Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index
 The RulesThe Rules FAQFAQ
   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   CalendarCalendar   SearchSearch 

Phil Carman - Collingwood cult figure

Users browsing this topic:0 Registered, 0 Hidden and 0 Guests
Registered Users: None

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index -> General Discussion

Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next
View previous topic :: View next topic  
stui magpie Gemini

Prepare for the worst, hope for the best.

PostPosted: Wed Jul 06, 2016 8:01 pm
Post subject: Phil Carman - Collingwood cult figureReply with quote

Very nice article on Fabulous Phil on the Collingwood Forever website.

http://forever.collingwoodfc.com.au/collingwood-cult-figures-phil-carman/

The comparison to Gablett Snr is for mine accurate, if this guy had of had his head straight, if we had of got him earlier.........

But you can't go back and re-do the past. Last bit of the article.

Quote:
In 1991 he reflected on the opportunities he’d wasted. “Certainly I look back and think I didn’t make enough of myself,” he said then. “If I had my time over again I would have changed my attitude completely; I would have stayed at training, been prepared to do all the right things and become a real part of things. I’d just conform a little bit more.”

But the fact that he didn’t has helped make the legend of Phil Carman what it is. He remains an almost mythical figure, largely on the basis of that one extraordinary season and all the bizarre incidents that followed. There are still some who label him the best player they’ve seen at Collingwood – after just 66 games. The fans have long forgiven him for the indiscretions: what they have are memories of a freakishly gifted footballer who could have been anything.

Best I've ever seen at Collingwood, would have loved to have seen him play live.

Last edited by stui magpie on Fri Jul 08, 2016 7:27 pm; edited 1 time in total
Bob Sugar 

PostPosted: Wed Jul 06, 2016 8:34 pm
Post subject: Reply with quote

Gaz senior didn't have his head screwed on either.

On the day before the first, Daicos created God.

You like this.
stui magpie Gemini

Prepare for the worst, hope for the best.

PostPosted: Wed Jul 06, 2016 9:05 pm

^

Correct weight.

jackcass Cancer

PostPosted: Wed Jul 06, 2016 9:34 pm
Post subject: Re: Phil Carmen - Collingwood cult figureReply with quote

stui magpie wrote:
Very nice article on Fabulous Phil on the Collingwood Forever website.

http://forever.collingwoodfc.com.au/collingwood-cult-figures-phil-carman/

The comparison to Gablett Snr is for mine accurate, if this guy had of had his head straight, if we had of got him earlier.........

But you can't go back and re-do the past. Last bit of the article.

Quote:
In 1991 he reflected on the opportunities he’d wasted. “Certainly I look back and think I didn’t make enough of myself,” he said then. “If I had my time over again I would have changed my attitude completely; I would have stayed at training, been prepared to do all the right things and become a real part of things. I’d just conform a little bit more.”

But the fact that he didn’t has helped make the legend of Phil Carman what it is. He remains an almost mythical figure, largely on the basis of that one extraordinary season and all the bizarre incidents that followed. There are still some who label him the best player they’ve seen at Collingwood – after just 66 games. The fans have long forgiven him for the indiscretions: what they have are memories of a freakishly gifted footballer who could have been anything.

Best I've ever seen at Collingwood, would have loved to have seen him play live.

Still have Greening ahead and Daics purely because of his longevity.
Piesnchess 

piesnchess

PostPosted: Thu Jul 07, 2016 12:07 am

A very dynamic and brilliant but totally erratic player, he cost us the 1977 flag for his ludicrous hitting of Tuck right in front of the umpire. Tom Hafey never really forgave him for that, he definitely would have made a huge difference in that GF, we would have bolted the drawn one in for sure.

Chess and Vodka are born brothers. - Russian proverb.
Bob Sugar 

PostPosted: Thu Jul 07, 2016 6:08 am

Daicos is our god, it's as simpld as that.

If you don't like it, **** off

On the day before the first, Daicos created God.

You like this.
The Boy Who Cried Wolf 

PostPosted: Thu Jul 07, 2016 6:59 am

Bob Sugar wrote:
Daicos is our god, it's as simpld as that.

If you don't like it, **** off

I will never forget the magic he wove... sublime!!!
mgh3536 

PostPosted: Thu Jul 07, 2016 11:40 am

for me a forward line that included

kink, carman and daicos..... anything could happen
Cam Capricorn

Nick's BB Member #166

PostPosted: Thu Jul 07, 2016 12:11 pm

Carmen was a selfish, narcissistic dickhead with ADHD. Cost us far more than he won us. Maybe if he had gone to jail like Krak did it might have been the making of him. Coulda woulda shoulda. 66 games, zero flags, just a destructive being not just in the VFL, but everywhere he went after there too.
piedys Taurus

Heeeeeeere's Dyso!!!

PostPosted: Thu Jul 07, 2016 1:38 pm

Piesnchess wrote:
A very dynamic and brilliant but totally erratic player, he cost us the 1977 flag for his ludicrous hitting of Tuck right in front of the umpire. Tom Hafey never really forgave him for that, he definitely would have made a huge difference in that GF, we would have bolted the drawn one in for sure.

Both he and Hafey can share the blame equally for 1977.
Hafey should have told him pre-game to keep his fists down, and temper his anger until we made the GF, then do as he pleases to win us the premiership.

Plus Hafey's idiotic militray pre grand final training sessions from 1979-1981 also drove our blokes to exhaustion. 1979 & 1981 were lost opportunities.

RudeBoy 

PostPosted: Thu Jul 07, 2016 1:43 pm

Cam wrote:
Carmen was a selfish, narcissistic dickhead with ADHD. Cost us far more than he won us. Maybe if he had gone to jail like Krak did it might have been the making of him. Coulda woulda shoulda. 66 games, zero flags, just a destructive being not just in the VFL, but everywhere he went after there too.

You're being a bit harsh there Cam, though I agree with some of what you say. I'm guessing I'm a bit older than you so my memories are of watching him play as well as having him for a neighbour (for about 6 months in 1977). He was actually a very introspective and quite shy person off the field and did not really fit in to the boys club mentality of Collingwood at the time. But, he was a fitness fanatic and chose to do a lot of his own training away from the club, in part, because he didn't think the club's training regimen was professional enough. That certainly didn't win him any favours from Tommy Hafey.

Regardless of his faults, he's still the 3rd best ever player I've seen, behind only Johnny Greening and Daics.
WhyPhilWhy? 

WhyPhilWhy?

PostPosted: Thu Jul 07, 2016 2:09 pm

<------

I can forgive but never forget.
piedys Taurus

Heeeeeeere's Dyso!!!

PostPosted: Thu Jul 07, 2016 2:12 pm

WhyPhilWhy? wrote:
<------

I can forgive but never forget.

Nothing in this life will ever come close to healing the wounds of 1970 & 1977.

Piesnchess 

piesnchess

PostPosted: Thu Jul 07, 2016 2:19 pm

piedys wrote:
Piesnchess wrote:

Both he and Hafey can share the blame equally for 1977.
Hafey should have told him pre-game to keep his fists down, and temper his anger until we made the GF, then do as he pleases to win us the premiership.

Plus Hafey's idiotic militray pre grand final training sessions from 1979-1981 also drove our blokes to exhaustion. 1979 & 1981 were lost opportunities.

Dunno mate, in 77 we were around 27 points up at three quarter time, had the Fab one played we would have been 47 points up, and uncatchable. I don't see how Hafey could have done that to him, Tommy had no idea the fool would spit the dummy and deck Tuck right in front of the ump, NO coach would think a seasoned player would be THAT dumb and silly. Confused

Chess and Vodka are born brothers. - Russian proverb.
Pies4shaw Leo

pies4shaw

PostPosted: Thu Jul 07, 2016 3:18 pm

Most. Talented. Footballer. Of. All. Time. Bar. None.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index -> General Discussion All times are GMT + 11 Hours

Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next
Page 1 of 3   

Jump to: