, 2016 8:06 pm

Or option C, reduce/remove the actual harm, take away the bad bits and keep the good bits.
HAL 

Please don't shout at me - I can't help it.

PostPosted: Thu Oct 13, 2016 8:09 pm

Are you still drink coke out of glass bottles?
Morrigu Capricorn

PostPosted: Thu Oct 13, 2016 8:39 pm

stui magpie wrote:
Or option C, reduce/remove the actual harm, take away the bad bits and keep the good bits.

There are no good bits!

David Libra

I dare you to try

PostPosted: Thu Oct 13, 2016 10:21 pm

stui magpie wrote:

Indeed, and this despite my post above would be my preferred solution to most problems. The only exceptions would be industries where the harm is so fundamental to it that there would be nothing else left to salvage. Smoking is one example of this, greyhound racing may be another. If the problem here is mistreatment of animals, I'm not sure you can have competitive dog racing without it.

think positive Libra

Side By Side

PostPosted: Thu Oct 13, 2016 10:45 pm

David wrote:
stui magpie wrote:

Indeed, and this despite my post above would be my preferred solution to most problems. The only exceptions would be industries where the harm is so fundamental to it that there would be nothing else left to salvage. Smoking is one example of this, greyhound racing may be another. If the problem here is mistreatment of animals, I'm not sure you can have competitive dog racing without it.

But dogs do love to chase and run. It's forcing them to do it faster than they can withstand that's the problem

As for smoking, well, 3 2 1.............bang!

Morrigu Capricorn

PostPosted: Thu Oct 13, 2016 11:58 pm

^ Bullshite- there is a massive difference between loving to run and chase and racing Rolling Eyes

http://www.animalsaustralia.org/features/greyhound-myths.php

And no one forces anyone to smoke that's a personal choice - unlike what greyhounds are subjected to by the racing "industry"!

Skids Cancer

Quitting drinking will be one of the best choices you make in your life.

PostPosted: Fri Oct 14, 2016 11:09 am

Morrigu wrote:
Skids wrote:
And what happens to all the dogs and horses when they ban (it will NEVER happen) racing? What bout the billions, actually 10' s of billions of dollars that the racing codes generates?

If there is no money to be made then the breeding of animals to race and will stop . Animals bred for this poxy " industry" have no life unless they win a shipload of money so if there is no " monetary value" then there will be no interest.

Oh and it WILL happen - the dinosaurs became extinct and so will the racing industry!

The almighty dollar eh - the most important thing!! Who exactly benefits from the 10's of billions of dollars this corrupt and morally bankrupt industry generates? To me it seems most of the money generated on the back of animal exploitation and cruelty results from gambling - why not just bet on who flips a bottle top the way you thought or here's a radical thought perhaps less gambling may help society - who exactly benefits form the 10's of billions that racing generates????

Skids wrote:
If you banned everything that offended someone, there'd be nothing.

If you think opposition to the exploitation and cruelty of animals is about being " offended" then you have the understanding and intellect of a dumpling!

Who benefits from the money?
Everybody! Around 20% goes directly to the government in taxes.
Then there's the tax paid by the 100,000's of people employed in the industry (who would be on the dole if you banned racing).
And you call me a dumpling Laughing

It just needs to be regulated properly.

I think a more important thing to do in regards to animal welfare is licensing pet owners and saving the 100 odd thousand cats & dogs the RSPCA put down annually. Not to mention the barbaric halal slaughter of our live cattle that are exported, the inhumane way chooks are kept in those poxy little cages and wild animals who are locked in zoos.

Have you even been to a racing stable?

Morrigu Capricorn

PostPosted: Fri Oct 14, 2016 8:46 pm

^ hmmm yes I know gambling from racing raises money for the government however what is raised form wagering is significantly dwarfed by what is raised from pokies - there are your billions!

And you do realise that the racing industry also gets millions of dollars from Government funding and grants yes?

if you look objectively at Greyhound racing you wil see that what it raises in revenue vs what it receives from the Government (public money) does most certainly not result in a major windfall and benefit to " everyone". That is why the NSW greyhound racing " industry" put in submissions ( long before the ban) to increase their funding as they themselves said it was " not sustainable without increased funding"

Don't get me wrong I don't give a fat rats clacker how much stupid greedy humans lose from gambling on anything not just racing - although I have seen first hand the horrible social consequences - humans have choices to participate or not !

Yes some jobs will be lost but are you suggesting that the people involved are too thick to be reskilled? ( no comment from me Razz ) Agan if we consider the NSW situation the " industry themselves in their submission stated the ban would result in the loss of around 1500 jobs - massive amount of tax being paid by these basically unskilled workers and nowhere near the loss of jobs with the demise of the car industries - times change and as those workers must adapt and up skill so must those working for gain in animal exploitation.

And I didn't call you a dumpling - I said if you think the desire to see the racing ban is as result of " being offended" then you are a dumpling. It is not a matter of being " offended" - that sounds glib and superficial and maybe there are some for who this is true. For me it is a different ideology and belief system i.e animals were not put on this earth to be abused and provide enternatinment for humans - I suspect that this is something we will have to agree to disagree on!

I couldn't agree more with somehow ( and I don't know how) stopping irresponsible fctards having pets!! And Live Export - I am stalking Senators as we speak - but it is not just Halal it is Kosher slaughter as well - they are peas in a pod ( strange eh - the mozzies and the Jews with the same fcked up religious claptrap that results in animal cruelty)

And yes I have been to racing stables. My youngest brother was a top farrier at Flemington for many of the top trainers - even shoed a couple of Melbourne Cup winners. He has always loved his horses - but he eventually walked away disgusted even though he was on bloody good coin! He still has horses and still loves them and is so glad he left the racing" industry" I learnt a lot from him!!

Sorry about the long post but I think the dicussion from opposing sides is important.

think positive Libra

Side By Side

PostPosted: Fri Oct 14, 2016 10:34 pm

As soon as people start betting on the result, that's when it all turns to shit.
Greed is a just plain evil emotion. I don't get how anyone does damage, causes pain, to an innocent animal.

Greyhound racing will be far easier to stop than horse racing. It's just too big.
At the very least the regulations will hopefully by pulled a lot tighter, and the authorities a lot more vigilant. Skid do you really think it possible to adequately regulate the industry? Greyhounds or horse racing?

Don't get me started on live exports and halal.

Off track a little, I was sure that sounded wrong so I googled it!

An Irishman applied for a job working with the local blacksmith.

Have you ever shoed horses? the blacksmith asked him.

No, replied the Irishman, but I did tell a donkey to f... off once.

Pretty sure my horses were shod!
Or maybe shooed away!

The English language is a funny bastard!

Last edited by think positive on Fri Oct 14, 2016 10:39 pm; edited 1 time in total
Morrigu Capricorn

PostPosted: Fri Oct 14, 2016 10:59 pm

^
Shoes
verb (used with object), shod or shoed, shod or shoed or shodden, shoeing.
22. to provide or fit with a shoe or shoes.
23. to protect or arm at the point, edge, or face with a ferrule, metal plate, or the like.

HAL 

Please don't shout at me - I can't help it.

PostPosted: Fri Oct 14, 2016 11:00 pm

If I have to choose one, I pick^ Shoes verb used with object shod.
stui magpie Gemini

Prepare for the worst, hope for the best.

PostPosted: Sat Oct 15, 2016 12:03 am

Morrigu wrote:
^
Shoes
verb (used with object), shod or shoed, shod or shoed or shodden, shoeing.
22. to provide or fit with a shoe or shoes.
23. to protect or arm at the point, edge, or face with a ferrule, metal plate, or the like.

This shit is why I put several english teachers into therapy.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index -> Victoria Park Tavern All times are GMT + 11 Hours

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10  Next
Page 9 of 10   

Jump to: