Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index
 The RulesThe Rules FAQFAQ
   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   CalendarCalendar   SearchSearch 

Jarrod Witts swap for Hoskin Elliott

Users browsing this topic:0 Registered, 0 Hidden and 0 Guests
Registered Users: None

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index -> General Discussion

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5
View previous topic :: View next topic  
kymbo5@yahoo.com.au 

PostPosted: Fri Jul 01, 2016 11:57 pm
Post subject: Reply with quote

Presti35 wrote:
kymbo5@yahoo.com.au wrote:
I have serious doubts on Rockliff as a genuine star. He gets a lot of the footy granted but he doesn't truly influence games nor is he the architect of scoring plays like Pendles, Priddis, Selwood, Dangerfield, Sloane, Boyd, Kennedy of the Swan variety etc.
I think if he was in the black n white he be another whipping boy as he would frustrate the heck out of us.

If Brisbane rang you up and offered a trade, would you trade him in for Witts? Straight swap?

Or would you prefer to take an earlier pick from them?

Intriguing question. Won't happen. But I think I'd say no. I'm in the 'Witts hasn't reached his prime yet" camp. There's gold to be gained when he does and its not like we are short of midfielders.

5150 Sagittarius

PostPosted: Sat Jul 02, 2016 12:21 am

Getting rid of Witts will only lead to further angst from the "keep Ceglar" and to a lesser extent "keep Woods" brigades. They are birthing enough as it is.

Witts is like a Penfolds 389, not too expensive to get when young and you could drink or sell within 5 years and be happy with the results or have the patience to cellar a little longer and enjoy it at its peak and be very happy.

At worst you've got vinegar.
Bucks2014 

PostPosted: Sat Jul 02, 2016 3:41 pm

kymbo5@yahoo.com.au wrote:
I have serious doubts on Rockliff as a genuine star. He gets a lot of the footy granted but he doesn't truly influence games nor is he the architect of scoring plays like Pendles, Priddis, Selwood, Dangerfield, Sloane, Boyd, Kennedy of the Swan variety etc.
I think if he was in the black n white he be another whipping boy as he would frustrate the heck out of us.

Valid points, although it's pretty hard to influence games when your getting smashed every week. He's also had a very interrupted year injury wise, possibly fits right in with us.

For what it's worth, think and hope Witts stays, unless we get offered something to good to refuse.

RudeBoy 

PostPosted: Sat Jul 02, 2016 4:12 pm

jackcass wrote:
RudeBoy wrote:
I think some of you are overlooking the fact that Witts is unlikely to want to stay with us unless he's getting a regular senior game. Given the form of Grundy, Cox and White, plus the development of Wyatt and the return of Keeffe, he is destined to remain mainly a VFL player at the Pies. He'd be mad to stay at Collingwood. So while some would like us to keep him as a back up ruckman, given his 5 years with us, I reckon that's totally unrealistic. I say trade him, to give him the opportunity to flourish elsewhere and enable us to recruit a player to suit our current needs.

But that begs the question at which club would he assume the number 1 ruck role he'd presumably want from the incumbent. It'd be a short list. Possibly the Tigas but Hamson seems to have come of age, possibly the Doggies if they aim to free up Roughy to a KP role, possibly the Hawks if they want Big Boy to play the Hale role and they see Wittsy as a better option than Ceglar, possibly Freo given the age and issues of Sandilands.

And weren't you the poster that started the "recruit a ruckman" thread?

There would be several clubs queuing up for Witts. I did start a thread "recruit a ruckman", because I felt we needed to have a ready made established ruckman to work with Grundy. As it is we have 4 developing young rucks in Grundy, Witts, Cox and Wyatt, but they are all 'babes' in terms of experience. I will say that in recent weeks Grundy has improved markedly, so that's a very good sign for us.
stui magpie Gemini

Prepare for the worst, hope for the best.

PostPosted: Sat Jul 02, 2016 8:23 pm

RudeBoy wrote:
jackcass wrote:
RudeBoy wrote:
I think some of you are overlooking the fact that Witts is unlikely to want to stay with us unless he's getting a regular senior game. Given the form of Grundy, Cox and White, plus the development of Wyatt and the return of Keeffe, he is destined to remain mainly a VFL player at the Pies. He'd be mad to stay at Collingwood. So while some would like us to keep him as a back up ruckman, given his 5 years with us, I reckon that's totally unrealistic. I say trade him, to give him the opportunity to flourish elsewhere and enable us to recruit a player to suit our current needs.

But that begs the question at which club would he assume the number 1 ruck role he'd presumably want from the incumbent. It'd be a short list. Possibly the Tigas but Hamson seems to have come of age, possibly the Doggies if they aim to free up Roughy to a KP role, possibly the Hawks if they want Big Boy to play the Hale role and they see Wittsy as a better option than Ceglar, possibly Freo given the age and issues of Sandilands.

And weren't you the poster that started the "recruit a ruckman" thread?

There would be several clubs queuing up for Witts. I did start a thread "recruit a ruckman", because I felt we needed to have a ready made established ruckman to work with Grundy. As it is we have 4 developing young rucks in Grundy, Witts, Cox and Wyatt, but they are all 'babes' in terms of experience. I will say that in recent weeks Grundy has improved markedly, so that's a very good sign for us.

Cox and Wyatt are being trained to be KP forwards who can play ruck. Same as Moore, White and Gault.

we have 5 options for second ruck and 2 for first ruck.

inxs88 

PostPosted: Sun Jul 10, 2016 8:31 pm

Can't see Jarrod getting any game time soon with Brodie's continued dominance. Brodie when interviewed on SEN today stated his preference to Ruck 100% of the time like Goldstein, Martin and Gawn.

So let's use Witts' currency and get a good trade!

Darkstranger 

PostPosted: Sun Jul 10, 2016 9:04 pm

5150 wrote:
Getting rid of Witts will only lead to further angst from the "keep Ceglar" and to a lesser extent "keep Woods" brigades. They are birthing enough as it is.

Witts is like a Penfolds 389, not too expensive to get when young and you could drink or sell within 5 years and be happy with the results or have the patience to cellar a little longer and enjoy it at its peak and be very happy.

At worst you've got vinegar.

P389 around $70-$80 a bottle ? I call that expensive.

RudeBoy 

PostPosted: Sun Jul 10, 2016 9:17 pm

For those suggesting we should keep Witts as insurance, let's not forget that it's him, not us, who will most likely seek a trade. Why would he contemplate spending the next decade as Grundy's understudy? He wanted to stay with us this year because he thought he could assume the number one ruck spot, but that dream has all but vanished. Grundy has stolen Witts' spot and so Witts will seek a trade to a club where he can play in the seniors every week.
inxs88 

PostPosted: Sun Jul 10, 2016 9:26 pm

RudeBoy wrote:
For those suggesting we should keep Witts as insurance, let's not forget that it's him, not us, who will most likely seek a trade. Why would he contemplate spending the next decade as Grundy's understudy? He wanted to stay with us this year because he thought he could assume the number one ruck spot, but that dream has all but vanished. Grundy has stolen Witts' spot and so Witts will seek a trade to a club where he can play in the seniors every week.

Exactly right, his hesitancy I re-signing in May suggests as much. Unfortunately, it's all about trading up any superfluous assets like Witts.

neil Sagittarius

PostPosted: Sun Jul 10, 2016 9:27 pm

RudeBoy wrote:

Maybe but using him as trade bait last year may also be a cause

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index -> General Discussion All times are GMT + 11 Hours

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5
Page 5 of 5   

Jump to: