Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index
 The RulesThe Rules FAQFAQ
   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   CalendarCalendar   SearchSearch 

Pre-Match: Pies v. Giants - All comments please

Users browsing this topic:0 Registered, 0 Hidden and 0 Guests
Registered Users: None

Post new topic   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index -> General Discussion

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10  Next
View previous topic :: View next topic  
thompsoc 

PostPosted: Tue Jul 05, 2016 11:32 am
Post subject: Reply with quote

BucksIsFutureCoach wrote:
RudeBoy wrote:
The Boy Who Cried Wolf wrote:
thompsoc wrote:
inxs88 wrote:
How is this for a "way out there idea" put Witts in the Ruck and have Grundy as a ruck rover accompanying Treloar and Pendles. The old Stanley/Blicavz trick.

I like this idea.

I have to admit... so do I

Didn't you guys see us try this and fail dismally against Gawn from the Dees?

Yeah. Didn't work. The only way to make it work is developing both Grundy and Witts as forwards, so that when one is rucking, the other can rest in the forward line. You just can't alternate the two ruckmen off the interchange bench. Maybe at some point of time in the future it will work out, but not yet. It takes time and games of experience before rucks work out their roles and no amount of intensive coaching makes any difference.

Trying once is not definitive.

RudeBoy 

PostPosted: Tue Jul 05, 2016 12:00 pm

It is when it fails definitively. Wink
thompsoc 

PostPosted: Tue Jul 05, 2016 12:08 pm

very funny, i like that!
RudeBoy 

PostPosted: Tue Jul 05, 2016 12:18 pm

kymbo5@yahoo.com.au wrote:
RudeBoy wrote:
Is there a chance Cox could keep his spot alongside Moore and Cloke in the forward line, and White come in to replace Phillips on a wing? As long as he plays way up the ground, where he can use his speed and agility, this should stop us from having an overly top heavy forward line.

Why can't we play Cloke on a wing. Would free him up, take pressure off him to kick goals and be something GWS probably won't plan for. White can play forward.

Cloke is nowhere near as fast or agile as White. Maybe a few years ago Cloke could have been played there, but he has slowed down and needs to concentrate on his prime asset, as a contested mark. I'd really like to see us go into this game with White on a wing and Cox, Moore and Cloke as our 3 tall forwards.

In: White, Adams

Out: Phillips, Smith
inxs88 

PostPosted: Tue Jul 05, 2016 12:25 pm

BucksIsFutureCoach wrote:
RudeBoy wrote:
The Boy Who Cried Wolf wrote:
thompsoc wrote:
inxs88 wrote:
How is this for a "way out there idea" put Witts in the Ruck and have Grundy as a ruck rover accompanying Treloar and Pendles. The old Stanley/Blicavz trick.

I like this idea.

I have to admit... so do I

Didn't you guys see us try this and fail dismally against Gawn from the Dees?

Yeah. Didn't work. The only way to make it work is developing both Grundy and Witts as forwards, so that when one is rucking, the other can rest in the forward line. You just can't alternate the two ruckmen off the interchange bench. Maybe at some point of time in the future it will work out, but not yet. It takes time and games of experience before rucks work out their roles and no amount of intensive coaching makes any difference.

Didn't work?? You maybe confusing the selection of both in the side vs both actually in the centre square ball ups together. I was at the game and don't remember once when both Grundy and Witts were jointly in the square for ball ups.

mackasmatt 

PostPosted: Tue Jul 05, 2016 12:38 pm

Not a fan of playing two ruckmen when Grundy is likely to get out-muscled. Much prefer what the Bulldogs did for a while, rucking Roughead solo rather than having an immobile Minson / Campbell ruin the gameplan.
----------
------------
RudeBoy 

PostPosted: Tue Jul 05, 2016 1:43 pm

inxs88 wrote:
RudeBoy wrote:
kymbo5@yahoo.com.au wrote:
RudeBoy wrote:
Is there a chance Cox could keep his spot alongside Moore and Cloke in the forward line, and White come in to replace Phillips on a wing? As long as he plays way up the ground, where he can use his speed and agility, this should stop us from having an overly top heavy forward line.

Why can't we play Cloke on a wing. Would free him up, take pressure off him to kick goals and be something GWS probably won't plan for. White can play forward.

Cloke is nowhere near as fast or agile as White. Maybe a few years ago Cloke could have been played there, but he has slowed down and needs to concentrate on his prime asset, as a contested mark. I'd really like to see us go into this game with White on a wing and Cox, Moore and Cloke as our 3 tall forwards.

In: White, Adams

Out: Phillips, Smith

No t sure why some are calling for Smith to be dropped. His last 4 weeks have been excellent and looks to have adjusted to the tempo of the game now. Assured disposal, reasonably prolific and hits targets.

I guess I was just trying to find someone to make way for Adams. Seeing as Adams last played as a defensive midfielder off the half back line, Smith seemed the logical one to make way. Otherwise, I guess Marley Williams could make way, but as he's only recently returned he really needs games under his belt. Overall, it's a difficult task being a selector, and it's only going to become harder with Marsh and Fasolo due to return as well.
qldmagpie67 

PostPosted: Tue Jul 05, 2016 2:05 pm

I think this week to be any hope we need to be a bit left field.
We aren't going to beat them trying to contain them they have to many weapons.
We first need to stop there clearance numbers so I wouldn't be bringing Adams back he has to be underdone but I would switch Maynard into the middle and tell him to crash as many packs as he can.
I wouldn't try and tag any of there guys either. Greenwood doesn't have the pace to run with them so he would be wasted but he can play a lot of 3rd man up and pack crasher as well.
We need to score so throw Varcoe Sidey Cox Cloke Moore forward. Yes only 5 forwards play a extra around the ball like Blair or DeGoey. We need to stop there movement at the coal face. Plus our 3 real talls could stretch them and make them play there spare defender as a interceptor type giving us the extra at the contests to stop there ball movement. Cloke plays the long leading type, Cox plays from the goal square and Moore leads up to 30-50m from goal so we have the short target mid range target and deep target. Varcoe and Sidey get to run around like headless chooks where ever they think they can be damaging. We need to take Shaw away from the contest.
We have to back Reid Howe Brown to handle there forwards which will be a hell of a job
White plays on the wing and gets back as extra rebounding defender and hit up target when we are exiting our defensive 50.
Treloar and Pendles just need to be free to create otherwise this could get very ugly very quickly.
Play Williams on Stevie J he might just annoy him enough to put him off his game.
If we go in trying to do what we've done the last 2 weeks and play with same we will get smashed badly. Why not change things up and roll the dice. There young they might not adapt well to different tactics
Piesnchess 

piesnchess

PostPosted: Tue Jul 05, 2016 2:58 pm

NO disgrace in losing too this mob, they have an awesome list, compliments of the League, and will possibly go onto win the Premiership. Which will make teams like the dogs, deees, saints, etc, sides who have not won a flag in decades, happy as pigs in shit, as they see a plastic team that has been in the comp for ten minutes, grab a flag before them. !
Like, if I was a dogs fan, a team that has not even MADE a GF since 1961, I would be mighty pissed off. Brisbane and swans were different, as they evolved out of Melbourne teams, south melb, and Fitzroy.

BUT the Giants, no history, zilch, nothing, gimme a break !!

Chess and Vodka are born brothers. - Russian proverb.
qldmagpie67 

PostPosted: Tue Jul 05, 2016 7:35 pm

PNC look at there draw remaining they will finish top 2 for sure more likely #1 on %. Home finals until the big one in front of what 15 odd thousand there stadium holds
And don't forget they have there academy now producing players who they get first dibs on and there special zoning. They could be a force for a few years let alone this one
Bob Sugar 

PostPosted: Tue Jul 05, 2016 8:22 pm

Ed signed off on their concessions as did the other presidents, money comes before success now days.

On the day before the first, Daicos created God.

You like this.
stui magpie Gemini

Prepare for the worst, hope for the best.

PostPosted: Tue Jul 05, 2016 9:56 pm

RudeBoy wrote:
It is when it fails definitively. Wink

It worked for a quarter, then Gawn got on top of Grundy and the dreamons midfield panstd ours. We also didn't use the talls as we've suggested so just saying we can't play the two together based on one game isn't valid. Wink

Magpietothemax Taurus

magpietothemax

PostPosted: Wed Jul 06, 2016 2:02 am

We need to model our approach to this game on how we played against the Western Bulldogs. Close them down at all costs, with intense defensive pressure. We should have won that game, and it is a blueprint of how to play against these fast teams that move the ball with lightning rapidity.
Therefore, if possible, we should select our team in a manner to as closely resemble that team as possible. If truly fit, Faz and Adams are both essential. I would also keep Cloke, to crash packs and take contested marks in F50. As for the rest, I am not too sure, but I just know that we need to select a team that can best carry out the game style that we adopted against Luke Bevridge.We are a chance, because we have demonstrated already that we are very capable of this tough, shut down style.
jackcass Cancer

PostPosted: Wed Jul 06, 2016 11:06 am

Magpietothemax wrote:
We need to model our approach to this game on how we played against the Western Bulldogs. Close them down at all costs, with intense defensive pressure. We should have won that game, and it is a blueprint of how to play against these fast teams that move the ball with lightning rapidity.
Therefore, if possible, we should select our team in a manner to as closely resemble that team as possible. If truly fit, Faz and Adams are both essential. I would also keep Cloke, to crash packs and take contested marks in F50. As for the rest, I am not too sure, but I just know that we need to select a team that can best carry out the game style that we adopted against Luke Bevridge.We are a chance, because we have demonstrated already that we are very capable of this tough, shut down style.

I think you'll find that has been our game style all season. It's the lack of consistent application that is the difference week to week more often than not compounded by a lack of stability in team selection.
STOKA35 Capricorn

PostPosted: Wed Jul 06, 2016 11:18 am

Played two average non event games and won both. This week will see if there is improvement few could return from the injury front which may make a difference But may be better for the run and may make a difference next week
Post new topic   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index -> General Discussion All times are GMT + 11 Hours

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10  Next
Page 5 of 10   

Jump to: